Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Who's Looking to move to NS?

Who's Looking to move to NS?

Old Oct 3rd 2009, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Who's Looking to move to NS?

Originally Posted by lousid
OK, OK I have to ask, why are so so many people moving to NS?
My 2c worth of an answer...

Because the Community Identified Stream of the PNP offers, very possibly, the fastest way in to PR. Those who have gone this route typically report less than 12 months from initial application to PR Visa issued.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 11:58 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NSboundTaffys
As the OP said NS is just not for everyone. We were all set for a positive future in NS........until we visited. To be honest I knew as we were landing that I couldn't live there, it is just soo flat, I really wasn't prepared for how flat it really was. We too were only able to spend a week there and spent the first 3 days trying to convince ourselves we could be happy there but just couldn't find enough to be positive about. We decided a big house with lots of acreage really wasn't the most important, we'd be much happier with a smaller house and just enough acreage for our animals in a different province that ticked more boxes, so are now exploring other areas of Canada. Personally I would advise anyone thinking to moving to such a big country to explore more than just one province as you just might find more of what you desire. For us too there was just no wow factor.

Sorry, but that made me laugh
Old Oct 4th 2009, 12:08 am
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flogger
Did you get all this off the telly?
According to this there doesnt appear to be much difference in salaries here to BC. My wife is earning more here in NS than she was in the UK for a comparable job.

Curries aside, we aint that backward here and not sure what more is accessible in a small village in BC, with only 35,000 residents.

http://www.bluetoad.com/publication/?i=15112&p=37

Last edited by Flogger; Oct 4th 2009 at 12:10 am.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 5:05 am
Forum Regular

Deva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of light

OK, OK I have to ask, why are so so many people moving to NS? We had considered it big time at one point however, doesn't the dream end when you start to look for work? The wages are not the same as other provinces. Yes the houses are cheaper but the cost of living is more expensive. Is it defined as success to have the acreage and large house but not have a suitable job with any career prospects in your field? Is it defined as success to have plenty of space for your kids to play and yet have limited amenities around you or be quite isolated from civilization? I totally understand the dream of living in NS. I just think that the reality is very different from the dream. I would be very interested in hearing from people who have been living in NS for years and have tried other provinces. For us, having 3 children means that my husbands job is the pull to stay in BC and there is so much opportunity for the children.
I welcome all opinions.
[QUOTE=lousid;7987021]
Originally Posted by NSboundTaffys
well said. We came to Canada with a huge dream. However when you start to pay the bills and the mortgage and you do your research, you begin to understand your priorities. It's not all about the house. We live in a 3000 square foot house at present on 1/4 acre but we have just sold and have bought a much smaller house in a better area with more of what we wanted. Sometimes, in certain provinces, there's a reason that the house prices are cheaper. If it seems too good to be true, it normally is. The reason that house prices are so expensive here is because a lot of people want to live here for everything that BC has to offer plus it is a beautiful province. There are downsides to every province but for us, the reality is sometimes you have to make your own dreams and what we have realized is that if we are happy as a couple our children will be happy. In NS, is there enough for us to be happy? Yes you can buy so much space for little money, but is that what it's all about? I don't think so.
A few questions:

Have you actually been to NS?

How is someone in NS more isolated from civilisation than someone in BC?

Is it the mountains in BC that make it more beautiful than NS?

What comparison are you making when you mention house prices? Vancouver vs Halifax? Mission vs Halifax? Overall provincial averages?
Old Oct 4th 2009, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

hobbitess is on a distinguished road

I'm looking foward to getting there and seeing it, I like flat as cycling up hills is for fit people.

Its personal choice I guess, each to there ownn not about ranking.

Cant wait. Any must do's anyone?
Old Oct 4th 2009, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

lousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=Deva;7987540]

A few questions:

Have you actually been to NS?

How is someone in NS more isolated from civilisation than someone in BC?

Is it the mountains in BC that make it more beautiful than NS?

What comparison are you making when you mention house prices? Vancouver vs Halifax? Mission vs Halifax? Overall provincial averages?
Yes we have friends in NS, Halifax actually. We have been to visit on many an occasion. We have done our research well. I will finish this tomorrow as it is very late and my kids get up early. Watch this space!!
Old Oct 4th 2009, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

lousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Flogger
Did you get all this off the telly?
You're funny! Not.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 8:41 am
Just Joined

Ellypop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hobbitess
I'm looking foward to getting there and seeing it, I like flat as cycling up hills is for fit people.

Must do's - Parrsboro and the beach are nice. Make sure you go to the Annapolis Valley incl Wolfville, Kentville. Probably a bit late in the season for whale watching but you could check (Digby area). Halifax is obviously a good place to go (incl Hydrostone Market), Pugwash and Pictou nice for a trip. If you get to Maitland area DO go river rafting on the Shubenacadie. If you end up in the Amherst area you can pop over into New Brunswick and Sackville and Moncton.

We have a holiday house we rent out near Oxford and there are some nice areas for walking, quad biking and fishing out there - plus Oxford is the blueberry capital!!!

We have often enjoyed just taking a drive and seeing what we find. Ross Farm Museum is lovely, esp if you have children. You may also find there are still some festivals and things on, worth checking.

If you get a chance to go trekking in Keji that would be an experience too. Sometimes in NS you have to seek things out a bit more. Here in the UK we are used to things being brown signed at every turn but it may take a bit more effort in NS.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 10:12 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Cape Breton, the Nova Scotia highlands is beautiful
Old Oct 4th 2009, 10:16 am
Just Joined

Ellypop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hobbitess

Worth going over to PEI too.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

Deva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of light

Yes we have friends in NS, Halifax actually. We have been to visit on many an occasion. We have done our research well. I will finish this tomorrow as it is very late and my kids get up early. Watch this space!!
OK. I look forward to it.

I emigrated to NS but decided to move on so I am reasonably aware of its charms and limitations. Other than your beautiful comment (Did you venture far from Halifax? Not everyone is turned on by mountains.) I think your observations and questions are more of a comparison between rural/semi-rural/town and city living than BC vs NS. I am sure many Vancouverites have the same 'concerns' about life in Mission or rural areas of BC. I mean, a 3000 sq ft house and 1/4 acre lot? Wouldn't someone in Vancouver see this as sacrificing amenities and job opportunities etc for a cheaper large house and 'acreage'?
Old Oct 4th 2009, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Dh could have gone anywhere in Canada as working from home but was asked to consider NS. Which we did and decided for us it met our requirements. We are managing well on one wage and yes some things are cheaper and others are more expensive but it does seem to work out. Took some getting used to burning wood for heat but when we lost power for several days due to the ice storm last winter the wood stoves kept the house warm as the generator wasn't powered into the house so the oil furnace couldn't be used.

To be honest there isn't much we miss from the UK
Old Oct 4th 2009, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

We went out on our recce to NS last month and found it was just as we had been hoping it would be. 'Flat' is obviously relative... we didn't think it was ridiculously flat! it just wasn't mountainous, but then we weren't expecting it to be. I thought it had the same kind of rolling landscape as central Scotland, which is where my partner and I are from so that suited us very well Jobs are a bit of a concern but I think they're a bit of a concern everywhere. However we're both hoping to start our own businesses, which seems much more feasible there than it does here in the UK, so perhaps it's not as much of an issue for us as it might be for others.
We're going out for another recce in Spring next year, and we'll be taking our application with us and dropping it in while we're there. And then the fingers crossed waiting starts!!
Old Oct 4th 2009, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cookie

it is lovely, we were there a couple of weeks ago.
Attached Thumbnails Who's Looking to move to NS?-dscn0360.jpg   Who's Looking to move to NS?-hpim2990.jpg   Who's Looking to move to NS?-dscn0397.jpg  
Old Oct 4th 2009, 3:25 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by val50
it is lovely, we were there a couple of weeks ago.
Far too much traffic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.