Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Struggling Here

Struggling Here

Old Apr 26th 2011, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

themurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud of
Default Re: Struggling Here

Over the Easter Weekend, an adoptive father reported that his child had once again been apprehended, however due to the revolving door Children and Youth catch and release system, if the child submissively played the system for 72 hours, their previous escapes, their previous assessments, their birth family’s history of illness and abuse would not be taken into account. Instead of a secure treatment facility it would be back to another easily escapable group home.

To the Minister:

1) Why is a 72 hour only assessment the equivalent of a get out of child custody free card?

2) At what point, if ever, in the current catch and release Children and Youth Services system does a child’s cumulative assessment file get opened and acted upon?

3) How is it, in the (quote) “best interests” of a child or their parents to revolve through the system, and land back onto the street without receiving sustained treatment or support?

Linda Pushor

Executive Assistant

HARRY CHASE, MLA

Shadow Minister for Children & Youth Services; Employment and Immigration and Tourism, Parks & Recreation

Calgary Varsity Constituency

108, 4616 Valiant Drive NW

Calgary AB T3A 0X9

PH (403) 216-5436 FAX (403) 216-5438

[email protected] www.HarryChaseMLA.com

Originally Posted by themurphyfamily
Here we go again. So it seems that she is more than likely going to be released on friday.They can't take any history into acct prior to 72 hours so as long as she is compliant from today untill Thurs when the psychologist does her report,she will end up being released to a group home.
This time she will be taken to a group home which is not in Edmonton but it will make no differnce as she will be straight on the phone to whoever or on facebook who will drive out there and pick her up.
From what a psychiatrist said today they will treat her as an emancipated adult.
I'm thinking my only option is to sak for her to be deported.She has already received a kicking and the next time.I can't think about that.
I'mstarting to think that it's the authorities that need their mental health looked at,not our daughter.s
Old May 15th 2011, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

themurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud of

We have 5 days left of the secure order and still no sign of an assessment.
We have a meeting hopefully with the director of Mental Health and Addictions on Tues.
Our daughter is talking about wanting to come home,but we can't believe a thing she says.
We went to see her yesterday and she is making all the right noises and i am in danger of missing the genuine signs but we have told her that we need to see her getting help.We told her that she needs to go to CASA house but she says she will do anything but go there and it's every excuse under the sun. First she heard that she will be a medication guinnea pig,then because it"s a six month program.
I just don't know.

Over the Easter Weekend, an adoptive father reported that his child had once again been apprehended, however due to the revolving door Children and Youth catch and release system, if the child submissively played the system for 72 hours, their previous escapes, their previous assessments, their birth family’s history of illness and abuse would not be taken into account. Instead of a secure treatment facility it would be back to another easily escapable group home.

To the Minister:

1) Why is a 72 hour only assessment the equivalent of a get out of child custody free card?

2) At what point, if ever, in the current catch and release Children and Youth Services system does a child’s cumulative assessment file get opened and acted upon?

3) How is it, in the (quote) “best interests” of a child or their parents to revolve through the system, and land back onto the street without receiving sustained treatment or support?

Linda Pushor

Executive Assistant

HARRY CHASE, MLA

Shadow Minister for Children & Youth Services; Employment and Immigration and Tourism, Parks & Recreation

Calgary Varsity Constituency

108, 4616 Valiant Drive NW

Calgary AB T3A 0X9

PH (403) 216-5436 FAX (403) 216-5438

[email protected] www.HarryChaseMLA.com
Old May 19th 2011, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

Well it's finally happening. Our daughter is having her assesment. She will be in a secure enviroment so she can't run off and the 1st part is for a month.
I have to leave in a bit and meet up with the child services who are transporting her to the facility. She is going to hate me and it's goning to be made worse by the fact that some psychologist in the secure unit she is in now has told her that the tests that she has had so far have been at our insistance and this woman has basically told her that she can't see any problems with her and that she is a smart girl.
This psychologist has had no input from us and is basically undermining the Psychiatrist that our daughter saw last year who diagnosed her with BPD with possible FASD,ADHD and Reactive Attachment Disorder.
So this morning our girl is more than likely going to kick off. If it's true i hope this woman knows how to stack shelves in Walmart.
Anyhoo on a lighter note i was e mailed this today which i thought was funny. If there is anyone who is offended my apologies but it's just a great bit of British humour.

Dear Mr. Cameron,

Please find below our suggestion for fixing the UK 's economy.

Instead of giving billions of pounds to banks that will squander the money on lavish parties and unearned bonuses, use the following plan.

You can call it the Patriotic Retirement Plan:

There are about 10 million people over 50 in the work force.

Pay them £1 million each severance for early retirement with the following stipulations:

1) They MUST retire.
Ten million job openings - unemployment fixed

2) They MUST buy a new British car.
Ten million cars ordered - Car Industry fixed

3) They MUST either buy a house or pay off their mortgage - Housing Crisis fixed

4) They MUST send their kids to school/college/university - Crime rate fixed

5) They MUST buy £100 WORTH of alcohol/tobacco a week .....
And there's your money back in duty/tax etc

It can't get any easier than that!

P.S. If more money is needed, have all members of parliament pay back their falsely claimed expenses and second home allowances

If you think this would work, please forward to everyone you know.

Also.....
Let's put the pensioners in jail and the criminals in a nursing home.

This way the pensioners would have access to showers, hobbies and walks.

They'd receive unlimited free prescriptions, dental and medical treatment, wheel chairs etc and they'd receive money instead of paying it out.

They would have constant video monitoring, so they could be helped instantly, if they fell, or needed assistance.

Bedding would be washed twice a week, and all clothing would be ironed and returned to them.

A guard would check on them every 20 minutes and bring their meals and snacks to their cell.

They would have family visits in a suite built for that purpose.

They would have access to a library, weight room, spiritual counselling, pool and education.

Simple clothing, shoes, slippers, PJ's and legal aid would be free, on request.

Private, secure rooms for all, with an exercise outdoor yard, with gardens.

Each senior could have a PC a TV radio and daily phone calls.

There would be a board of directors to hear complaints, and the guards would have a code of conduct that would be strictly adhered to.

The criminals would get cold food, be left all alone and unsupervised.
Lights off at 8pm, and showers once a week. Live in a tiny room and pay £600.00 per week and have no hope of ever getting out.

LOL

We have 5 days left of the secure order and still no sign of an assessment.
We have a meeting hopefully with the director of Mental Health and Addictions on Tues.
Our daughter is talking about wanting to come home,but we can't believe a thing she says.
We went to see her yesterday and she is making all the right noises and i am in danger of missing the genuine signs but we have told her that we need to see her getting help.We told her that she needs to go to CASA house but she says she will do anything but go there and it's every excuse under the sun. First she heard that she will be a medication guinnea pig,then because it"s a six month program.
I just don't know.
Old May 20th 2011, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

Ammendment to previous post. There is going to be an assessment but she is not under secure conditions and will be free to come and go..
She also told me today that she had been using cocaine and was an accessory to stealing cars.Also involved in a high speed chase. Not sure wether it's true or not but as the guy she was found with has been sent down for a year for auto theft, then there is a good chance it is.
So again we have to sit and wait for the phone call that she has run off. Tsk

Well it's finally happening. Our daughter is having her assesment. She will be in a secure enviroment so she can't run off and the 1st part is for a month.
I have to leave in a bit and meet up with the child services who are transporting her to the facility. She is going to hate me and it's goning to be made worse by the fact that some psychologist in the secure unit she is in now has told her that the tests that she has had so far have been at our insistance and this woman has basically told her that she can't see any problems with her and that she is a smart girl.
This psychologist has had no input from us and is basically undermining the Psychiatrist that our daughter saw last year who diagnosed her with BPD with possible FASD,ADHD and Reactive Attachment Disorder.
So this morning our girl is more than likely going to kick off. If it's true i hope this woman knows how to stack shelves in Walmart.
Anyhoo on a lighter note i was e mailed this today which i thought was funny. If there is anyone who is offended my apologies but it's just a great bit of British humour.

Dear Mr. Cameron,

Instead of giving billions of pounds to banks that will squander the money on lavish parties and unearned bonuses, use the following plan.

Pay them £1 million each severance for early retirement with the following stipulations:

1) They MUST retire.

3) They MUST either buy a house or pay off their mortgage - Housing Crisis fixed

P.S. If more money is needed, have all members of parliament pay back their falsely claimed expenses and second home allowances

Also.....

They'd receive unlimited free prescriptions, dental and medical treatment, wheel chairs etc and they'd receive money instead of paying it out.

They would have constant video monitoring, so they could be helped instantly, if they fell, or needed assistance.

Bedding would be washed twice a week, and all clothing would be ironed and returned to them.

A guard would check on them every 20 minutes and bring their meals and snacks to their cell.

They would have access to a library, weight room, spiritual counselling, pool and education.

There would be a board of directors to hear complaints, and the guards would have a code of conduct that would be strictly adhered to.

Lights off at 8pm, and showers once a week. Live in a tiny room and pay £600.00 per week and have no hope of ever getting out.

LOL
Old May 20th 2011, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Mandeville is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Mr. Cameron,

1) They MUST retire.

Also.....

LOL
Good news that your daughter is being assessed and that she stays to see it through (its hard for a teenager to understand that its all for their benefit, as I think we are wired as teenagers to assume that everything we are told to do must be for the benefit of the adults around us- I certainly remember thinking like that).
Thanks for sharing the funny email I'm going to forward this on to my mother who I know will enjoy it too!
Old May 20th 2011, 2:20 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I really hope for your daughters sake and for yours that she stays long enough to get a proper assessment.
Old May 23rd 2011, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

Oscardon is an unknown quantity at this point

I often think about your situation and wish you all the best.
x
Old May 23rd 2011, 12:24 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I really hope for your daughters sake and for yours that she stays long enough to get a proper assessment.
Originally Posted by Oscardon
I often think about your situation and wish you all the best.
x
I second both the above - there may not be tons of replies to the updates but thanks for giving them
Old May 23rd 2011, 1:05 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Just to say that I echo Mandymoochops, I may have never replied, but I have often looked at your posts, and thought how very difficult this situation is in an unknown country, albeit one that speaks English. Teenagers can be an unknown land, where you have to grope forward in hope. I hope you get there.

As for your Mr. Cameron letter - I think it's brilliant, thank you so much, it made me smile.
Old May 23rd 2011, 11:58 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
I second both the above - there may not be tons of replies to the updates but thanks for giving them
+1
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 4:52 am
Forum Regular

It's Canada day and we picked our daughter up from the assessment centre yesterday. Both my wife and my daughter are upstairs playing the xbox kinnect and there is laughter which i haven't heard for a long time.
The assessment revealed that she does have disorders which apart from the BPD traits, also is RAD,Post Traumatic Stress from the abuse she suffered in foster care and Oppositional Defiance Disorder. Fortunately these have therapies which will help. The trick now is to get her to accept these issues and to get help with them. There is some acceptance but a lot more denial. The psychologist was quite concerned at the level of "well my birth Mum is like it so i just have to accept that i am the same"attitude.
I have told her that as much as we love her, we will not tolerate anymore of her behaviour. Also that if she can't live at home under our rules then she should make arrangements with her case worker to find a group home.
Well she came home and we just have to keep our fingers crossed.
I also found out that the 23 yearold she was dating is in a high security Prison in Calgary. I still don't think she fully understands the implications of what could have happened to her especially if he had turned on her.
On a different note we have just bought a house which she is very excited about.
I am still numb actually as it all started out by accident about 6 weeks ago.
We had our daughter for the weekend and went out for a meal.As it was still early i suggested a drive and came across this town that we hadn't been to. Just looking at the houses there and took a leaflet that they have outside from one that was for sale. My wife went on the realtors website and came across what she said was the house of her dreams.
Well long story short, we went back out the following day and found it and loved it and bought it.
There is more to it but essentially it started as an exercise to see if we could qualify for a mortguage.

Originally Posted by Tangram
+1
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

Essay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to all

Congrats all round.
You've all endured much and it seems there is much reason to remain hopeful.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 10:27 am
Just Joined

clamm is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Murphy Family - my heart goes out to you all. I so hope this is the light at the end of the tunnel for you. I know there is still a lot of work to be done and I wish all three of you love and peace! x
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

tracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud of

So glad to hear things are looking more positive for you and your family. this continues. Sending good wishes your way.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 12:24 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Its so nice to see a more positive update from you. I often think about you all. I hope all works out for you. Good luck and keep us posted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.