Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver 'mind-numbingly boring?

Vancouver 'mind-numbingly boring?

Old Jun 2nd 2015, 4:02 am
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver 'mind-numbingly boring?

If you find Vancouver boring then so must the rest of the world be boring. It is an exciting vibrant city. So full of live, so much to see and do.

If your bored then you are boring. simple
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

tee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themajor
It is an exciting vibrant city. So full of live, so much to see and do.
Have you been to Vancouver
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 6:02 am
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tee1
Have you been to Vancouver
YES!!! I loved it. I skied on Grose mountain, I sunbathed down on the beach, I travelled to the Vancouver Island, I went to the China Town, I explored the Rockies ....I could go on and on but if your bored your BOORRRRIIING!
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 6:33 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

If you find Vancouver boring then so must the rest of the world be boring. It is an exciting vibrant city. So full of live, so much to see and do.

Maybe you can define and operationalize the term, vibrant?
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 6:39 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

YES!!! I loved it. I skied on Grose mountain, I sunbathed down on the beach, I travelled to the Vancouver Island, I went to the China Town, I explored the Rockies ....I could go on and on but if your bored your BOORRRRIIING!
I'm not , in no way, in any way, ever boring . I can guarantee that. I am all sorts of a person but boring , I know , I am not.

But, I find my part of New Zealand bland and boring if I am honest. In fact, I find a lot of New Zealand very samey. Same conversations. Same topics. Same experiences. Same cyborg views. Same real time views for that matter . Same defence mechanisms . Same matras . Same insular

That doesn't mean it is boring for all and everyone . Each to their own and all that. Nor that I am a boring person. Just that the place is simply not enough of anything at all for me over a long period of time.

Enough for a holiday perhaps. Enough if you are wanting a retirement type of life. Enough if you want a long sojourn or an overseas experience . Enough if you came to a part of your family or pals. Enough if you wanted to run away because you were discontent or envious of others.

To live year on year ? I have come to the conclusion one big long yawn.

Before we left for NZ, a pal said to me I would be bored and was taking early retirement.

I distinctly remember thinking 'are you bonkers'? . Look at the place. She was right of course. Knew me better ,in that respect, than I knew myself.

I have tipped into eventual & inevitable ennui.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 6:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

No really true as I have found plenty of other city's not boring with plenty of affordable and fun things to do,

- San Diego

- Citys around Southern Ontario

- Phoenix

- Las Vegas

- Chicago

- San Francisco

- Sydney

- Various city's in Mexico and Caribbean

Vancouver is an outdoor lifestyle city, if your not into the outdoor and urban type lifrstyle there isn't much to do in my view.

For example I don't ski, snow board, hike, climb mountains, and so on.

If your into those things, super great place, if your not, the area is lacking in other options.

Visiting a city/region and living in one are 2 totally different things. Going to Vancouver Island and exploring it is on my list of things to do, but the ferry costs too much with a car and 2 passengers, so we don't go.

Rockies are too far and uses too much gas, gas is too pricey to go venture off on a road trip, now if gas were cheaper, we would certainly be doing some short road trips, we don't get much time off in a year, so we have to fit trip into our days off 3 days each week.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jun 2nd 2015 at 6:58 am.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

I just cannot believe what I am reading here. How can a vast City voted one the the very best in the WORLD be boring. I stick to my oppinion all those who say Vancouver is boring must ...yes must be booooooorrrrriiiiiiiinnnnggg.: zzz:

Wake up get a life, meet people, join activities or groups. Cricky whats wrong with the useles boring people: Yawn
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 11:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I just cannot believe what I am reading here. How can a vast City voted one the the very best in the WORLD be boring. I stick to my oppinion all those who say Vancouver is boring must ...yes must be booooooorrrrriiiiiiiinnnnggg.: zzz:

Wake up get a life, meet people, join activities or groups. Cricky whats wrong with the useles boring people: Yawn
Well survey's are subjective and really mean nothing when it comes to those best of survey's, and just because a city is voted most liveable doesn't mean it's also most exciting.

Vancouver has the name no fun city for a reason, it wasn't just given the nickname for fun.

It's a fine city if your interested in the outdoors and limited offerings the city offers, otherwise there is not much excitement or activities do for everyone.

Meeting people in Vancouver is another story, it's one of the hardest city's to meet people in, and this isn't just me saying so, Vancouver is well known for not being a good place to meet people.

Also depends where you come from originally, I came from So. California and that region offers just about everything you can imagine, including skiing with some quite exciting night-life, and plenty to do.

So probably one reason I find Vancouver and BC in general boring, other then outdoor stuff, not much else offered here.

Someone from a small podunk town in Manitoba, may find Vancouver the most exciting place they have ever seen.

Its all about perspectives, what you enjoy in life, what you have experienced and what a particular region offers you.

I am honest in the fact I dislike BC and only reason I stay is because my wife doesn't want to move due to her mothering being older and no other family in the area to help her, but long term even she wants to move.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Well survey's are subjective and really mean nothing when it comes to those best of survey's, and just because a city is voted most liveable doesn't mean it's also most exciting.

Vancouver has the name no fun city for a reason, it wasn't just given the nickname for fun.

It's a fine city if your interested in the outdoors and limited offerings the city offers, otherwise there is not much excitement or activities do for everyone.

Meeting people in Vancouver is another story, it's one of the hardest city's to meet people in, and this isn't just me saying so, Vancouver is well known for not being a good place to meet people.

Also depends where you come from originally, I came from So. California and that region offers just about everything you can imagine, including skiing with some quite exciting night-life, and plenty to do.

So probably one reason I find Vancouver and BC in general boring, other then outdoor stuff, not much else offered here.

Someone from a small podunk town in Manitoba, may find Vancouver the most exciting place they have ever seen.

Its all about perspectives, what you enjoy in life, what you have experienced and what a particular region offers you.

I am honest in the fact I dislike BC and only reason I stay is because my wife doesn't want to move due to her mothering being older and no other family in the area to help her, but long term even she wants to move.
Thanks for the input.

I wish you and yours all the very best.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 11:19 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Some truth in it depends what you're used to, and whether you like outdoors stuff. Vancouver is great if your interest in life is recreation. Anything else, not so much.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 1:32 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
No really true as I have found plenty of other city's not boring with plenty of affordable and fun things to do,

- San Diego

- Citys around Southern Ontario

- Phoenix

- Las Vegas

- Chicago

- San Francisco

- Sydney

- Various city's in Mexico and Caribbean

Vancouver is an outdoor lifestyle city, if your not into the outdoor and urban type lifrstyle there isn't much to do in my view.

For example I don't ski, snow board, hike, climb mountains, and so on.

If your into those things, super great place, if your not, the area is lacking in other options.

Visiting a city/region and living in one are 2 totally different things. Going to Vancouver Island and exploring it is on my list of things to do, but the ferry costs too much with a car and 2 passengers, so we don't go.

Rockies are too far and uses too much gas, gas is too pricey to go venture off on a road trip, now if gas were cheaper, we would certainly be doing some short road trips, we don't get much time off in a year, so we have to fit trip into our days off 3 days each week.
Sydney... Fun I agree, affordable - you must be joking!!! Most expensive place I've ever been too (more so then vancouver)!!!!

Gas prices are really not that bad here - go to the UK then you really will have a shock!
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 1:42 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Sydney... Fun I agree, affordable - you must be joking!!! Most expensive place I've ever been too (more so then vancouver)!!!!

Gas prices are really not that bad here - go to the UK then you really will have a shock!
I was only there 2 weeks, and the USD at the time was super strong against the AUD so everything was pretty cheap in the end, living there might be different, but like I said living in a place and visiting are 2 totally different things. Same when the USD is strong and American's come here and find things cheaper but we don't, but they are using USD which brings the price down where we are paid in local currency, so the same attraction will be more costly for us.

With the weak CAD trips to the US have even become too costly, losing 20% of your money right off the bat makes for a less then fun vacation.

Yes UK gas prices are higher, but I am not in the UK, I am in Canada being paid in CAD funds, so the prices here at 1.30 nearly per liter is too much to do recreational driving. Only driving we do is essential driving to keep the amount of money going to gas as low as possible.

I probably wouldn't drive in the UK at the prices there, my cut off point in Canada is 1.50, when it gets to that point and stays there, I am done with driving.

Personally I'd rather not have the car considering the payment + insurance + gas is 650 a month before any maintenance, but the wife doesn't want to move currently, and in this town you need to have a car since your trapped here without one since there is no transit to Whistler or Vancouver and local transit is poor at best.

Before I met my wife, I had dumped driving from 2008 to 2013 and never missed a car, but I was in Vancouver so transit was decent enough most of the day to not need a car.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jun 2nd 2015 at 1:46 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

KuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond repute

I think there's a huge difference in a city being boring to a visitor or to a resident.

Sure, Vancouver has hiking and winter sports, a small selection of museums/galleries, plus beachs & parks, etc... Which is great if you're here on vacation. But as somebody who lives here, you do them a couple times and then what? A city has to offer more than that to be considered a city that can keep people from all walks of life interested for more than 2 weeks. There are people that have lived here their whole life and haven't done a bunch of the tourist-y stuff, because it never interested them.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 4:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Please respect others points of view, and realise that just because they find the city that they live in (rather than have just holidayed in) boring, it doesn't mean they deserve your insults.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 4:32 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Please respect others points of view, and realise that just because they find the city that they live in (rather than have just holidayed in) boring, it doesn't mean they deserve your insults.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.