Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Would you do it all again?

Would you do it all again?

Old May 7th 2010, 2:08 am
Just Joined

We made our bed is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Would you do it all again?

Hi to everyone on the Canada Discussion Forum, I have viewed the site many times, but until now, have not plucked up the courage to come on, so please be gentle.
We have been here in BC now since 2007, had a very bumpy ride, lots of up's and down's. Came with husband (his idea to come, not mine) and our 2 teenage son's (was 18 and 16 at the time) so very, difficult ages to deal with emigrating to new country. Oh and 2 dogs, and no jobs .... So yes about as bad a scenario as it get's.
Long story short, we found a home in rural BC on 1 acre with lovely views, got job's but nothing fancy and not well paying. Younger son had to start at secondary school here, even though he had just left school in the UK, but that was fine, it was a way for him to meet new people. He grad's next month then going on to college. Elder son ... well that's a topic for another day, involving Canadian Forces letting PR's join on equal footing to citizens than at the very last minute changing their mind!!
Would I do it all again - No. Am I glad we did it - Yes and No. Do I think we'll stay forever - I don't think so. Would you do it all again?
Old May 7th 2010, 2:19 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Would you do it all again?

Originally Posted by We made our bed
Hi to everyone on the Canada Discussion Forum, I have viewed the site many times, but until now, have not plucked up the courage to come on, so please be gentle.
We have been here in BC now since 2007, had a very bumpy ride, lots of up's and down's. Came with husband (his idea to come, not mine) and our 2 teenage son's (was 18 and 16 at the time) so very, difficult ages to deal with emigrating to new country. Oh and 2 dogs, and no jobs .... So yes about as bad a scenario as it get's.
Long story short, we found a home in rural BC on 1 acre with lovely views, got job's but nothing fancy and not well paying. Younger son had to start at secondary school here, even though he had just left school in the UK, but that was fine, it was a way for him to meet new people. He grad's next month then going on to college. Elder son ... well that's a topic for another day, involving Canadian Forces letting PR's join on equal footing to citizens than at the very last minute changing their mind!!
Would I do it all again - No. Am I glad we did it - Yes and No. Do I think we'll stay forever - I don't think so. Would you do it all again?
No
Old May 7th 2010, 2:28 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Yes.
Old May 7th 2010, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

Nibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to all

No
Old May 7th 2010, 2:36 am

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I would, but then we were fortunate in that our kids are still young which made it easier for them to settle and my husband already had a job to come to. We were also very lucky in that coming over via the Provincial Nominee Program, it only took 8 months from first applying to receiving permanent residency. Maybe I'd think differently had it taken three or four years like some people.
Old May 7th 2010, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Reasonably happy here now but it's taken a long time. Would I do it all again? Most certainly not! Might even move back one day. We'll see.
Old May 7th 2010, 2:51 am
BE Enthusiast

scottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the rough

I wouldnt do it again! We came via the PNP route too seems the easiest way with the job guarantee.

After spending 2.5 years here, glad we did it. Looking forward to another BC summer. If we had gone down the skilled route without a job. I think we would have gone back to the uk by now. I would nt recommend it for families or couples who are well established in the UK with a lot to lose. Lots of people have found it impossible to get a decent job when arriving here, even with a good level of education and experience.
Old May 7th 2010, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

ant11 is just really niceant11 is just really niceant11 is just really niceant11 is just really niceant11 is just really niceant11 is just really niceant11 is just really niceant11 is just really nice

we love it here so far. only been here 1 month. have job, house rented etc. would i do it again? nooooooo. if i knew how much hassle all the paperwork and moving would be i would not have even considered it.
Old May 7th 2010, 3:10 am
BE Enthusiast

minimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud of

Yes, I would definitely do it again! I came here via PNP which was relatively quick and painless. I came over to a job I love and which pays much better than my job in the UK, with much more job satisfaction. I can't see me ever going back to the UK - I haven't missed it all - except for decent clothes shopping! My OH had trouble finding work but is now at college training for a new career.
Old May 7th 2010, 3:15 am
Just Joined

We made our bed is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your honest answers - I know folks back home read this site, for ideas and answers to their questions, most on the brink of taking the plunge, so I would urge them to think carefully. It's all about your circumstances - past, present and future and your expectations I suppose.
I remember all the reasons we left the UK, but been here in Canada makes me remember all the things I love about the UK.
Are you really so unhappy that you want to leave everything and everyone you love in the UK? Or would just moving to another county help or perhaps changing your job?
If you really want to do it, then do it because regrets about "what if" is a terrible thing. Just think about it a wee while longer.
Old May 7th 2010, 3:19 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

This time last year I would have said YES! Now I'm saying no. No I don't think I would, I'm feeling beaten. I am here to stay though, I'm sure I will pick up and life will feel calmer. Will I spend 12 months of the year in Canada in (retirement) years to come? Not if I can help it.
Old May 7th 2010, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

ant11 is just really niceant11 is just really niceant11 is just really niceant11 is just really niceant11 is just really niceant11 is just really niceant11 is just really niceant11 is just really nice

anyone who is retired goes to arizona for 3 months! and i can tell why!
Old May 7th 2010, 3:48 am
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

YES! I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Unfortunately work has taken us south of the border so we're now living in Chicago, after 5 years living in Canada. We will be back, no doubt about it - Vancouver is "home" .... really miss it already.
Old May 7th 2010, 4:59 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

No question, would do it again. Gave up an excellent job with exceptional prospects to try something different, my colleagues thought I was nuts. Tried loads of things (in the same career path). Getting a job was no problem, I had the pick of several. Chose the lowest paying, but most fun. Ended up going back to the one that paid the bills better than the others and was less fun. Retired in BC, would not anticipate leaving.

If you come for adventure and a change, it can work great, those that come thinking they will be better off than where they are are more likley to be disappointed.

The Nicola Valley is my favorite part of the province, especially around Quilchena. It could be a tad isolated and limited job ops for those wanting a career, but great lifestyle if that is what suits.
Old May 7th 2010, 9:36 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
This time last year I would have said YES! Now I'm saying no. No I don't think I would, I'm feeling beaten. I am here to stay though, I'm sure I will pick up and life will feel calmer. Will I spend 12 months of the year in Canada in (retirement) years to come? Not if I can help it.
I so agree with this. I feel like the last year and a bit here have been a constant battle with one thing or another and even though I won't be leaving Canada, I could definately do with a month away!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.