Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Struggling Here

Struggling Here

Old Mar 3rd 2011, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

themurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud of
Default Re: Struggling Here

As i am seeing the ministers on the 10th March i was wondering if anyone or anyone you know has a similar situation to us or a problems getting help from Alberta Healthi have set up an e mail address to send the stories to.
It must be to do with Mental Health obviously.
The address is
:
[email protected]

Yes it has to many s's in it.Sorry
themurphyfamily

Originally Posted by themurphyfamily
LOL. I think you may have a point.Maybe i can have a nervous breakdown of my own.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

themurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud of

So was at court today. I tried to get our daughters apprehension order extended for another 5 days. I didn't even get to speak. The Judge denied it straight off as there was still a day left on the order she is in.
There was a group home worker there who was asking for the same thing but for a child in their custody.(She was also 15).This girl had gone missing for 5 days and when they found her she was badly bruised and battered and had been date raped from what i could gather.
Again the judge denied the application straight off.
So thats it.She will be released tomorrow and will inevitably walk from the group home where she is going to be taken and we are more than likely never going to see her again.She won't text as she now knows i keep a copy of them,she won't phone as she will know the phone can be traced.
Joy

As i am seeing the ministers on the 10th March i was wondering if anyone or anyone you know has a similar situation to us or a problems getting help from Alberta Healthi have set up an e mail address to send the stories to.
It must be to do with Mental Health obviously.
The address is
:
[email protected]

Yes it has to many s's in it.Sorry
themurphyfamily
Old Mar 5th 2011, 12:34 am
Onwards and upwards!

fatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of light

So was at court today. I tried to get our daughters apprehension order extended for another 5 days. I didn't even get to speak. The Judge denied it straight off as there was still a day left on the order she is in.
There was a group home worker there who was asking for the same thing but for a child in their custody.(She was also 15).This girl had gone missing for 5 days and when they found her she was badly bruised and battered and had been date raped from what i could gather.
Again the judge denied the application straight off.
So thats it.She will be released tomorrow and will inevitably walk from the group home where she is going to be taken and we are more than likely never going to see her again.She won't text as she now knows i keep a copy of them,she won't phone as she will know the phone can be traced.
Joy
Wow, the judge seems like a prize asshole!! What was his reasons for denying it was it just because there was another day left...it that's the case they should get their lazy asses out of bed and work on Saturdays so you can go to court on Saturday!! How frustrating for you, I can't begin to imagine how you feel.
I just can't believe that a fifteen year old is allowed to run around the country putting herself at risk and social services do nothing! How do they sleep at night??
I think i would follow her when she leaves the home and stay on her tail.... i know realistically that's impossible but that's what i would feel like doing.
its seems as if you are going one step forward and 3 back you must be exhausted....my heart goes out to you and I wish there was something i could do to help. Keep letting us know how things go, we are all routing for you and your family xx
Old Mar 5th 2011, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

sslik2go will become famous soon enoughsslik2go will become famous soon enough

I am sorry if I've missed this info but does she have any siblings or close relatives her age? It might be easier for someone her age(ish) to get through to her.
I really feel for all of you, I've seen some lives ruined by drugs, luckily I was never too close so I don't really know how you must feel but I am really keeping everything crossed that you manage to sort it all out and get her back.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sslik2go
I am sorry if I've missed this info but does she have any siblings or close relatives her age? It might be easier for someone her age(ish) to get through to her.
I really feel for all of you, I've seen some lives ruined by drugs, luckily I was never too close so I don't really know how you must feel but I am really keeping everything crossed that you manage to sort it all out and get her back.
No, we adopted her as an only child. OH has sons, but they are 23 & 25 and back in the Uk. No other relatives her age.
She has spoken to the daughter of a friend of ours, who although older now, left home at 15 and was living on the streets - she now has 2 young children and is by herself trying to get herself through the schooling she has missed. She has already spoken to our daughter last year to try and get her back on the right path and told her that she wished she hadn't done it etc etc - but that has fallen on deaf ears.

An update though, she was released from the PChadd this afternoon and as there wasn't a place in the Childrens home, she was taken to the Youth Emergency Shelter.....the place she ran from before. She promised the Manager of Child Services that she was call him on Monday.....well, the amount she has lied before.....I can't believe he believed her! So here we go again......I'm just flabbergasted at all this - tired and have so 'had enough' of the fight to be perfectly honest. Just to help our child when she has mental issues....it shouldn't be this hard. Hubby is still fighting, but I think (as other people have said) that we may just have to 'let her go' and hope she comes back on her own accord. We seemed to be blocked at every avenue.

Hubby is on the phone to the YES as we speak, trying to get them on board to perhaps tell us if she leaves - but again, due to confidentiallity, there is only so much they can do. Oh, and to top it all off - they have given her her anti-psychotic medication.......we had refused to give it to her as it has to be administered by an adult. She has already stated she is suicidal, and could potentially use it as 'currency' or use it to take her own life....now she has been given full access to it! OMG - could things get any worse?
Old Mar 6th 2011, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

And just as predicted she didn't show up @ the night shelter. Here we go again.

No, we adopted her as an only child. OH has sons, but they are 23 & 25 and back in the Uk. No other relatives her age.
She has spoken to the daughter of a friend of ours, who although older now, left home at 15 and was living on the streets - she now has 2 young children and is by herself trying to get herself through the schooling she has missed. She has already spoken to our daughter last year to try and get her back on the right path and told her that she wished she hadn't done it etc etc - but that has fallen on deaf ears.

An update though, she was released from the PChadd this afternoon and as there wasn't a place in the Childrens home, she was taken to the Youth Emergency Shelter.....the place she ran from before. She promised the Manager of Child Services that she was call him on Monday.....well, the amount she has lied before.....I can't believe he believed her! So here we go again......I'm just flabbergasted at all this - tired and have so 'had enough' of the fight to be perfectly honest. Just to help our child when she has mental issues....it shouldn't be this hard. Hubby is still fighting, but I think (as other people have said) that we may just have to 'let her go' and hope she comes back on her own accord. We seemed to be blocked at every avenue.

Hubby is on the phone to the YES as we speak, trying to get them on board to perhaps tell us if she leaves - but again, due to confidentiallity, there is only so much they can do. Oh, and to top it all off - they have given her her anti-psychotic medication.......we had refused to give it to her as it has to be administered by an adult. She has already stated she is suicidal, and could potentially use it as 'currency' or use it to take her own life....now she has been given full access to it! OMG - could things get any worse?
Old Mar 6th 2011, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

sslik2go will become famous soon enoughsslik2go will become famous soon enough

Not sure what to say. Wishing you better luck at getting through to her.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 8:36 am
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

And just as predicted she didn't show up @ the night shelter. Here we go again.
It's a just a shame that you knew this would happen, the historical signs are all there, and yet those supposedly offering support/treatment have no clue!
Old Mar 6th 2011, 6:21 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to you know I'm still thinking of you. This time last year it could so easily have been my teen, your situation just breaks my heart.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

Had a phone call from the police about an hour ago.Our daughter has been picked up.From what i understand she was picked up where some assault took place.She wasn't assaulted and she didn't assault anyone else apparently.She was just there.
Again i have asked them to detain her and i had to use the form 8 as that was the last chance i had.
So they will assess her,she will not present herself as a danger and they will release her and then take her back to the youth emergency shelter and guess whats going to happen.Yep she's going to run again.

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Just wanted to you know I'm still thinking of you. This time last year it could so easily have been my teen, your situation just breaks my heart.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 3:29 pm
Onwards and upwards!

fatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of light

Had a phone call from the police about an hour ago.Our daughter has been picked up.From what i understand she was picked up where some assault took place.She wasn't assaulted and she didn't assault anyone else apparently.She was just there.
Again i have asked them to detain her and i had to use the form 8 as that was the last chance i had.
So they will assess her,she will not present herself as a danger and they will release her and then take her back to the youth emergency shelter and guess whats going to happen.Yep she's going to run again.
Oh boy you really going through it
Surely her record of running etc will count for something so even though she will come across as no danger to herself, clearly the proof you have will prove the opposite??
How are you doing though (i know that sounds like a dumb question) because sometimes to write it down helps....just a thought.
I remember way back at the beginning of your post you talked about renewing your visas, can't remember what visa's they are? will this make any difference to them being allowed?
How do you feel about being in Canada do you still want to stay?
I guess this could have happened anywhere though but have you got a support network around you to help you get through this like close neighbours, friends etc?
I hope the assessment goes the right way to get her the help she needs, thinking of you still, good luck
Old Mar 7th 2011, 4:15 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Have you looked into this at all (I am sure you have, I'm just grasping at straws).

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/574.cfm?pag...=9780779726165 (application to the court for protective services)

Child sexual exploitation occurs when a child under 18 is involved in a sexual act in exchange for money, food, shelter, or any other consideration.

Perpetrators may use hotels and motels to carry out this type of child abuse without the knowledge of the owners, managers or staff. This campaign provides accommodation industry staff with:

information about child sexual exploitation;
the signs to watch for; and
what to do if they see something suspicious – talk to their supervisors and
call 1-800-387-KIDS (5437) or the local police.

http://www.child.alberta.ca/home/792.cfm

Child sexual exploitation and the law
Help is available to children sexually exploited through prostitution through the Protection of Sexually Exploited Children Act.

The Act recognizes that children involved in prostitution are victims of sexual abuse and allows police and caseworkers to remove sexually exploited children from dangerous situations to ensure their safety and well-being.

Under the legislation, sexually exploited children and youth involved in prostitution can access a variety of voluntary community services including medical assistance, drug and alcohol counseling, psychological services, educational programming, placement resources and life skills support.

A child who does not want to end his or her involvement in prostitution can be apprehended by police or a child protection worker. The police or child protection worker would then take the child to a safe, secured facility, where the child can be confined for up to five days.

At this safe, secured facility, the child receives emergency care, treatment and an assessment. The development of a long-term plan to assist the child to exit prostitution begins.

Under the Act, those who exploit children can be charged with child sexual abuse and fined up to $25,000, jailed for up to two years, or both.

The Act: http://www.canlii.org/en/ab/laws/sta...-c-p-30.3.html

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 7th 2011 at 4:18 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

And the madness continues. As predicted,our daughter was taken to the Royal Alex for assessment .I get a phone call from the crisis line saying that the Dr on duty had seen her and saw no reason to detain her and she was going to be released and taken back to the Youth Emergency Shelter by taxi.(not a crisis team staff member)
So i phoned the Hospital and asked to speak to this Dr. I told him the situation and had a conversation with regards to her background. He said that if he had known some of the background beforehand,it would have had a bearing on his decision on wether he released her or not.
I had said to the crisis people on Sat night that i would e mail them the psychiatrists letter and was told that it would not be necessary.
So after speaking to him,he said that he would keep her there untill the child Psychologists started work in the morning.
This was about 3 in the morning.About an hour later the phone went again and the crisis team told me that she had been released and taken back to the shelter and guess whats coming next.You guessed it,she wasn't there.
So now she is out there again.Anyone know a Lawyer.
I can't wait to see the Ministers on Thurs.

Originally Posted by siouxie
Have you looked into this at all (I am sure you have, I'm just grasping at straws).

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/574.cfm?pag...=9780779726165 (application to the court for protective services)

Child sexual exploitation occurs when a child under 18 is involved in a sexual act in exchange for money, food, shelter, or any other consideration.

Perpetrators may use hotels and motels to carry out this type of child abuse without the knowledge of the owners, managers or staff. This campaign provides accommodation industry staff with:

information about child sexual exploitation;
the signs to watch for; and
what to do if they see something suspicious – talk to their supervisors and
call 1-800-387-KIDS (5437) or the local police.

http://www.child.alberta.ca/home/792.cfm

Child sexual exploitation and the law
Help is available to children sexually exploited through prostitution through the Protection of Sexually Exploited Children Act.

The Act recognizes that children involved in prostitution are victims of sexual abuse and allows police and caseworkers to remove sexually exploited children from dangerous situations to ensure their safety and well-being.

Under the legislation, sexually exploited children and youth involved in prostitution can access a variety of voluntary community services including medical assistance, drug and alcohol counseling, psychological services, educational programming, placement resources and life skills support.

A child who does not want to end his or her involvement in prostitution can be apprehended by police or a child protection worker. The police or child protection worker would then take the child to a safe, secured facility, where the child can be confined for up to five days.

At this safe, secured facility, the child receives emergency care, treatment and an assessment. The development of a long-term plan to assist the child to exit prostitution begins.

Under the Act, those who exploit children can be charged with child sexual abuse and fined up to $25,000, jailed for up to two years, or both.

The Act: http://www.canlii.org/en/ab/laws/sta...-c-p-30.3.html

Old Mar 8th 2011, 1:20 pm
Onwards and upwards!

And the madness continues. As predicted,our daughter was taken to the Royal Alex for assessment .I get a phone call from the crisis line saying that the Dr on duty had seen her and saw no reason to detain her and she was going to be released and taken back to the Youth Emergency Shelter by taxi.(not a crisis team staff member)
So i phoned the Hospital and asked to speak to this Dr. I told him the situation and had a conversation with regards to her background. He said that if he had known some of the background beforehand,it would have had a bearing on his decision on wether he released her or not.
I had said to the crisis people on Sat night that i would e mail them the psychiatrists letter and was told that it would not be necessary.
So after speaking to him,he said that he would keep her there untill the child Psychologists started work in the morning.
This was about 3 in the morning.About an hour later the phone went again and the crisis team told me that she had been released and taken back to the shelter and guess whats coming next.You guessed it,she wasn't there.
So now she is out there again.Anyone know a Lawyer.
I can't wait to see the Ministers on Thurs.
oh my god I bet that's how you feel!! Let us know how you go on with the ministers on Thursday. Stay strong, best wishes
Old Mar 8th 2011, 1:50 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

OMG! I can't believe it is so difficult to get some help. I also feel for your daughter, it can't be easy on her either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.