Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What will you most miss about the UK

What will you most miss about the UK

Old Feb 26th 2007, 12:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What will you most miss about the UK

Originally Posted by Shazzy101
I have got a Saab convertible which i will have to sell...keep thinking it would great fun to drive around in Canada! Never mind we know some truck dealers so will maybe get a 4 X 4 instead ! I honestly wont miss much about the UK, (only my parents and sister) I definately wont miss being taxed to the hilt and the nanny state ! Cant wait to come to Canada, it is so exciting and a fresh start

Saab convertibles are common enough here, as are models from Volvo, VW, BMW, Ford (the Mustang), GM (Saab, Pontiac Solstice, some ugly thing with big knobs, the G8?), Audi, Chrysler (PT Cruiser), Mercedes, Mazda, Toyota and some other brand I should be able to remember but can't. It can be brisk in a convertible here though, on the weekend I found that I needed a hat.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 12:14 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
You can address some of these problems by subscribing to the the weekly version of a UK paper and to Sirius radio. I get the Guardian Weekly because it was the original sumarised paper and because I'm a bit of a pinko, but there's also a version of the Torygraph and, bafflingly, the Express. Sirius carries a couple of BBC stations (World Service and Radio 1) as well as lots of sports channels; you should be able to hear some match reports though perhaps they'll be in Spanish.
thanks for that, please excuse my ignorance, i'm a bit of a technophobe, would this radio station be DAB or on satellite? i'll show my a?"e now as they will probably be the same thing won't they and i can expect no mercy.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 12:16 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
thanks for that, please excuse my ignorance, i'm a bit of a technophobe, would this radio station be DAB or on satellite? i'll show my a?"e now as they will probably be the same thing won't they and i can expect no mercy.
Sirus is Satellite radio. (Need a receiver - cheap and a subscription not so cheap). DAB (Digital Audio Broadcasting) doesn't exisit AFAIK in Canada. (It's a terrestrial based system).
Old Feb 26th 2007, 12:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
I don't know what DAB is!

Sirius is a satellite provider. There are two, the other being XM, but they're in the process of merging. The deal is you pay a couple of hundred bucks for equipment and then $15/month and you get good radio; lots of stations of all types and very few adverts. Oh, and more Howard Stern than anyone needs.

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/Conten...=1018209032790
Old Feb 26th 2007, 12:19 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Sirus is Satellite radio. (Need a receiver - cheap and a subscription not so cheap). DAB (Digital Audio Broadcasting) doesn't exisit AFAIK in Canada. (It's a terrestrial based system).
so thats getting the radio through your tv sat receiver?, don't have sat tv here, or buying some huge thing similar to a ww2 movie submarine set and then buying a subsrciption, for a radio?, is this germany?
Old Feb 26th 2007, 12:20 pm
rae
Settled.

I don't know what DAB is!

Sirius is a satellite provider. There are two, the other being XM, but they're in the process of merging. The deal is you pay a couple of hundred bucks for equipment and then $15/month and you get good radio; lots of stations of all types and very few adverts. Oh, and more Howard Stern than anyone needs.

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/Conten...=1018209032790
great thanks, more bills.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 12:39 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by rae
great thanks, more bills.
I don't mind that one. I won't pay for the rubbish TV you can get in Canada but considering how bad free to air radio is here I think that's money well spent.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 1:12 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
so thats getting the radio through your tv sat receiver?, don't have sat tv here, or buying some huge thing similar to a ww2 movie submarine set and then buying a subsrciption, for a radio?, is this germany?
No it's a different thing. To get Sirius you buy a portable/car/plug in type receiver like this for example http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...gon=&langid=EN and then pay a monthly subscription to receive programming. You can also get music/radio through Satellite/Cable TV but I don't think it's very good.

For dbd33: DAB is Terrestrial Digitial broadcasting which is becoming increasingly prevalent in UK. It offers better clarity and is being used now for a bunch of 'digital' only stations such a BBC7 f'r example.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

You can address some of these problems by subscribing to the the weekly version of a UK paper and to Sirius radio. I get the Guardian Weekly because it was the original sumarised paper and because I'm a bit of a pinko, but there's also a version of the Torygraph and, bafflingly, the Express. Sirius carries a couple of BBC stations (World Service and Radio 1) as well as lots of sports channels; you should be able to hear some match reports though perhaps they'll be in Spanish.
There's always BBC Listen Live at

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/mainf...x.shtml?button