Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

When are doubts more than that?!

When are doubts more than that?!

Old Sep 30th 2013, 10:02 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When are doubts more than that?!

Originally Posted by not2old
you are whinging & you know you cannot change the system because the system is bigger than you. You know what you have to do - so do it, otherwise live with it & stop whinging about all that is wrong that your husband cannot change it working as a GP in the UK ... or can he?

Stop the whinging & get on with it - make the life change ...'an adventure' I think you called it up thread
I was taking umbrage with you suggesting my husband is whinging. He would agree that moaning is useless, which is why he heads up the Local Medical Committee and has been approached to do it at a national level, although he only mentioned that to me on Saturday.

Me whinging, meh. I'm allowed. I appreciate you're trying to decipher my reasoning though
Old Sep 30th 2013, 10:05 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

normal reaction prior to emigrating

do let us all know after you get here & you've settled it

Good luck with your new adventure

Originally Posted by Tirytory
It won't be a low paid crappy job . Husband is a GP. Off to Bracebridge approx 15, 000, although we're used to a city and it's amenities. My husband wants to move for a perceived better work life balance, better pay etc. It's true that he has to work very hard in the uk to maintain a very modest lifestyle, and the children complain that he works so hard. Trouble is when he's off working doing his extra stuff, I have friends to rely on. Once we get there, he is going to have do a lot of extra work, two exams to revise and pass, supervision to write up etc. It's not going to be plain sailing once we get there.

I feel really I could stay so easily, but he really wants to go and it would be unfair to stamp on his dreams. No sleeplessness, bad dreams about being late though! Maybe for Canada-perhaps it's a sign.
House is sort of sold, not exchanged yet but nearly done it. Will arrive in January, and will definitely get someone else to do the packing!!! Mostly everyone know, and notices going in this week.

I wasn't really asking if we should go, I know that we should go, more that, is it ok to feel like this or if I ignore these misgivings will it end badly. I will throw myself into it so that it has all my effort to help it succeed.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 10:08 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

normal reaction prior to emigrating

do let us all know after you get here & you've settled it

Good luck with your new adventure
Sarcasm?! Nevertheless I will do!!
Old Sep 30th 2013, 10:16 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Originally Posted by Oink
That's bollox. If there ever was a place to have a good whinge its here.

To the OP, whinge all you like Love but try and keep it a bit interesting, incorporate some stories about dwarves shagging ponies or something. They seem to love that sort of thing on here.
Thanks!! No dwarf stories and I might have to flounce off if anyone mentions the welsh and sheep
Old Sep 30th 2013, 10:17 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!! No dwarf stories and I might have to flounce off if anyone mentions the welsh and sheep
How about tales of wolfbagging in either Wales or Bracebridge then? The forum awaits an update on this issue.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 10:33 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in NZ & when it comes to sheep there is no comparison since NZ has 4 million people 40 million sheep with wales 3 million people 11 million sheep

As folks on here that live in Ontario will tell you Bracebridge has only 2.5 seasons. Its all about scale. Bracebridge & Wales no comparison in weather, people or open spaces
Old Sep 30th 2013, 10:34 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Sarcasm?! Nevertheless I will do!!
on post 62 .... I was being serious....
Old Sep 30th 2013, 10:42 pm
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute

Where are you moving to? Rugby is very much alive in parts of Canada
Old Sep 30th 2013, 10:50 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

As folks on here that live in Ontario will tell you Bracebridge has only 2.5 seasons. Its all about scale. Bracebridge & Wales no comparison in weather, people or open spaces
What is Bracebridge like? I hadn't heard of it before this thread?
Old Sep 30th 2013, 10:56 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Song reference was sort of a joke..

We're fed up of the government changes, which have particularly impacted on both of our jobs and careers. The NHS is a wonderful thing but it is failing, and while my job exists in a sort of a bubble due to the type of department it is, it is a really hard place to work. My husband in particular comes home demoralised from work ever day, and has to work a lot of OOH. He's miserable there at the moment and his pay is decreasing almost monthly, so money is sort of an incentive.

Work life balance. He will able to work less and still maintain a decent income.

Weather. God it rains a lot where we live. We like to cycle, winter sports etc, and ideally would like to have some proper seasons.

You only live once. The adventure.ki

Hopefully the children will have a better future in Canada than they will on our small island.
You'll find that doctors say the same about Canadian healthcare. They have nowhere near the same amount of patients though.

Come to the Kawarthas, or Northmberland. We can sink a gin together.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 11:02 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
What is Bracebridge like? I hadn't heard of it before this thread?

Old Sep 30th 2013, 11:07 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Siouxie. Looks like Anytown Canada !
Old Oct 1st 2013, 12:18 am
BE Enthusiast

nativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to behold

If you don't do it you will never know. Don't expect it to be easy because it very often isn't. It has been the hardest thing that I have ever done, although husband and daughter feel differently. I now feel more settled but it has taken a good 2 years. Could you perhaps both put in for a career break so your jobs at home will be kept available? This means you are not severing all ties. I worked for the NHS and had a 5 year career break.
Give it a go, you can always go back if it doesn't work.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 1:01 am
BE Enthusiast

caleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on the job!!
Thanks
Old Oct 1st 2013, 1:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

My tuppence....

Part 1 - My very good friend here (see, I did make one ) is a UK trained GP. She has had to jump through a phenomenal amount of hoops in order to fully embrace her job. (You have to remember you are "foreign trained" and therefore the same as anyone coming in from any other country in the world - where, it must be said, standards vary hugely). She has moved through four different practices to find a good fit and finally, is very happy in her current post. There have been some insurmountable personality issues with lazy leadership, and money-grabbing-see-as-many-patients-as possible-while-offering-bugger-all-in-the-way of patient-care colleagues....

She works 3 and a half days a week, and earns a fortune. It took about 4 years to be fully "let loose". She bemoans some things, loves others, now teaches and trains the young 'uns coming out on practicums, and is authorized by the University of Calgary to lecture. She has been here 7 years and has a good life.

Work for yourself is likely to be a long drawn out and frustrating process.

Part 2 - my husband had grave reservations about coming here in the first place, and some years down the line admitted he wished he had said "no". We are lucky to have a very strong relationship, and somehow, 6 years later, we are still here, quite happy, and have a good life. We've had our moments though!

From the outline details, and reading between your lines, you need to have that one more "proper and honest" conversation with your husband. Spell out your reservations.

I think you will give it a leap of faith, and I suspect you will muddle by just fine. But if I was you, I think I'd stay put.

Glad to have been so much help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.