Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What's wrong with Canada?

What's wrong with Canada?

Old Mar 26th 2009, 11:27 am
Just Joined

exbrit is a name known to allexbrit is a name known to allexbrit is a name known to allexbrit is a name known to allexbrit is a name known to allexbrit is a name known to allexbrit is a name known to allexbrit is a name known to allexbrit is a name known to allexbrit is a name known to allexbrit is a name known to all
Default Re: What's wrong with Canada?

And lose/loose....
Old Mar 26th 2009, 11:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by exbrit
And lose/loose....
And advice/advise.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

there and their and they're are the ones that get me
Old Mar 26th 2009, 1:35 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elizabeth_action
I have to do this - call me a control freak; it's 'YOU'RE' not 'YOUR'.
If you are going to stay on this site I suggest you cease doing this, or you're likely to have a mental breakdown. Capitalization, punctuation, grammar and spelling are totally ignored by many posters. I can only assume it's the new/changed education system. It took me some time to come to terms with it, but now I treat it as a non-issue.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 1:36 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Whose/who's is another one.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 1:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
Whose/who's is another one.
Yep. And is it just me, or does anybody else get driven insane by people using 'was' instead of 'were'? I was watching The Apprentice last night and Alan Sugar kept saying it i.e. referring to something that had happened earlier in the day 'you was' rather than 'you were'. My sister-in-law does it too, says 'come' instead of 'came' i.e. 'remember that day you come to see us?'.

Drives me insane. And having children, I have to really hold myself back from correcting them - rather like not prompting adults to say 'please' and 'thank you' like I would automatically with the children!
Old Mar 26th 2009, 1:51 pm
Banned

irishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to all

Originally Posted by act1980
I have heard a lot of things that are right with it but curious to know what annoys some people.

I would like to know so I am not entering the country with rose tinted glasses!! I want the dirt lol!!

Nuffink!!
Old Mar 26th 2009, 2:03 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Welcome Madame_Action. For a small additional fee you can join the BE pedants club. Very exclusive, no riffraff.

Search on "Oakvillian".

Or on yourz trooly.
Hey - I resemble that remark!

To the best of my recollection, I've never started a thread-drift on points of grammatic or spelling pedantry; I try to limit myself to pointing out the ironic mote/plank juxtapositions in the posts of would-be pedants. Once battle is joined, though, it's no holds barred.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 2:08 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Hey - I resemble that remark!

To the best of my recollection, I've never started a thread-drift on points of grammatic or spelling pedantry; I try to limit myself to pointing out the ironic mote/plank juxtapositions in the posts of would-be pedants. Once battle is joined, though, it's no holds barred.
Do people follow you into elevators, or do they wait for the next one?
Old Mar 26th 2009, 2:17 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Do people follow you into elevators, or do they wait for the next one?
Strange, that... and there was me thinking I'm always very lucky getting the elevator to myself.

On the subject of elevators, I have a stinking cold at the moment, and pressure in my sinuses is giving me a toothache - hugely exacerbated by a 20-floor express elevator ride this morning.

I'm tempted by that disgusting-sounding process advertised on TV at the moment that fundamentally appears to be a bottle of seawater you stick up your nose and inhale. Has anybody tried it? Does it work? Is it advisable to stand over a sink to catch the outfall?
Old Mar 26th 2009, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I was watching The Apprentice last night and Alan Sugar kept saying it i.e. referring to something that had happened earlier in the day 'you was' rather than 'you were'. My sister-in-law does it too, says 'come' instead of 'came' i.e. 'remember that day you come to see us?'.
You probably won't want to intermingle with the general Canadian riff raff then...they often mix up the 'come' and the 'came'...another one that bothers me is when people say for example 'I seen that people on BE are ranting about grammar... It seems to be taken as acceptable speech by people in the Maritimes...my FIL is from NB, university educated, and he sees nothing wrong with it.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 2:24 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Strange, that... and there was me thinking I'm always very lucky getting the elevator to myself.

On the subject of elevators, I have a stinking cold at the moment, and pressure in my sinuses is giving me a toothache - hugely exacerbated by a 20-floor express elevator ride this morning.

I'm tempted by that disgusting-sounding process advertised on TV at the moment that fundamentally appears to be a bottle of seawater you stick up your nose and inhale. Has anybody tried it? Does it work? Is it advisable to stand over a sink to catch the outfall?
Last time I looked into it, inhaling water was known as drowning.

You may wish to try using nasal strips. Or olbas oil.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 2:32 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Has anybody tried it? Does it work? Is it advisable to stand over a sink to catch the outfall?

I personally know two people with sinus issues that use what's known as Netipots, basically the same procedure you're describing. Available in drug stores. They swear by it and contend sinuses much better. And yes, you do it over a sink. I'm delighted I don't have the [roblem.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 4:15 pm
Magnificently Withering

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
Has anybody tried it? Does it work? Is it advisable to stand over a sink to catch the outfall?

I personally know two people with sinus issues that use what's known as Netipots, basically the same procedure you're describing. Available in drug stores. They swear by it and contend sinuses much better. And yes, you do it over a sink. I'm delighted I don't have the [roblem.
I spoke to a pharmacist. Without being totally dismissive of the seawater spray thingies, she prefaced her comments by "this is not a decongestant" and went on with such lukewarm phraseology as "some people have found them effective as a regular treatment," "it won't help a short term sinus problem," and the clincher for me "you can't really use one if your nose is as blocked as yours sounds." I bought a pack of no-brand sinus relief tablets (acetaminophen and pseudoephidrine hydrochloride) instead. And a big box of tissues...
Old Mar 26th 2009, 4:41 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin;

And then there's problem / [roblem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.