Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What will you most miss about the UK

What will you most miss about the UK

Old Jan 31st 2007, 12:13 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What will you most miss about the UK

Originally Posted by Dive06
Full of commercials . I guess maybe over time I will get used to it, but it would be a godsend if it was achievable over here. The sports side of it is good, if you get into your Hockey etc, but its not football
Guess I should get all canadian and stop moaning about it.
Try Fox Sport - covers English and European footie matches - also on the very odd occasion a Scottish match1
Old Jan 31st 2007, 12:15 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve666
This is what I'll miss....I'm at Heathrow airport on a pay internet console and I'm on my way to the sunny Canary Islands, 25 degrees F. Apparently it says here. See ya all when I get back in a weeks time. Unless I get a chance to get on here when I'm out there, which I'll try to do. Don't need a snow blower there though Although I could use one for the sand I guess.
Have a great holiday and behave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 31st 2007, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbound
Ill miss my beautiful spaniel ,now far to old to join us in our new life but at least shes spending her time with my son who i know will spoil her even moe than i do
ow sorry you have to leave her behind
Old Jan 31st 2007, 12:17 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dollface
Quite a few country/British style pubs where I am in Ottawa and surrounding area
Where? The only place I've come across that is remotely passable is in Old Chelsea.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Where? The only place I've come across that is remotely passable is in Old Chelsea.
The Swan on the Rideau, Ashton country pub, if your hankering for the best Fish and Chips there is the Glen Scottish pub whats the one in Chelsea???
Old Jan 31st 2007, 12:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Quite a few country/British style pubs where I am in Ottawa and surrounding area
but with proper beer? I didn't find one in my year up there.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 12:41 pm

The Swan on the Rideau, Ashton country pub, if your hankering for the best Fish and Chips there is the Glen Scottish pub whats the one in Chelsea???
Those places are all miles from me.

The one in Old Chelsea is called, wait for it, Chelsea's. It's about ten minutes north of Hull, next to the entrance to Gatineau Park. The food is nothing special but I like the feel of the place.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
but with proper beer? I didn't find one in my year up there.
What do you call proper beer? there's the usual suspects, Guiness, Kilkenny, also McEwans, tennants, Boddingtons, all the European stuff - i'm not really a beer drinker but my OH would know.......the LCBO sells alot of British ales too!
Old Jan 31st 2007, 12:51 pm

Those places are all miles from me.

The one in Old Chelsea is called, wait for it, Chelsea's. It's about ten minutes north of Hull, next to the entrance to Gatineau Park. The food is nothing special but I like the feel of the place.
true being in Gatineau they are a bit far...........must give Chelsea's a go.....what brought you to the dark side???(Quebec!)
Old Jan 31st 2007, 1:03 pm

What do you call proper beer? there's the usual suspects, Guiness, Kilkenny, also McEwans, tennants, Boddingtons, all the European stuff - i'm not really a beer drinker but my OH would know.......the LCBO sells alot of British ales too!
He means hand-pulled draught bitter served at the temperature nature intended; not stuff that has been gassed to death and then frozen, just to make sure.

The Elephant and Castle in the Rideau Centre sells imported Fuller's London pride, which it serves by hand pump but so cold as to render it tasteless.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 1:08 pm

true being in Gatineau they are a bit far...........must give Chelsea's a go.....what brought you to the dark side???(Quebec!)
Lower property prices, heavily subsidised private schooling and a domineering francophone missus. Being able to buy beer at the gas station was a bonus though.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 1:09 pm

He means hand-pulled draught bitter served at the temperature nature intended; not stuff that has been gassed to death and then frozen, just to make sure.

The Elephant and Castle in the Rideau Centre sells imported Fuller's London pride, which it serves by hand pump but so cold as to render it tasteless.
ow - not sure about all that, sorry.........
Old Jan 31st 2007, 1:19 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Cask conditioned beer from a hand pump. Draught beer cannot, by definition, be fetched from the LCBO.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Cask conditioned beer from a hand pump. Draught beer cannot, by definition, be fetched from the LCBO.
Recent awards for winter bitter from CAMRA real ale society:

Champion Winter Beer of Britain 2007

SUPREME CHAMPION

Gold - Green Jack, Ripper (Lowestoft, Suffolk, contact Tim Dunford 07913 053540)
Silver - Fuller's London Porter (Chiswick, London, Tel 020 89962000)
Bronze - Orkney, Skullsplitter (Stromness, Orkney, Tel 01856 841802)

CATEGORY WINNERS

Old Ales & Strong Mild Category

Gold - B&T: Black Dragon Mild (Bedfordshire)
Silver - Orkney: Dark Island (Orkney)
Bronze - Rudgate: Ruby Mild (North Yorkshire)

Stouts & Porters

Gold - Fuller's: London Porter (London)
Silver - Cairngorm: Black Gold (Aviemore, Highlands)
Bronze - St Peter's: Old Style Porter (Suffolk)

Barley Wines

Gold - Orkney, Skullsplitter (Orkney)
Silver - Green Jack, Ripper (Lowestoft, Suffolk)
Bronze - Durham: Benedictus (Co Durham)
Old Jan 31st 2007, 1:33 pm

Back to flights, I see that BA are reportedly slashing fares to win back customers after the strike threat. I just went shopping for a Montreal-London flight at the end of May. Sure enough, C$418 return.

Plus, of course, C$288 in sundry taxes etc.

That comes to more than AC quoted two weeks ago for OTT-London.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.