Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Struggling Here

Struggling Here

Old Mar 22nd 2011, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

themurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud of
Default Re: Struggling Here

We were in court today as our daughter has the right to appeal.Fortunately she has agreed to be there until Friday so it was just a formality.
However,it goes back to court on Friday and she can be released.So all that fighting to have her assessed will be for nothing if they don't keep her for the 30 days.
The plan is for her to go to a group home(like she is gonna stay there) and if she takes off again yet another secure order then she runs again and another secure order until someone says hang on a minute.That is if she lasts that long as the types of guys she has been hanging with all have assault and battery charges ,one has a charge for the rape of a 13 year old (this was her so called boyfriend).
It seems this guy is also 23 and has been trying to get our daughter to have 3 in a bed sex and have sex with his brother.
He has just been sent down for 9 years because of an assault in which he battered some bloke in the face with a fire extinguisher.
This is the incident our daughter was around when she was picked up a couple of Sundays ago.
My hope is that the child services can convince the judge that she is highly at risk.The ludicrous thing is that they cannot take into acct any prior history prior to 72 hours.

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
Goods news that she is safe. I hope you have a better out come from the hearing this time
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 11:17 pm
Onwards and upwards!

fatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by themurphyfamily
We were in court today as our daughter has the right to appeal.Fortunately she has agreed to be there until Friday so it was just a formality.
However,it goes back to court on Friday and she can be released.So all that fighting to have her assessed will be for nothing if they don't keep her for the 30 days.
The plan is for her to go to a group home(like she is gonna stay there) and if she takes off again yet another secure order then she runs again and another secure order until someone says hang on a minute.That is if she lasts that long as the types of guys she has been hanging with all have assault and battery charges ,one has a charge for the rape of a 13 year old (this was her so called boyfriend).
It seems this guy is also 23 and has been trying to get our daughter to have 3 in a bed sex and have sex with his brother.
He has just been sent down for 9 years because of an assault in which he battered some bloke in the face with a fire extinguisher.
This is the incident our daughter was around when she was picked up a couple of Sundays ago.
My hope is that the child services can convince the judge that she is highly at risk.The ludicrous thing is that they cannot take into acct any prior history prior to 72 hours.
omg... you would think by now someone would be taking some notice.... maybe you should print off the children act from the UK and suggest they have something like that in Canada...show them the stories of Victoria Climbe etc (i know the scenario is different) but it shows how social services did nothing and the results that can occur.
I don't know what to say and I wish i could help in some way but i know i can't just to send you my best wishes and hope you get some kind of support from somewhere. Anything from the MP's yet?
Old Mar 26th 2011, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

themurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud ofthemurphyfamily has much to be proud of

Well, further update:

Our daughter didn't even get to Court on Friday. The Psychologist in the secure unit said there were no grounds to keep her there as she didn't pose a threat to herself or others......

Her medication has been increased - but as I said to the OH, that's only ok if she stays somewhere long enough to actually take it.

She was transferred to a Group Home yesterday...and our bettings were on whether she would actually stay there for one night? Well, lo and behold, we get a phonecall to say she is on 72hr watch as she is threatening to leave. OH is at home at the minute trying to make phonecalls to everyone concerned....we told them she would do this, and as it's not a secure unit she's been taken to - they can't physically hold her. So, now more running around trying to ensure that people are aware and trying to get someone to see her who might be able to talk some sense into her....but so far it's all been for nothing.

Our stress levels are through the roof again, I know that hubby doesn't know whether he's coming or going sometimes and is so frustrated at the lack of help and follow-through........it just seems to me that no body is actually going to do anything to 'avoid' a situation, just perhaps share their condolences when something happens...??
Old Mar 26th 2011, 6:27 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Its all so sad. It must be very worrying and frustrating for you both.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

Has anyone written to the embassy e mail address that i posted?
If not this the address again.

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
Its all so sad. It must be very worrying and frustrating for you both.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Apr 2nd 2011 at 7:31 pm. Reason: I'm so sorry, but you cannot put somebody else's email address on a public forum. People can PM you for it if they wish.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

I'm finding it very difficult to understand the mentality of the people that your supposed to rely on when you turn to them for help.
Example,our daughter was in the group home last weekend.She was on 72 hour AWOL watch as she had commented that she was going to run.
The child services worker decided in his infinite wisdom ,on the Monday to take her into town, as i heard it from the group home staff,to get some hairdye.
Well she has run again.She refused to get in his van to return back to the group home and dissapeared into the mall.
Here we are a week later and i had a text from the woman that Claire ended up with the last time.It seems that she is now with some bloke who agin is 23 and who knows she is 15.I again phoned the police,child services and the crisis people.That was yesterday and still not heard anything.Last thing i heard was that they were going to check out last known address.
Still i get apathy as it's now back to" ïf she is spotted,she will be picked up".
When i spoke to the child sevices director,i did get an apology from him for the case workers action.
I said that was little consolation as the last time he didn't listen to us,she ran off when she was taken to the day centre from PCHAD.
And her case worker is a supervisor for god sake.
We hopefully have CTV news coming to speak to us next week.

[QUOTE=themurphyfamily;9266977]Has anyone written to the embassy e mail address that i posted?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Apr 2nd 2011 at 7:32 pm. Reason: Email address removed again.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

This is the speech made on the floor of the legislature building.

show details Apr 12 (2 days ago)

Mental Illness Treatment Services for Children

April 11, 2011

Mr. Chase: Thank you, Mr. Speaker. The road to hell is paved with good intentions. I met this morning with the father of a 15-year-old girl who has not only seen her share of hell but has made life hellish recently for those around her. Despite the best intentions and cross-ministerial efforts of Alberta Health, Children and Youth, and Justice, she has never remained in a secure treatment facility long enough to receive the psychological assessment and support she needs. To the minister of health: why is it that this girl and many other troubled children she represents do not receive the prompt and thorough assessment and support they need?

2:30

Mr. Zwozdesky: Mr. Speaker, I would hope that the children that he has just alluded to are receiving that treatment and support. In the particular case of the young lady that has just been referenced, I know that my staff followed up with that family. I’m hoping that they will not only identify her but that they will be able to help her and her family resolve the issues and that the young lady will re-ceive the treatment and care she requires.

The Speaker: The hon. member.

Mr. Chase: Thank you. To the minister. I very much appreciate the efforts of Fern Miller in your department in terms of explaining what can potentially be done, but the girl remains on the run.

Will the minister indicate when this government will produce a comprehensive plan for the improved treatment of mental illness in children?

Mr. Zwozdesky: Very soon, Mr. Speaker. As one of the under-takings of our five-year health action plan we’ve committed to developing a province-wide mental health strategy. It’s moving along very briskly. Alberta Health Services has committed to creating an advisory council at that level. We’ve added about 65 additional staff to deal with the addictions and mental health is-sues, and we’ve added an additional 35 of these spaces across the province. Thirty-four new spaces were just added in terms of residential treatment type beds in Medicine Hat and in Fort McMurray. We’ll continue to . . .

Mr. Chase: Thank you. Mr. Speaker, this young lady doesn’t have a whole lot of time left. She’s out there. She’s 15 years old. She needs the government’s protection. When will the department fulfill the outstanding recommendation it received from the Audi-tor General in 2008 and provide a complete accountability framework for the provincial mental health plan and mental health services in Alberta?

Mr. Zwozdesky: Well, again, Mr. Speaker, we are working on that right now, and we’re also working very aggressively with the $500 million to $600 million that we spend in this area each year. Nineteen million dollars of that over the next three years is a partnership with Alberta Education, where we’re dealing with children or youth in that exact age range. We’re adding more counsellors. We’re adding more support staff. We’re adding more spaces. So there’s quite a bit going on. If there are people who need help and if they want it, they can come forward. We’ll be glad to do our best to help them out.

It's now gone to the Minister For Justice and the Solicitor General.
It seems that the Minister For Child Services is circling the wagons.
I have also involved the Wild Rose party and the NDP.
They want a fight.Bring it.
As far as our daughter is concerned,still out in Edmonton & is now being passed around at least 3 20 somrthings. I heard on thurs that she got assaulted and still these bastards aren't actively looking for her.
Next time it might not be a slap she gets but a blade.

[QUOTE=themurphyfamily;9281493]I'm finding it very difficult to understand the mentality of the people that your supposed to rely on when you turn to them for help.
Example,our daughter was in the group home last weekend.She was on 72 hour AWOL watch as she had commented that she was going to run.
The child services worker decided in his infinite wisdom ,on the Monday to take her into town, as i heard it from the group home staff,to get some hairdye.
Well she has run again.She refused to get in his van to return back to the group home and dissapeared into the mall.
Here we are a week later and i had a text from the woman that Claire ended up with the last time.It seems that she is now with some bloke who agin is 23 and who knows she is 15.I again phoned the police,child services and the crisis people.That was yesterday and still not heard anything.Last thing i heard was that they were going to check out last known address.
Still i get apathy as it's now back to" ïf she is spotted,she will be picked up".
When i spoke to the child sevices director,i did get an apology from him for the case workers action.
I said that was little consolation as the last time he didn't listen to us,she ran off when she was taken to the day centre from PCHAD.

Has anyone written to the embassy e mail address that i posted?
Old Apr 14th 2011, 7:14 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=themurphyfamily;9304178]This is the speech made on the floor of the legislature building.

show details Apr 12 (2 days ago)

Mental Illness Treatment Services for Children

April 11, 2011

Mr. Chase: Thank you, Mr. Speaker. The road to hell is paved with good intentions. I met this morning with the father of a 15-year-old girl who has not only seen her share of hell but has made life hellish recently for those around her. Despite the best intentions and cross-ministerial efforts of Alberta Health, Children and Youth, and Justice, she has never remained in a secure treatment facility long enough to receive the psychological assessment and support she needs. To the minister of health: why is it that this girl and many other troubled children she represents do not receive the prompt and thorough assessment and support they need?

Mr. Zwozdesky: Mr. Speaker, I would hope that the children that he has just alluded to are receiving that treatment and support. In the particular case of the young lady that has just been referenced, I know that my staff followed up with that family. I’m hoping that they will not only identify her but that they will be able to help her and her family resolve the issues and that the young lady will re-ceive the treatment and care she requires.

Mr. Chase: Thank you. To the minister. I very much appreciate the efforts of Fern Miller in your department in terms of explaining what can potentially be done, but the girl remains on the run.

Will the minister indicate when this government will produce a comprehensive plan for the improved treatment of mental illness in children?

Mr. Zwozdesky: Very soon, Mr. Speaker. As one of the under-takings of our five-year health action plan we’ve committed to developing a province-wide mental health strategy. It’s moving along very briskly. Alberta Health Services has committed to creating an advisory council at that level. We’ve added about 65 additional staff to deal with the addictions and mental health is-sues, and we’ve added an additional 35 of these spaces across the province. Thirty-four new spaces were just added in terms of residential treatment type beds in Medicine Hat and in Fort McMurray. We’ll continue to . . .

Mr. Chase: Thank you. Mr. Speaker, this young lady doesn’t have a whole lot of time left. She’s out there. She’s 15 years old. She needs the government’s protection. When will the department fulfill the outstanding recommendation it received from the Audi-tor General in 2008 and provide a complete accountability framework for the provincial mental health plan and mental health services in Alberta?

Mr. Zwozdesky: Well, again, Mr. Speaker, we are working on that right now, and we’re also working very aggressively with the $500 million to $600 million that we spend in this area each year. Nineteen million dollars of that over the next three years is a partnership with Alberta Education, where we’re dealing with children or youth in that exact age range. We’re adding more counsellors. We’re adding more support staff. We’re adding more spaces. So there’s quite a bit going on. If there are people who need help and if they want it, they can come forward. We’ll be glad to do our best to help them out.

It's now gone to the Minister For Justice and the Solicitor General.
It seems that the Minister For Child Services is circling the wagons.
I have also involved the Wild Rose party and the NDP.
They want a fight.Bring it.
As far as our daughter is concerned,still out in Edmonton & is now being passed around at least 3 20 somrthings. I heard on thurs that she got assaulted and still these bastards aren't actively looking for her.
Next time it might not be a slap she gets but a blade.

I'm finding it very difficult to understand the mentality of the people that your supposed to rely on when you turn to them for help.
I wish we could help. I've just gone to watch my 8 year old asleep before turning in myself and can't begin to imagine what you must be going through. I hope the authorities here get their collective arses into gear soon and do what they should have done aleady.

A prayer for your daughter is all I can offer and with a will, let's hope it all turns out OK.

Thoughts are there.....
Old Apr 14th 2011, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to all

As a mum myself of 3 children (12, 7 & 4) I can only begin to imagine the worry, stress and frustrations you are going through. I have read your posts and each time I see an update I hope it's bearing good news......

As other posters have said, I wish there was more I could do, but all I can offer is my thoughts and best wishes to you and your family.

Thinking of you and wishing for happy news......
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

Still no news on our daughters whereabouts and still the authorities are doing nothing.
I have however managed to get it addressed on the floor of the legislature building.

Last night at the invitation of the father of a fifteen year old girl who escaped the custody of her Children and Youth Services case worker over two weeks ago and has yet to be apprehended, I attended a parent support group which meets in different locations throughout the region each Tuesday night. The PEP group Parents Empowering Parents facilitated by a probation officer included an RCMP officer who was also volunteering his time and expertise, as well as a diverse group of over forty individuals consisting of parents, grandparents, recovering youth addicts some attending by choice others by court order and their supporters. For some it was their first meeting, others were regular attendees.

During the break I was approached by a number of parents anxious to share their children’s tragic stories. Common themes of concern emerged, such as the inability to report their child as a missing person because they were over 12, the revolving door affect of short term PChads which frequently didn’t result in secure apprehension, never mind assessment or necessary treatment, the long waiting lists for a secure treatment facility, the failure to include or pass along previous family history, psychological assessments and court intervention orders not only across ministries but internally within a ministry, and the overriding of parental rights by a child regardless of mental illness or addiction which lead one parent to worry that his young daughter was being abandoned to pedophiles, pimps and pushers.

Another parent stated and I quote “Our system does not work. I know because we started looking for help when our daughter was 12, she is now 18 and has finally agreed to go for treatment.”

With regard to PChads, a third parent noted and I quote “The legislation has been changed to provide 10 days from the former 5 days rehab, however the powers that be are not providing 10 days of support.”

A fourth parent recounted the downward spiral of his pain killer addicted son following a car accident. Numerous uncoordinated health interventions failed to prevent his suicide.

Alberta’s most vulnerable children and their parents are far too frequently losing the battle.

And so we continue
themurphy family

Originally Posted by Nicola N-A
As a mum myself of 3 children (12, 7 & 4) I can only begin to imagine the worry, stress and frustrations you are going through. I have read your posts and each time I see an update I hope it's bearing good news......

As other posters have said, I wish there was more I could do, but all I can offer is my thoughts and best wishes to you and your family.

Thinking of you and wishing for happy news......
Old Apr 24th 2011, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

Got a message on FB today. This was the reply from last week when i sent her a message,

ya i got jumped by some chicks but no im not pressing charges i deserved what i got just got a black eye shin splintys and a few bruised ribs im fine tho thanks for the concern.

So basically she thinks it's acceptable to be physically assaulted.And i told child services that she had been attacked last week and i can't do a damn thing about it

Still no news on our daughters whereabouts and still the authorities are doing nothing.
I have however managed to get it addressed on the floor of the legislature building.

Last night at the invitation of the father of a fifteen year old girl who escaped the custody of her Children and Youth Services case worker over two weeks ago and has yet to be apprehended, I attended a parent support group which meets in different locations throughout the region each Tuesday night. The PEP group Parents Empowering Parents facilitated by a probation officer included an RCMP officer who was also volunteering his time and expertise, as well as a diverse group of over forty individuals consisting of parents, grandparents, recovering youth addicts some attending by choice others by court order and their supporters. For some it was their first meeting, others were regular attendees.

During the break I was approached by a number of parents anxious to share their children’s tragic stories. Common themes of concern emerged, such as the inability to report their child as a missing person because they were over 12, the revolving door affect of short term PChads which frequently didn’t result in secure apprehension, never mind assessment or necessary treatment, the long waiting lists for a secure treatment facility, the failure to include or pass along previous family history, psychological assessments and court intervention orders not only across ministries but internally within a ministry, and the overriding of parental rights by a child regardless of mental illness or addiction which lead one parent to worry that his young daughter was being abandoned to pedophiles, pimps and pushers.

Another parent stated and I quote “Our system does not work. I know because we started looking for help when our daughter was 12, she is now 18 and has finally agreed to go for treatment.”

With regard to PChads, a third parent noted and I quote “The legislation has been changed to provide 10 days from the former 5 days rehab, however the powers that be are not providing 10 days of support.”

A fourth parent recounted the downward spiral of his pain killer addicted son following a car accident. Numerous uncoordinated health interventions failed to prevent his suicide.

Alberta’s most vulnerable children and their parents are far too frequently losing the battle.

And so we continue
themurphy family
Old Apr 24th 2011, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

Help

http://https.nowisthetimeforchange.net/

Got a message on FB today. This was the reply from last week when i sent her a message,

ya i got jumped by some chicks but no im not pressing charges i deserved what i got just got a black eye shin splintys and a few bruised ribs im fine tho thanks for the concern.

So basically she thinks it's acceptable to be physically assaulted.And i told child services that she had been attacked last week and i can't do a damn thing about it
Old Apr 25th 2011, 1:50 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Would it be possible to get help by using the Protection of Sexually Exploited Children Legislation? It might be worth reading the manual to see if there is anything in it you could utilise to get her off the streets.

http://www.child.alberta.ca/home/doc...SEC_manual.pdf

One of the things it says in the youth brochure is "Prostitution may not be what you think it is — it’s not only sex for money, but can also be sex in exchange
for clothes, a cell phone, a place to stay, drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, and even a ride somewhere". She probably hasn't even considered what she "may" be doing is seen as prostitution - or that she may be pushed into it for real.

http://www.child.alberta.ca/home/795.cfm

She is obviously being exposed to danger and you must be unbelievably stressed and worried.

Thinking of you.

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 25th 2011 at 1:53 am.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

She was picked up last night.Looks like she has broken ribs from a kicking she received last week but she is still breathing thank god.
She is back in a secure unit for 5 days at least and hopefully they will be able to detain her for the assessment she needs to have provided child services don"t balls it up.But she's safe for now.
There is yet another 20 something involved as she was picked up @ his apartment.
I've been at the station making a statement and hopefully they can make a case and have him charged.

Originally Posted by siouxie
Would it be possible to get help by using the Protection of Sexually Exploited Children Legislation? It might be worth reading the manual to see if there is anything in it you could utilise to get her off the streets.

http://www.child.alberta.ca/home/doc...SEC_manual.pdf

One of the things it says in the youth brochure is "Prostitution may not be what you think it is — it’s not only sex for money, but can also be sex in exchange
for clothes, a cell phone, a place to stay, drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, and even a ride somewhere". She probably hasn't even considered what she "may" be doing is seen as prostitution - or that she may be pushed into it for real.

http://www.child.alberta.ca/home/795.cfm

She is obviously being exposed to danger and you must be unbelievably stressed and worried.

Thinking of you.

Old Apr 26th 2011, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

Here we go again. So it seems that she is more than likely going to be released on friday.They can't take any history into acct prior to 72 hours so as long as she is compliant from today untill Thurs when the psychologist does her report,she will end up being released to a group home.
This time she will be taken to a group home which is not in Edmonton but it will make no differnce as she will be straight on the phone to whoever or on facebook who will drive out there and pick her up.
From what a psychiatrist said today they will treat her as an emancipated adult.
I'm thinking my only option is to sak for her to be deported.She has already received a kicking and the next time.I can't think about that.
I'mstarting to think that it's the authorities that need their mental health looked at,not our daughter.s

She was picked up last night.Looks like she has broken ribs from a kicking she received last week but she is still breathing thank god.
She is back in a secure unit for 5 days at least and hopefully they will be able to detain her for the assessment she needs to have provided child services don"t balls it up.But she's safe for now.
There is yet another 20 something involved as she was picked up @ his apartment.
I've been at the station making a statement and hopefully they can make a case and have him charged.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.