Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Would you do it all again?

Would you do it all again?

Old May 13th 2010, 2:57 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Would you do it all again?

Originally Posted by airbornesapper
Pinkkristen, I understand your perspective completely and like many I'm sure can relate to the aspects you mention above. For me, things can be summed up like this - Canada is not the British Isles (and all that entails) and Canadians are not Brits. Emigrating anywhere is a massive decision, some land on their feet other have a really tough go.

Even after 23 years here and having first arrived at the relatively young of 25, I still miss the uniquely British way of life and always will. For that matter my Canadian OH misses aspects of the UK.

Canada has been good to us as a family and has much to offer (our kids have thrived also). I/we have been able to get our fill of the UK during periodic visits (perhaps not as frequent as I would like when the whole 23 years is considered) but for many reasons, trips home will be be picking up again soon. My father had a heart attack today, I know that I have trips to make for good and sad reasons in the years ahead. With hindsight, I am unequivocal that right decision was made.

Canada is not for everyone and immigrants make the choice to stay or go. Many come who come here are not as lucky as folks from the UK who can return (if they have the means) to a country such as the UK which despite its woes is still a unique and lovely place.

Whatever you and your family do, I wish you the very best of luck.
well said and for some of us the UK is..... well shit, to put it lightly.
Old May 13th 2010, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canadian_critic
You haven't even started the honeymoon period. The lifestyle change you talk about you could have had by moving somewhere else in Britain. Quit your job in the city and get a paper round at the local corner shop. Hey presto commute problem solved.

It can take time to really know if you made the right decision. A few weeks is more a holiday. My advice to you is to really open your eyes to your experiences here. Try to assess whether this place is right for you, with as open a mind as possible. But don't try doing that now. You're probably at a stage where everything seems amazing compared with Britain.
Errrrrr...quit the city job and get a paper round at the local corner shop....to change city for countryside living in the UK is horrendously expensive......
Access to country and outdoor pursuits in NB very doable given the property prices here compared to anywhere in the UK.....
Yes the other poster may have only been here a month but don't regard their opinion as invalid. We have been in NB for three years now and loved it from day one. I wouldn't go back to the UK by choice thats for sure.

Life is what you make it. And no the grass is not greaner..just different.
Old May 13th 2010, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

FStone is just really niceFStone is just really niceFStone is just really niceFStone is just really niceFStone is just really niceFStone is just really niceFStone is just really niceFStone is just really nice

We haven't done the move yet - we are still waiting for PR. My brother-in-law (British) emigrated last year and lives in Whistler and he is absolutely loving it! Hubby has spent about a year in total in Canada, 6 months working and 6 months in the past 4 years visiting my family.

I am Canadian and have been in the UK for 2 years now - I am VERY much looking forward to going home. Now that the move is imminent (after talking about it for 4 years) he is having a bit of a panic! We are going to move near his brother so that will help - it's just the fact of leaving his friends and family (and also the pub!!!!) forever!

How did you guys cope with these feelings?
I certainly don't ever want to live in the UK ever again (I haven't had the greatest of experiences), although I still absolutely love it to visit! I am worried after however many years hubby will want to come back to the UK!

We are lucky in the fact that we knew we were going to leave from the start so never bought property and are selling everything except clothes and some photos! We don't have any children and are both under 30 so we will hopefully have an easy time settling in!

I will be back in a few months to give my two cents! Bear in mind I was a student living at home with my parents until I came to the UK so I don't really have the experience of what it used to be like, etc...as I never had to pay bills, or anything 'adult' for that matter, bar a mobile phone!

It will be interesting!
Old May 13th 2010, 8:14 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FStone
it's just the fact of leaving his friends and family (and also the pub!!!!) forever!

How did you guys cope with these feelings?
Personally I never saw it as a FOREVER thing when I left, it was just the start of an adventure. Makes it easier all around I think.

It seems to have potential to be a forever thing now, 12 or 13 years later, but I see no point deciding its "forever" right at the get go, because lets face it, it might not be....
Old May 13th 2010, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

FStone is just really niceFStone is just really niceFStone is just really niceFStone is just really niceFStone is just really niceFStone is just really niceFStone is just really niceFStone is just really nice

Originally Posted by iaink
Personally I never saw it as a FOREVER thing when I left, it was just the start of an adventure. Makes it easier all around I think.

It seems to have potential to be a forever thing now, 12 or 13 years later, but I see no point deciding its "forever" right at the get go, because lets face it, it might not be....
True, but I see it as a forever thing where he may not. This is where it gets complicated. However, if it made him so unhappy coming to Canada, then I would be willing to relocate back to the UK because I love him more than anything and am willing to sacrifice for him. At least then I will have enough experience in my career to be able to get a decent wage over here. Perhaps the reason I am so unhappy in the UK is because I am making less than half I should be! Ah we shall see in about a year how we are getting on!

EDIT: Perhaps I should say he does see it as a forever thing at the moment but once getting there might change his mind if he doesn't settle well! Maybe I should have a chat with him telling him it doesn't HAVE to be forever and that might settle his nerves a bit and he can be a bit more relaxed with the whole experience. Thanks for your input!

Last edited by FStone; May 13th 2010 at 8:32 pm. Reason: Add some info
Old May 14th 2010, 2:24 am

I agree with this. I've lived all over the world. Been here the longest but don't know if I'll be here forever. Forever is a very long time!
Old May 14th 2010, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

mardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond repute

In a heartbeat!
Old May 14th 2010, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by mardyarse
In a heartbeat!
Ah Nora Batty - i was born in the same town as her (Dukinfield) and she used to go to the same church - rubbing elbows with the stars
Old May 19th 2010, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

joepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond repute
Post Fail to prepare, prepare to fail

The answer to the question remains to be seen, as we won’t arrive until next year.

That said, I want to thank everyone for their comments, all of which I have taken on board. We have a saying in the Army that goes along the lines of, ‘time spent on reconnaissance is seldom wasted,’ and my time spent on BE is never wasted.

Having read this thread the message I will take away and ponder is that there is no single ‘recipe for success.’ One man’s meat is another man’s poison, as they say. However, what I have gleaned is that there are a number of recurrent factors which run through the comments and you can certainly increase your chances of success if you’ve followed the plan and you’re ‘armed for battle’ so to speak. I make no apologies for the generalising that follows, and my thoughts are just that and may differ from your own, so please don’t shoot me down in flames. But I believe that you’re more likely to make a success of you life in Canada if you and your situation are based around a set of guidelines. I should caveat what comes next with the realisation that these are my own desirables, specific to my own situation, and therefore they will not necessarily be achievable (or required) for everyone:

THE PRELIMS
1. Arranged employment in a recognised field.
If you were a farrier living in Cornwall, would you up sticks and move to the centre of Birmingham and hope to find the work flooding in? Why then do you expect to be able to do that when you move to Canada?
2. Financial security.
I guess it’s pretty self explanatory that equity is going to make life much easier, especially in the outset before you’ve become established. No doubt it will help if you’re the type of person that can live to their means too. I doubt that personal loans and credit cards will be thrown at you when you arrive in Canada (not at first anyway), so if you’re the typical UK ‘maxed out – minimum payment’ credit card consumer then I would have a long hard think.
3. Open mindedness.
You’re not in the UK anymore, even if everyone does speak English. If you want rolling countryside, real ale, village pubs, decent bacon etc, then stay where you are. You’re in a foreign country, embrace the culture (what there is of it), speak to the people (don’t wait for them to speak to you), go with the flow and don’t try and swim against it. You’ll only end up failing and annoying everyone in the process.
4. Discontentment with the UK.
If you love your life in the UK then you’re probably wasting you time moving – enough said.
5. Independence, i.e. not tied to family, friends, social circles etc.
a. Sunday lunch with Mum & Dad every weekend?
b. You’re the nieces and nephews favourite ‘Uncle Pete’ and you know all their birthdays?
c. It’s your turn to host the weekly dinner party for your extensive circle of friends?
d. You get homesick and ring your wife 8 times when you have to stay overnight in a hotel with your work?
If you see yourself in any of the above, then unpack your bags now. Watch an episode of 'Wanted Down Under,' you'll soon see what I mean.
6. Thorough research.
Believe it or not there’s more to a PC than Facebook. If you haven’t spent months on end researching and emailing about property, jobs, community, shopping, laws, medical, tax etc etc then you don’t know enough about what you’re getting yourself into. You final decisions should be a series of ‘down selects’, not merely a wet finger in the air. Following that a physical visit to where you intend to settle would be a must in my opinion. You never know where the enemy may be hiding?
7. Willpower/Motivation.
Definitely desirable, if not essential. If you’re the type of person that drives to the shop 300yds down the road, then the problems that you will undoubtedly encounter along the way will by far exceed your level of drive and ability to cope with them.
8. Realistic expectations.
a. Housing isn’t ‘cheap,’ it’s just less expensive than the UK.
b. Food isn’t as cheap as Tesco’s and you’re unlikely to get the same choice either.
c. Wages are likely to be lower in terms of like-for-like jobs.
d. Some people are friendly, some are not.
e. Some areas have low crime, some do not (see point 6 above).
I could go on but no doubt I’ve bored you all to death already. Like I said previously, this is only my interpretation of a prerequisite ‘tick list’ to success. It’s not exhaustive and it’s only my own opinion. You may do/have all these things and still decide you hate Canada and it’s not the place for you. That said, I still think it’s better to do your reconnaissance and to have a clear plan on how you’re going to succeed. However, nothing in life is guaranteed and as we say in the Army, ‘the best laid plans rarely survives first contact with the enemy,’ so make sure you have a contingency for withdrawal.

P.S. I normally never use military terminology, phrases or acronyms, but I thought you'd all be disappointed if I didn't come across as the stereotypical brain washed, opinionated, institutionalised squaddie, to that end, I scattered a few throughout the post. Here's one final one to be going on with:
Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
Old May 19th 2010, 4:46 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fail to prepare, prepare to fail

Originally Posted by joepublic
We have a saying in the Army that goes along the lines of, ‘time spent on reconnaissance is seldom wasted,’ and my time spent on BE is never wasted:
Wish I could say the same

However, your time certainly wasnt wasted, I think you nailed it.

Last edited by iaink; May 19th 2010 at 4:49 pm.
Old May 19th 2010, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute

Wish I could say the same

However, your time certainly wasnt wasted, I think you nailed it.
Agreed and Karma given
Old Aug 9th 2010, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

anunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant future

The answer to the question remains to be seen, as we won’t arrive until next year.

That said, I want to thank everyone for their comments, all of which I have taken on board. We have a saying in the Army that goes along the lines of, ‘time spent on reconnaissance is seldom wasted,’ and my time spent on BE is never wasted.

Having read this thread the message I will take away and ponder is that there is no single ‘recipe for success.’ One man’s meat is another man’s poison, as they say. However, what I have gleaned is that there are a number of recurrent factors which run through the comments and you can certainly increase your chances of success if you’ve followed the plan and you’re ‘armed for battle’ so to speak. I make no apologies for the generalising that follows, and my thoughts are just that and may differ from your own, so please don’t shoot me down in flames. But I believe that you’re more likely to make a success of you life in Canada if you and your situation are based around a set of guidelines. I should caveat what comes next with the realisation that these are my own desirables, specific to my own situation, and therefore they will not necessarily be achievable (or required) for everyone:

THE PRELIMS
If you were a farrier living in Cornwall, would you up sticks and move to the centre of Birmingham and hope to find the work flooding in? Why then do you expect to be able to do that when you move to Canada?
2. Financial security.
I guess it’s pretty self explanatory that equity is going to make life much easier, especially in the outset before you’ve become established. No doubt it will help if you’re the type of person that can live to their means too. I doubt that personal loans and credit cards will be thrown at you when you arrive in Canada (not at first anyway), so if you’re the typical UK ‘maxed out – minimum payment’ credit card consumer then I would have a long hard think.
3. Open mindedness.
You’re not in the UK anymore, even if everyone does speak English. If you want rolling countryside, real ale, village pubs, decent bacon etc, then stay where you are. You’re in a foreign country, embrace the culture (what there is of it), speak to the people (don’t wait for them to speak to you), go with the flow and don’t try and swim against it. You’ll only end up failing and annoying everyone in the process.
If you love your life in the UK then you’re probably wasting you time moving – enough said.
b. You’re the nieces and nephews favourite ‘Uncle Pete’ and you know all their birthdays?
c. It’s your turn to host the weekly dinner party for your extensive circle of friends?
d. You get homesick and ring your wife 8 times when you have to stay overnight in a hotel with your work?
If you see yourself in any of the above, then unpack your bags now. Watch an episode of 'Wanted Down Under,' you'll soon see what I mean.
6. Thorough research.
Believe it or not there’s more to a PC than Facebook. If you haven’t spent months on end researching and emailing about property, jobs, community, shopping, laws, medical, tax etc etc then you don’t know enough about what you’re getting yourself into. You final decisions should be a series of ‘down selects’, not merely a wet finger in the air. Following that a physical visit to where you intend to settle would be a must in my opinion. You never know where the enemy may be hiding?
7. Willpower/Motivation.
Definitely desirable, if not essential. If you’re the type of person that drives to the shop 300yds down the road, then the problems that you will undoubtedly encounter along the way will by far exceed your level of drive and ability to cope with them.
b. Food isn’t as cheap as Tesco’s and you’re unlikely to get the same choice either.
I could go on but no doubt I’ve bored you all to death already. Like I said previously, this is only my interpretation of a prerequisite ‘tick list’ to success. It’s not exhaustive and it’s only my own opinion. You may do/have all these things and still decide you hate Canada and it’s not the place for you. That said, I still think it’s better to do your reconnaissance and to have a clear plan on how you’re going to succeed. However, nothing in life is guaranteed and as we say in the Army, ‘the best laid plans rarely survives first contact with the enemy,’ so make sure you have a contingency for withdrawal.

P.S. I normally never use military terminology, phrases or acronyms, but I thought you'd all be disappointed if I didn't come across as the stereotypical brain washed, opinionated, institutionalised squaddie, to that end, I scattered a few throughout the post. Here's one final one to be going on with:

AMEN.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 1:46 pm
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

THE PRELIMS
2. Financial security.
3. Open mindedness.
6. Thorough research.
7. Willpower/Motivation.

One of the best things I've read for a long time ... karma to you! J
Old Aug 9th 2010, 3:24 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

In answer to the original question

For me it is yes and no..yes i would do it again because it made me focus my mind on my career and my ambitions..when i decided to try Canada and applied i was stuck in a rut career wise and couldnt see thr route to progression.

The result was in the 4 years it took me to get here my career took off and i achieved more than i thought possible. This is where we get to the no part..when i left the UK i was in a job i really liked with people who i really enjoyed workin with (something i always thought was for other people for me before work was just a tedious chore).

i managed to secure the same job in Canada with the same income and benefits i had back home..but heres the sticky part..i find Canadians not to be as knowledgable or professional as my collegues back in the UK..I miss the banter... again Canadians seem a little too serious.

Overall i dont dislike Canada or they way of life here and im glad that i came here..because if i hadnt i would have regretted it all my life and always wondered what if?...i just wish i could have come when i had a lot less to lose and when i was frustrated with my life and career path.

Still the whole Canada thing has made me much more ambitious and focused and was what i needed...now i have this different attitude maybe Canada has made me realise the UK is where i need to be eventually.

So with hindsight i sometimes wish i had gone through the process but didnt actually come to Canada if that makes sense?