Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Are you Emigrating, or Escaping?

Are you Emigrating, or Escaping?

Old Dec 22nd 2011, 1:45 pm
Living in the Truman Show

gillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Are you Emigrating, or Escaping, or simply dreaming?

Originally Posted by FirstRatofftheShipUK
I do love this site, great insight into my own country.
I add my 2 pence worth below, trotting out what I hold to be Factoids:

1) Canadians are general a more 'innocent' bunch that your average Brit or Euro-type. I have never really know a true Candian cynic, as opposed to plently of German Nilhists, as a total generalisation, of course.

2) Canada is a physically predictable country - it has a defined Climate, and not just "weather"...it WILL snow in most of the country every year at Christmas, you WILL get a nice suntan every Summer....

3) You will make friends quickly, be invited to dinner parties by people you have just met, will be treated in conversation to the most intimate details of their lives, and will be asked by total strangers upon a first meeting, "So what do you do?" (which actually means, what do you earn $ ?")

4) Every Canadian does own at least 1 brightly coloured, scratchy wool 'touque'; those who deny this are simply lying.

5) Outside of perhaps old Quebec, parts of Victoria and Ottawa, and perhaps Halifax, Canada is, generally, pretty much devoid of Architectural history when compared to The UK/Europe; any offended parties please do correct me here.

6) If one doesn't work, one starves. It is economically not possible to live on Benefits and still Holiday in Spain, as can comfortably be done by many Brits. Full stop.

7) All Canadians will get a decent basic State Pension regardless of how long they live/work in Canada before Retirement.

8) It will never be possible to purchase a decent bottle of Oster Bay whilst food shopping at Safeways. Stalinist Licensing is oddly king, notwithstanding a culture of generally 'hands off' government, of the David Cameron ilk. However, the standarised Government Liquor Stores will always have a 'cozy feeling' and reassuringly particular smell.

9) Generally, if any mechanised vehicle has 4 turning wheels it will be allowed on the road - even those with rust holes on the floorboards where one can watch the Highway stripes go by - as long as it doesn't pollute too much.

10) That very same vehicle will be broken into at least 1 time if you live in Greater Vancouver for any length of time. A Junkie is a Junkie, and all that. The best Insurance Policy tip: Simply leave the Driver door unlocked with a Michael Buble CD on show...saves the smashed Window Excess. Respect.

11) However, you will not see litter on the streets, or feel 'intimidated' by Youths, even in areas of low socio-economic status.

12) Whenever in China Town in Vancouver you will feel like you have been there before. You have, in almost every Hollywood big action Blockbuster between 1980 and 2000, the stock car chase scene was filmed there.

13) In every University lecture - even at the 1st Year level - there will always be open debate, even if it is just started for its own sake. This stands in stark opposition to the average lonely UK Prof who relies on either Mature Students or American PHD students to break the silence.

14) Canada (especially in Rural areas) is still a Christian Country deep at its core; this is just not spoken about openly as it is in The USA.

15) Patriotism just does not exist - in The USA it does and is obvious, in The UK, it does, but its 'just not the done thing to fly one's own flag'. For the average Jo, Patriotism may go as far as a Molson Beer can but not much deeper. Internationally, everyone still loves Canadians despite CSIS have much deeper, darker tentacles than one would think.

16) No Utility Companies will ever be held in Foreign hands.

17) Like in most Developed countries, every Immigrant to Canada will at some point in their life at least once be told "If you don't like it, ***** off back to where you come from". In BC, it would likely emminate from a Trade Unionist.

18) People are generally much healthier, happier and more contended with a rosy (if even somewhat naive view) of the world that revolves around them.

19) Comfortingly, it is feasible to simply close one's eyes and point to any part of any Provincial map, and 9 times out of 10, one's children will receive a full, world-class, free State Education to 18. What they do from that point is solely on their own merits and innate abilities alone.

20) Even in large Urban area, at some point some species of furry Mammal will be seen from your Kitchen window.

By way of summary, there is a fantastic film from 1997 directed by Atom Egoyan- The Sweet Hereafter- that in my opinion should be required viewing as part of the Immigration process; a great, although upsetting at times, insight into the Psyche of the Canadian people.

Certainly would be far more useful than the 'Life in The UK' farce over here. Who really gives a toss what % of Luton originates from Bangladesh, when compared to Pakistani, or West Indian? I doubt even they do.

Well for what its worth, I commend that to The House.

FROTSUK
All I can say to that is 'What planet are you living on?' 'coz it aint the same one I'm on....
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

FirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really nice

Originally Posted by gillyd65
All I can say to that is 'What planet are you living on?' 'coz it aint the same one I'm on....
Quite - I would never use "coz it aint" in public conversation.
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 1:59 pm

gillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of light

Oops apologies for being so ignorant in public conversation. I will correct myself if you will let me ... 'because it is not the same one I am on'.... I've only been here for 4 months and still have a bit of humour left in me. Merry Christmas (or Happy Holidays if you are Canadianised).
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

Optimistic Pessimist is an unknown quantity at this point

+1
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 2:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

But if he is a criminal lawyer defending his clients Im sure such phrases like that come up in conversations from his clients
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Optimistic Pessimist
+1
Hi Optimistic - how is life treating you? Glad you liked my gutter style public speaking
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 2:29 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you Emigrating, or Escaping?

Ah, we have a festive troll. Probably yet another version of an existing troll.

A fairly determined and patient troll, however. It must have taken quite some time to distill that information from other posts and Wiki entries.
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

Optimistic Pessimist is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Optimistic - how is life treating you? Glad you liked my gutter style public speaking
Hi Gilly

Gutter style of speaking? lol, if thats gutter style, I am right down there with u! Glad to see that 4 months here and you haven't (or should that be have not) lost your sense of humour

I am ok thanks, ready for Xmas, gifts all brought and wrapped. 8 year old niece was a nightmare to buy for! I hope u and the famliy are all well.

Will send u a PM.
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

FirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really nice
Default Re: Are you Emigrating, or Escaping?

Originally Posted by Souvy
Ah, we have a festive troll. Probably yet another version of an existing troll.

A fairly determined and patient troll, however. It must have taken quite some time to distill that information from other posts and Wiki entries.
What is 'Wiki'? Sorry am afraid that my post solely derives from my own experience of living in both The UK and Canada, in about equal measure, over my some 30 odd years of life. I believe it is quite an accurate little record actually.

Like all personal insight, others may take it, or leave it, have a think about it, or bin it...there are those out there that would no doubt agree with my observations.

Troll? Bit sharp, we have never even met...

FROTSUK
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 2:39 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I do love this site, great insight into my own country.
I add my 2 pence worth below, trotting out what I hold to be Factoids:

1) Canadians are general a more 'innocent' bunch that your average Brit or Euro-type. I have never really know a true Candian cynic, as opposed to plently of German Nilhists, as a total generalisation, of course.

2) Canada is a physically predictable country - it has a defined Climate, and not just "weather"...it WILL snow in most of the country every year at Christmas, you WILL get a nice suntan every Summer....

3) You will make friends quickly, be invited to dinner parties by people you have just met, will be treated in conversation to the most intimate details of their lives, and will be asked by total strangers upon a first meeting, "So what do you do?" (which actually means, what do you earn $ ?")

4) Every Canadian does own at least 1 brightly coloured, scratchy wool 'touque'; those who deny this are simply lying.

5) Outside of perhaps old Quebec, parts of Victoria and Ottawa, and perhaps Halifax, Canada is, generally, pretty much devoid of Architectural history when compared to The UK/Europe; any offended parties please do correct me here.

6) If one doesn't work, one starves. It is economically not possible to live on Benefits and still Holiday in Spain, as can comfortably be done by many Brits. Full stop.

7) All Canadians will get a decent basic State Pension regardless of how long they live/work in Canada before Retirement.

8) It will never be possible to purchase a decent bottle of Oster Bay whilst food shopping at Safeways. Stalinist Licensing is oddly king, notwithstanding a culture of generally 'hands off' government, of the David Cameron ilk. However, the standarised Government Liquor Stores will always have a 'cozy feeling' and reassuringly particular smell.

9) Generally, if any mechanised vehicle has 4 turning wheels it will be allowed on the road - even those with rust holes on the floorboards where one can watch the Highway stripes go by - as long as it doesn't pollute too much.

10) That very same vehicle will be broken into at least 1 time if you live in Greater Vancouver for any length of time. A Junkie is a Junkie, and all that. The best Insurance Policy tip: Simply leave the Driver door unlocked with a Michael Buble CD on show...saves the smashed Window Excess. Respect.

11) However, you will not see litter on the streets, or feel 'intimidated' by Youths, even in areas of low socio-economic status.

12) Whenever in China Town in Vancouver you will feel like you have been there before. You have, in almost every Hollywood big action Blockbuster between 1980 and 2000, the stock car chase scene was filmed there.

13) In every University lecture - even at the 1st Year level - there will always be open debate, even if it is just started for its own sake. This stands in stark opposition to the average lonely UK Prof who relies on either Mature Students or American PHD students to break the silence.

14) Canada (especially in Rural areas) is still a Christian Country deep at its core; this is just not spoken about openly as it is in The USA.

15) Patriotism just does not exist - in The USA it does and is obvious, in The UK, it does, but its 'just not the done thing to fly one's own flag'. For the average Jo, Patriotism may go as far as a Molson Beer can but not much deeper. Internationally, everyone still loves Canadians despite CSIS have much deeper, darker tentacles than one would think.

16) No Utility Companies will ever be held in Foreign hands.

17) Like in most Developed countries, every Immigrant to Canada will at some point in their life at least once be told "If you don't like it, ***** off back to where you come from". In BC, it would likely emminate from a Trade Unionist.

18) People are generally much healthier, happier and more contended with a rosy (if even somewhat naive view) of the world that revolves around them.

19) Comfortingly, it is feasible to simply close one's eyes and point to any part of any Provincial map, and 9 times out of 10, one's children will receive a full, world-class, free State Education to 18. What they do from that point is solely on their own merits and innate abilities alone.

20) Even in large Urban area, at some point some species of furry Mammal will be seen from your Kitchen window.

By way of summary, there is a fantastic film from 1997 directed by Atom Egoyan- The Sweet Hereafter- that in my opinion should be required viewing as part of the Immigration process; a great, although upsetting at times, insight into the Psyche of the Canadian people.

Certainly would be far more useful than the 'Life in The UK' farce over here. Who really gives a toss what % of Luton originates from Bangladesh, when compared to Pakistani, or West Indian? I doubt even they do.

Well for what its worth, I commend that to The House.

FROTSUK

I don't think any of this holds. This bit especially made me chuckle:

"If one doesn't work, one starves. It is economically not possible to live on Benefits and still Holiday in Spain, as can comfortably be done by many Brits. Full stop."

doesn't Canada have whole towns of people living on benefits and taking holidays? Half the population of Newfoundland works 14 weeks a year and most of the native population doesn't work at all. Canadians are bloody lucky to have all those generous immigrants paying taxes and keeping them in their government jobs.
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't think any of this holds. This bit especially made me chuckle:

"If one doesn't work, one starves. It is economically not possible to live on Benefits and still Holiday in Spain, as can comfortably be done by many Brits. Full stop."

doesn't Canada have whole towns of people living on benefits and taking holidays? Half the population of Newfoundland works 14 weeks a year and most of the native population doesn't work at all. Canadians are bloody lucky to have all those generous immigrants paying taxes and keeping them in their government jobs.
Finally - a man with a sense of humour. Do keep chuckling. Touche!