Reload this Page >

Investigating a move to Toronto

Investigating a move to Toronto

Old Jun 6th 2015, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

NeilEB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Investigating a move to Toronto

Hi all,

So there's a possibility I'll be moving to Toronto with my family.

We're looking at the Thornhill area, and I was wondering how people went about looking for accommodation & schooling.

With regards to accommodation, is there a good website where I can look for a rental accommodation?

with regards to schooling, when does the school year begin and end, and what's the process for finding a school and getting a place?
Old Jun 6th 2015, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Investigating a move to Toronto

Originally Posted by NeilEB
Hi all,

We're looking at the Thornhill area, and I was wondering how people went about looking for accommodation & schooling.

With regards to accommodation, is there a good website where I can look for a rental accommodation?

with regards to schooling, when does the school year begin and end, and what's the process for finding a school and getting a place?

Generally kids just go to the closest school to their home (public or Catholic). The school year generally begins right after Labour Day but who knows what will happen this coming year as there are likely to be a lot of teacher's strikes.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 6:01 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Real Estate Listings in Canada: houses, condos, land, property | REALTOR.ca

Apartment Toronto: Find your next Toronto apartment, rent quickly with pictures.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by colchar
Generally kids just go to the closest school to their home (public or Catholic). The school year generally begins right after Labour Day but who knows what will happen this coming year as there are likely to be a lot of teacher's strikes.
Ok so it's the same school pattern as the UK then - September to July?

Are there any school costs if you go to a state school?
Old Jun 6th 2015, 7:42 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

You will be expected to provide more stationary than in the UK. The school will give you a list. There are also charges for subjects outside the core curriculum - band and sports for example. It does vary by school district but think of something in the $200 to $500 range for a year.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 7:53 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

A minor thing but school year runs September to end of June- my kids finish on the 25th. Also the holidays aren't the same... Two weeks at Christmas, a week at march break and the "bank" holidays which aren't the same either..
Old Jun 6th 2015, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tirytory
A minor thing but school year runs September to end of June- my kids finish on the 25th. Also the holidays aren't the same... Two weeks at Christmas, a week at march break and the "bank" holidays which aren't the same either..
Ok thanks - I'd heard from somewhere that the school year went from january to December, so good to know that;s not the case.

Are the school years directly comparable? So if we stay in the UK, my son will be starting year 3. Will he be in 3rd Grade in Canada? He turns 8 in December
Old Jun 6th 2015, 8:00 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Ok thanks - I'd heard from somewhere that the school year went from january to December, so good to know that;s not the case.

Are the school years directly comparable? So if we stay in the UK, my son will be starting year 3. Will he be in 3rd Grade in Canada? He turns 8 in December

The January to December is to do with what year they are placed in school... So my son born in Aug 2005 went from youngest in his class to middle of his class in grade 3...
Old Jun 6th 2015, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tirytory
The January to December is to do with what year they are placed in school... So my son born in Aug 2005 went from youngest in his class to middle of his class in grade 3...
Ahh that makes sense - and will mean my son goes from one of the oldest in his year to the youngest :-(
Old Jun 6th 2015, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

Allie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh that makes sense - and will mean my son goes from one of the oldest in his year to the youngest :-(
We had this problem as well with our December born twins. They had just started Reception in the UK and they were amongst the eldest in their class. When when we moved to Canada, they were put into their 2nd year of school even though they weren't 5 yet, meaning not only were they the youngest in the class, they skipped a year of school. One has adjusted fine. The other has struggled, but is catching up.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

The public schools do not generally have a uniform

Catholic schools, private schools and some "charter" public schools do ......... "charter" usually meaning going back to basics in the teaching.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 11:04 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Step 1: Look for accommodation and choose it.

Step 2: Look up the school serving the location of the accommodation.

Simples.
Old Jun 7th 2015, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
You will be expected to provide more stationary than in the UK. The school will give you a list. There are also charges for subjects outside the core curriculum - band and sports for example. It does vary by school district but think of something in the $200 to $500 range for a year.
All 3 of mine are in bands ( one is in 2) and I have never had to pay anything, for either elementary or secondary. I did buy two of them mouthpieces but this was optional.

So far they have done x-country, track and field and volleyball teams at elementary and again I have never paid anything, except for knee pads for volleyball. Secondary school rugby team I had to buy kit, and pay a low fee for bus costs. Maybe charging varies in different areas. We are in York region, GTA.
Old Jun 7th 2015, 2:30 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
All 3 of mine are in bands ( one is in 2) and I have never had to pay anything, for either elementary or secondary. I did buy two of them mouthpieces but this was optional.

So far they have done x-country, track and field and volleyball teams at elementary and again I have never paid anything, except for knee pads for volleyball. Secondary school rugby team I had to buy kit, and pay a low fee for bus costs. Maybe charging varies in different areas. We are in York region, GTA.
Times have no doubt changed, but we also had no supplementary charges from York Region. If this is still true today, I imagine it would be true anywhere in Ontario.
Old Jun 7th 2015, 7:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

In case you've not discovered it yet, the Wiki is full of useful info - School Age Categories-Canada : British Expat Wiki

There are more articles about schooling amongst many other things.

HTH.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.