Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What Makes People emmigrate

What Makes People emmigrate

Old May 23rd 2007, 3:54 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Makes People emmigrate

Originally Posted by jempee
exactly what i was thinking. I have a view of mount baker from my window and look down on the valley. In England i saw brick houses and a busy road! Guess which i prefer
Err - the terraced brick houses, flat caps and diesel fumes.

We now back into a 'Wildlife corridor' (essentially a nice piece of land that the builder thought too expensive/boggy/couldn't be arsed to plonk crap houses on).

I read that if you want a new house backing onto one of these you pay the privilege of $8000. A nice way for the money grabbing scum to recoup their losses yet look 'Environmentally conscious' at the same time.
Old May 23rd 2007, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

Canuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really nice

Originally Posted by jempee
exactly what i was thinking. I have a view of mount baker from my window and look down on the valley. In England i saw brick houses and a busy road! Guess which i prefer
I'd rather Vancouver than Alberta right now especially after watching the news last night re the expanse they're digging up to suck all that oil out, the next phase will cover an area the size of England, a rise in cancer is being witnessed in certain surreounding locations and the fish are dying in their tons...the poor souls
Old May 23rd 2007, 4:05 pm
I'll have a double double

dozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dingbat
Canadian on a WP in the UK who hates the UK and women. Troll alert I think.
Canadian Citizen /Uk Citizen

cheers
Old May 23rd 2007, 4:07 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Overcrowding. This country is so overcrowded.

It took me about 15 mins to get off the platform at Waterloo this morning thanks to 5 billion passengers. Not to mention then working my way through the wall of people in the station itself.
Old May 23rd 2007, 4:19 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Overcrowding. This country is so overcrowded.

It took me about 15 mins to get off the platform at Waterloo this morning thanks to 5 billion passengers. Not to mention then working my way through the wall of people in the station itself.

I'd agree with that certainly. But a question - a genuine, not wanting to score points, question - Isn't Vancouver overcrowded too? Isn't there a similar experience in cramming onto overloaded mass transit to be had? Certainly is in Toronto and I'd imagine Calgary. So, perhaps the wanting to leave overcrowding means emmigrating to smaller urban area in Canada.
Old May 23rd 2007, 4:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I'd agree with that certainly. But a question - a genuine, not wanting to score points, question - Isn't Vancouver overcrowded too? Isn't there a similar experience in cramming onto overloaded mass transit to be had? Certainly is in Toronto and I'd imagine Calgary. So, perhaps the wanting to leave overcrowding means emmigrating to smaller urban area in Canada.

Isn't that more difficult in Canada than in the UK though? The population of Canada is smaller than that of the UK but so is the inhabited area. The population density in the Quebec-Windsor corridor is such as to make Canada one of the world's most urbanised countries.
Old May 23rd 2007, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

karla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant future

For me it was the lifestyle, as the thought of my children growing up in the UK scares the hell out of me.
Old May 23rd 2007, 5:02 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir

The "great scenery" thing is overblown. I wrote on another thread about this. Most Canadians live nowhere near the great scenery and are unlikely to ever visit it. Most people in the UK are within range of great scenery (if not mountains).
We deliberately chose our location for the scenery and having our favourite leisure activities on the doorstep.

The UK is horribly expensive, particularly when it comes property.
We do not currently have, and are unlikely to get in the near future, a bigger place than we had in the UK. In fact, we'll be lucky to be able to purchase in Vancouver at all. Our income was higher in the UK and career potential probably greater. That was a cost of our choice of location.

Despite these and other physical factors, the thing that really strikes me, the one that makes me happiest to come back to Canada, is the way most people treat each other. Polite, considerate and friendly. That appeals to my mentality and I really don't feel it when I go to the UK.
Definitely our number one reason for choosing Canada in the first place all those years ago.
Old May 23rd 2007, 7:38 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canuck Fan
I lived & worked there for a year until 2006 & returned numerous times since due to my partner being canadian.

When I say PC, I mean Canadians don't seem to worry quite so much as we do about speaking out about what they believe in, particularly when it comes to be patriotic. When we're told to take down the flag of king George then things have gone way too far. A true Canadian would not stand for this, they are passionate about their country.
You have got to be joking. Canadians do nothing about anything, they accept bureaucratic interference and utter incompetence as the norm and allow discrimination and disregard of personal rights without so much as a squeak. In any society, vocal minority groups make waves and level accusations because they can and in many cases should. It is absolutely no different in Canada. "PC" is just as prevalent in the offices and schools to the point that freedom of speech is completely suppressed if they don't like what you have to say.
Old May 23rd 2007, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

karla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bazzz
Because England's shit.
Thats what my husband would have put!!!
Old May 23rd 2007, 8:47 pm

dozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by karla03
For me it was the lifestyle, as the thought of my children growing up in the UK scares the hell out of me.
Great post Karla, I feel the same, is it me or has this teenager killings just gone nuts in the last couple of months - Did any see what happened to those kids in Kings Lynn. Some people say that Canada is laid back in some respects, but too me that's a great trait.

Waaayyyy too much violence here....people are soooo angry.

Rgds

John
Old May 23rd 2007, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by loafy
MMMM, sounds like i might just get some peace and quiet then.
Well for me all reasons for not staying have to be the lack of respect their is now days and the fact that most of the younger generation are a load of free loading hoodie wearing uninteresting T--ts who think we owe them something for there being there, thou not all hoodie wearers are in that group some actually do some sort of sport and not just cruising in there pimped up vauxhall corsa's and the like.
Never mind eh.
LOAFY...
A lot of people feel like that, I read someone a while back, that this generation will be tagged "I don't Care Generation", apparently Generation X is to blame, which I am one.

Rgds

John
Old May 23rd 2007, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dozy_muppet03
LOL, that was unintentional.....lol, I should probably define a little more my three though....when we say a better quality of life what does that really mean, for me I think I know...another example, or one of mine was what the UK has become, a bit of that would be the escalating violence, yob culture I noticed that people seem to be angrier...on top of the rising cost of living, just gas and electricity, I'm paying just under a £100 a month just for my electric. I actually had went through a purge of my direct debits and got rid of the non essentials...my sky was 50 Pounds a month...

Regards

John
Blimey what are you running, 100 hydroponics?!
Old May 23rd 2007, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B
All this talk of stabbings, yob culture, and immigrants flooding in I honestly do not see and I work in W.London!
I have noticed the spike in these acts of violence, not just London but all over the place.

rgds

John
Old May 23rd 2007, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by seasprite
Blimey what are you running, 100 hydroponics?!
I do have a few computers and a server for my work, but that's about it...I did ask powergen to come in and test our metre as I have always felt it was expensive....but they where the ones that suggested to put my direct debit up to 95 a month...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.