Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Who's Looking to move to NS?

Who's Looking to move to NS?

Old Apr 26th 2009, 12:44 pm
C'mon already

kazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who's Looking to move to NS?

Originally Posted by Arty
Hi Upupandaway,
we are a family of 4 me and the wife the kids Mhairi & Lewis ,our reccie is planned for 05/08/09 for 14 nights.
We are hoping to go down the CI route with Corda,like yourselves we are moving about to get a feel for the place.Fingers crossed we have a meet up with the folk now resident or soon to be nikki
Hope you have a great trip and keep us posted on how you get on.
Cheers
Arty & Co
Hiya, we are out on 1st August for a three week holiday, if you fancy a meet up then count us in.

Karen
Old Apr 26th 2009, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Arty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Karen,
sounds good ,def sort something out. Where about's are you heading.
Arty & Co
Old Apr 30th 2009, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

flipflops is just really niceflipflops is just really niceflipflops is just really niceflipflops is just really niceflipflops is just really niceflipflops is just really niceflipflops is just really niceflipflops is just really nice

Hi, have been reading all your posts. It's very exciting moving to a new country. I moved to Canada 20 years ago when I was 21. Lived there for about 15 years and then moved back to the UK for a year and a half, then China for a year and now Thailand. Loved living in the UK, but we did live in a lovely village. Anyhow, we have bought a farm in NS, and move there mid May. I know it will be difficult for all of us, especially the children, but I think NS will be a very good place to settle down. Buying a farm or any acreage in the UK is simply out of our reach. We plan to plant a vineyard and NS is going to be the next big wine region in Canada so I think this is a very good time to buy land out here and would recommend this to anyone. Good luck to everyone out there and go with your gut.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flipflops
Hi, have been reading all your posts. It's very exciting moving to a new country. I moved to Canada 20 years ago when I was 21. Lived there for about 15 years and then moved back to the UK for a year and a half, then China for a year and now Thailand. Loved living in the UK, but we did live in a lovely village. Anyhow, we have bought a farm in NS, and move there mid May. I know it will be difficult for all of us, especially the children, but I think NS will be a very good place to settle down. Buying a farm or any acreage in the UK is simply out of our reach. We plan to plant a vineyard and NS is going to be the next big wine region in Canada so I think this is a very good time to buy land out here and would recommend this to anyone. Good luck to everyone out there and go with your gut.
Good luck to you, we have a vineyard approx 3 miles up the road
Old Apr 30th 2009, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

Pebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nice

We squeezed a lot of miles (well ok, kilometers) into our 6 day reccie just before Easter. We stayed in Halifax and drove out everyday, didn't make it to the south shore at all though. Like you, Lady Locket, we loved the Annapolis valley, particularly around Digby.

We want to go back now any have a more in depth investigation and some meetings in the area we have chosen, but I think we will have to wait until we get the visa before we do that. I expect to send off our documents this weekend and if all goes well, hope to get the visas later this year and move out next summer.

We first thought of moving to Canada years ago and there always seemed to be some reason or another why the time wan't right. We originally looked at Calgary (when it was much smaller) and more recently at the interior of BC (which I still really like - but it seems so much more expensive than NS). We really wanted to be near the mountains as we love to ski, but loved NS even though the 'mountains' we saw were just hills. From Digby we thought we could still drive to quite a flot of little ski resorts in NS, New Brunswick and via the ferry to Maine and New Hampshire.

We loved the people, attitudes, property prices, seafood, sea and opportunities NS offered us. People told us April is the most unexciting month to visit, kind of in between the winter activities and before summer starts, but we loved it anyway, so are pretty hopeful for the rest of the year (though I am worried I will get eaten alive as bitey beasts seem to like me!)

Sounds like NS is getting very popular as a new life destination
Old May 4th 2009, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

Shaun123JP is an unknown quantity at this point

Upupandaway,
My wife, mother in law, kids and I are going to NS for 2 weeks (i.e. the last week in July first week in August). We are also looking at the emigration process.
I am a multi-skilled engineer with 21yrs experience (on extruders,slitters, printers, slitters and bag making machine) and have applied to PolyCello (flexible packaging firm in NS) about 2 weeks ago. I've had no reply yet so I will have to phone them to see if they received it and to see if there are any job openings. I don't think my qualifications easily transfer to Canadian qual's (HNC in Electrical and Electronic Engineering) but we'll see.
The hard bit for me is the Canadian way of applying for a job (i.e. contacting companies by phone - i.e.cold-calling almost).
We have also dealt with Mike and Orla (UK2NovaScotia) - we met Orla at an Emigrate show (she was lovely and informative).
I will feed back to you about our visit to NS prior to your September visit.
Shaun123JP
Old May 4th 2009, 1:24 pm
Banned

irishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to all

Hi

we have been here in Truro for 3 months now, and we are settling in great
Especially the kids!!

I have met some lovely people who have been so helpful to us and genuine!

The BEST place to stay here is http://www.royaltybandb.ca/

You cannot beat it!!

I have contact numbers for Realter, Lawyer, Mortgage adviser etc

I would only put these people forward if I have used their services and been more than happy, believe me, I get nothing out of this. I am just happy to help!

If there is any other info, anyone needs, If I don't know. I will find someone who does

Good luck!
Old May 4th 2009, 2:44 pm
C'mon already

kazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arty
Hi Karen,
sounds good ,def sort something out. Where about's are you heading.
Arty & Co
Hi Arty,

We already have a house out in Windsor Junction, so we are coming out for a 3 week holiday. We are hoping to have our visa's by then so that we can land at the same time, but have to come back to the UK to sort things out. Then me and the kiddywinks will move over this time next year and hubby will follow when he has finished up in his job.

Can't wait for our next trip, they always take a long time coming around.

Karen
Old May 4th 2009, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by irishsamx
If there is any other info, anyone needs, If I don't know. I will find someone who does
Well, I have decided to move to the Truro area on June 1st - so if you know of anyone who would like to rent me a room in their house for a few months, then pleas let me know.

Margot, at CoRDA, has been very encouraging and helpful so far and I've come to the conclusion that I need to be there 'on the ground' to make it happen.
Old May 4th 2009, 7:59 pm
Banned

irishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to all

Originally Posted by AdrianR
Well, I have decided to move to the Truro area on June 1st - so if you know of anyone who would like to rent me a room in their house for a few months, then pleas let me know.

Margot, at CoRDA, has been very encouraging and helpful so far and I've come to the conclusion that I need to be there 'on the ground' to make it happen.
HI Adrian

I will ask around for you, can you email me? do you have a price range?

see you in June
Old May 4th 2009, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by irishsamx
HI Adrian

I will ask around for you, can you email me? do you have a price range?

see you in June
PM sent - many thanks
Old May 6th 2009, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

Onefut will become famous soon enoughOnefut will become famous soon enough

Were just starting down the road of gettin out to Nova Scotia we are chttin to UK2NovaScotia an they have something in the pipeline thats right up my street and would be a great quick way to get out there

an as with a fw folk in this thread we looked at moving about 5 yrs ago and decided against it then decided we'd rather be comin back in 5yrs saying it was rubbish than in 5yrs still sayin "I wish we'd have tried"

were in the highlands of Scotland and the weather here is wet or wetter an thats on a good day

any help an advice would be great

ive got a thread going about selling up and moving out on spec
so if any of you have info on that route itd be great
Old May 6th 2009, 8:09 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Onefut
Were just starting down the road of gettin out to Nova Scotia we are chttin to UK2NovaScotia an they have something in the pipeline thats right up my street and would be a great quick way to get out there

an as with a fw folk in this thread we looked at moving about 5 yrs ago and decided against it then decided we'd rather be comin back in 5yrs saying it was rubbish than in 5yrs still sayin "I wish we'd have tried"

were in the highlands of Scotland and the weather here is wet or wetter an thats on a good day

any help an advice would be great

ive got a thread going about selling up and moving out on spec
so if any of you have info on that route itd be great
Hi, welcome

As you can see from here lots of us heading to NS

Try a search for "Chumley" she has recently obtained PR after heading to NS and doing it all from there whilst a visitor, she will give you lots of ideas re this approach.

Whereabouts in Scotland are you I have family in John o Groats and Wick area

Good luck with your plans
Old May 6th 2009, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

Onefut will become famous soon enoughOnefut will become famous soon enough

hi Nikki

thanx chumley has responded to my other post

im on the west cost near the Isle of Skye
Old May 6th 2009, 9:30 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Onefut
hi Nikki

thanx chumley has responded to my other post

im on the west cost near the Isle of Skye;)
nice spot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.