Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver 'mind-numbingly boring?

Vancouver 'mind-numbingly boring?

Old May 27th 2015, 5:10 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver 'mind-numbingly boring?

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
I agree with regards to work opportunities in Vancouver, there would be very little there for myself, thats why i chose Ontario, however i must say i did enjoy my visit there, its a lot smaller than Toronto, I think its the outdoor stuff that attracts me, but maybe that would wear thin after a while.

I do think the author of that article did try to push his point a little too far though, many people (except for Oink ) enjoy "nice" and "safe" as a place to live. Maybe the author should try one of the middle eastern hotbed locations if he enjoys living on the edge!
I don't find the place boring per se, it’s the people who live here that are the dullards but then that's indicative of Canada itself. That said, its a lot better being bored here than being bored while freezing or sweating your bollox off in the rest of the godforsaken place.
Old May 27th 2015, 7:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Everyone has their likes and dislikes, you have posted nothing as to why Vancouver is better, so other then being the usual prick, you have provided nothing of use.
Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
I need to ask if there is anything at all in your life that is good. I understand that you have a mental condition but constantly complaining about virtually everything in your life achieves very little, IMO.
I'd ask you both to re-read Site Rule 1 please. Either put each other on ignore, or take your squabbling to PM so the rest of us don't have to read it.
Old May 27th 2015, 7:52 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure a place can be boring. It is inanimate. The problem is the people, those who are there, or those who visit. Some like what a location has to offer, some don't. Because one guy whines about it is no reason not to go visit and find out for oneself. I don't like any city, so I avoid them. There are places I have enjoyed and gone back to, places I disliked and would not go back to.

Those who find any place boring or unlikable, perhaps go somewhere else. I moved from one city at it no longer suited me (too many people moved in) to somewhere with less people. The buggers seem to keep following me, so I may have to move again soon.

Vancouver and surrounds for me is anything but boring from 8000 feet. Awe inspiring scenery that that a bar, restaurant, theatre, museum, man made attraction could not even get close to.

Last edited by Aviator; May 27th 2015 at 7:56 pm.
Old May 27th 2015, 8:13 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I think you can term places boring. In Vancouver's case, I think perceptions of outsiders are sky high, because it does look stunning, and the city does have some innovation and industry. However, it lacks large corporate headquarters, and attracts those people more driven by lifestyle than career or ambition. It's also fairly isolated geographically, wedged between the Rockies and the Pacific, so feels insular. On the plus side, it's growing, and benefitting from Asian trade and investment. Another twenty years and it could well become world class.
Old May 27th 2015, 8:16 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I think you can term places boring. In Vancouver's case, I think perceptions of outsiders are sky high, because it does look stunning, and the city does have some innovation and industry. However, it lacks large corporate headquarters, and attracts those people more driven by lifestyle than career or ambition. It's also fairly isolated geographically, wedged between the Rockies and the Pacific, so feels insular. On the plus side, it's growing, and benefitting from Asian trade and investment. Another twenty years and it could well become world class.
Plus, it suffers from severe parochial and conservative north American attitudes, which doesn't help.
Old May 27th 2015, 8:18 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Plus, it suffers from severe parochial and conservative north American attitudes, which doesn't help.
Must be changing a bit though, considering the immigration?
Old May 27th 2015, 8:27 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

My Sinophobe friend in Vanvouver emailed me that he heard on the radio yesterday 75% of single family detached houses there have been purchased by Chinese speculators or by Chinese families already living there. I have a whole file stuffed full of links from him (The Economist mainly) in the same vein and I've told him time and again to move if he doesn't like it because he sure isn't going to change it.
Old May 27th 2015, 8:30 pm

Must be changing a bit though, considering the immigration?
Most of it is from India, China and south east Asia. None of which are noted for their socially progressive cultures.
Old May 27th 2015, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker
My Sinophobe friend in Vanvouver emailed me that he heard on the radio yesterday 75% of single family detached houses there have been purchased by Chinese speculators or by Chinese families already living there. I have a whole file stuffed full of links from him (The Economist mainly) in the same vein and I've told him time and again to move if he doesn't like it because he sure isn't going to change it.
As long as DFO strictly enforces the fishing regulations, limits and closures then fling open the immigrantion doors to everyone imo.
Old May 27th 2015, 9:03 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Oink
Most of it is from India, China and south east Asia. None of which are noted for their socially progressive cultures.
Ironically, that's the point: socially progressive cultures can be a bit boring !
Old May 27th 2015, 9:03 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by caretaker
Is he originally one of your Sask buddies?
Old May 27th 2015, 9:10 pm

Ironically, that's the point: socially progressive cultures can be a bit boring !
I think your definition and mine are very different.
Old May 27th 2015, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond repute

If you find Vancouver boring - don't live there, I mean seriously, what's the problem?
Belfast in the 70's/80's was pretty exciting - doesn't mean that I enjoyed living there.

Wasn't it Confucius that said "may you live in interesting times" and considered it an insult?

Just checked Wikipedia - seems it has history as a generic Chinese curse lol

Last edited by Eddmac; May 27th 2015 at 9:33 pm. Reason: more info
Old May 27th 2015, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by Eddmac
If you find Vancouver boring - don't live there, I mean seriously, what's the problem?
Belfast in the 70's/80's was pretty exciting - doesn't mean that I enjoyed living there.

Wasn't it Confucius that said "may you live in interesting times" and considered it an insult?

Just checked Wikipedia - seems it has history as a generic Chinese curse lol

People here are very defensive.

Last edited by Oink; May 27th 2015 at 9:40 pm.
Old May 27th 2015, 10:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I am tired of being picked on by this one poster and it's not the first time.

Thanks to those I have talked to over the years, some really great folks here but there are a few who have made posting here a less then fun experience and for my well being, I am leaving.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.