Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver 'mind-numbingly boring?

Vancouver 'mind-numbingly boring?

Old Jun 10th 2015, 1:47 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver 'mind-numbingly boring?

Originally Posted by JonboyE
In the West End (residential district close to Downtown, Stanley Park and beaches) one bedroom apartments start around $1,150 to $1,200.
Granted we're not near beaches (a 20 minute drive) but the one bedroom apartment in my duplex, by a nice park and very close to downtown rents for $540 and that's more than most.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 6:46 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jerry brewer
Hi
Maybe all the negative waves will help reduce the number of people who keep moving here,
it's getting a bit busy now.
i have only been here about 8 yrs but i can see the changes.
jerry
What changes...population growth?
Old Jun 10th 2015, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
What changes...population growth?
yep
Old Jun 10th 2015, 7:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee
The point of Vancouver isn't to immerse yourself in its infrastructure, it's about having that infrastructure within close proximity to wilderness - mountains, oceans, fjords, islands, rivers, lakes, rainforest, beaches. You have conveniences of a big city if you want to shop, eat at good restaurants, see theatre, a movie, an art exhibit, a concert, etc. but you can easily vacate the city for the wilderness in 30 minutes or less. Very few cities offer the diversity of wilderness that Vancouver has, and that wilderness is very much a part of the reason why people move to Vancouver. It's the natural environment that has created Vancouver's lifestyle. People don't move to this city to limit themselves to the urban environment, or they're missing the point and are likely miserable. To enjoy Vancouver, you must have an appreciation for nature and a desire to immerse yourself in that environment, a desire to spend your evenings on the beach, your weekends hiking and kayaking and sailing and skiing. Amusement park style entertainment attractions or large museums are not Vancouver's forte. Vancouver is a terrible place to be entertained, but it's a spectacular place to explore and connect with nature.

That is why I like San Diego, you have nature, beaches + world class museums and zoo, and all within 10 to 90 mins of downtown depending on what kind of nature you seek, beaches are the closest, and 70 miles of coastline, desert is the furthest at 90 mins or so.

Lots of nature in So. California, just a different type of nature.

Maybe it's from where I am from, but Vancouver beaches are pretty bad compared to other west coast areas.

Vancouver is just way overpriced for what the city actually offers, if it were not in Canada where every major city has nasty winters, I doubt it would be as popular as it is.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 8:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Granted we're not near beaches (a 20 minute drive) but the one bedroom apartment in my duplex, by a nice park and very close to downtown rents for $540 and that's more than most.
You might find a room in Vancouver for that price if your lucky.

I think Vancouver is an okay city if the cost of living wasn't so high, but it's not worth what housing, food, gas, and everything else costs, everything tends to be overpriced and jobs underpaid compared to what the cost of living is.

Hard to enjoy a city when your working 16 hours a day which a lot of people do, one job at 11-12 per hour just doesn't cut it if you want an apartment and not share with complete strangers with no privacy.

If only I had photos of the dump I paid 500 for in Vancouver, if the place had ever caught fire, I'd have been cooked well done.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 8:09 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
That is why I like San Diego, you have nature, beaches + world class museums and zoo, and all within 10 to 90 mins of downtown depending on what kind of nature you seek, beaches are the closest, and 70 miles of coastline, desert is the furthest at 90 mins or so.

Lots of nature in So. California, just a different type of nature.

Maybe it's from where I am from, but Vancouver beaches are pretty bad compared to other west coast areas.

Vancouver is just way overpriced for what the city actually offers, if it were not in Canada where every major city has nasty winters, I doubt it would be as popular as it is.
That's the big irony in Vancouver, surrounded by water, but so much of it inaccessible by way of beaches. Nothing like California, Oregon or even the UK. The beaches don't even feel like real beaches, more like the beaches you get at the Great Lakes. I think it's the Island that keeps the ocean proper at bay, and gives Vancouver that somewhat mind-numbing stillness.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 8:12 am
Account Closed

That's the big irony in Vancouver, surrounded by water, but so much of it inaccessible by way of beaches. Nothing like California, Oregon or even the UK. The beaches don't even feel like real beaches, more like the beaches you get at the Great Lakes. I think it's the Island that keeps the ocean proper at bay, and gives Vancouver that somewhat mind-numbing stillness.
West Coast of Vancouver Island is where you have to go to get to real beaches.

Unfortunately it's costly these days to access Vancouver Island and you really need a car if your wanting to go out of Victoria, and its not cheap to take a car on the ferry anymore.

Makes going over there just for fun (which I would love to do) hard to justify.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 8:15 am
Yo

Unfortunately it's costly these days to access Vancouver Island and you really need a car if your wanting to go out of Victoria, and its not cheap to take a car on the ferry anymore.

Yes, I know that. Just commenting on Vancouver itself.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 8:19 am
Account Closed

Yes, I know that. Just commenting on Vancouver itself.
Don't mind me. I am bored, tired, and have 8 hours before I can sleep and brain takes the night off at 1:30am...lol
Old Jun 10th 2015, 3:29 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Hasn't been still this week. Six to seven foot whitecaps at Point Atkinson yesterday.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 6:37 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Even for a foot passenger is its expensive when you think about how long it takes from downtown Vancouver to the terminal and then across on ferry and then bus to Victoria.

Would love to go to Tofino but would need to hire a car regardless
Old Jun 10th 2015, 6:55 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Would love to go to Tofino but would need to hire a car regardless
Have you considered inviting JamesM over?

We all, all of us on BE, think you two would make a wonderful couple. Don't be shy, send him a PM invitation!

Let's see some romance on here!
Old Jun 11th 2015, 1:39 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greenhill
Have you considered inviting JamesM over?

We all, all of us on BE, think you two would make a wonderful couple. Don't be shy, send him a PM invitation!

Let's see some romance on here!
What the heck has that got to do with getting to Tofino?
Old Jun 11th 2015, 10:32 am
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
What the heck has that got to do with getting to Tofino?
Absolutely nothing.

Did you send him a PM yet?
Old Jun 11th 2015, 11:30 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BristolUK
We are just at the end of Howe Sound, and while we do have a small beach, it's never been developed into anything from it's industrial days, not sure I'd swim in it though, right next to a port with big ships, but wind surfers like the area.

Spoiler: