Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

When are doubts more than that?!

When are doubts more than that?!

Old Oct 1st 2013, 10:52 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When are doubts more than that?!

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Did you do that on purpose?
Duh!
Old Oct 1st 2013, 10:53 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Duh!
Doh! FFS.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 12:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Largo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
My doctor is the complete opposite of yours. She works Mon-Fri 8.30 to 4pm, closed for an hour at lunchtime and only does immigration medicals on a Friday afternoon, no other patients. She takes 2 weeks off at Christmas, a week at Easter and 2-3 weeks in the Summer. However, she spends as much time as necessary with each patient - there is never a feeling of being rushed - listening and taking the time to find out what is wrong and will send you for any tests that she thinks would help. She is genuinely interested and involved with her patients and you can tell from her attitude and empathetic personality that she is not just in it for the money.

Before coming to BC.,when in Ontario, I had a GP, also a female, very much like yours. She and several other of the MDs in the practice would also do home visits. I never felt that she rushed me ( at most I saw her twice a yr unless, I had a serious problem).She always had time to discuss my concerns, and was genuinely interested , and was definitely not there just for the money.

In BC, I have been 'lucky' to get a family doctor, he sees patients 2 1/2 days a week. He, however, has very short appointment times , about 10mins. I feel as though I am on a conveyor belt; no time to listen to my concerns. He checks the latest lab tests and my BP , gets out a little computer, plugs in the numbers and tells me what my life expectancy is.
Maybe, I made a mistake in moving.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 12:49 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Largo
Before coming to BC.,when in Ontario, I had a GP, also a female, very much like yours. She and several other of the MDs in the practice would also do home visits. I never felt that she rushed me ( at most I saw her twice a yr unless, I had a serious problem).She always had time to discuss my concerns, and was genuinely interested , and was definitely not there just for the money.

In BC, I have been 'lucky' to get a family doctor, he sees patients 2 1/2 days a week. He, however, has very short appointment times , about 10mins. I feel as though I am on a conveyor belt; no time to listen to my concerns. He checks the latest lab tests and my BP , gets out a little computer, plugs in the numbers and tells me what my life expectancy is.
Maybe, I made a mistake in moving.
I have learned that looking backwards is nit a good plan. I owe you an email which i will aim to do this weekend
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Largo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I think you are right. Sometimes I do have doubts, but then, I remember other aspects of why I left.
Look forward to your email
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 4:32 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

It was a miracle I got a GP in Calgary, none of my neighbours seems to have one (and my immediate nextdoor neighbour is in rough shape). They all have to go to walk-in clinics.

The only reason I got one was because I was willing to sign up with a GP who was outside the city, then he decided to move to a strip mall a couple of km away. That was lucky.

Once when he went on holiday it was a total nightmare, I won't bore you with the details but it was bad. He keeps telling me he's thinking of retiring so God knows what I'll do then.