Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What will you most miss about the UK

What will you most miss about the UK

Old Jan 30th 2007, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What will you most miss about the UK

Originally Posted by iaink
Its OK.... then you had better learn to substitute with something else, like hockey for example.
Hockey? What's that?
Old Jan 30th 2007, 4:12 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve666
Hockey? What's that?
Its a religion.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Its a religion.
AAh, well I'm an athiest, that's why I haven't heard of it, you'll say next you play it on ice hahahahahahaha!!!
Old Jan 30th 2007, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm going to have a snow blower with this spec:

454 cubic inch Chevrolet big block engine. With...
Moroso Air scoop w/functional butterfly valves.
Holley Street Avenger 4160 with electric choke and chrome dual feed lines w/gauge.
Edelbrock Polished Air gap intake manifold.
Moroso Electric water pump
Upswept exhaust headers w/pipe wrap.
Dual exhaust stacks w/internal baffles, shields and turn outs.
High performance ignition system
Custom aluminum rear mounted 4 core radiator w/expansion tank.
Thermostatically controlled dual electric cooling fans.
88 amp one wire alternator.
Gear reduction starter motor.
Engine block heater.
Chrome dress up package including oil pan, timing cover assembly, rocker covers, distributor hold down.
Aero quip hoses with clear anodized fittings.
Two stage 42 inch wide auger assembly complete with electric clutch.
Hydraulic directional chute adjustment.
Shear pin protection.
Custom stainless steel under carriage and main frame.
Custom hydraulic pump with pressure compensated flow diverter valve.
Adjustable dash mounted flow control for drive wheel speeds.
Dual bearing mounted walking beams ensure smooth operation complete with hydraulic slave cylinders for ‘lock’ or ‘float’ modes of operation.
Custom hydraulic oil tank with 10 micron filtration.
Custom fuel tank.
Optima spiral wound battery.
Dual hydraulic motors coupled to four drive wheels offer zero turning radius.
Custom tire groove pattern applied to large heavy duty phenolic tires.
Custom dashboard assembly with cup holder.
Full instrumentation with illuminated marine quality gauges includes engine
Marine quality weather tight switches.
Dual blue strobe lights in sealed enclosure.
Dual 100 watt flood type yard lights. (To annoy the neighbours)
Weather tight electrical connectors with fuse panel.
Custom handle bars heated with engine coolant.
Custom spring return to center hydraulic directional control valves.
Custom dash mounted throttle control with ‘Hurst’ shifter.

Then I'm going to take it to the farthest point north and live the rest of my life out BLOWIN' SNOW!!! muth%^f%^*£s....
Old Jan 30th 2007, 4:25 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Jeeeeeez....................you've got too much time on your hands me thinks !!!!!
Old Jan 30th 2007, 4:27 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to have a snow blower with this spec:

Then I'm going to take it to the farthest point north and live the rest of my life out BLOWIN' SNOW!!! muth%^f%^*£s....
Be sure to let us know what it costs eh!
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
That's a big advantage of the UK compared to Toronto and much more so compared to anywhere remote in Canada. Why's it funny?
If you fly Ryan Air or Easy Jet, then yes. But there are LCC airlines out there. And as for long haul flights, AC and US carriers are generally much cheaper going from North America to Europe.

There is a new premium airline starting to fly from NYC - Orly. All business class. Book it in Europe and a return starts at euro 1000. Book it in US and the return is $999 which is euro 770. A difference of 230 euros in price for the same ticket.

Ths also goes for economy tickets on long haul flights. LAX- LHR - LAX you can get for 400 - 500 USD all included. Go LHR - LAX - LHR on same airline and the equivalent is twice that in dollars.

AC pretty much does the same.

As for trains, unless you book at least a week in advance you might be able to get a return fair between Cheltenham and London for £40.

A same day super saver off peak return Bath - London is roughly £40. If you find out you need to be in london next day early morning you will be set back near enough £90 for a return and that is not first class.

As much as UK is cheaper than most european countries on flights, I think that when it comes to trains the cost here is way off the scale.

I don't know about train costs in Canada and US but it certainly ain't cheap here in UK.
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Jaycee wears a City shirt.
Are you implying that Jaycee has all those less than desirable attributes there Butch
Old Jan 30th 2007, 4:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YYZlover
If you fly Ryan Air or Easy Jet, then yes. But there are LCC airlines out there. And as for long haul flights, AC and US carriers are generally much cheaper going from North America to Europe.

There is a new premium airline starting to fly from NYC - Orly. All business class. Book it in Europe and a return starts at euro 1000. Book it in US and the return is $999 which is euro 770. A difference of 230 euros in price for the same ticket.

Ths also goes for economy tickets on long haul flights. LAX- LHR - LAX you can get for 400 - 500 USD all included. Go LHR - LAX - LHR on same airline and the equivalent is twice that in dollars.

AC pretty much does the same.

As for trains, unless you book at least a week in advance you might be able to get a return fair between Cheltenham and London for £40.

A same day super saver off peak return Bath - London is roughly £40. If you find out you need to be in london next day early morning you will be set back near enough £90 for a return and that is not first class.

As much as UK is cheaper than most european countries on flights, I think that when it comes to trains the cost here is way off the scale.

I don't know about train costs in Canada and US but it certainly ain't cheap here in UK.

I did mean Ryan Air or Easy Jet.

Your examples are unfair because they start in the US. Yes the US has some cheap airfares, Jet Blue, for example, offers comparable prices to Ryan Air, but if you're in Canada you have to get to the US to take them; add in the fare from, say, Winnipeg to NYC and your transatlantic fare is unaffordable.

There really aren't any passenger trains to speak of in Canada; it's not a usable method of transit for people, just freight.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 5:44 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R2D2
Are you implying that Jaycee has all those less than desirable attributes there Butch
I'm not sure but she is a curry addict.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 5:48 pm
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
I'm not sure but she is a curry addict.
Clearly miss: Lions Midget Gems...

But since Cadbury's have exchanged the licorice one for blackcurrant... I'd miss them in the UK too.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

jonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Perry Groves
Indian Curry

Thai Curry

West Indian Curry

Football banter

English seaside
My Canadian wife has learned to make a decent curry using imported products found in the local Brit shop.

I get plenty of footie banter at work - got an Italian, another transplanted Brit (Liverpool fan but you can't have everything), a Man Utd crazy Canadian manager all firing off emails during the day. We even have an FA Cup tournament going (I'll spare you the points system).

English seaside - well I sort of know where you're coming from. The beach at Barrie is nice but not the same. Mind you, Wasaga Beach is lovely and the traffic in the summer is just like a Brit bank holiday on Bournemouth roads!

And I'm a Gooner too

You'll be fine, bud.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 6:43 pm
Super Moto's are a blast

Slinger is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll miss a night in the boozer with my mates, the humour & the banter that goes with it, finished off with a good 'ol curry
Old Jan 30th 2007, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Arris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond repute

Of course family & friends - but with web cams etc. it'll help.

The Cotswolds - green fields & hills, pretty thatched cottages & really old country pubs (100's of years old) with low beams you bash your head on, that have big roaring fires in the winter.

& curry

Forgot to add Waitrose & M&S food

Last edited by Arris; Jan 30th 2007 at 9:10 pm. Reason: additions
Old Jan 30th 2007, 8:18 pm
Property Owner

welshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nice

AAh, well I'm an athiest, that's why I haven't heard of it, you'll say next you play it on ice hahahahahahaha!!!
All the best religions have people that walk on water

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.