Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Would you do it all again?

Would you do it all again?

Old May 9th 2010, 3:25 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Would you do it all again?

Originally Posted by Nibbles2005
Oh how i wish people could express opinions without other people feeling so threatened they have to be rude and obnoxious. So here I go to open myself up to the same as I would hate to spoil the fun of lightening there small lives by giving them a reason not to do so.

I totally agree with these posters, Canada is not what it used to be.
Protectionism is ruining it for many including the canadians, salary and conditions are abismal and worker rights unless you are in a union are none existant. Contract terms like "you can be dismissed at any time for any reason or no reason" come as standard with a whole 2wks pay and bullying is a huge issue in the workplace. Healthcare in reality is far less than free and wait list are very long with no private alternative because canada deemed it "a breach of human rights". Salaries are low, costs are high and climbing and standards of living for 78% of white english speaking immigrant is lower in all terms than before an emigration "quote from the Canadian newcomer research centre of Ontario".

The grass is not greener, the people maybe friendly on the street but the work place stinks, benefits stink, opportunities are biased and stink, costs stink and protectionism is first, second, third fourth and everything to them. Come here and forget your savings, your pension, your career, any job security and be prepared to struggle every day, stress every day and go home before you know it poorer and sadder and not better for the experience.

Am I bitter, yes but so are the other 67% who head home in the first year from the UK who move here and the 78% who head home in first 3 yrs and the 89% who head home within 5yrs. Has Canada question why? No, they take the money, laugh and take the taxi to the airport your uk medical consultant will be driving because he can't work here.

Ok boys waggle your little parts and tear me apart for daring to tell the truth you don't agree with or can't face
I;m doing rather swimmingly thanks, so I guess it was greener for me and I'm the 11 percent who stay in the fist 5 years.

Where are these figures from that you quote?
Old May 9th 2010, 3:29 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Flaykee1
You WISH the recession was over!!! I guess you're too busy criticizing the TRUTH on this forum you really don't listen to the news. OH NO well too above your ass kissing head!

And with that, I know now why so many people are afraid to express their feelings on this forum. It's too bad that we can't have our feelings without dimwits like you condemning us for not having this glorious life you do!! Now piss off!
I would have thought having spent 9 years in the UK and being married to a Brit, you would have learned that a bit of ribbing and sarcasm is the British way
Old May 9th 2010, 3:33 am
Account Closed

Flaykee1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
really? i get 5 weeks and i don't work for the gov't.

I thought you said you lived in a small town in Ontario?

Only criticizing the inaccuracies.

The recession is over.
Seriously! You really are an idiot! First off, do you realize that ONTARIO is a PROVINCE in Canada? And you try to come across like you know it all. That's one point towards your stupidity! NO inaccuracy on my part!

Secondly, lucky you for having 5 weeks a year annual leave. How long have you been there? Better yet, whose ass are you licking? Oh wait a sophisticated redneck...could be anyones! Sophisticated my arse!

And the only inaccuracies are that you haven't got a clue! And incidently, I guess being a redneck explains why you don't know the recession is yet to hit... you can't grasp the concept of news!

It's unfortnate that you can't post feelings on here without the harrassment. You know Lord Vader and all others who treat others this way, what makes you the authority on Canada? I think I have a little more knowledge than you lowlifes! Now piss off!
Old May 9th 2010, 3:38 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously! You really are an idiot! First off, do you realize that ONTARIO is a PROVINCE in Canada? And you try to come across like you know it all. That's one point towards your stupidity! NO inaccuracy on my part!

Secondly, lucky you for having 5 weeks a year annual leave. How long have you been there? Better yet, whose ass are you licking? Oh wait a sophisticated redneck...could be anyones! Sophisticated my arse!

And the only inaccuracies are that you haven't got a clue! And incidently, I guess being a redneck explains why you don't know the recession is yet to hit... you can't grasp the concept of news!

It's unfortnate that you can't post feelings on here without the harrassment. You know Lord Vader and all others who treat others this way, what makes you the authority on Canada? I think I have a little more knowledge than you lowlifes! Now piss off!
I think you should perhaps have a little nap now.
Old May 9th 2010, 4:30 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I think you should perhaps have a little nap now.
pmsl!
Old May 9th 2010, 11:43 am
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Can we still be facebook friends?
Old May 9th 2010, 12:44 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Well that's another newbie been chased away. Thanks peeps

Please don't start rounding on newbies because they have a differing opinion to your own. At least give them a little space to settle in. Some of you go in for the attack immediately, without even drawing breathe, which makes the person concerned go on the defence, and then it all goes downhill rapidly.

We've each got differing experiences: some good, some bad. Doesn't necessarily make them wrong when those experiences are not the same as yours. Remember we don't walk in another persons shoes.

Sue
Old May 9th 2010, 1:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
We are all the result of the choices we make and it appears you made some not too good/poor ones.
This sentence, for me, sums up all that's wrong with the Reagan/Thatcher/Bush/Harper ideology. It's the smug view of someone who has been lucky and who now pats himself on the back for being so clever as to plan all that luck.

In fact, who we are is as likely to be the consequence of events beyond our control as it is of choices we make. People do not choose their physical abilities or disabilities, they don't choose the abilities or disabilities of their relatives. People do not choose their nationality nor ethnicity, nor usually their religion, though these are major factors in shaping lives. People choose their level of education only within a narrow range, limited by perspective and funding. People do not choose to be in road accidents or industrial accidents, they do not choose to be the victim of crime.

In emigrating, people choose based on the best information available to them, thus one may arrive in Ontario thinking French useful or in Alberta expecting a gay-positive environment. They move thinking themselves informed but, in fact, one cannot be informed as to how one will feel when one gets there.

All in all, we plug along doing the best we can but without very much control over where our lives are going. For someone who won by betting on red to say that someone made a bad choice by betting on black is spectacularly unhelpful as well as being simply wrong.
Old May 9th 2010, 2:14 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
This sentence, for me, sums up all that's wrong with the Reagan/Thatcher/Bush/Harper ideology. It's the smug view of someone who has been lucky and who now pats himself on the back for being so clever as to plan all that luck.

In fact, who we are is as likely to be the consequence of events beyond our control as it is of choices we make. People do not choose their physical abilities or disabilities, they don't choose the abilities or disabilities of their relatives. People do not choose their nationality nor ethnicity, nor usually their religion, though these are major factors in shaping lives. People choose their level of education only within a narrow range, limited by perspective and funding. People do not choose to be in road accidents or industrial accidents, they do not choose to be the victim of crime.

In emigrating, people choose based on the best information available to them, thus one may arrive in Ontario thinking French useful or in Alberta expecting a gay-positive environment. They move thinking themselves informed but, in fact, one cannot be informed as to how one will feel when one gets there.

All in all, we plug along doing the best we can but without very much control over where our lives are going. For someone who won by betting on red to say that someone made a bad choice by betting on black is spectacularly unhelpful as well as being simply wrong.
Spot on. Thanks for expressing this so well.
Old May 9th 2010, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Spot on. Thanks for expressing this so well.
I second that. Reps!
Old May 9th 2010, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

anunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant future

Hm..now that eeryone´s got that off their chest, how about going back to the original topic of the thread?
My OH and I are still in UK and hoping to get final go ahead somewhere round about November.
To us it´s important to read the opinions of people who have been where we are, who´ve done it and have several T-Shirts.
We are in a good postion (I think) as we have no house to sell (currently living in Army accomodation) and no children´s education or settling in to consider as, even though we have 3 kids between us, none of tem will be coming with us. His boys (18&15) will stay with their Mum in UK, my daughter (21) lives in Germany, has her own flat and job there.
Also, my OH will be leaving the Army this month so his current job will come to a natural end. Which means we will be footloose and fancyfree. Hence the move to Ontario. Will we stay forever? How the hell do I know? Or anyone else for that matter? What I do know is that we don´t want to regret NOT doing it. It´s better to have risked and admit defeat than to not have tried to find your luck.
I am glad that a lot of you would say that they would absolutely do it again, it reassures me. Good luck to all of you´s who´ve taken the risk and are now trying to make the most of it, you have my utmost respect.
And now I will go and nurse that huge hangover that I have inflicted on myself. Enyoy your Sunday everyone. Where´s the Alka Seltzer.......?
Old May 10th 2010, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

Nibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to all

oh yeah and canadian feet smell, they wear synthetic socks and put their feet on the radiotor and sweat
Old May 10th 2010, 2:22 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
Well that's another newbie been chased away. Thanks peeps

Please don't start rounding on newbies because they have a differing opinion to your own. At least give them a little space to settle in. Some of you go in for the attack immediately, without even drawing breathe, which makes the person concerned go on the defence, and then it all goes downhill rapidly.

We've each got differing experiences: some good, some bad. Doesn't necessarily make them wrong when those experiences are not the same as yours. Remember we don't walk in another persons shoes.

Sue

Of course their responses were very congenial and grown up! This really is a great way to endear oneself to regular posters. There have been more than one newbies on here who have been quite rude and abusive. Some regulars may ridicule and joke around, but I don't see abusive language or abuse from them. It seems when someone cannot think of anything useful to say or are unable to articulate themselves in a credible manner they resort to abuse. It is OK for them to oppose the views of others, yet when others oppose their views they take exception and offer nothing but unhelpful abuse. Their ignorance does offer amusement for a while though, until they flounce and go off in a huff.
Old May 10th 2010, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

Would I do it all again?

Yes, but only if I could have someone else sort all the logistics out. I have no regrets at all about moving here, but I never, ever want to have to organize something like that again!

There is a very good reason why I wouldn't consider ever going back, and that is because it was so much hassle coming over her that I don't ever want to do it again!
Old May 10th 2010, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

readytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nice

we have only been here for 6 weeks now so not overly qualified to answer this question but we would definitely do it again. We are loving our new life, the OH had a job to come to already and I started a new one last week. Both of us have comparable salaries to the UK and both of us had our prior experiance recognised so we were very lucky in that.

I think the main thing we are loving right now is the lifstyle change, we have both gone from 1.30 hour commutes to 5 mins and the OH no longer has to work weekends. We're really looking forward to the summer so we can get out and do some camping and hiking and kayaking and really discover the beauty of country.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.