Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

whats the food like in canada?

whats the food like in canada?

Old Aug 22nd 2013, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

lyn1972 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: whats the food like in canada?

Originally Posted by Lagotoz
Hi, I'm a newbie too...

Food wise if you bake watch out for the flour, neither All Purpose nor Cake & Pastry are the same as self-raising or plain my early attempts at my fail-safe cookies and muffins were tearful disasters (ok tears were a bit much but I was jet lagged too!). Google search for on conversion tips.

If you drink good instant coffee (we haven't found room for a machine yet before the real coffee abuse is thrown at me) bring some with you, there is very little choice here as Canadians are real coffee people.

For the sake of feeling local we tried Poutine and also peanut butter & jam sarnies.....WHY WOULD PEOPLE DO THAT?!?

i'll satisfy Dashie - cheese is extortionately expensive! We've stopped trying to buy anything other than standard blocks in supermarkets and buy nice varieties at the farmers markets and see it as a treat instead.

CostCo is good if you have some freezer space for meat etc. no joining requirements like in the UK, just take long your passport, register and shop.

Farmers markets are everywhere and while you may pay more for some things it will balance out, but the quality is much better, same applies to the independent butchers and fish mongers.

Measurements are different here but I've found this o be useful : http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/cooking/

Good luck
Hey thank you ..... where abouts are you ? We are coming to south edmonton all sounds great ... setting myself up here lol we are instant coffee drinkers .... nescafe gold blend mmmmmm and coffee mate love creamy coffee ....... but am up to being converted lol will bring plenty ...... am I allowed tooo..... oh my thats the next thing I havent been on a plane in 20 years ... x
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 3:24 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
We are sort of getting to where I want to be but we're missing the essentials. The beef bit seems to be sorted but what do I do with the other bits and when?

On principle, I would prefer to make my own puds.
Spuds:

Peel, Parboil for 15 mins. Drain. Rattle around in the saucepan (with the lid on) so they are floury. Heat oil (should be dripping but oil works too) in a baking pan til its really hot. Transfer spuds to baking pan, spooning over hot oil. Shove in oven at 450F for 40 mins or so. Do this at the end of the cooking cycle & take the beef out 30 mins or so before you are going to eat it to let it relax.

Parsnips: Can parboil first or just peel, chop into chunks, toss in some olive oil and put in a little bit after the spuds.

Yorkies. Make batter to recipe. Hot oil in muffin tins, add batter, in the oven at 450F for 20 mins or so.

Sorted.

Seriously, Go buy this: http://www.amazon.ca/Delias-Complete...mplete+cookery It has the specifics as to how to do all parts of a classic roast, plus many other things in it. Can't be beat IMHO.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 3:24 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
On the subject of food, I have got it into my head that I want to do a roast beef dinner. I have never done one before and my missus hasn't either. My mum was ace at it but it's too late now to ask her for advice.

From memory, timing and temperature are the key.

As a first attempt, I will cook for two people. I am looking at:

Roast beef
Individual Yorkshire puddings
Roast potatoes
Gravy
Roast parsnips
Probably some carrots
Peas (or sprouts) for the colour

I have absolutely no idea how to go about this and I will take any help I can get. One of you out there must know how to do this and the idea is in my head now, so a roast will be done.

Hopefully it is a messy and time-consuming process. Souvette has nicked all my clean and quick recipes, so I'm left with my mussels in cream/wine (too messy for her). I need something new.
Roast dinners are deceptively easy - it's much more about project management than any sort of cooking skill. But don't tell SWMBO - I've been getting away with impressing her for years with my roasting "skills."

The trick to doing roast beef with decent Yorkshires and potatoes is in the oven temperatures and timings. Other people have already posted on timings & temperatures for the beef. Here's the (limited) benefit of my experience for the rest.

Once the meat's in, see to the veg and other bits. Make the Yorkshire batter - it goes better if left to rest for a while before cooking so makes sense to do that first. Peel, chop and parboil the spuds for 5-8 mins or so (depending on how small you've chopped them), drain them and then give them a good shake in the pan so the edges get roughed up a bit - this helps them go crispy. Same with the parsnips - although it's not so important to parboil, it does help them crisp up nicely. If you remember, save some of the water you drain, to make gravy (the potato starch will help thicken it a bit) - but if not, it doesn't matter

Aim to take the joint out of the oven at least half an hour before you want to eat. Let it relax for 10 mins or so in the roasting pan before transferring it to a carving board, so the juices are all there for a good gravy. Cover it with a bit of foil and an old towel while it's resting if you want, though it will hold its heat well (and you'll be covering it in warm gravy anyway...).

As soon as the joint's out of the oven, whack it up to 450. Heat some fat (goose fat is the very best, but canola oil will do fine) in a roasting pan; when it's piping hot throw the spuds in (tipping the pot away from you: the hot fat will spit!) and pop in the oven, turning/basting occasionally with the fat in the bottom of the pan. Parsnips can either go on a baking tray or (my preference) make a little foil "parcel" of the parsnips and a knob of butter, that way they'll be tender and a bit caramelised at the edges without burning to a crisp. Leave them in the hot oven while the meat rests - they'll be done when you're ready to carve.

My family goes mad for carrots done in a foil packet too. Slice them into batons, rather than rounds, put them in the middle of a largish sheet of foil, add a decent knob of butter (a dessertspoon or so) and a teaspoonful of honey, sprinkle with salt and pepper, fold up the edges of the foil to seal tightly. Throw in the oven (they usually share a small baking tray with the parsnips in my oven, just to support the parcel) with the other veggies.

Yorkshires, too, need smoking hot oil. For individual puddings, no more than a teaspoon or so of oil in each well of a muffin pan is OK. They don't take quite as long to cook - around 15-20 minutes. There's plenty of good batter recipes around (basically flour, milk and eggs with a pinch of salt) - I think BBC Good Food website has a reasonable one. If you can arrange it, make sure there's space on the top shelf of your oven for the puddings.

Peas or sprouts are easy - I usually microwave frozen peas, but steam fresh ones. Sprouts need to be well trimmed, and if you're not doing something fancy with them (sauteed with garlic and bacon? Mmmm) then make sure you cut little slots or Xs into the stalk end to help them cook evenly all the way through, then boil for 7-8 minutes. Overcooked sprouts are unpleasant - they should still have some crunch to them rather than being all limp and soggy.

Proper gravy seems to scare people. Put the roasting pan on the stovetop, set a medium heat under it, stir up all the juices and scrape any bits off the bottom of the pan. When it's bubbling, add around a tablespoon of plain flour. Stirring constantly (with a balloon whisk to help break down any lumps), add in a glass or two's worth of wine - a slug of port or brandy won't go amiss, too. Simmer and stir a few more minutes, add some of the potato water if you need more volume, check the flavour, season if necessary. If it's too runny let it boil down a bit, if it's too thick thin it with a little more water.

Enjoy!

One comment, though: I don't think I've ever done a roast meal for only 2 people. I would seriously consider catering for at least four, and seeing to the leftovers over the next couple of days. "joined-up meat" cooks better when there's more of it - otherwise it's all the outside crispy bits and not enough of the beautiful pink flesh on the inside. A balance is needed...
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

Lagotoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lyn1972
Thanks guys I am now hungry
All sounds pretty good......

Going off subject ........slightly lol ........ t.v....... here we have sky tv ...... we love it ..... my little girl loves disney junior chanel ..... with long winters will want my t.v lol ...... do you have sky tv out there . ? If not what? Do you get english tv ......cant say im that fussed but I like emmerdale ...... also disney channels? ?......... thanks again

We have Shaw cable here in Vancouver but so far haven't worked out the channels worth watching and really miss UK TV (never thought we'd say that!). We've resorted to NetFlix.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
sky tv is a europe thing due to satellite poitioning etc

cable / satellite TV providers depend on the region
In Toronto Bell and Rogers are the big ones. You can google their websites to see the kind of dross they offer
We would be edmonton.thanks
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 3:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I've only seen Elk and Bison at specialty butchers and I've never seen Ostrich.
There is an elk and bison farm (covering many acres) south of Calgary next to a barn at which my daughters used to keep their horses. A butcher selling the meat is situated very close to the farm.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lyn1972
Hey thank you ..... where abouts are you ? We are coming to south edmonton all sounds great ... setting myself up here lol we are instant coffee drinkers .... nescafe gold blend mmmmmm and coffee mate love creamy coffee ....... but am up to being converted lol will bring plenty ...... am I allowed tooo..... oh my thats the next thing I havent been on a plane in 20 years ... x

We're in Vancouver (Kitsilano). You can bring some food goods over, have a look on the CBSA website (Canada Border Services). I wish I'd brought a crate of coffee and a huge box of Walkers Cheese & Onion crisps!! Not missing anything else (yet). Food is definitely more expensive here but I believe that depends on province and what items the government subsidizes, the cost is balanced by lifestyle though as recreation is much cheaper.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Roast dinners are deceptively easy - it's much more about project management than any sort of cooking skill. But don't tell SWMBO - I've been getting away with impressing her for years with my roasting "skills."

The trick to doing roast beef with decent Yorkshires and potatoes is in the oven temperatures and timings. Other people have already posted on timings & temperatures for the beef. Here's the (limited) benefit of my experience for the rest.

Once the meat's in, see to the veg and other bits. Make the Yorkshire batter - it goes better if left to rest for a while before cooking so makes sense to do that first. Peel, chop and parboil the spuds for 5-8 mins or so (depending on how small you've chopped them), drain them and then give them a good shake in the pan so the edges get roughed up a bit - this helps them go crispy. Same with the parsnips - although it's not so important to parboil, it does help them crisp up nicely. If you remember, save some of the water you drain, to make gravy (the potato starch will help thicken it a bit) - but if not, it doesn't matter

Aim to take the joint out of the oven at least half an hour before you want to eat. Let it relax for 10 mins or so in the roasting pan before transferring it to a carving board, so the juices are all there for a good gravy. Cover it with a bit of foil and an old towel while it's resting if you want, though it will hold its heat well (and you'll be covering it in warm gravy anyway...).

As soon as the joint's out of the oven, whack it up to 450. Heat some fat (goose fat is the very best, but canola oil will do fine) in a roasting pan; when it's piping hot throw the spuds in (tipping the pot away from you: the hot fat will spit!) and pop in the oven, turning/basting occasionally with the fat in the bottom of the pan. Parsnips can either go on a baking tray or (my preference) make a little foil "parcel" of the parsnips and a knob of butter, that way they'll be tender and a bit caramelised at the edges without burning to a crisp. Leave them in the hot oven while the meat rests - they'll be done when you're ready to carve.

My family goes mad for carrots done in a foil packet too. Slice them into batons, rather than rounds, put them in the middle of a largish sheet of foil, add a decent knob of butter (a dessertspoon or so) and a teaspoonful of honey, sprinkle with salt and pepper, fold up the edges of the foil to seal tightly. Throw in the oven (they usually share a small baking tray with the parsnips in my oven, just to support the parcel) with the other veggies.

Yorkshires, too, need smoking hot oil. For individual puddings, no more than a teaspoon or so of oil in each well of a muffin pan is OK. They don't take quite as long to cook - around 15-20 minutes. There's plenty of good batter recipes around (basically flour, milk and eggs with a pinch of salt) - I think BBC Good Food website has a reasonable one. If you can arrange it, make sure there's space on the top shelf of your oven for the puddings.

Peas or sprouts are easy - I usually microwave frozen peas, but steam fresh ones. Sprouts need to be well trimmed, and if you're not doing something fancy with them (sauteed with garlic and bacon? Mmmm) then make sure you cut little slots or Xs into the stalk end to help them cook evenly all the way through, then boil for 7-8 minutes. Overcooked sprouts are unpleasant - they should still have some crunch to them rather than being all limp and soggy.

Proper gravy seems to scare people. Put the roasting pan on the stovetop, set a medium heat under it, stir up all the juices and scrape any bits off the bottom of the pan. When it's bubbling, add around a tablespoon of plain flour. Stirring constantly (with a balloon whisk to help break down any lumps), add in a glass or two's worth of wine - a slug of port or brandy won't go amiss, too. Simmer and stir a few more minutes, add some of the potato water if you need more volume, check the flavour, season if necessary. If it's too runny let it boil down a bit, if it's too thick thin it with a little more water.

Enjoy!

One comment, though: I don't think I've ever done a roast meal for only 2 people. I would seriously consider catering for at least four, and seeing to the leftovers over the next couple of days. "joined-up meat" cooks better when there's more of it - otherwise it's all the outside crispy bits and not enough of the beautiful pink flesh on the inside. A balance is needed...
Now this sounds yummy carrots done in oven will def be trying when I need recipe tips no where to come mmmmmmm I bet you have lots round for a roast lol
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 3:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lagotoz
, the cost is balanced by lifestyle though as recreation is much cheaper.
It'd take an awful lot of jet skiing to balance the price of cheese.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 3:35 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian

Enjoy!

There has been some pretty good advice on here already. This one I will print and keep!
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dbd33
It'd take an awful lot of jet skiing to balance the price of cheese.
Agree, agree, agree

I miss cheese
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Yes but in Calgary isn't "surf & turf" fish fingers and bologna ?
Here in N S it's steak and lobster.
It's probably better in Calgary, the lobsters are shipped live and the beef is going to be prime. I saw a travelogue that included a trip to a 'destination' seafood cafe in NS and I wouldn't mind going there at all, I'm a lobster fan! We used to have lobster night at the bar back in the '80s, get cases flown in from Pictou Island Fisherman's Co-op and boil them up out on the roof on Coleman stoves. Iirc $25 paid for 2 big lobsters and a bottle of red. That was a great event to volunteer at the bar as we got the leftover lobsters.
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Ben makes the best roast potatoes ever

he par boils them first ( puts them straight into boiling water), puts fat in oven at the same time as the poatatoes go in the water

when they are part cooked yuo starin them , shake them really well to fluff up the outsides and then put them into hot fat

baste them at regular intervals

and I hate you all for making me hungry for a roast
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 3:41 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
You'll want the meat to be on some sort of rack over a roasting pan. The carrots and spuds go into the pan at a timing that can only really be determined by practise, I go at an hour and 10 for the carrots/parsnips and an hour for the spuds, turning them three times. A couple of onions go in with the carrots. Don't forget to allow that the meat has to come out and sit but the vegetables don't.
Souvy, yes, dbd, is right it is all in the timing and practice... since I've moved to Canada...my kitchen is awaiting restoration and I can't afford the lamb! However, you should par boil your spuds (a good chipping potato is best for roasties) at high boil for ten mins, then drain off the water and shake the pan a bit to roughen up the edges, they need to be pretty dry. Put a heavy bottomed roasting dish on the hob, and put a good lob of oil in it...I used to use Goose fat, but I can't get it here, so I use Duck fat here, or I have used Colza, and when it's hot pop your spuds in and brown them very quickly for a couple of minutes, then put the pan in the oven and 50 minutes later you will have great roasties. I briefly brown some carrots, and parsnips, and a bit of turnip and anything else rootie that I fancy, and pop it into a tin foil package with some butter and herbs and seal it up and put it in with the spuds, and it will be ready at the same time.

I make my own gravy mostly, unless it's a quick dinner, there are good quality stock cubes on the bio bits in the supermarkets. I don't buy prepacked food here, it is utter rubbish, sodium and crap laden. We eat well from scratch. I so wish we could get venison or any exotic meats, I do love wild boar, had it lots before, can't get it here. I do have a chunk of Moose in my freezer, and we are going to try it this weekend! I am very excited.

All of the 'better' restaurants here, in our bit, are little more than gastro pubs, they have decent fish though.

We eat well, and exercise, but nevertheless I have gained weight since coming to Canada.

Last edited by MillieF; Aug 22nd 2013 at 3:42 pm. Reason: typo
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 3:45 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
There is an elk and bison farm (covering many acres) south of Calgary next to a barn at which my daughters used to keep their horses. A butcher selling the meat is situated very close to the farm.
Yeah - a specialty place not Sobeys or Superstore, there are loads of elk and bison farms around that sell the meat too. I remember being able to buy Ostrich in Tescos.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.