Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Are you Emigrating, or Escaping?

Are you Emigrating, or Escaping?

Old Dec 12th 2011, 4:05 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you Emigrating, or Escaping?

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
What I'm saying is, if you choose a new country based on perceived positives over your own county's negatives, you're going to be disappointed.
If perceived positives come true, how is this a bad thing?

There you go generalizing again.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 4:10 am
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, I'm not Confucius, I don't know what I'm saying half the time.

I'm not getting into an intelectual brawl with you guys, I'm not that clever. That stupid periodic table challenge that was posted last week gave me an embarrassingly low score

I speak from the heart, right or wrong.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 4:16 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what I'm saying half the time.
For posterity
Old Dec 12th 2011, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

Ailsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really nice

lol... forums eh... this sort of thread is why i don't go on them much...

My tuppence worth for what its worth...

If your a miserable git in one country... the chances are you'll still be a miserable git in another... different surroundings won't change the inner personality

Flip side is if your generally laid back and happy go lucky in one place, chances are.... well you get the idea!

I have many many reasons for wanting to move, in honesty a lot of it comes down to approaching 40 and wanting to try something different... You only live once...!

To all those bickering.... if you wanna spend your life sat on a pc arguing with people you've never met... wire in... whatever makes you feel good about yourself...
Old Dec 12th 2011, 10:32 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

So it's not just Australia that gets the wide eyed idiot wannabe's then
Old Dec 12th 2011, 12:01 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

I think I did a bit of both - I escaped the UK because I found it grey and miserable and it did nothing for me. I am happy to go back and visit and do all the things like eat a curry, fish and chips, take photos in Waitrose and have sunday lunch in a 16th century pub BUT then I know I will happily fly home because we emigrated to Canada where my heart belongs.
There are good and bad things here in NS but on balance it just feels right. I LOVE all the stuff like the lakes, the school buses, the highways, the stop signs, the weather bombs, the flurries. Love it all
Old Dec 12th 2011, 12:04 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I think I did a bit of both - I escaped the UK because I found it grey and miserable and it did nothing for me. I am happy to go back and visit and do all the things like eat a curry, fish and chips, take photos in Waitrose and have sunday lunch in a 16th century pub BUT then I know I will happily fly home because we emigrated to Canada where my heart belongs.
There are good and bad things here in NS but on balance it just feels right. I LOVE all the stuff like the lakes, the school buses, the highways, the stop signs, the weather bombs, the flurries. Love it all
The 'stop signs' ?
Old Dec 12th 2011, 12:10 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
The 'stop signs' ?
yep -sad I know!
Old Dec 12th 2011, 12:22 pm
Blonde, but not really.

Joolschweetie is a jewel in the roughJoolschweetie is a jewel in the roughJoolschweetie is a jewel in the roughJoolschweetie is a jewel in the rough

I agree there are far too many (IMHO) vague 'Daily Mail' type reasons for emigrating including the classic "this country has gone to the dogs" and "we want a better life", but I guess these are reasons nonetheless, who am I to judge.

In truth, it was as simple for us as my (now) fiance living in the UK for 5 years and not being able to settle and it being a case of me trying to live over here or us break up eventually. I had a great job in the UK and am close to my family, however I owe it to my OH to try life over here (it helps that I do love Canada and have spent considerable time out here before moving).

However, I have been guilty of using the above vague answers in response to people constantly asking why we were moving. It's just easier than being mocked and sniggered at because you moved for your relationship. Now if anyone asks, I usually say " Because we were looking for a better quality of life", they nod along sagely and agree that the UK has gone to the dogs. Lol.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 12:27 pm
Happy

Originally Posted by Joolschweetie
I agree there are far too many (IMHO) vague 'Daily Mail' type reasons for emigrating including the classic "this country has gone to the dogs" and "we want a better life", but I guess these are reasons nonetheless, who am I to judge.

In truth, it was as simple for us as my (now) fiance living in the UK for 5 years and not being able to settle and it being a case of me trying to live over here or us break up eventually. I had a great job in the UK and am close to my family, however I owe it to my OH to try life over here (it helps that I do love Canada and have spent considerable time out here before moving).

However, I have been guilty of using the above vague answers in response to people constantly asking why we were moving. It's just easier than being mocked and sniggered at because you moved for your relationship. Now if anyone asks, I usually say " Because we were looking for a better quality of life", they nod along sagely and agree that the UK has gone to the dogs. Lol.
I think you should be able to say that its for your relationship. Thats an admirable thing to do in my opinion - to move for your other halfs happiness if you are ok to try it.
Its funny, we have that - lots of people we know back in the UK nod sagely and say its gone to the dogs too
Old Dec 12th 2011, 12:42 pm
Blonde, but not really.

Joolschweetie is a jewel in the roughJoolschweetie is a jewel in the roughJoolschweetie is a jewel in the roughJoolschweetie is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I think you should be able to say that its for your relationship. Thats an admirable thing to do in my opinion - to move for your other halfs happiness if you are ok to try it.
You should be able to say it, and we did try to explain it but the way people have responded to that was truly depressing; morbidly trying to figure out how it would work if we split up "what about your stuff? the pets? the future kids?"
Seriously, people just automatically then want to give their 2 penn'orth about your relationship - it's tiring and totally bloody irritating

Also, I'm not one of those misty-eyed, softly-spoken people, who could say something like "we're moving because we're in love" without being laughed at.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 12:52 pm
Happy

Originally Posted by Joolschweetie
You should be able to say it, and we did try to explain it but the way people have responded to that was truly depressing; morbidly trying to figure out how it would work if we split up "what about your stuff? the pets? the future kids?"
Seriously, people just automatically then want to give their 2 penn'orth about your relationship - it's tiring and totally bloody irritating

Also, I'm not one of those misty-eyed, softly-spoken people, who could say something like "we're moving because we're in love" without being laughed at.
oh we got that kind of response for every reason we gave for leaving, people could not just accept that we didnt want to live there anymore. How can we possibly want to live somewhere else? Especially somewhere that has snow all year was one of the comments.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 1:39 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

I think Dave's getting a pretty hard time here. There he is, sitting in Glasgow, dreaming of "barbeques, Timmies, Canadian Tire, metres of snow and muscle cars".

Unlike many people who come here with fantastical aspirations, he's set the bar at a level that Canada can easily deliver. His dreams are going to come true.

Canada is a great place if you're easily pleased.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 1:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I think Dave's getting a pretty hard time here. There he is, sitting in Glasgow, dreaming of "barbeques, Timmies, Canadian Tire, metres of snow and muscle cars".

Unlike many people who come here with fantastical aspirations, he's set the bar at a level that Canada can easily deliver. His dreams are going to come true.

Canada is a great place if you're easily pleased.
Hey be careful he might think you are only here for the money
Or are you???
Old Dec 12th 2011, 1:47 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I've been on this forum, on and off for over 4 years. In that time I've seen the good and bad stories of the immigration process.

So I've starting thinking, that a high percentage of expats have moved to Canada for the wrong reasons. Things like "I hate this country now", or "there's no work here", or even "my children have no future here" etc etc.

My pet hate is when I read about folk who move to Canada because it was "too hard to get into the USA", or "Australia was too far away"

These are not reasons to move to Canada, they are excuses to leave your own country. And when you do make the move, how depressed will you be when you realize it's just the same, and maybe even worse than what you left behind.

I think the reason I'm getting so uptight about this, is because of the application delay stories I'm reading about. Is it possible that if more people took the time to assess their situation in this country, and decided that they could have a better life if they just changed a few things and made more of an effort, then CIC wouldn't have such a HUGE pile of applications to sift through, from people, many of whom decided to move to Canada on a whim, or because Oz was full.

So what's my story, and could we have a better life if we stay here?

Well, yes, probably. We could get a bigger house. I could get some daft American rust-bucket, I could go fishing every weekend, Ailsa could get a much higher paid job, I could grow my own small business into something big, and our kids are at an age where they will go with the flow.

But it's not Canada.

We want to move BECAUSE of the differences. We won't be looking for british pubs, or footy, or be upset with not seeing eastenders, or not getting baked beans etc etc. We want Tim Hortons, and Canadian Tire, and rusty old muscle cars sitting on the driveway, knowing I can buy parts and if I do get to drive it, it won't look ridiculous like it would on a narrow wet road in Scotland. We want to know it will be sunny in Summer, and snowy in winter, even if it is extreme. We like the accents, we like the space, we even like the stereotype attitude that Canadians seem to have from other nations.
Some seem to complain of Canada having no culture compared to the UK. What do they mean by that? Going to a museum then back to ye olde pub for a steak pie and a pint of best ale?

Maybe I'm lacking in Culture then. I want to have Barbie's at the weekend, maybe go to a comedy club once a month, teach my kids how to ice skate, maybe get them into Hockey, learn the rules of baseball and football, and drive on the wrong side of the road, lol, I want all of that.

We are not moving across the Atlantic because we feel our country has nothing to offer. We just want to do all things we've wanted to do half our lives, but were unable because Scotland was not the right place for us.

So now we sit, and wait for our application to be processed. My only link to Canada is reading this forum, or some excellent blogs from folk on here, or googling Canada for places to work live and play. Ailsa has work coleagues she can contact for the odd photo update, but it's really tough living here, knowing that your heart is in another country. Every day just watching the clock tick by, waiting for the day you can book flights and get on with the rest of your life.

Now I know I'm going to get the odd flaming, but the truth is, I'd rather be miserable in Canada, than miserable in Scotland

Dave.
I think you are being truly presumptuous here, but you are entitled to your opinions

And then you go on to say that it's really tough living in the UK knowing your heart is in another country etc. Do you really think it was any easier for those of us that felt the same way, waiting for the peeps at CIC to stamp the visa application as a go?

You must get on with your own life, the bods at immigration might say no, they might say yes, but in the mean time you have to make the best of what you have got. I saw in your blog that you had sold and bought a car that you thought would be more useful while you prepare for your move - we didn't do that sort of thing until we got the go ahead, you can't tie up lose ends on your current life until you know for definite the move is going to happen surely? That would just make the wait seem longer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.