Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What Makes People emmigrate

What Makes People emmigrate

Old May 24th 2007, 5:01 pm
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Makes People emmigrate

Originally Posted by startwin
And it made huge news across the country - not exactly a regular occurance. I'm having my own mental tussle about staying here or going back to the UK, but I don't pounce on every negative in this country and hold it up as the norm. Speaking from my limited experience of annual visits back to the UK and keeping up with the news from there, I still say that I feel a damned sight safer here in the Vancouver area than back there. If I do go back to the UK to live, I'd like to be able to afford to live in a backwater somewhere quiet! My hometown (UK) newspaper last week carried stories of a dog that was tied up and set fire to; a cat that was stomped to death; an expectant mother stabbed in the abdomen; an elderly man punched for looking at a group of teens. That's just some. I think I'd rather wander down East Hastings at midnight!
Are you from Bristol then startwin?
Old May 24th 2007, 7:44 pm
I'll have a double double

dozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to all

And it made huge news across the country - not exactly a regular occurance. I'm having my own mental tussle about staying here or going back to the UK, but I don't pounce on every negative in this country and hold it up as the norm. Speaking from my limited experience of annual visits back to the UK and keeping up with the news from there, I still say that I feel a damned sight safer here in the Vancouver area than back there. If I do go back to the UK to live, I'd like to be able to afford to live in a backwater somewhere quiet! My hometown (UK) newspaper last week carried stories of a dog that was tied up and set fire to; a cat that was stomped to death; an expectant mother stabbed in the abdomen; an elderly man punched for looking at a group of teens. That's just some. I think I'd rather wander down East Hastings at midnight!
Well, Norwich is no different guy. We have had several murders over the last couple of months, in fact today I beleive a women was punched and kicked while filling up her car at a gas station....

Go figure...

John
Old May 24th 2007, 7:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dozy_muppet03
I beleive a women was punched and kicked while filling up her car at a gas station....

Go figure...

John
No doubt it's terible to be punched or kicked at a petrol station but here there are bums all over the petrol station forecourts, they hobble between the pumps asking customers for money. I imagine that if you acknowedged them, you could quite easily get swarmed, kicked and punched.
Old May 24th 2007, 7:52 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bananahammock
Are you from Bristol then startwin?
In my dim and distant past, yes! Obviously you've been reading the Evening Post as well!
Old May 24th 2007, 9:01 pm
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

In my dim and distant past, yes! Obviously you've been reading the Evening Post as well!
Yer but no but ............. Brizzle born & bred...........gert lush
Old May 24th 2007, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
; it's like an uglier Switzerland.
Someone's found the right description after all these years!
Old May 25th 2007, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

Canuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really nice

I actually did go down towards E Hastings/Main 2 months ago (I was staying out towards Boundary) and was trying to get a bus home at 11pm. Ok I admit it was a bit stupid & I did get a few weirdo looks, but definately no more than I'd get in any large city here. I also lived in Bethnal Green (London) when I was at Uni mid 90's and felt no more safe there, I moved a year later to Wimbledon by the common, where I felt even less safe than anywhere i've ever lived.
Old May 25th 2007, 12:42 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neill
Someone's found the right description after all these years!
No, it's just that someone's quoted Peter Ustinov after all these years.
Old May 25th 2007, 2:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
More a refinement than a quote, innit, Ustinov thought Toronto dull but he didn't mention it being physically unattractive. Of course, in his day the air might have been breathable.
Old May 25th 2007, 9:05 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Well if you fill the kids with sugar, pop and addiictive chemicals, then cater to their every whim with out serious consquences for their behaviours what do you expect.

Loads of different diet changing shows and research has shown that giving kids healthier diets changes behaviour and reduces problems. Yet the goverment still allows the manufactures to produce the crap and hence eaten by the addicts so the cycle continues.
Old May 25th 2007, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
From what I remember Ustinov said that Toronto was New York run by the Swiss.

Just Google "Ustinov Toronto"
Old May 26th 2007, 1:57 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by flashman
From what I remember Ustinov said that Toronto was New York run by the Swiss.

Just Google "Ustinov Toronto"
That is what he said. He intended it as an insult, Toronto took it as a compliment.
Old May 26th 2007, 5:54 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grah
Well if you fill the kids with sugar, pop and addiictive chemicals, then cater to their every whim with out serious consquences for their behaviours what do you expect.

Loads of different diet changing shows and research has shown that giving kids healthier diets changes behaviour and reduces problems. Yet the goverment still allows the manufactures to produce the crap and hence eaten by the addicts so the cycle continues.
Yes, blame the government! It's not the fault of the parents, of course. They can't be expected to take responsibility for their children.
Old May 26th 2007, 7:34 am
I'll have a double double

dozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Grah

To a degree, maybe diet does play a role, probably more so in the punishment phase though once in front of a judge...It's become fashionable and with names like happy slappy, a mobile phone and websites like youtube along with stupid convictions and even silly fines, it's a recipe for disaster.

Of course good parenting skills, and a good relationship with you kids, I'm sure would in most cases would mean their kids do not have any part of this growing trend.

rgds,

John
Old May 26th 2007, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Liana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really nice

Not quite sure what's on this last page so back to thread topic

If the posters here have the negative comments about the reason they left or want to leave the UK what do their friends or relatives think? Are they too applying to come here now? Just a small minority of the population leave the UK and come to Canada- about an average of 5,000 per year out of a population of 60 million.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.