Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Whats Driving Like over there

Whats Driving Like over there

Old Jan 16th 2007, 8:08 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats Driving Like over there

Originally Posted by louisasurreygirl
I personally cannot stand driving in Canada and avoid it as much as possible, especially as we are downtown Toronto. Everyone seems to speed through the green lights, and it terrifies me that pedestrians are allowed to cross at the same time as cars turning. Even walking downtown to work, I have had my feet virtually touched by aggressive drivers wanting to mow me down!

I cannot stand the huge highways with lots of lane swapping too, and the idiots that brake for no apparent reason right in front of you at 80mph. Another thing, virtually nobody signals the 'thank you sign' by simply putting a hand up when you give way - pure ignorance.... !

Give me teeny country lanes, roundabouts and british courtesy anytime over this!
Hmm, thats driving in Toronto, not driving in canada

Out here in the boonies none of thats a problem... politeness is the order of the day, but I dont care for dtiving in Toronto particulary either.

The brakeing at 80mph thing is probably folks turning the cruise control off. I always try to use the "cancel" switch, but lots of people use the brake to overide it.

TBH it sounds like you lack a bit of confidence...have you considered something like a refresher course here?

As a pedestrian though "right turn on red" makes me very wary too.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 8:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Urgh gross!

We've had a few 'beggars' shaking their Tim Horton's cups at us before and boys just coming up and washing our windshields with gawd-knows what, but that is just nasty (on both accounts!)!
It's all got much worse since they banned windshield washing; now all the beggar has is intimidation.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 2:27 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I personally cannot stand driving in Canada and avoid it as much as possible, especially as we are downtown Toronto. Everyone seems to speed through the green lights, and it terrifies me that pedestrians are allowed to cross at the same time as cars turning. Even walking downtown to work, I have had my feet virtually touched by aggressive drivers wanting to mow me down!

I cannot stand the huge highways with lots of lane swapping too, and the idiots that brake for no apparent reason right in front of you at 80mph. Another thing, virtually nobody signals the 'thank you sign' by simply putting a hand up when you give way - pure ignorance.... !

Give me teeny country lanes, roundabouts and british courtesy anytime over this!

Louisa, I share your pain. It's the pure ignorance that gets me. I mean, simply putting your hand up to say thank you is surely international, if not galactic!!!!!

Give me teeny cerebral cortexes, obfuscation and british courtesy anytime over that!
Old Jan 17th 2007, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

ontres has a spectacular aura aboutontres has a spectacular aura aboutontres has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by dbd33
Good God no. Sooner or later the Americans will come to their senses and switch causing Canada to follow suit.
- One of the Scandinavian countries, years ago, Denmark I think, changed from L to R, and one bright implementation scheme proposed was for trucks to change on Monday, and cars on Tuesday!
- Vehicles in BC were driven on the left until about 1922, unlike the rest of the country. (No road connection with Alberta at that time).
- There was no road connecting Ontario with Manitoba north of Lake Superior until the 60's - you had to go through the States.
- Until about that time, also, the majority of roads were gravelled (excepting main highways), so dust was everywhere.
- It is now possible to drive to the shores of the Arctic Ocean, in the Yukon.
- Before the 401 was built the major E-W route in S Ont was Highway 2. And you think that traffic jams on the M25 are bad ? No comparison.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I mean, simply putting your hand up to say thank you is surely international, if not galactic!!!!!
If you put your hand up just make sure that you show all your fingers!
Old Jan 17th 2007, 10:31 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flashman
If you put your hand up just make sure that you show all your fingers!
Apart from in Quebec? Dont the 'French' get confused if you show them more than two fingers???
Old Jan 18th 2007, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

I've always been entertained by the 4x4 / SUV drivers around Calgary who view the highway merely as a rough approximation of where they should be going when it comes to intersections and turn-offs.

If there's a queue past the turn-off, straight up onto the verge.

Never really had any issues in BC, even downtown Vancouver at rush hour is tame compared to the Calgarian school of lane-changing. Stopping distance? What stopping distance?
Old Jan 18th 2007, 4:35 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Apart from in Quebec? Dont the 'French' get confused if you show them more than two fingers???
Montreal drivers are a breed apart. The rear indicator light means "look what I just did" or, more often, "did what I just did make you $hit yourself?".
Old Jan 18th 2007, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

bluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to all

If i have a british licence can i drive in vancouver?

thanks

paul
Old Jan 18th 2007, 5:18 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bluenose27
If i have a british licence can i drive in vancouver?

thanks

paul
simple answer?
Yes.

Less simple answer?
Only for 90 days, by which time you must have started the process of swapping for a BC licence.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Just come back from 2 weeks in B.C. and i can honestly say that whilst most of the drivers seem curteous and the roads were on the whole quiet by UK standards they do drive like bloody lunatics when there's snow and ice on the ground. I could feel the wheels slipping at times and was driving carefully but not rediculously slow and lost count of how many people overtook me like i was standing still.
It's one thing having good traction with a 4 x 4 but stopping from speed in those conditions is not so easy but they still managed to avarage 100 kmh and as for the trucks they sit so close behind you it's like a scene from that film Duel.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

jood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant future

Treacherous this morning - a layer of snow over a layer of even thicker ice - which is why I've wimped out and stayed at home instead of taking hubby to work so I can have the car!
Old Jan 19th 2007, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ontres
-
- There was no road connecting Ontario with Manitoba north of Lake Superior until the 60's - you had to go through the States.
And the road that is there is completely and utterly $h!t - Highway 17 is probably one of the most dangerous roads in Canada, between Dryden and the Manitoba border. I've lost count of the number of times it's been closed this winter for hours at a time because of the accidents - single lane each way in most places, black ice and no hard shoulder so you spin off the road into a rock cut. Ouch!

Best to go through the US if going to Manitoba from Southern Ontario during winter months.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 5:39 pm
sjs
samx

sjs is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I have held a uk drivers licence for 10years and lived in Cornwall prior to moving to Vancouver in October, so I am not use to large volumes of traffic or an automatic. I have just passed my bc drivers licence, it was fine. There are a few strange things here but you get use to them fairly quickly. You have 90 days to drive on your uk licence when arriving before you have to take your test otherwise your licence becomes invalid. You also need to sit your theory exam again however that was just common sense. The traffic here is in high volumes but people generally are fairly good at letting you in and giving you space. Getting use a automatic and driving on the other side of the road are fine and after driving a couple of times you will not remember what it was like to drive on the side you are use to. Hope that helps anything else just ask sam