Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Who's Looking to move to NS?

Who's Looking to move to NS?

Old Apr 14th 2009, 6:44 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who's Looking to move to NS?

Originally Posted by Upupandaway
Thanks Nikki.

How did you find the CI route. The more I read about it the more I get confused. I go from one extreme to the other in that one minute I think it looks fairly straight forward then I'll read another post and it confuses the hell out of me.

Corey Pickens from Luneneburg RDA has asked we supply him with a resume, a letter of intent and proof of funds. I know this is standard for the CI stream but I don't really see how I can write a letter of intent if i've never even visited the province let alone the region.

Still, I will battle on and continue reading and by the time September swings around I might just have got it!!
Hi

The CI route was great, fairly straight forward and all done within 7 mths

The main thing is that each RDA is very different in the way they interpret everything and what you are required to do.

As an example, prior to our trip, we did not supply anything more than our resume, everything went forward following our recce, other examples are some RDA's will insist on letters of support, other's dont, some will request that you purchase property in the region, others don't, as I say its all open to interpretation and where you actually want to be based etc.

I have some more info if you would like it on things that we did etc, just drop me a pm

Good luck
Old Apr 14th 2009, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

What was it about Toronto that didn't tick the box for you and why do you think NS is a better deal?.
Well, in truth, I really like the part of Toronto I am living in (around Dundas & Jane) as it's very Victorian and reminds me of the part of north London I used to live in (in a different life before I moved to Mexico). However, the point of coming here, on a visitor visa, was to get a job at Skill Level 0, A or B, via the LMO/TWP route, thus allowing for a PR application in the Skilled Worker category. The job market, unfortunately, is a bit sucky. After 50+ applications, 4 interviews and lots of networking chats, nothing's happening.

Why NS? Well, we had considered it as a viable alternative. It's my job now to go see the lay of the land and report to the missus. From what I have seen and heard, it's a bit wild and wooly but nothing unbearable.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

Upupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really nice

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
Hi

The CI route was great, fairly straight forward and all done within 7 mths

The main thing is that each RDA is very different in the way they interpret everything and what you are required to do.

As an example, prior to our trip, we did not supply anything more than our resume, everything went forward following our recce, other examples are some RDA's will insist on letters of support, other's dont, some will request that you purchase property in the region, others don't, as I say its all open to interpretation and where you actually want to be based etc.

I have some more info if you would like it on things that we did etc, just drop me a pm

Good luck
Hi Nikki,

PM sent
Old Apr 14th 2009, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Upupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really nice

Originally Posted by AdrianR
Well, in truth, I really like the part of Toronto I am living in (around Dundas & Jane) as it's very Victorian and reminds me of the part of north London I used to live in (in a different life before I moved to Mexico). However, the point of coming here, on a visitor visa, was to get a job at Skill Level 0, A or B, via the LMO/TWP route, thus allowing for a PR application in the Skilled Worker category. The job market, unfortunately, is a bit sucky. After 50+ applications, 4 interviews and lots of networking chats, nothing's happening.

Why NS? Well, we had considered it as a viable alternative. It's my job now to go see the lay of the land and report to the missus. From what I have seen and heard, it's a bit wild and wooly but nothing unbearable.
LOL @ "wild and wooly", The funny thing is is that's kind of what makes it all the more appealing!
Old Apr 14th 2009, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Smudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really nice

Hi Upupandaway,

Reading your thread is almost as though I could have written it myself. Your situation sounds identical to ours.

We thought of moving to Canada over 10 years ago and never went through with and are now regretting it. Anyway we have decided that if we don't try our hardest we are always going to be saying "I wish we had done it".

We were originally looking at Vancouver but having read so many positive things on BE about NS, the friendliness of the people, the pace of life, the kind of house you could only dream of owning in the uk etc etc we decided to try for NS.

After carrying out some research on the internet I became fully aware that I couldn't move somewhere, or at least (hopefully) move somewhere that I had never visited so the only thing was to book a recce, so a couple of weeks ago I booked the flights and we're going out in May.

I still wonder whether we have done the right thing booking so soon but as long as I keep telling myself that it is because I want to see NS for myself and know what it is like that I know it won't be a waste of time or money.

For us to be able to move to NS my husband will have to secure a job and like you I (still) can't get my around the fact that someone will be willing to employ you when you are not even living there (at the time of course). It is evident it can be done because so many people on here have done it and until we go out there in May and see it for ourselves I probably won't still believe it.

We have arranged meetings with realtors, Mike and Orla and others and are hoping to meet up with some fellow BE's whilst we are there, but we want to concentrate on trying to secure meetings with companies about jobs, which unfortunately to date we haven't managed to do.

There is a lot to do before we go, even for a recce, so I dread to think what it would/will be like if/when we move. It's taking over my life just researching and trying to get in touch with people to arrange meetings. You would think it would be easier to phone people with the time difference, but my hubby works evenings so it doesn't really work for us.

At the end of the day it is an adventure and one that could change our lives forever, so that's got to be exciting and nerve racking all rolled into one.

When we come back from our recce I can obviously let you know how we get on.

Take care
Old Apr 14th 2009, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Smudger75
Hi Upupandaway,

Reading your thread is almost as though I could have written it myself. Your situation sounds identical to ours.

We thought of moving to Canada over 10 years ago and never went through with and are now regretting it. Anyway we have decided that if we don't try our hardest we are always going to be saying "I wish we had done it".

We were originally looking at Vancouver but having read so many positive things on BE about NS, the friendliness of the people, the pace of life, the kind of house you could only dream of owning in the uk etc etc we decided to try for NS.

After carrying out some research on the internet I became fully aware that I couldn't move somewhere, or at least (hopefully) move somewhere that I had never visited so the only thing was to book a recce, so a couple of weeks ago I booked the flights and we're going out in May.

I still wonder whether we have done the right thing booking so soon but as long as I keep telling myself that it is because I want to see NS for myself and know what it is like that I know it won't be a waste of time or money.

For us to be able to move to NS my husband will have to secure a job and like you I (still) can't get my around the fact that someone will be willing to employ you when you are not even living there (at the time of course). It is evident it can be done because so many people on here have done it and until we go out there in May and see it for ourselves I probably won't still believe it.

We have arranged meetings with realtors, Mike and Orla and others and are hoping to meet up with some fellow BE's whilst we are there, but we want to concentrate on trying to secure meetings with companies about jobs, which unfortunately to date we haven't managed to do.

There is a lot to do before we go, even for a recce, so I dread to think what it would/will be like if/when we move. It's taking over my life just researching and trying to get in touch with people to arrange meetings. You would think it would be easier to phone people with the time difference, but my hubby works evenings so it doesn't really work for us.

At the end of the day it is an adventure and one that could change our lives forever, so that's got to be exciting and nerve racking all rolled into one.

Take care
Hey Smudger. Its good to know that there's other people out there in the same boat and with the same thoughts. I read so many threads on here and no one seemed to have brought up the whole employment thing so I thought I was just missing something!

Again, in the same way as yourselves, I've been thinking about the move for some 4 or 5 years but it has only been in the last 2 months I've convinced my OH it is a good idea. She doesn't really like the idea of moving so far from her family so that's partly why we're looking at NS as its only a 5-6 hour flight. I definitely wouldn't want to look back in 10-15 years time and wonder "what if". I would much rather go and give it a go and have to come home as at least that way we've tried.

I don't think there's anything wrong with you booking a recce so quickly as to be honest, I would've done the same, however, we've got a holiday booked for the end of April so needed to save a bit more cash for a recce, although my wife still wanted to go in June!

I hope you have a successful trip and it would be great if you could let me know how you get on.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 9:58 pm
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smudger75

Take care
Hi Smudger75 we (Wife, myself and 2 girls 9 and 6) are also off to NS in May on our recce trip....lets hope the weather is ok for us and the lobsters plentiful

We are planning to stay both in Truro area for first few days and have then rented a house near Antigonish for a week (to do a bit of sailing) before moving back to the Truro area. I have managed to sort a few appointments out with potential future employers.......but in my emails I quickly pointed out that I wasn't currently looking for a job (this probably made them more relaxed about seeing me)........we have visits to schools and realtors arranged also and will be taking quite a few copies of our resumes.

If you want any other info please pm or even fancy a pint together whilst over there.. ....we have been researching NS for about 20 months now and hope to go the CI Stream like NikkiDreaming.

Good luck
Old Apr 14th 2009, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

rufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nice

Hi

We are looking to move to Nova Scotia this time next year. In the final stages of the Skilled worker visa route (as you can see from our timeline). Plan to come over in September for 2 weeks and will try to arrange an expats meet up x

Helen
Old Apr 15th 2009, 11:56 am
Just Joined

Carl79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I have not been on the site for a while.

I have a recce trip booked to NS in TWO weeks!! We have researched quite a bit but seem to be going round in circles regarding the information. We are hoping to move over next year.

We have a 18 month old baby and want a better life. I work in IT and my partner works in Nursery care. I have read that both of these occupations are in demand in NS. Is this the case?

You say you got job offers whilst over in the UK. Any particular websites that you recommend?

Finally any tips for our trip. We will be staying in Dartmouth but will travel around to get a good feel for the place

Thanks

Carl
Old Apr 15th 2009, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

Carl79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Carl79
Hi I have not been on the site for a while.

I have a recce trip booked to NS in TWO weeks!! We have researched quite a bit but seem to be going round in circles regarding the information. We are hoping to move over next year.

We have a 18 month old baby and want a better life. I work in IT and my partner works in Nursery care. I have read that both of these occupations are in demand in NS. Is this the case?

You say you got job offers whilst over in the UK. Any particular websites that you recommend?

Finally any tips for our trip. We will be staying in Dartmouth but will travel around to get a good feel for the place

Thanks

Carl

The question regarding the job offers is aimed at rickuk

thanks
Old Apr 15th 2009, 3:32 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Smudger. Its good to know that there's other people out there in the same boat and with the same thoughts. I read so many threads on here and no one seemed to have brought up the whole employment thing so I thought I was just missing something!

Again, in the same way as yourselves, I've been thinking about the move for some 4 or 5 years but it has only been in the last 2 months I've convinced my OH it is a good idea. She doesn't really like the idea of moving so far from her family so that's partly why we're looking at NS as its only a 5-6 hour flight. I definitely wouldn't want to look back in 10-15 years time and wonder "what if". I would much rather go and give it a go and have to come home as at least that way we've tried.

I don't think there's anything wrong with you booking a recce so quickly as to be honest, I would've done the same, however, we've got a holiday booked for the end of April so needed to save a bit more cash for a recce, although my wife still wanted to go in June!

I hope you have a successful trip and it would be great if you could let me know how you get on.
Out of curiosity what job/s are you going to be looking for in NS?

To answer your original question about immigration routes, here is what I would recommend:

1) If you manage to get a job offer AND you meet the Skilled Worker points score apply via the Federal Skilled Worker route. Its generally the quickest at the moment.

2) If you manage to get a job offer but you DON'T meet the Skilled Worker points score then apply via the NS Provincial Nominee Program - Skilled Worker Stream

3) If you can't secure a job offer before you apply but are willing to go some way towards developing close ties to a particular community in NS then apply via the NS PNP - Community identified Stream. This will probably take the longest given there is a lot more work to do up front re: gathering letters of support etc.

Many people come to NS on a temporary Work Permit. Thats fine but I would always recommend using that as a "stop gap", i.e. if you have already made a Permanent application but your employer needs you to start work sooner. I say that becuase there seems to be more and more stories these days of people who are in Canada on a work permit who get made redundant without having secured permanent status and therefore end up having to go back.

Hope that helps.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Paul.

When I fist started looking at Canada some 4-5 years ago I did qualify for the FSW visa but at that time I really hadn't fully made up my mind. Unfortunately, since then, the job categories have changed and I don't meet the points value now so its really the PNP route i'm looking at now.

The CI route looks a little better for me as I don't really have any time constraints (i've given myself 2-3 years to make the move) so putting in the effort to create community ties won't really be a problem. Albeit, if I was to get a job offer then I would obviously aim for the skilled worker stream.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 4:11 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Paul.

When I fist started looking at Canada some 4-5 years ago I did qualify for the FSW visa but at that time I really hadn't fully made up my mind. Unfortunately, since then, the job categories have changed and I don't meet the points value now so its really the PNP route i'm looking at now.

The CI route looks a little better for me as I don't really have any time constraints (i've given myself 2-3 years to make the move) so putting in the effort to create community ties won't really be a problem. Albeit, if I was to get a job offer then I would obviously aim for the skilled worker stream.
We went through the CI route,and from start to finish took well under a year
Old Apr 15th 2009, 4:56 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Paul.

I'm sure you realise this but just to clarify: if you had a job offer in NS you dont have to have an occupation on that list of 38 occupations to qualify, thats just for people without arranged employment. But it does still have to be a "skilled" occupation (skill level 0, A or B according to NOC).
Old Apr 15th 2009, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

I didn't quite realise that. I figured if you didn't qualify for the FSW then you you would need to go down the PNP Skilled Worker route which would involve getting a job offer. Is there differences between the FSW and PNP if you have a job offer, i.e. time to process visa, etc?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.