Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

When are doubts more than that?!

When are doubts more than that?!

Old Sep 30th 2013, 9:22 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When are doubts more than that?!

Originally Posted by Tirytory
It's not about the money, money, money, we don't need your money, money, money, not a huge Jessie J fan, can't remember the rest...
then what is it - why do you want to emigrate, just give us two or three points over the why we should not emigrate
Old Sep 30th 2013, 9:23 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Caleo!! Good post, wish we were moving to London now!

Oink, we did visit last January, it was lovely. It was a year ago, sometimes it's difficult to keep motivation high.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 9:30 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
then what is it - why do you want to emigrate, just give us two or three points over the why we should not emigrate
Song reference was sort of a joke..

We're fed up of the government changes, which have particularly impacted on both of our jobs and careers. The NHS is a wonderful thing but it is failing, and while my job exists in a sort of a bubble due to the type of department it is, it is a really hard place to work. My husband in particular comes home demoralised from work ever day, and has to work a lot of OOH. He's miserable there at the moment and his pay is decreasing almost monthly, so money is sort of an incentive.

Work life balance. He will able to work less and still maintain a decent income.

Weather. God it rains a lot where we live. We like to cycle, winter sports etc, and ideally would like to have some proper seasons.

You only live once. The adventure.

Hopefully the children will have a better future in Canada than they will on our small island.

Last edited by Tirytory; Sep 30th 2013 at 9:33 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 9:32 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Also, we want more space, I want the children to grow up in wide open spaces, not the congested area we live in where all I can see are houses, and he can't ride his bike anywhere.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 9:38 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Originally Posted by caleo
I felt very positive coming here - my husband is canadian and we had no family in the UK. As the time got nearer, i because more wary - i was scared that I was doing the wrong thing. My daughter was 15 and mixing with some people I would have preferred she didnt. She was doing her GCSEs and not really doing much work for them - coming to canada gave her a boost fo her education as she had another 2 years to rebuild her future. This was what drove me forward when the doubts crept in.

It has been a tough year - if I had family in the UK, I may hate been tempted sometimes to go back - but I wasnt happy in the UK when I left, so it would have been for people rather than the country.

My girls were 5, 6 and 15 when we left. They all slotted into the canadian lifestyle very quickly. They were worried about leaving friends etc, but within a few weeks the little ones were getting on with new friends, and a few months layer, so was the 15 year old.

Work was a problem - we have spoken before about this as I am a nurse like you. I didnt work all winter and i felt so frustrated and isolated. No one to speak to - apart from a suoerficial hello in the playground. Even when i started work, it was in homecare, so i was still isolated, but at least busy.

The frustrations of the CNO has been the worst stick beating me down - i am hoping I am on the final stratch with that. I have just been offered a fantastic job in my field of nursing, and that has perked me up no end. I missed my job - and i have often said over the past year that if my UK job and my work colleagues were here, I would be 100% happy.

It is not an easy move, no matter how positive you are about it - i would imagine most people have the same fears. It will be tough for you with your husband trying to get his studying done - i have found making friends here quite difficult - and the 2 that I do see often are not from here . Your husband will be making friends and meeting people through work, so hopefully that will help you to meet people. With your experience, (and contacts) you may be able to get a job in a health centre as recetionist or something along those lines - while waiting for CNO. I would still advise that if you are serious about the move, get in contact with CNO as soon as possible - dont wait ill you get here!
Congratulations on the job!!

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Also, we want more space, I want the children to grow up in wide open spaces, not the congested area we live in where all I can see are houses, and he can't ride his bike anywhere.
Couldn't you just move to the country rather than a country? And in Canada you're sort of not allowed to go into the wide open spaces.
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

let me bring it back to the key points of your OP

Even though it was me and a conversation about the weather that started it off, my husband long took over on his desire to escape the NHS and his decreasing salary and heavily increasing workload, and has pushed the process on with the occasional episode from me halting the process.

If we stay in the UK, I can see our future mapped out and it's a good one, Canada is a complete uncertainty.

I feel reluctant to say no to an opportunity, albeit a very expensive self manufactured opportunity. (
other than you putting up the road blocks, nothing in life is for certain, things can & do change very quickly & do not take things for granted.

Should you come to Canada its also possible the system here could be even tougher on your husband than it is in the UK. He could be working twice as hard in Canada & still whinge about this that & the other, with he saying yes 'I earn more but nobody appreciate my value'

You could write pages & pages of reasons not to emigrate as well as keep on asking 'do you think we should do it'

If you don't try - you wont know
Old Sep 30th 2013, 9:42 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Song reference was sort of a joke..

We're fed up of the government changes, which have particularly impacted on both of our jobs and careers. The NHS is a wonderful thing but it is failing, and while my job exists in a sort of a bubble due to the type of department it is, it is a really hard place to work. My husband in particular comes home demoralised from work ever day, and has to work a lot of OOH. He's miserable there at the moment and his pay is decreasing almost monthly, so money is sort of an incentive.

Work life balance. He will able to work less and still maintain a decent income.

Weather. God it rains a lot where we live. We like to cycle, winter sports etc, and ideally would like to have some proper seasons.

You only live once. The adventure.

Hopefully the children will have a better future in Canada than they will on our small island.
when is the house going up for sale, when will you start packing, when are you booking the flights and confirming with a hospital of your arrival date?

Tell everyone you know in the UK decision has been made 'we are emigrating'

Its really not all that dificult
Old Sep 30th 2013, 9:45 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

let me bring it back to the key points of your OP

other than you putting up the road blocks, nothing in life is for certain, things can & do change very quickly & do not take things for granted.

Should you come to Canada its also possible the system here could be even tougher on your husband than it is in the UK. He could be working twice as hard in Canada & still whinge about this that & the other, with he saying yes 'I earn more but nobody appreciate my value'

You could write pages & pages of reasons not to emigrate as well as keep on asking 'do you think we should do it'

If you don't try - you wont know
Yes that it is the bottom line.

I think it's an unfair comment about whinging. This is about a complete change of contract and hours and pay. The BMJ recently had an article about the large amount of GPs leaving the country. My husband is well aware that the grass may not be greener. Personally I think, how much can healthcare systems change country to country so there will be issues, they'll just be different ones.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 9:51 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

when is the house going up for sale, when will you start packing, when are you booking the flights and confirming with a hospital of your arrival date?

Tell everyone you know in the UK decision has been made 'we are emigrating'

Its really not all that dificult
House is sort of sold, not exchanged yet but nearly done it. Will arrive in January, and will definitely get someone else to do the packing!!! Mostly everyone know, and notices going in this week.

I wasn't really asking if we should go, I know that we should go, more that, is it ok to feel like this or if I ignore these misgivings will it end badly. I will throw myself into it so that it has all my effort to help it succeed.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

jossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Couldn't you just move to the country rather than a country? And in Canada you're sort of not allowed to go into the wide open spaces.
Eh?? There is nothing but wide open spaces to go into?
Old Sep 30th 2013, 9:56 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

House is sort of sold, not exchanged yet but nearly done it. Will arrive in January, and will definitely get someone else to do the packing!!! Mostly everyone know, and notices going in this week.

I wasn't really asking if we should go, I know that we should go, more that, is it ok to feel like this or if I ignore these misgivings will it end badly. I will throw myself into it so that it has all my effort to help it succeed.
Up to you, but based on your postings elsewhere, I'd judge you'll be just fine.

A bit of intelligence goes a long way.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 9:57 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Yes that it is the bottom line.

I think it's an unfair comment about whinging. This is about a complete change of contract and hours and pay.
you are whinging & you know you cannot change the system because the system is bigger than you. You know what you have to do - so do it, otherwise live with it & stop whinging about all that is wrong that your husband cannot change it working as a GP in the UK ... or can he?

I think, how much can healthcare systems change country to country so there will be issues, they'll just be different ones.

Stop the whinging & get on with it - make the life change ...'an adventure' I think you called it up thread
Old Sep 30th 2013, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jossie
Eh?? There is nothing but wide open spaces to go into?
http://www.lowdownonline.com/canada-...lic-footpaths/
Old Sep 30th 2013, 10:02 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

you are whinging & you know you cannot change the system because the system is bigger than you. You know what you have to do - so do it, otherwise live with it & stop whinging about all that is wrong that your husband cannot change it working as a GP in the UK ... or can he?

Stop the whinging & get on with it - make the life change ...'an adventure' I think you called it up thread
That's bollox. If there ever was a place to have a good whinge its here.

To the OP, whinge all you like Love but try and keep it a bit interesting, incorporate some stories about dwarves shagging ponies or something. They seem to love that sort of thing on here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.