Would you do it all again?

Would you do it all again?

Old May 8th 2010, 12:18 am

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Would you do it all again?

No
Old May 8th 2010, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

Yes......for sure.

Married to a Canadian, lived 1 year in the UK and 4 years in Germany before moving here in April 87.

Like many of course I miss aspects of UK life. Luckily/I we have visited often and as a family we were lucky enough to get posted back in 2002 for 4 years. After that I realized that Canada is well and truly home, and the UK a plane ride away.

From my perspective, the UK is not what it was, run down in many areas....and the out of control Yob culture very prevalent, something my family personally had a taste of.

By example, this short recollection offers what was my kids (daughter 18 and son 21 at the time) first UK cultural experience as young adults:

The third night after arriving in the UK (2006), they went to a local pub (something they had been looking forward to doing). They got talking to a local couple and opted to walk part way home with them at closing. On the way, some yobs passed and asked for a light.

My kids and the couple did not have one, the yobs moved on.

Walking on, they rounded a bend. A couple of the yobs came running out of a driveway wielding a household clothes iron and carving knives.

They smacked the other lad across the head with the iron dropping him to the ground. My son told the girls to run.

My son jumped on a car at the side of the road, before jumping off and making a break in the opposite direction.

He made it home first, quite distraught. Our daughter was nowhere to be seen.

Immediately, my father, son and I then drove off looking for my daughter. She arrived home while we were out looking. We had driven by the incident site, finding no sign of the fella that had been whacked on the head. We did see the damaged vehicle my son had jumped on to separate himself and distract the jobs.

When we returned home, my father called my brother-in-law, a UK Police Detective, he explained the situation as we believed we had to/should report what had transpired. His advice-Don't report it...

A couple years later, a couple walking home from the same pub passed a group of yobs, as they passed one of the yobs through a beer bottle at the male.

That's just one snapshot. Still love the UK, and all my family is still there. But as I said, overall the UK is not what it was. It is not the country I was fortunate to grow up in.

Canada, has worked out for us....and I am now even more appreciative after what really was a good chance to try UK living again.

My two pence.

Last edited by airbornesapper; May 8th 2010 at 1:18 am.
Old May 8th 2010, 2:22 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

No. Knowing what I know now, then, I would have gone to the US. That said,
I don't think location has been important to my life so far, pretty much the same things would have happened anywhere.
Old May 8th 2010, 3:32 pm
Account Closed

Flaykee1 is an unknown quantity at this point

No. I would think LONG AND HARD before coming to Canada. If Canada is still your goal, do not come to Ontario. The cost of living is bad and getting worse. Hydro, HST

I'm Canadian, lived in the UK for 9 years with my British hubby. He has no immediate family in the UK but my family is still here. In 2008, we moved to Canada. I blindly promised him a better life because of the way I remembered Canada when I was living here back in the late 90's.

We had a good savings account with the sale of our first home in the UK and with what I thought was a lower cost of living in Canada, we could semi retire.

His HGV licence didn't transfer, gave up a great job with the council and I gave up my job with NHS to come to Canada. He works all hours and weekends for minimum wage in a home supply chain store and I am nearing the end of a 1 year contract job. We're worse off in Canada than we were in the UK.

The local economy went down with the closure of the pulp mill and that will never re-open. So the retail employers have the workers by the.... well.... it's the *retail owners market* so to speak. Jobs are scarce so they can treat their staff any way they want.

Work ethics? Work hard. End of story. Unless you are in a gov't job for the most part, you will only get 2 weeks holiday per year.

Prescriptions, dental, eye care, unless group insurance is offered through your employer, you pay full price. In general, don't expect this benefit in a lot of business!

Why are we still working these jobs? Well, if we aren't bringing in this money, our savings gets wiped out JUST with day to day & annual costs. My Canadian pension isn't much and hubby doesn't have one. We're trying to build pensions but we don't have that luxury through employment. All we get through work is CPP and that isn't going to amount to much plus.....

With the cost of groceries, home & car insurance, property taxes ($2500 annually in a small northern ontario town, and we have to pay extra for water ($600 per year) and pay separate for garbage ($1 per bag whether council picks up or we take to the dump ourselves) ), Hydro One with their recent and neverending increases (we'll be paying over $300 per month), HST kicking in... well, we are in the process of selling our home and moving to another part of Canada, probably the east coast where we might have a better quality of life.

We still have hubby's family home in the UK but we don't want to fully leave Canada with my folks getting older. However we have no intentions of selling it now!

And tv.... we watch dvd's most of the time... British comedies!! Our cable bill is $60 per month and we get the same shows over and over again and they aren't even good.

Yes, I am feeling saddened that things didn't work out. Saddened that a country I thought was the best in the world has changed so dramatically.

I know there will be posters on this forum who will condemn and criticize me but you know what, I have experienced both CAN and the UK and Canada is NOT all it's cracked up to be.... I recognize and admit it and I was born and raised in Canada!!!!

Do your research when thinking about coming to Canada. And as a word of warning, the recession hasn't really hit us yet... it's still coming unfortunately!

Last edited by Flaykee1; May 8th 2010 at 3:37 pm.
Old May 8th 2010, 5:49 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flaykee1
Work ethics? Work hard. End of story. Unless you are in a gov't job for the most part, you will only get 2 weeks holiday per year.
really? i get 5 weeks and i don't work for the gov't.

Yes, I am feeling saddened that things didn't work out. Saddened that a country I thought was the best in the world has changed so dramatically.
I thought you said you lived in a small town in Ontario?

I know there will be posters on this forum who will condemn and criticize me but you know what, I have experienced both CAN and the UK and Canada is NOT all it's cracked up to be.... I recognize and admit it and I was born and raised in Canada!!!!
Only criticizing the inaccuracies.

Do your research when thinking about coming to Canada. And as a word of warning, the recession hasn't really hit us yet... it's still coming unfortunately!
The recession is over.
Old May 8th 2010, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

kate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of light

I will be bold and say it's cold
I will be brash and say it's trash
I will be good and say there's wood
For your sakes I'll mention lakes

the snow is deep
the dark is long
melting dog doo makes a pong.

the mossies bite
and idiots fight
the beer is crap
taxes make you snap.

And this is all I have to say
except I wish I had stayed away.
Old May 8th 2010, 7:41 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kate 17
We can only wish and hope.
Old May 8th 2010, 8:08 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
The recession is over.
Only cos the government has created 5% of GDP out of thin air.
Old May 8th 2010, 8:12 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kate 17
I will be bold and say it's cold
I will be brash and say it's trash
I will be good and say there's wood
For your sakes I'll mention lakes

the snow is deep
the dark is long
melting dog doo makes a pong.

the mossies bite
and idiots fight
the beer is crap
taxes make you snap.

there once was a troll named kate
who's posts were intended to bait

on any given day, she had nothing worthwhile to say

which did incite the other forumers to hate
Old May 8th 2010, 8:13 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

No. I would think LONG AND HARD before coming to Canada. If Canada is still your goal, do not come to Ontario. The cost of living is bad and getting worse. Hydro, HST

I'm Canadian, lived in the UK for 9 years with my British hubby. He has no immediate family in the UK but my family is still here. In 2008, we moved to Canada. I blindly promised him a better life because of the way I remembered Canada when I was living here back in the late 90's.

We had a good savings account with the sale of our first home in the UK and with what I thought was a lower cost of living in Canada, we could semi retire.

His HGV licence didn't transfer, gave up a great job with the council and I gave up my job with NHS to come to Canada. He works all hours and weekends for minimum wage in a home supply chain store and I am nearing the end of a 1 year contract job. We're worse off in Canada than we were in the UK.

The local economy went down with the closure of the pulp mill and that will never re-open. So the retail employers have the workers by the.... well.... it's the *retail owners market* so to speak. Jobs are scarce so they can treat their staff any way they want.

Prescriptions, dental, eye care, unless group insurance is offered through your employer, you pay full price. In general, don't expect this benefit in a lot of business!

Why are we still working these jobs? Well, if we aren't bringing in this money, our savings gets wiped out JUST with day to day & annual costs. My Canadian pension isn't much and hubby doesn't have one. We're trying to build pensions but we don't have that luxury through employment. All we get through work is CPP and that isn't going to amount to much plus.....

With the cost of groceries, home & car insurance, property taxes ($2500 annually in a small northern ontario town, and we have to pay extra for water ($600 per year) and pay separate for garbage ($1 per bag whether council picks up or we take to the dump ourselves) ), Hydro One with their recent and neverending increases (we'll be paying over $300 per month), HST kicking in... well, we are in the process of selling our home and moving to another part of Canada, probably the east coast where we might have a better quality of life.

We still have hubby's family home in the UK but we don't want to fully leave Canada with my folks getting older. However we have no intentions of selling it now!

And tv.... we watch dvd's most of the time... British comedies!! Our cable bill is $60 per month and we get the same shows over and over again and they aren't even good.

so in other words, you didn't do your research and regret giving up good jobs for crap ones
Old May 8th 2010, 9:04 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

You state you live in a small northern Ontario town. I have been to many (too many to count) in my life and most are one industry towns. Your's obviously was a pulp mill. Well, you know what, the closing down of the mill is exactly what happened to many small northern towns in the UK, except it was coal or steelworks, and the results are being felt even to this day.
If you left Canada in the late 90's as your post suggests what made you think that much had changed in 9 years away? Payment for healthcare, prescriptions and dental care is the same today as it was then. TV programmes haven't changed vs those produced in UK, so why whine about that. And, why are you paying $60 monthly for cable you don't use/watch. Have it taken out and use rabbit ears/internet to keep abreast of news.
You are obviously pissed off that everything you boasted about/promised your husband didn't materialize. As dboy noted "you didn't do your research".
I do not understand your gripe about pensions. You have one, presumably because of the years you worked here and your husband doesn't. Why should he? After 10 years here he'll qualify for OAS and will receive CPP at some time plus his UK pension. Many people, both here and in the UK, have to create their own pensions.
Canada hasn't changed that much, you have. Your 9 years in UK introduced you to a different (not necessarily better) way of life although it couldn't have been that good or you would not have trundled back here.
You're staying because of your aging parents, but moving to the east coast hardly seems to make more sense that returning to UK, if they are also located in Northern Ontario.
We are all the result of the choices we make and it appears you made some not too good/poor ones.
Old May 9th 2010, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

Nibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to all

Oh how i wish people could express opinions without other people feeling so threatened they have to be rude and obnoxious. So here I go to open myself up to the same as I would hate to spoil the fun of lightening there small lives by giving them a reason not to do so.

I totally agree with these posters, Canada is not what it used to be.
Protectionism is ruining it for many including the canadians, salary and conditions are abismal and worker rights unless you are in a union are none existant. Contract terms like "you can be dismissed at any time for any reason or no reason" come as standard with a whole 2wks pay and bullying is a huge issue in the workplace. Healthcare in reality is far less than free and wait list are very long with no private alternative because canada deemed it "a breach of human rights". Salaries are low, costs are high and climbing and standards of living for 78% of white english speaking immigrant is lower in all terms than before an emigration "quote from the Canadian newcomer research centre of Ontario".

The grass is not greener, the people maybe friendly on the street but the work place stinks, benefits stink, opportunities are biased and stink, costs stink and protectionism is first, second, third fourth and everything to them. Come here and forget your savings, your pension, your career, any job security and be prepared to struggle every day, stress every day and go home before you know it poorer and sadder and not better for the experience.

Am I bitter, yes but so are the other 67% who head home in the first year from the UK who move here and the 78% who head home in first 3 yrs and the 89% who head home within 5yrs. Has Canada question why? No, they take the money, laugh and take the taxi to the airport your uk medical consultant will be driving because he can't work here.

Ok boys waggle your little parts and tear me apart for daring to tell the truth you don't agree with or can't face
Old May 9th 2010, 2:49 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nibbles2005
Ok boys waggle your little parts and tear me apart for daring to tell the truth you don't agree with or can't face
<waggles little part dutifully>
Old May 9th 2010, 3:13 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nibbles2005
standards of living for 78% of white english speaking immigrant is lower in all terms than before an emigration "quote from the Canadian newcomer research centre of Ontario".

You've been here since February this year?
Old May 9th 2010, 3:13 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
<waggles little part dutifully>
Little only in imperial though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.