Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What Makes People emmigrate

What Makes People emmigrate

Old May 23rd 2007, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Makes People emmigrate

Originally Posted by dozy_muppet03
I do have a few computers and a server for my work, but that's about it...I did ask powergen to come in and test our metre as I have always felt it was expensive....but they where the ones that suggested to put my direct debit up to 95 a month...
Hmm, sounds way too high. Mind you I am still trying to get back the 3 months worth of our house buyers usage from our old house. I am not holding my breath
Old May 23rd 2007, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

Just been to watch my kids at the local school track event. When I passed through the park I noticed a fenced off area with a big notice saying 'Graffitti clean up' and there was some poor old guy trying to get loads of the stuff off this concrete area. For a moment I had to pinch myself as I felt I was in an Inner city somewhere and not an affluent part of Vancouver.
Old May 24th 2007, 11:30 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dozy_muppet03
Great post Karla, I feel the same, is it me or has this teenager killings just gone nuts in the last couple of months - Did any see what happened to those kids in Kings Lynn. Some people say that Canada is laid back in some respects, but too me that's a great trait.

Waaayyyy too much violence here....people are soooo angry.
I drove a borrowed car this morning, no satellite radio so I listened to the news from Canada; it was all about a school shooting.
Old May 24th 2007, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

masiosare is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: What Makes People emmigrate

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Overcrowding. This country is so overcrowded.

It took me about 15 mins to get off the platform at Waterloo this morning thanks to 5 billion passengers. Not to mention then working my way through the wall of people in the station itself.
Londonuck

Bear in mind that Victoria station was closed because of overcrowding, there was a fire in London Bridge and a train stuck in Earl's court station due to repairs

It's unbelievable, I didn't know if laugh or cry, I was in the tube stopped for about 20 minutes!
Old May 24th 2007, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dbd33
I drove a borrowed car this morning, no satellite radio so I listened to the news from Canada; it was all about a school shooting.
I have a family friend being buried friday. killed by 4 kids in the UK.
Old May 24th 2007, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

Canuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really nice

Originally Posted by jempee
I have a family friend being buried friday. killed by 4 kids in the UK.
Oh my, that's very sad to hear. Since returning from Vancouver i've said to many people that I felt safer there than in this country (and I live in good 'ol Ampshire!).
Old May 24th 2007, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

Canuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really nice

I couldn't believe it this morning when I heard on the news that those under 18 yr old thugs were free to go without prosecution having killed that businessman on the streets of Henley-on Thames, seriously shocking. That just about sums this country up.
Old May 24th 2007, 3:02 pm
MadMacGregor

Originally Posted by Canuck Fan
I couldn't believe it this morning when I heard on the news that those under 18 yr old thugs were free to go without prosecution having killed that businessman on the streets of Henley-on Thames, seriously shocking. That just about sums this country up.
As DB has just commented - the same things happen over here though I suspect that the Canadian media is more interested in reporting on Britney's fashion faux pas.

Old May 24th 2007, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

And properly exactly the same the 4 who killed our friend in UK will get.
Old May 24th 2007, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MadMacGregor
As DB has just commented - the same things happen over here though I suspect that the Canadian media is more interested in reporting on Britney's fashion faux pas.
I'm fully aware it happens in every city in every country of the world, I still say I feel safer in Vancouver (speaking from a females perspective).

We are experienceing a sudden increase in 'fashionable killings' in the UK which is disturbing in itself. I never heard of so many killings in 1 yr when I was in Van as I have here in 6 months.
Old May 24th 2007, 3:29 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm fully aware it happens in every city in every country of the world, I still say I feel safer in Vancouver (speaking from a females perspective).

We are experienceing a sudden increase in 'fashionable killings' in the UK which is disturbing in itself. I never heard of so many killings in 1 yr when I was in Van as I have here in 6 months.
When I was in the UK a few weeks ago I talked with my brother about asbos. That system came in after I emigrated so I'm not fully familiar with its workings. My understanding was that they were meant to be some sort of deterrent. It seems not. More of a fashion must-have.
Old May 24th 2007, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Souvenir
When I was in the UK a few weeks ago I talked with my brother about asbos. That system came in after I emigrated so I'm not fully familiar with its workings. My understanding was that they were meant to be some sort of deterrent. It seems not. More of a fashion must-have.
yep, the kids at the school i worked out thought they were great! They laughed about them. great deterrent.
Old May 24th 2007, 4:03 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
And it made huge news across the country - not exactly a regular occurance. I'm having my own mental tussle about staying here or going back to the UK, but I don't pounce on every negative in this country and hold it up as the norm. Speaking from my limited experience of annual visits back to the UK and keeping up with the news from there, I still say that I feel a damned sight safer here in the Vancouver area than back there. If I do go back to the UK to live, I'd like to be able to afford to live in a backwater somewhere quiet! My hometown (UK) newspaper last week carried stories of a dog that was tied up and set fire to; a cat that was stomped to death; an expectant mother stabbed in the abdomen; an elderly man punched for looking at a group of teens. That's just some. I think I'd rather wander down East Hastings at midnight!
Old May 24th 2007, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

The Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by startwin
And it made huge news across the country - not exactly a regular occurance. I'm having my own mental tussle about staying here or going back to the UK, but I don't pounce on every negative in this country and hold it up as the norm. Speaking from my limited experience of annual visits back to the UK and keeping up with the news from there, I still say that I feel a damned sight safer here in the Vancouver area than back there. If I do go back to the UK to live, I'd like to be able to afford to live in a backwater somewhere quiet! My hometown (UK) newspaper last week carried stories of a dog that was tied up and set fire to; a cat that was stomped to death; an expectant mother stabbed in the abdomen; an elderly man punched for looking at a group of teens. That's just some. I think I'd rather wander down East Hastings at midnight!
I feel a whole lot safer in my little worcestershire village than I did in Toronto. Certainly a whole lot less homeless people!! ITS ALL RELATIVE!!

Sadly the majority of stabbing victims are gang members in big cities. As I do not fit the profile I feel no need to be worried.

My teenage nieces a regulars in the clubs and bars of inner city Birmingham and laugh at my worries for their safety! Could it be a generational thing?
Old May 24th 2007, 4:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by startwin
And it made huge news across the country
Because it's on the back of the Virginia Tech shootings. Certain crimes become fashionable and, for a while, every instance is reported. In an ordinary week some kid gets killed in Toronto and it doesn't even make the local papers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.