Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

whats the food like in canada?

whats the food like in canada?

Old Aug 22nd 2013, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

lyn1972 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: whats the food like in canada?

Originally Posted by Dashie
For us, we find there's a lot of processed food. There is in the UK too, but here it seems to be full of a lot more crap and less actual food. We buy the majority of our food at a local farmer's market and from local farmers now and make our own. Supermarket meat is generally factory farmed, and the cows are fed corn, which really makes them ill, then they are pumped full of antobiotics, but the meat is marbled nicely because of it...

I'm sure someone will come and complain about the price of cheese very soon.

There are places to get some British foods, with price tags that reflect import costs.
Im very much a proper food person..... big meat eaters .... love our gravy dinners....... big cheese eaters too lol
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 2:17 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lyn1972
Lol well im sure I read you dont get gravy in canada is that true
Not so. Some folks who are incapable of making their own gravy go to great lengths to get "gravy granules" from the UK. Can't think why. But we do have gravy, even on poutine !
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 2:19 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

On the subject of food, I have got it into my head that I want to do a roast beef dinner. I have never done one before and my missus hasn't either. My mum was ace at it but it's too late now to ask her for advice.

From memory, timing and temperature are the key.

As a first attempt, I will cook for two people. I am looking at:

Roast beef
Individual Yorkshire puddings
Roast potatoes
Gravy
Roast parsnips
Probably some carrots
Peas (or sprouts) for the colour

I have absolutely no idea how to go about this and I will take any help I can get. One of you out there must know how to do this and the idea is in my head now, so a roast will be done.

Hopefully it is a messy and time-consuming process. Souvette has nicked all my clean and quick recipes, so I'm left with my mussels in cream/wine (too messy for her). I need something new.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Define gravy? Just because its not made with Bisto granules doesn't mean its not gravy.
Bisto is all I have ever used lol .....whats the canadian version then?
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Not so. Some folks who are incapable of making their own gravy go to great lengths to get "gravy granules" from the UK. Can't think why. But we do have gravy, even on poutine !
My mum used to make gravy but I have always used bisto ........ quite happy to make my own..... would just need to know how? Lol
Oh and whats is poutine?.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 2:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

My mum used to make gravy but I have always used bisto ........ quite happy to make my own..... would just need to know how? Lol
Oh and whats is poutine?.
In its simplest form french fries (chips) cheese curds and gravy.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 2:28 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
On the subject of food, I have got it into my head that I want to do a roast beef dinner. I have never done one before and my missus hasn't either. My mum was ace at it but it's too late now to ask her for advice.

From memory, timing and temperature are the key.

As a first attempt, I will cook for two people. I am looking at:

Roast beef
Individual Yorkshire puddings
Roast potatoes
Gravy
Roast parsnips
Probably some carrots
Peas (or sprouts) for the colour

I have absolutely no idea how to go about this and I will take any help I can get. One of you out there must know how to do this and the idea is in my head now, so a roast will be done.

Hopefully it is a messy and time-consuming process. Souvette has nicked all my clean and quick recipes, so I'm left with my mussels in cream/wine (too messy for her). I need something new.

when in doubt refer to the almighty of cooking
St Delia

http://www.deliaonline.com/how-to-co...oast-beef.html
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 2:29 pm
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
In its simplest form french fries (chips) cheese curds and gravy.
Bisto gravy isnt any better than anything over here!!! Real gravy is made from the blood and juice of the meat!!
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

AllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of light

In Calgary its surf n' turf....
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Souvy - get Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution, best roast I have ever cooked!

And Lyn, I have found bisto gravy granules in every supermarket I've looked for them. Bisto best at the local British shop.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cbrown89
Bisto gravy isnt any better than anything over here!!! Real gravy is made from the blood and juice of the meat!!
Meat ...... as big meat eaters is it still obviously beef, pork, lamb, and chicken...... do they do others.... wild bore?
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dashie
Souvy - get Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution, best roast I have ever cooked!

And Lyn, I have found bisto gravy granules in every supermarket I've looked for them. Bisto best at the local British shop.
Im probably sounding rather stupid buy hey ho ..... food is a big part of life lol ...... thats good dont need to bring a suitcase full of bisto then ...
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 2:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Meat ...... as big meat eaters is it still obviously beef, pork, lamb, and chicken...... do they do others.... wild bore?
Venison is common here, farmed or wild. Elk and ostrich are also widely available, the latter always being farmed.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 2:42 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
when in doubt refer to the almighty of cooking
St Delia

http://www.deliaonline.com/how-to-co...oast-beef.html
Delia is the god of cooking (her wild mushroom risotto is to die for). That recipe, however, tells me how to cook the beef. I need to know what to do with the other stuff and when.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

Lagotoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: whats the food like in canada?

Hi, I'm a newbie too...

Food wise if you bake watch out for the flour, neither All Purpose nor Cake & Pastry are the same as self-raising or plain my early attempts at my fail-safe cookies and muffins were tearful disasters (ok tears were a bit much but I was jet lagged too!). Google search for on conversion tips.

If you drink good instant coffee (we haven't found room for a machine yet before the real coffee abuse is thrown at me) bring some with you, there is very little choice here as Canadians are real coffee people.

For the sake of feeling local we tried Poutine and also peanut butter & jam sarnies.....WHY WOULD PEOPLE DO THAT?!?

i'll satisfy Dashie - cheese is extortionately expensive! We've stopped trying to buy anything other than standard blocks in supermarkets and buy nice varieties at the farmers markets and see it as a treat instead.

CostCo is good if you have some freezer space for meat etc. no joining requirements like in the UK, just take long your passport, register and shop.

Farmers markets are everywhere and while you may pay more for some things it will balance out, but the quality is much better, same applies to the independent butchers and fish mongers.

Measurements are different here but I've found this o be useful : http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/cooking/

Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.