Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Whats Driving Like over there

Whats Driving Like over there

Old Jan 12th 2007, 8:21 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats Driving Like over there

Unless a sign tells you not to, you may turn right on a red light only after coming to a complete stop and waiting until the way is clear.
Ontario drivers handbook (ie the highway code here)

Did anyone mention school buses yet? Thats another big difference, No one, and that mean NO ONE passes a stationary school bus with its lights flashing and sign out. I think the penalty is death or something....people will grass on their own grannies if they saw it happen.

That includes buses on the opposite side of an undivided dual carriageway.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 8:51 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's true. You have to stop but you don't have to wait for the light.
You have to stop?
Nobody told me this!!!! I thought it was just a rolling stop you had to do???
Old Jan 12th 2007, 8:52 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink

Did anyone mention school buses yet? Thats another big difference, No one, and that mean NO ONE passes a stationary school bus with its lights flashing and sign out. I think the penalty is death or something....people will grass on their own grannies if they saw it happen.

OH SHEET.

Can I choose hanging??
Old Jan 12th 2007, 9:17 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by liquidsuite
Thanks for all the comments. Very interesting to read about all your thought on driving out there. I noticed someone saying about beeing able to make right turnings whilst lights are red?????? Sounds a bit funny, is it a joke or is it true.
We drive on the right, remember? If you're at a light-controlled junction waiting to turn right, what's the point in sitting there if nothing is coming from the left. All you are doing is idling the engine, which is less efficient and chucks out nastier emissions. Canada could certainly do with more roundabouts, for the same reason.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 9:18 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I've not yet seen a school bus with flashing red lights and the stop sign sticking out ..........

.....though I did once spend several minutes debating whether I was allowed to pass a school bus that just had its orange (hazard?) lights flashing as it was loading up kids outside a school.

I eventually decided it must be ok to pass it when I realised that all the drivers behind were hooting and yelling at me to move!

Bloody Canadians and their silly traffic rules .......
Old Jan 12th 2007, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Unless a sign tells you not to, you may turn right on a red light only after coming to a complete stop and waiting until the way is clear.
Ontario drivers handbook (ie the highway code here)

the penalty is public humiliation, followed by disemboweling then hanging. thats only if they are in a good mood
Old Jan 12th 2007, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
I've not yet seen a school bus with flashing red lights and the stop sign sticking out ..........

.....though I did once spend several minutes debating whether I was allowed to pass a school bus that just had its orange (hazard?) lights flashing as it was loading up kids outside a school.

I eventually decided it must be ok to pass it when I realised that all the drivers behind were hooting and yelling at me to move!

Bloody Canadians and their silly traffic rules .......
i did that too!!!
Old Jan 13th 2007, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Snave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
You have to stop?
Nobody told me this!!!! I thought it was just a rolling stop you had to do???
On a bike you are expected to put a foot down. That shows you have actually completely stopped. Same applies at a four-way stop.
Old Jan 13th 2007, 9:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

When I first arrived, I bought a cheap car, a 1973 Oldsmobile Regency Brougham. A very large car which, perversely, had the front seat stuck fully forward requiring that the driver bow his legs as if on a horse. I was driving this monster to work in a suitably stately fashion with another new import from the UK as a passenger.

"Oh look" said the passenger, pointing to a school bus with its lights flashing "there's a school bus, arent you supposed to do something?"

"Er, yeah, stop maybe" I said, stopping hard.

The catering truck behind didn't stop. Fortunately, there's ten feet of trunk between the back bumper and the rear window of a proper American car so we felt the impact as a gentle wave some while later. The truck was in a bad way and needed towing. Before it was towed, the driver agreed to pay me $500 for the damage to the Oldsmobile (cost of car $850). Inevitably he paid me from his takings; $500 in twentys, tens and smaller.
Old Jan 13th 2007, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't think Canadians have a culture of driving or interest in vehicles so the manufacturers offer them vehicles that emulate living rooms more closely than racing cars. I can see why, most of Canada's isn't very interesting to drive in; 400 miles in a straight line doesn't need much in the way of steering.
I would suggest the following differences

UK narrow twisting roads require firm suspensions and sensitive steering where wide straight roads in Canada require softer suspension and looser steering.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 6:45 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Snave
On a bike you are expected to put a foot down.
I always put my foot down when I see a red light.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 9:39 am
Just Joined

qjamesfloyd is on a distinguished road

It's funny reading all the negative comments about the Canadian driving, because my wife who is Canadian thinks we all crazy over here in th UK. She thinks we drive more faster, and the roads are narrower(which they are) and she says because the roads are narrower it's weird we are aloud to park on both sides of the road, making the road even more narrow.
Her family have come over for a visit here and they are the same, they get scared on our roads, to me it's just natural, the funny thing is my wife took and failed her driving test 6 times in Canada, but took it here and passed it first time!! it took me 2 times to pass and i'm English, go figure!!!
I have driven in Canada lots of times, always in Ontario, and i find it so much better over there, in the rural areas it's so laid back and relaxed, and it's great to ba able to drive a long time without seeing traffic lights!! I live in Southampton, and they have more light than almost any other UK city, so rural Canada is lovely. Even driving through Ottawa i did'nt find it that bad, no where near as bad as London.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

louisasurreygirl is on a distinguished road

I personally cannot stand driving in Canada and avoid it as much as possible, especially as we are downtown Toronto. Everyone seems to speed through the green lights, and it terrifies me that pedestrians are allowed to cross at the same time as cars turning. Even walking downtown to work, I have had my feet virtually touched by aggressive drivers wanting to mow me down!

I cannot stand the huge highways with lots of lane swapping too, and the idiots that brake for no apparent reason right in front of you at 80mph. Another thing, virtually nobody signals the 'thank you sign' by simply putting a hand up when you give way - pure ignorance.... !

Give me teeny country lanes, roundabouts and british courtesy anytime over this!
Old Jan 16th 2007, 7:50 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louisasurreygirl
I personally cannot stand driving in Canada and avoid it as much as possible, especially as we are downtown Toronto. Everyone seems to speed through the green lights, and it terrifies me that pedestrians are allowed to cross at the same time as cars turning. Even walking downtown to work, I have had my feet virtually touched by aggressive drivers wanting to mow me down!

I cannot stand the huge highways with lots of lane swapping too, and the idiots that brake for no apparent reason right in front of you at 80mph. Another thing, virtually nobody signals the 'thank you sign' by simply putting a hand up when you give way - pure ignorance.... !

Give me teeny country lanes, roundabouts and british courtesy anytime over this!

In Toronto another problem is the beggars at the lights. I drove yesterday and had some chap press his nose against the window and leave snot streaks. When I commuted by convertible working girls would climb right in and try to negotiate a ride for a suck. It really is most bothersome.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

louisasurreygirl is on a distinguished road

Urgh gross!

We've had a few 'beggars' shaking their Tim Horton's cups at us before and boys just coming up and washing our windshields with gawd-knows what, but that is just nasty (on both accounts!)!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.