Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Who's Looking to move to NS?

Who's Looking to move to NS?

Old Apr 15th 2009, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Who's Looking to move to NS?

Originally Posted by AdrianR
Well, after 3 months here in Toronto, trying, vainly, for work (and eventual PR) on the LMO/TWP route, I have come to the conclusion that NS looks like a better deal for getting what I want for me and mine.

So, I have decided to move to Truro at the beginning of June, contact the RDA, begin the process of community integration and begin future-building. It's always encouraging to hear of folk who are facing their changes with a positive attitude and I hope to be able to meet some of you very soon.
I await the outcome with anticipation. There are many here of the opinion that you would be crazy to consider somewhere away from the major cities because of the lack of employment opportunities, but I have a feeling it will be a positive move for you...
Old Apr 15th 2009, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bodgerx
I await the outcome with anticipation. There are many here of the opinion that you would be crazy to consider somewhere away from the major cities because of the lack of employment opportunities, but I have a feeling it will be a positive move for you...
Yup, personally, I am slightly less than sh1t-scared at the prospect but still apprehensive.

It is true that a large urban centre such as Toronto would have a greater relative number of employment opportunities, but due to the nature of the PR route I have chosen (LMO/TWP at Skill Level O, A or B) I am restricted in what I can do... I cannot wander in to my local Timmies, for example, to get a job pouring coffee all day. Nor could I don an orange apron in Home Depot...whilst I wouldn't want to do either in the long term, at the moment I cannot even do them in the short-term as a means of making a few $$ and keeping busy.

My thinking is that at least in NS I could be spending time looking for work, and integrating into the community, with a view to making a CI-PNP application for PR. Once the Letter of Intent has been issued by the RDA, if I understand correctly, one can work on a TWP without the need for prior LMO (someone may be along to correct me on that soon).

And if it doesn't work out then I will have to go back to the missus, tail between legs, and try again next year...
Old Apr 16th 2009, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

halftheworldaway is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Flogger
We went through the CI route,and from start to finish took well under a year
Which RDA did you get nominated by ?

By the sounds of it the Greater Halifax Partnership is stricter than some of the other RDA's
Old Apr 16th 2009, 3:39 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilt
Which RDA did you get nominated by ?

By the sounds of it the Greater Halifax Partnership is stricter than some of the other RDA's
We went through COrda.
Personally, i don't think the CI stream is really set up for Halifax.My opinion is that it was brought in to try to encourage immigrants to help develop other areas of NS.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

Lady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant future

We are also looking to move to NS, and are going out for a recce in September. Hubby is a radiographer, so we are currently writing letters to all the hospitals for informal meetings. Hopefully some of them will get back to us!

We have arranged our recce so we are staying a couple of nights in each location we are interested in living in - although its not enough time to get a real feel for the place, its all we can do with holiday time. We are trying to touch base with RDAs before we go, but I think we are pretty set on the job offer skilled worker route... Hubbys position is in pretty high demand at the moment, so that job offer may come through faster than we expect.

Hubby still has major reservations about moving away from friends and family, although thats not such an issue for me (re-booted my life a couple of times now ), but the idea is so strong we simply have to follow it and see where we end up. It is better to regret the things you did, than the things you never tried... Besides, from the positive feedback we have had so far, I doubt we will regret it at all...

Anyway, good luck with your recce... keep in touch!
Old Apr 16th 2009, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

Upupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lady Locket
We are also looking to move to NS, and are going out for a recce in September. Hubby is a radiographer, so we are currently writing letters to all the hospitals for informal meetings. Hopefully some of them will get back to us!

We have arranged our recce so we are staying a couple of nights in each location we are interested in living in - although its not enough time to get a real feel for the place, its all we can do with holiday time. We are trying to touch base with RDAs before we go, but I think we are pretty set on the job offer skilled worker route... Hubbys position is in pretty high demand at the moment, so that job offer may come through faster than we expect.

Hubby still has major reservations about moving away from friends and family, although thats not such an issue for me (re-booted my life a couple of times now ), but the idea is so strong we simply have to follow it and see where we end up. It is better to regret the things you did, than the things you never tried... Besides, from the positive feedback we have had so far, I doubt we will regret it at all...

Anyway, good luck with your recce... keep in touch!

Looks like we'll be in NS around the same time, what time in September are you going? We'll be there from the 16th for a only a week (sadly)!!

What areas are you looking at?

Have to agree with you, definitely don't want to look back in years to come and wonder what if! What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger!!
Old Apr 16th 2009, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

Lady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant future

We may see you at the airport - but unfortunately on our way back! We fly home on the 16th! nevermind.

Due to our need to be near hospitals with diagnostic imaging, and our desire for a country lifestyle, we are looking at areas like Digby/Annapolis Royal; Wolfville/Kentville and Bridgewater. We are also looking at Halifax and vicinity, but hubby would prefer a small town hospital if possible. We love the look of the annapolis valley, and Kings County EDA have been very positive and helpful. So our route is start in Halifax, work our way up, then down and follow the south shore back to Halifax. Should give a chance to look at most of the rural towns in between as we go. We have booked little B&Bs for the route, and are trying to line up friendly faces to meet as we go along too.

Sooo excited....
Old Apr 16th 2009, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

rufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nice

HI what date are you flying out there?

We are planning on sept to but have not booked anything yet

Helen

Originally Posted by Lady Locket
We may see you at the airport - but unfortunately on our way back! We fly home on the 16th! nevermind.

Due to our need to be near hospitals with diagnostic imaging, and our desire for a country lifestyle, we are looking at areas like Digby/Annapolis Royal; Wolfville/Kentville and Bridgewater. We are also looking at Halifax and vicinity, but hubby would prefer a small town hospital if possible. We love the look of the annapolis valley, and Kings County EDA have been very positive and helpful. So our route is start in Halifax, work our way up, then down and follow the south shore back to Halifax. Should give a chance to look at most of the rural towns in between as we go. We have booked little B&Bs for the route, and are trying to line up friendly faces to meet as we go along too.

Sooo excited....
Old Apr 17th 2009, 4:40 am
Just Joined

weecoonty is an unknown quantity at this point

I think we are at the same stage as you. We go on our recce on 5th May. We are focusing on the bridgewater area in Lunenburg county. It is likely we will move on the TWP route as I am a nurse and have a job interview when over in May. We are from Scotland also and like you have got fed up with the the selfish attitudes and lack of respect people now seem to have for each other. What we've heard and the impression we've got from our research on Nova Scotia suggests that it has the same spirit of community lost here some time ago. Hopefully, this impression will be confirmed when we visit. We will let you know how we get on.

Alison & Ian
Old Apr 17th 2009, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

Upupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really nice

Originally Posted by weecoonty
I think we are at the same stage as you. We go on our recce on 5th May. We are focusing on the bridgewater area in Lunenburg county. It is likely we will move on the TWP route as I am a nurse and have a job interview when over in May. We are from Scotland also and like you have got fed up with the the selfish attitudes and lack of respect people now seem to have for each other. What we've heard and the impression we've got from our research on Nova Scotia suggests that it has the same spirit of community lost here some time ago. Hopefully, this impression will be confirmed when we visit. We will let you know how we get on.

Alison & Ian
Another like minded soul!! We should start a political party and get all the annoying people thrown out the country!!

We are also going to look at Luneneburg so will be interested in what you have to report back.

Hope you have a good trip and good luck with the interview!
Old Apr 17th 2009, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Diefenbaker is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I'm at the early stages of applying for TWP and have been offered a job as a nurse in Truro. I've been to NS twice now, once in October for part of my nurse training ( the colours on the tree's are beautiful) and I went for a week again to sit the RN exam in Feb this year. In February I met up with the people I first worked with on my placement and they are just so welcoming. If the people you meet whilst you're there are even half as nice, you'll have a great time.
Getting a job as a nurse was easier than I could have imagined. Thanks to the advice on the wiki I emailed the HR dept at the hospital to ask for an informal talk and perhaps a quick tour and in reply I was asked to email them my resume and that they would interview me for an entry level RN post which was a very informal interview. they understand the time it takes to get through the immigration process but seem happy to wait. I'm going through the TWP route as I do not have the minimum funds required to apply through the other routes, but will apply for PR once I'm there as I don't think minimum funds are required then.
Unfortunately my wife doesn't want to come with me even though she loved it there when she came with me 1 1/2 years ago as it's not the right time for her with her family connections but I can't wait any longer 'cos I'm getting on a bit. So I'll be using the skype thingy to keep in touch and hope to persuade her to join me at a later date.
I hope you enjoy your trip and find NS as beautiful as I did.
Old Apr 17th 2009, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Helen,

The flight is booked for the 7th. Apparently September is a popular time to go out there!

Good luck arranging your recce!
Old Apr 20th 2009, 2:40 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Upupandaway
I didn't quite realise that. I figured if you didn't qualify for the FSW then you you would need to go down the PNP Skilled Worker route which would involve getting a job offer. Is there differences between the FSW and PNP if you have a job offer, i.e. time to process visa, etc?
There's not much in it in terms of timescale except that the PNP process is a 2 stage process in that you send forms and supporting documents to the Province and wait for a decision and then send other forms and documents to the visa office. If it takes you a while to gether your forms and documents together the PNP process may be slower. With the PNP process your employer has to complete an application form BUT with FSW the employer has to apply for an Arranged Employment Opinion from HRSDC. The main difference is probably that with PNP you dont have to meet the Point Score as with FSW.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 11:30 am
Home Sweet Home

Biiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Who's Looking to move to NS?

Hi everyone,

My wife and I have a recce booked for September (only 1 week unfortunately) and are planning to visit as much of NS as possible (Halifax , Lunenburg, Wolfville, Truro...) to try and get a feel for where we would want to relocate to as this will be a defining factor in where we will target our job hunting, etc and, ultimately, which route we go down in terms of immigration (TWP, PNP Skilled Worker or CI).

We are only in the early stages of looking at the immigration process and relocating to NS but we have managed to make contact with a few people in NS, notably Mike and Orla at UK2NovaScotia and Corey Pickens (Lunenburg RDA). However, we are really looking to get in touch with people who are at a similar stage to ourselves, or have completed the move fairly recently, so as we can interogate them and compare war stories!! So if there's anyone out there who wants to share their experiences just let me know.

Thanks!!
Hi!

We are hoping to move to Truro in NS later this year. Currently going through the NS PNP CI Route

Nova Scotia is a lovely province
Old Apr 26th 2009, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Arty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

My wife and I have a recce booked for September (only 1 week unfortunately) and are planning to visit as much of NS as possible (Halifax , Lunenburg, Wolfville, Truro...) to try and get a feel for where we would want to relocate to as this will be a defining factor in where we will target our job hunting, etc and, ultimately, which route we go down in terms of immigration (TWP, PNP Skilled Worker or CI).

We are only in the early stages of looking at the immigration process and relocating to NS but we have managed to make contact with a few people in NS, notably Mike and Orla at UK2NovaScotia and Corey Pickens (Lunenburg RDA). However, we are really looking to get in touch with people who are at a similar stage to ourselves, or have completed the move fairly recently, so as we can interogate them and compare war stories!! So if there's anyone out there who wants to share their experiences just let me know.

Thanks!!
Hi Upupandaway,
we are a family of 4 me and the wife the kids Mhairi & Lewis ,our reccie is planned for 05/08/09 for 14 nights.
We are hoping to go down the CI route with Corda,like yourselves we are moving about to get a feel for the place.Fingers crossed we have a meet up with the folk now resident or soon to be nikki
Hope you have a great trip and keep us posted on how you get on.
Cheers
Arty & Co

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.