Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What Makes People emmigrate

What Makes People emmigrate

Old May 23rd 2007, 2:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Makes People emmigrate

Originally Posted by Canuck Fan
I don't know who you are or what you are, and to be honest I don't know why you're even in Canada as you appear to slate the country so much.

It's rather extreme emigrating for cheap housing, you could of moved to the outer hebridies for that.
There aren't any jobs in the Outer Hebridies. I met someone from there just this past weekend, he lamented moving from somewhere so beautiful with so many World Heritage sites but you gotta eat.

True Canadian? Well obviously you're not.
Of course not. I'm from London.
Old May 23rd 2007, 2:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

...and for people like dbd33....there's no pleasing.
Oh come on, I love America. I like sex. Curry delights my taste buds.
Old May 23rd 2007, 2:16 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

IIt's rather extreme emigrating for cheap housing, you could of moved to the outer hebridies for that.
Funnily enough the Outer Hebrides is one place that Mrs AX and I idly considered moving too before emmigrating to Canada. Something to do with Mrs AX stepping off the plane in Stornoway and exclaiming 'It's exactly like Newfoundland!'. It's not of course, the Hebrides has more white sandy beaches. Should you ever go there I can recommend this place as an absolutely extraordinarily wonderful place to stay http://www.bailenacille.com/.

What drove me to emmigrate? Well much like Souv, the Mrs wanting to return home. Plus the usual space/scenery/slower pace of life/safer/less chance of being an Al Quaeda casualty/endless fiddle music etc etc. And the house prices of course. I think anyone from England who isn't fortunate enough to own a huge pile is being less than honest about emmigrating if they don't admit to being able to buy a bigger house as a very important part of the reasons for emmigrating. If I were living in a 14ft wide terraced house here I'd be seriously questioning what the **** I'd done moving here.

AX
Old May 23rd 2007, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

loafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Souvenir
For the very young, it's probably ideal.

For the young (20-30), yes it's probably dull.

For the middle aged, it's great.

For the old, there's Florida.
I should fit in well being in the middle aged group.. It's great to be young eh

LOAFY...
Old May 23rd 2007, 2:21 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Funnily enough the Outer Hebrides is one place that Mrs AX and I idly considered moving too before emmigrating to Canada.
Listening to the fellow on the weekend made me think of all the posters who are considering Atlantic Canada as a destination. I dunno, you can't eat scenery, as Iaink would say.
Old May 23rd 2007, 2:23 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Listening to the fellow on the weekend made me think of all the posters who are considering Atlantic Canada as a destination. I dunno, you can't eat scenery, as Iaink would say.
To true & if I wanted the more glittering career/better pay I might need to move to the GTA. But if I were going to do that I might as well move back to the UK and live in Slough. At least there would be access to better beer in Slough.
Old May 23rd 2007, 2:25 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Tell that to the rabbits around here. They seem to have no problem eating my trees, shrubs and assorted plants.
Old May 23rd 2007, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

Canuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really nice

Funnily enough the Outer Hebrides is one place that Mrs AX and I idly considered moving too before emmigrating to Canada. Something to do with Mrs AX stepping off the plane in Stornoway and exclaiming 'It's exactly like Newfoundland!'. It's not of course, the Hebrides has more white sandy beaches. Should you ever go there I can recommend this place as an absolutely extraordinarily wonderful place to stay http://www.bailenacille.com/.

What drove me to emmigrate? Well much like Souv, the Mrs wanting to return home. Plus the usual space/scenery/slower pace of life/safer/less chance of being an Al Quaeda casualty/endless fiddle music etc etc. And the house prices of course. I think anyone from England who isn't fortunate enough to own a huge pile is being less than honest about emmigrating if they don't admit to being able to buy a bigger house as a very important part of the reasons for emmigrating. If I were living in a 14ft wide terraced house here I'd be seriously questioning what the **** I'd done moving here.

AX
Well I live in a 2 bed terraced house & quite frankly i'd give it up to move to canada. Of course you have to do your research as to exactly where to relocate to and take the rough with the smoothe just like anywhere. Seriously though, I just don't think some people are happy wherever they live. Up-sizing and extra cash obviously hasn't made you content.
Old May 23rd 2007, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

Canuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really nice

To true & if I wanted the more glittering career/better pay I might need to move to the GTA. But if I were going to do that I might as well move back to the UK and live in Slough. At least there would be access to better beer in Slough.
I suggest you stay there unless you can speak polish
Old May 23rd 2007, 2:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Beer is certainly an issue. Last night I sat on my horse, in my field, watching the deer in the next field and I thought "it'd be alright, this, if they had pubs". Of course, in order to be able to ride to the pub you have to be in England and that means having serious money, just the horse would live in something costing as much as half of Scarborough. Cheap houses, it's at the root of most arguments for living here.
Old May 23rd 2007, 2:37 pm
Slightly Canadian

Well I live in a 2 bed terraced house & quite frankly i'd give it up to move to canada. Of course you have to do your research as to exactly where to relocate to and take the rough with the smoothe just like anywhere. Seriously though, I just don't think some people are happy wherever they live. Up-sizing and extra cash obviously hasn't made you content.
Ok, way to lump me in the negative camp eh?

I lived in a terraced house in the south east of England. Mrs AX (the Canadian) and I liked the house, location, easy walk to pubs, curry houses, river & shops etc. However we both felt that it would be less than ideal for bringing up kids in the future.

In Canada we have a modest by Canadian standards, but multiple times larger than my UK house, place on an acre. It was a big plus for moving here. I repeat, most moving from the UK to Canada with the benefit of rampant property inflation in the UK and strong pound is going to see the big house a very positive point in their move. Its not the be all and end all but it will be important to most.

I'm content (despite the inference you have incorrectly drawn from my post) with life here in Newfoundland in general. The bigger house is part of that. The more limited career opportunities and lower pay than mainland Canada are not. On balance we're ahead of the game. Be happy for us.
Old May 23rd 2007, 2:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I suggest you stay there unless you can speak polish
Certainly speaking Polish would be an asset in the GTA, I hear it spoken every day, but I don't think it's essential. Mandarin or Cantonese would be more useful.
Old May 23rd 2007, 2:38 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Education is something that worked for us here but it did because things in Ontario are so PC. Catholics have their own schools by way of compensation for past discrimination and francophones similarly have their own schools. If you're prepared to declare your child a Catholic francophone that child can be in a school with small classes and high academic standards and can play in sports leagues with kids from schools which have similar class sizes and standards but without the positive discrimination, all of which are fee paying.
Adjusting your religion can give your kids a jump here which, in the UK, only money can buy.
there was an interesting play recently on itv i think, where non catholic parents tried this and the dad ended up murdering a few people who got in his way! i'm not sure whether this is over the top nowadays, perhaps 'school rage' is the next big thing.

anyhow, i take your point. i can't be that dishonest i'm afraid, not even for something so important. fortunately we are able to move to a very nice area with schools, pupils and parents that are also very nice. smaller classes, more and better IT equipment, an actual library, instead of a shelf and a fully kitted out theatre used to stage school and other productions. at the moment the school she attends has the same hall and set up it had 30yrs ago when my wife attended.
Old May 23rd 2007, 2:39 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

I think I must be living in a different country to the rest of you. The scenery here is fabulous - I take in mountain views, beaches and ocean on my cycle to work and run in awesome upland forests during my lunch break. It's far from boring - there's no end of outdoors things to do and plenty of great places to eat and drink.

In London the scenery was some overgrown grass, iron railings and a couple of ugly 1970s semis. My commute was being rammed sardine-like into a frequently stifling tube carriage.

Housing doesn't seem to be much more affordable, mind.
Old May 23rd 2007, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly speaking Polish would be an asset in the GTA, I hear it spoken every day, but I don't think it's essential. Mandarin or Cantonese would be more useful.
Probably more useful in Slough too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.