Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Whats Driving Like over there

Whats Driving Like over there

Old Jan 12th 2007, 1:55 pm
  #31  
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 9,606
Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Whats Driving Like over there

Originally Posted by dbd33 View Post
That is another world. I hate it on the 401 when I'm boxed in, unable to see the signs, because of all the trucks. I hate it more when it's wet or snowing.
Truck-wise, the worst bit of the 401 is just east of Kingston, particularly late at night. I'm sure you know the area; solid rock at the side and nowhere to escape to if you're overtaking a convoy of five exhausted truck drivers.:scared:

The only time we were ever glad of a truck was about four Winters ago. A huge snowstorm kicked in on the 401 just east of TO. Visibility was almost zero. Souvette tucked in behind a 52-footer and followed its tail lights. It's probably best not to think about what would have happened if he'd hit the brakes hard.
Souvenir is offline  
Old Jan 12th 2007, 2:04 pm
  #32  
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 39,879
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats Driving Like over there

Originally Posted by Souvenir View Post
Truck-wise, the worst bit of the 401 is just east of Kingston, particularly late at night. I'm sure you know the area; solid rock at the side and nowhere to escape to if you're overtaking a convoy of five exhausted truck drivers.:scared:
I do know that bit and yes, it's bad. However, the bit from Detroit to London or thereabouts has severe crosswinds and blowing snow and is exceptionally badly constructed (the "shoulder" is graded so that vehicles using it tend to roll), lots of people die there. It could be the worst.

The bit from the airport to Guelph is also hellish because of the volume of trucks, if you get in the middle lane it's quite possible not to be able to take your exit ramp because there are trucks nose to tail going at 65mph in the right lane.

Then again, at 6:30 each weekend morning I cross from the express lanes to take the 400, that's eight lanes right on very short ramps, there's not enough room to blend, so it's a matter of turning and hoping no one is coming.

If only the Canadians (or I suppose the Italians) would invent camber and drainage it'd be a lot safer.
dbd33 is offline  
Old Jan 12th 2007, 2:09 pm
  #33  
BE Forum Addict
 
daft batty's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 4,234
daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats Driving Like over there

Originally Posted by dbd33 View Post
I routinely do all of the above. One needs to do something to pass the time.
see, you have become canadian after all
daft batty is offline  
Old Jan 12th 2007, 2:09 pm
  #34  
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 39,879
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats Driving Like over there

Originally Posted by batty-x-ray View Post
see, you have become canadian after all

Shot!
dbd33 is offline  
Old Jan 12th 2007, 2:13 pm
  #35  
Moderαtor Emeritus
 
iaink's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Upstate South Carolina
Posts: 30,768
iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats Driving Like over there

Originally Posted by Canada Jane View Post
annoyingly as the break release under the steering wheel area. Why is cannot be somewhere more convenient I don't know.
Its in that spot because most people in north america seldom if ever use the parking/"emergency" brake, so why clutter up a usefull area that could hold yet another cup holder. Probably to do with the preference for Auto transmissions. The foot release ones are the ones that scare me....looks just like a clutch pedal sometimes!

In canada you either have to use it all the time or not at all, or else risk is seizing up on you in the winter.
iaink is offline  
Old Jan 12th 2007, 2:14 pm
  #36  
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 9,606
Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Whats Driving Like over there

Originally Posted by dbd33 View Post
I do know that bit and yes, it's bad. However, the bit from Detroit to London or thereabouts has severe crosswinds and blowing snow and is exceptionally badly constructed (the "shoulder" is graded so that vehicles using it tend to roll), lots of people die there. It could be the worst.

The bit from the airport to Guelph is also hellish because of the volume of trucks, if you get in the middle lane it's quite possible not to be able to take your exit ramp because there are trucks nose to tail going at 65mph in the right lane.

Then again, at 6:30 each weekend morning I cross from the express lanes to take the 400, that's eight lanes right on very short ramps, there's not enough room to blend, so it's a matter of turning and hoping no one is coming.

If only the Canadians (or I suppose the Italians) would invent camber and drainage it'd be a lot safer.
Why is it that people drive much faster on the busy bits of the 401 than they do on the empty bits? Is it because they are desperate to get the hell out of there or because there is little chance of the OPP being able to pull them over?
Souvenir is offline  
Old Jan 12th 2007, 2:20 pm
  #37  
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 39,879
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats Driving Like over there

Originally Posted by Souvenir View Post
Why is it that people drive much faster on the busy bits of the 401 than they do on the empty bits? Is it because they are desperate to get the hell out of there or because there is little chance of the OPP being able to pull them over?
Do you think that's true? I stick the cruise on 80 whenever I'm on a highway and think I'm going about the average pace. The exception is the Gardiner from the Skydome to the Beach turn off, traffic there is either stopped or going much faster. I think it goes faster because of the buildings being close in. If you can get up to 100 it feels just like being in a video game; with the top down and the music blasting kids and dogs (and male menopausal men) love it.
dbd33 is offline  
Old Jan 12th 2007, 2:30 pm
  #38  
Moderαtor Emeritus
 
iaink's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Upstate South Carolina
Posts: 30,768
iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats Driving Like over there

Originally Posted by dbd33 View Post
Do you think that's true? I stick the cruise on 80 whenever I'm on a highway and think I'm going about the average pace.
God, no wonder it takes you so long to get around toronto!
iaink is offline  
Old Jan 12th 2007, 2:32 pm
  #39  
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 39,879
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats Driving Like over there

Originally Posted by iaink View Post
God, no wonder it takes you so long to get around toronto!

As you well know, 80mph is quite a lot of those French thingies.
dbd33 is offline  
Old Jan 12th 2007, 2:33 pm
  #40  
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 9,606
Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Whats Driving Like over there

Originally Posted by dbd33 View Post
Do you think that's true? I stick the cruise on 80 whenever I'm on a highway and think I'm going about the average pace. The exception is the Gardiner from the Skydome to the Beach turn off, traffic there is either stopped or going much faster. I think it goes faster because of the buildings being close in. If you can get up to 100 it feels just like being in a video game; with the top down and the music blasting kids and dogs (and male menopausal men) love it.
I think it is. Being a passenger, I amuse myself by observing what is going on around me. On long trips that means trying to spot un-marked cruisers (yes, I'm that sad). I have noticed that my missus and, by extrapolation, the drivers around her, speed up when they are in or near towns/cities.

If you want video-gaming driving, you have to try the Decarie in Mtl.
Souvenir is offline  
Old Jan 12th 2007, 2:45 pm
  #41  
Moderαtor Emeritus
 
iaink's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Upstate South Carolina
Posts: 30,768
iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats Driving Like over there

Originally Posted by dbd33 View Post
As you well know, 80mph is quite a lot of those French thingies.
Ah,sorry, stupid me, I forgot who was posting for a sec
iaink is offline  
Old Jan 12th 2007, 6:45 pm
  #42  
Banned
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: In Limbo
Posts: 15,706
Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats Driving Like over there

Originally Posted by Steve_P View Post
Most Canadian drivers cannot think any further ahead than the windshield of their vehicles.
No most dont think further ahead than the timmies coffee in their right hand and the cellphone\donut in their left.
Butch Cassidy is offline  
Old Jan 12th 2007, 7:56 pm
  #43  
BE Enthusiast
 
Snave's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 404
Snave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Whats Driving Like over there

I think everyone has seen more aggresive driving in Canada than in the UK. I know I've bored you all about motorbikes before - but I'm more aware of being mortal here than I ever was in Wales. The one difference I will admit is that bikers seem to be more courtious to other bikers in Canada - but take a smiling, waving Canadian biker off his Harley and put him into a Ford Explorer and I'm sure he'll metamorph into an finger waving, horn beeping, headlight flashing monster. I am really scared about driving over here, the weather (especially today) does not help. As ON is so flat where I live and commute the sun can be so low it is aloways in my eyes or mirror or reflecting off mirrored buildings. Add that to idiots that drive on full beam all the time, day or night...
I've seen people refusing to allow someone to merge from the right, or refusing to allow someone in the (left) fast lane pull in front so that they can exit on the next off-ramp.
Mrs Snave had someone tailgating so close we could not see the bumper or license plate. They used this tactic to get her out of the way as the headlights are right in the cabin of our Focus.
I disagree with turning right on red. If you are at pole-position, at red - what do you look at? The traffic coming from your left, waiting for a gap? Or straight ahead at the red light which goes straight to green without a red-amber stage? If you hesitate for a second because you mmissed a gap or it had gone green you get beeped. We have a manual so the Focus doesn't leap forward the instant it's released - and this scenario is worse on the bike with less visibility in a helmet.
It seems that no-one has pride in driving in Canada.
I love Canada. but if there is one thing I'd gripe about it would be driving standards.
Snave is offline  
Old Jan 12th 2007, 9:15 pm
  #44  
Your goto Realtor
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Brampton
Posts: 574
liquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Whats Driving Like over there

Thanks for all the comments. Very interesting to read about all your thought on driving out there. I noticed someone saying about beeing able to make right turnings whilst lights are red?????? Sounds a bit funny, is it a joke or is it true.
liquidsuite is offline  
Old Jan 12th 2007, 9:19 pm
  #45  
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 39,879
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats Driving Like over there

Originally Posted by liquidsuite View Post
Thanks for all the comments. Very interesting to read about all your thought on driving out there. I noticed someone saying about beeing able to make right turnings whilst lights are red?????? Sounds a bit funny, is it a joke or is it true.

It's true. You have to stop but you don't have to wait for the light.
dbd33 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.