Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Would you do it all again?

Would you do it all again?

Old May 7th 2010, 12:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you do it all again?

Originally Posted by We made our bed
Would I do it all again - No.
Am I glad we did it - Yes and No.
Do I think we'll stay forever - I don't think so.
Sounds about right really
Old May 7th 2010, 12:52 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, without a doubt.
Old May 7th 2010, 1:11 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Only if it involved the same woman.
Old May 7th 2010, 1:31 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

If the circumstances were the same (Single, job to come to) then yes, although I really only left the UK cos I had the oportunity, not because I didint like it there.

Would I come with a young family to uncertain circumstances? I like it here, things are OK for us, and I expect I will be here for the long haul...but I would have to think long and hard about other easier options too if I was looking for something different to where I was.
Old May 7th 2010, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light

I was lucky to find a job before leaving the UK, the kids (4 and 9) have settled nicely, we still have a house in the uk for sale, and although being on a TWP means we are financial leppers (no credit), absolutely yes, I would do it all again....and technically we are with a 2nd attempt at FSW in progress, damn I hate that paperwork!!!!
Old May 7th 2010, 2:21 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes i would. Life is a funny thing and life is more about everything coming together where ever that happens to be. If i was happy and doing well in the UK I would think long and hard before uprooting one's family.

I can retire in 9 years and don't know what the future holds. I do worry about aging parents back in blighty and feel deep down that I will do the dutiful son thing and head back, but who knows?
Old May 7th 2010, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

bombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of light

Yes - under the same circumstances, in a heart beat.

But was naive at the insecurity of TWP!

For those on TWPs, get PR as soon as possible!

B
Old May 7th 2010, 3:04 pm
Procrastinating

Hobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud of

Yes

Our only frustrations have come from the decision to keep our UK property, since we initially came on BUNAC it provided a back-up if we weren't able to stay. We had a nightmare over the following 3 years renting it out, losing a decent sum of cash, as well as losing out since the FX rate dropped too.

However, even after that I wouldn't change any of our decisions if I was to do it again.
Old May 7th 2010, 3:47 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ant11
anyone who is retired goes to arizona for 3 months! and i can tell why!
Not anyone...only those who can afford it.
Old May 7th 2010, 3:47 pm
:)

pthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond repute

Yes! We've been here for over 30 years, had some tough times but mostly good. Felt homesick after 7 years and went back to UK realised our mistake almost immediately and returned after 8 months! We then became quite permanently settled, raised our family here and our life is probably not a lot different than if we had never moved, but we love Canada. It's home now. We will think of moving when we retire but it won't be back to the UK, most likely elsewhere in Canada.

I really think that if you choose to move here once well established in the UK and with a family, having done that in reverse, you need to think long and hard why you would want to. If it's for the change and a different way of life living somewhere new then yes do it, but if your motives are for a better life it's not necessarily an advantage IMO.

We now have elderly parents and that presents it's own complications but you learn to deal with them from afar and visit when you can. Be prepared for the emergency trips back when needed.

I find that life is what you make it wherever you are and it's all down to your own attitude.
Old May 7th 2010, 4:40 pm
GO FLAMES GO!!!!

Steve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to behold

Would I do it all again? - Yes
Would I move to the same location? - I highly doubt it!
Will I stay forever? - No idea!

Hubby and I moved mainly as we felt "stuck" in the UK. We talked about moving within the UK, but it didn't seem to work for us. I remember saying from the first time I had a holiday at the age of 10 that I didn't want to live in the UK, so trying a different Country out had been on my mind for a long time!

What would I do differently if I did it all again? MORE RESEARCH. It seems no matter how much you do it will never be enough
Old May 7th 2010, 5:30 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure id this reply should go here or in one of the other threads, but I have just spent 30 mins talking to my 84 year old Grandad. We always have a good laugh on the phone, if I'm anything like him when I'm old then I'll be onto a good thing.

Amongst all the laughter was the comment 'I hope I get to see you again before I pop my clogs.'

We have never been close in the sense of regular visits/phone calls but the longer I am away the more I realise that there have been lots of missed opportunities. I think that realisation also comes with seeing how my Husband has tried to cope with losing his parents and the guilt he feels.

I just feel very regretful and confused right now.
Old May 7th 2010, 5:38 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe. I got the timing right financially, but I think I'd have been having more fun if I'd stayed in Bangkok.
Old May 7th 2010, 5:39 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Not sure id this reply should go here or in one of the other threads, but I have just spent 30 mins talking to my 84 year old Grandad. We always have a good laugh on the phone, if I'm anything like him when I'm old then I'll be onto a good thing.

Amongst all the laughter was the comment 'I hope I get to see you again before I pop my clogs.'

We have never been close in the sense of regular visits/phone calls but the longer I am away the more I realise that there have been lots of missed opportunities. I think that realisation also comes with seeing how my Husband has tried to cope with losing his parents and the guilt he feels.

I just feel very regretful and confused right now.
I don't think it gets easier. I've lived out of the UK since i was 21 and till about 3 years ago never give it much thought in terms of aging family. My grandmother died a couple of years back and a bunch of great uncles and aunts. Not to mention nieces and nephews who don't know me.

I know what you mean about feeling guilty but you do have to live your own life. As i noted earlier i I haven't discounted the possibility of moving back for family reasons in the future.
Old May 7th 2010, 5:50 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Maybe. I got the timing right financially, but I think I'd have been having more fun if I'd stayed in Bangkok.
What with all those museums, art galleries and the theatre I can see what you mean.
Although, snowboarding might be a bit of a challenge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.