Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Whats Driving Like over there

Whats Driving Like over there

Old Jan 12th 2007, 3:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats Driving Like over there

Originally Posted by NessieOggy
Here's some Canadian trivia for ya

Despite the developments in the US, some parts of Canada continued to drive on the left until shortly after the Second World War. The territory controlled by the French (from Quebec to Louisiana) drove on the right, Oggy
I'm pretty sure they didn't have cars the last time the French owned the Louisiana Territory.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canada Jane
When we can over I was quite concerned about driving here. We had been to Canada and the US lots of times, but my husband had always driven. I was concerned about driving on the wrong side of the road, the size of truck we had (Ford Sport Trac), automatic trans and of course the different rules.

However, I took to it like a duck to water. I can only remember reaching for the clutch once and have never been concerned about driving on the right. In fact I feel it is more natural to drive on the right. Also turning right on a red light is a brilliant idea. But like others say, we could do with a few roundabouts here. Some of the junctions get very congested and this could easily be solved by a roundabout.

We live in a rural area, but even driving in Belleville it never gets too bad. Mind you, we both hate driving round Toronto as that really does resemble the UK on a bad day.

Speed limits seem to be kept to more than they would in the UK. It seems pretty acceptable on the 401 where the limit is 100 kph to go 120, but any faster and you are frowned upon.

Bad driving stands out far more here. You still get the odd boy racer in their Honda Civic, but even they don't seem as bad as they were in the UK.

My husband used to speed everywhere in the UK and tailgate etc. I used to hate being a passenger and my seat had hand impressions permanently imprinted from where I used to grip the seat in panic. But all that has stopped in Canada. He drives at reasonable speeds, keeps reasonable distances back and I have no fear of being a passenger anymore. He says he doesn't feel he has to drive aggressively as no one else does!

So, I personally am all for Canadian driving!

Our truck has the gear stick in the center, but annoyingly as the break release under the steering wheel area. Why is cannot be somewhere more convenient I don't know.

Also, a lot of American cars have steering wheels that do not seem to be attached in any way to the driving wheels. This means that you can turn 45 degrees on the steering wheel and not change direction! Our truck is not like that, thank God, but many we have hired in the past have been. It is why you see films with people driving in the US and they are moving the wheel all over the place even though they are driving in a straight line - you can, it doesn't make one iota difference to the direction you are going!

Jane
LOL, no they dont drive agressively, they drive dopeyly. I have to disagree with you, good driving stands out here, bad driving is the norm. Its rare for anyone to let you out in traffic, or to do anything to help traffic flow. They drive too too close, have a cellphone in one hand and a Timmies welded to
the other. Mirrors? what are they for? oh i could rant all night about the driving.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

doodlebum will become famous soon enoughdoodlebum will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by batty-x-ray
LOL, no they dont drive agressively, they drive dopeyly. I have to disagree with you, good driving stands out here, bad driving is the norm. Its rare for anyone to let you out in traffic, or to do anything to help traffic flow. They drive too too close, have a cellphone in one hand and a Timmies welded to
the other. Mirrors? what are they for? oh i could rant all night about the driving.

As a Canadian living in the UK, I can say the same about driving here as you do about Canada. They're just as bad here for being up your arse, driving while on the phone and who knows what the hell else. How about those smokers out there?? Do you think they're paying attention while they're digging out and lighting up the 50th fag in a mile?? How about cutting up on an island?? As for letting you in traffic, or out as the case may be, it doesn't happen here that often in my experience.

Long and the short of it is, not ALL drivers are bad or discourteous. People just like to pick up on and complain about the ones that tick them off.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

As a Canadian living in the UK, I can say the same about driving here as you do about Canada.
In my experience British driving has degenerated dramatically over the last fifteen years or so as speed cameras have taken over from traffic police; people today know they can drive as badly as they like so long as they don't go over the speed limit near a camera (or can do anything if they're a chav with fake plates), and many do.

I was reading an article a few days ago which claimed that many British police forces now have zero traffic police... so who's going to stop them?

Last edited by MarkG; Jan 12th 2007 at 11:19 am.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 11:24 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
Of course But I think its allowed in some places in quebec, just to add to the general confusion I expect. They probably only signpost that in French just to spite the Anglos
It's allowed in most of Quebec, although some junctions have signs prohibiting it for safety reasons.

The only place I can think of where there is a blanket ban is Montreal. Even there, I believe moves are afoot to lift the ban on environmental grounds.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 11:26 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
good lord what cars have you driven? Maybe a decade or so ago they were still producing cars with recirculating ball steering, but now just about everything is rack and pinion. Very responsive steering.
I don't think you can have driven in Europe recently. The quality of the steering and the suspension on the bottom level Fiat Punto we recently rented was way better than any of the vehicles I've driven in North America recently (some were Honda Element, Ford Mustang, Ford Escape, Toyota Highlander). The steering on most recent Chrysler products is vague to the point that reversing is difficult; fortunately someone of an age and disposition to drive a Chrysler isn't likely to live in a place where parallel parking is required. A neighbour has a new Cadillac, one of the ugly ones, and a steering knob like on a tractor.

I don't think Canadians have a culture of driving or interest in vehicles so the manufacturers offer them vehicles that emulate living rooms more closely than racing cars. I can see why, most of Canada's isn't very interesting to drive in; 400 miles in a straight line doesn't need much in the way of steering.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't think you can have driven in Europe recently. The quality of the steering and the suspension on the bottom level Fiat Punto we recently rented was way better than any of the vehicles I've driven in North America recently (some were Honda Element, Ford Mustang, Ford Escape, Toyota Highlander). The steering on most recent Chrysler products is vague to the point that reversing is difficult; fortunately someone of an age and disposition to drive a Chrysler isn't likely to live in a place where parallel parking is required. A neighbour has a new Cadillac, one of the ugly ones, and a steering knob like on a tractor.

I don't think Canadians have a culture of driving or interest in vehicles so the manufacturers offer them vehicles that emulate living rooms more closely than racing cars. I can see why, most of Canada's isn't very interesting to drive in; 400 miles in a straight line doesn't need much in the way of steering.
I often wonder why Canadian cars have so much power under the hood when speed limits are so low. We, for our sins, have a Sunfire, which has a 2.3 litre engine. My missus, the driver, rarely goes above 120 so the thing just purrs along at no more than 2500rpm. On a few occasions when she has floored it, usually to avoid a sudden and violent death in Montreal, the thing has taken off like a dragster.

We haven't used the 401 in more than 2 years, which is a good thing. The 417 is wonderful.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 11:42 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
We haven't used the 401 in more than 2 years, which is a good thing. The 417 is wonderful.
No 401, no QEW, no DVP. Bliss!
Old Jan 12th 2007, 11:49 am

No 401, no QEW, no DVP. Bliss!
Even as a confirmed passenger, I can see the bliss factor there.

I've only very recently realised why the 417 is so pleasant. We use it a lot to visit the MIL on the South Shore. Even crossing through both Ottawa and Montreal, our average speed for the trip is usually over 100.

Can you guess why?

<PS: the same rule applies for the 417 as for the 401. Don't speed near places beginning with C>
Old Jan 12th 2007, 12:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Even as a confirmed passenger, I can see the bliss factor there.

I've only very recently realised why the 417 is so pleasant. We use it a lot to visit the MIL on the South Shore. Even crossing through both Ottawa and Montreal, our average speed for the trip is usually over 100.

Can you guess why?

<PS: the same rule applies for the 417 as for the 401. Don't speed near places beginning with C>
Because you don't have to keep stopping?
Old Jan 12th 2007, 12:31 pm

Because you don't have to keep stopping?
Close.

The real answer is that there are very, very few trucks. When we came back from St Hubert over Xmas (about 225km) we did not pass one single truck. Not one.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by doodlebum
As a Canadian living in the UK, I can say the same about driving here as you do about Canada. They're just as bad here for being up your arse, driving while on the phone and who knows what the hell else. How about those smokers out there?? Do you think they're paying attention while they're digging out and lighting up the 50th fag in a mile?? How about cutting up on an island?? As for letting you in traffic, or out as the case may be, it doesn't happen here that often in my experience.

Long and the short of it is, not ALL drivers are bad or discourteous. People just like to pick up on and complain about the ones that tick them off.
I agree about smokers, thats shoudl be banned along with drinking, eating and using the phone at the wheel. Since the phone ban in the UK that side is much much better. I rarely saw anyone using a mobile. My experience was that drivers in the UK will let you into a row of traffic, will let you out of a side road into a main road before they turn into that side road, cars here are nearly always far far too close. They dont put lights on in fog, cut across the middle line when taking a left or right turn and almost take your front bumper off, cross solid centre lines all the time..........

you see it one way I see it another. Lifes like that.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 12:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Close.

The real answer is that there are very, very few trucks. When we came back from St Hubert over Xmas (about 225km) we did not pass one single truck. Not one.
That is another world. I hate it on the 401 when I'm boxed in, unable to see the signs, because of all the trucks. I hate it more when it's wet or snowing.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 12:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by batty-x-ray
I agree about smokers, thats shoudl be banned along with drinking, eating and using the phone at the wheel.
I routinely do all of the above. One needs to do something to pass the time.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Since the phone ban in the UK that side is much much better.
Hardly. I'm getting sick of having to pass people who've stopped in the middle of the road -- often just before a blind bend -- to chat to someone on their phone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.