Reload this Page >

Serious about going back

Serious about going back

Old Dec 9th 2010, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

neolight90 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Serious about going back

Homework is a good thing isnt it?

I would rather my kids be learning in the week then just hanging out on street corners. Going to school is such a short spell in your life plenty of time to enjoy yourselves. Just think they do so well in school because they studied hard and played a little less in the week, but got great jobs with good money and can do anything they like whenever they like. I wish I had more homework when I was younger I would have learnt more. Work hard in the week play hard at the weekends
Old Dec 9th 2010, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

taichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Two years behind you say.

Read and weep.

http://www.alberta.ca/acn/201012/296...054CA4138.html
The fact is they are I know I taught in the UK, and have seen first hand what my son is now learning.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

taichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by neolight90
Homework is a good thing isnt it?

I would rather my kids be learning in the week then just hanging out on street corners. Going to school is such a short spell in your life plenty of time to enjoy yourselves. Just think they do so well in school because they studied hard and played a little less in the week, but got great jobs with good money and can do anything they like whenever they like. I wish I had more homework when I was younger I would have learnt more. Work hard in the week play hard at the weekends
Not to the extent it takes over.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

80% + is honors so I suggest it is totally unreasonable to expect this to be a pass mark in any school.

Alberta Education mandates 50% is the pass mark in all subjects, to suggest a student repeat a grade if they fall below 80% is just not believable.

Once again change schools.

Move into Edmonton if you seriously believe the problem is system wide, it's not that far to commute to St. Albert.
All the school in the area say to get into Uni they need 80-90% because that is what the Unis want.They are results driven .
Old Dec 9th 2010, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by siouxie
Again, you chose the school - you can easily choose another school where children do socialize other than at organised activities. If the amount of schoolwork is too much (to attain an 80% average) then send him to an outreach school (50 Sir Winston Churchill Ave. St. Albert, Alberta) where kids learn at their own pace. ( http://outreach.spschools.org/ - Outreach High School is an alternative school with special qualities to offer students. Outreach accounts for different learning styles, and allows students to learn at their own pace. It offers a flexible and friendly environment in which students work independently on their studies but have the support of knowledgeable teachers) Another alternative could be http://www.al.gsacrd.ab.ca/index.php...emid=1&lang=en where they say (in the handbook) that there would be little homework.

Honestly, there are alternatives out there if you wanted to improve his life.

You state that children don't have rights because they attend more than 1 club a night - has it occurred to you maybe the children want to do those activities rather than the parents making them? You are seeing everything in a negative way instead of rationalizing.

You say you came here to give your son opportunities but have you actually explored the outdoors life yet? Been anywhere? Done anything? If you had then you would realise that it is a great opportunity your son has.

There is no ideal life - because life is what you make of it. You have to want it to begin with, of course, which I get the impression you don't.

Perhaps your unhappiness with Canada has affected your son too.

Canada is great... for most people. My son put his life on hold for 5 years to be here (waiting for processing) and now he is here he couldn't be happier.

I wish you well.
Yes it has occurred to me and as i have stated its not level its amount.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
I hear ya. ST albert sounds like a snobhole.

However could you please stop generalising about "Canadian" schools. You've only experienced one school in St Albert. There are a lot of different provinces, school districts etc. in Canada and lots of different schools. Ta.

BTW, by "better school" what do you mean? Do you mean some Fraser I report says so, or what? Just wondering...
Ye cant generalise but just what others have told me/experienced.But the Principal has said its the same Canada wide, guess he must be spinning me a yarn.
Fraser report puts them high and locals also.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

Read and weep.

Read and weep. --- pointless and not helpful.I know otherwise.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 10:09 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Read and weep.

I'm surprised at you Steve. You should know that a study based on empirical evidence has no credibility when compared to a single persons anecdotal experience.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DandNHill
I'm not going to try to wind you up more than you already are but I would like to comment on the above statement.
You obviously mean by this that English schools cater for the individual needs? I totally disagree. English schools can only teach in one way! I have 4 kids and have experienced over the years several schools in the South of the UK so feel confident in making this statement.

With regards also to the comment you made about getting a job in the UK it is complete rubbish. It is almost impossible to get a job over here. I have been lucky and I am moving to another job through nepotism. The company I am leaving is advertising for my replacement and another role. It is so sad that some very experienced and capable people are applying for a role which is so obviously below them but they are trying everything to get something, anything! And the majority of those applying are unemployed at the moment!

So please for all your sakes take off the rose tinted glasses. Make sure that you don't come back to the UK to join the ranks of the unemployed and also will you even be able to get your son back into the school he was in? Otherwise it will be another new beginning for him and on top of that he will have 5 months work to catch up on!

Good luck!
English schools shouldn't be teaching in one way.The area that I came from, that did not happen otherwise ofsted would put them in special status.
Already have several leads for jobs with one or two being real possibilities, anyway I know I will get work eventually and money isn't above our happiness.
The rose tinted glasses have come off but looking at Canada.My OH got transferred and it SOLD to us, don't get me wrong I did plenty of research and even a reccie, but it hasn't worked.
Can get son back into same school, its sorted.
Thank you for the luck I know I will need some.Also thank you for everyone's opinions, I certainly didn't think it would get this much attention.BUT We have tried and realise where our priorities lie.
As for the bored housewife, frustrated and not been able to get a Teaching post, I was well aware of the situation.Intelligent enough to know that I have this free time,and use it constructively, like stroking fluffy kittens and knitting.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

Read and weep. --- pointless and not helpful.I know otherwise.
I'm confused... are you trying to say that your limited experience is more accurate than the data gathered by the 2009 Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA)? If you are not happy in Canada that is fair enough, if you have issues with your child's school that is also fair enough, but making a claim like that is ludicrous, and any remotely educated person would know that. Cognitive science tells us that it is a human trait to extrapolate from our own observations and believe that something is true because it is what we have experienced, but unfortunately this is most often not the case.

It would be interesting to know what your son and husband think? It is a shame if it has been a wasted effort, and I hope in the future you can look back on it as an adventure rather than a disappointment. I wish you the best of luck!
Old Dec 9th 2010, 10:13 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I'm surprised at you Steve. You should know that a study based on empirical evidence has no credibility when compared to a single persons anecdotal experience.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

neolight90 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by taichiiqueen
Not to the extent it takes over.
Surely only homework in the week and not really at the weekends?

Takes over hanging out would be a good thing no?

I know what you mean about balance though that its good for them to be social but surely it cant be that bad that they never have any time to do anything, like play ice hockey with friends or what not?
Old Dec 9th 2010, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
You are very argmentative in your replies, I would suggest your son isn't in one of the better schools if they are not listening to the parents concerns (how old is your son). For what reason did you emigrate in the first place? It is seeming like you did it on a bit of a whim, 5 months really isn't long enough to settle anywhere - it's taken me longer to settle in an new town in the UK to settle somewhere to to think 5 months is realistic in a completely different country is nuts.

You certainly don't want to listen to any one elses point of view or even fact. A 50% grade average passes the grade, as SteveP said 80% is Honors, a school cannot accept this as the norm. You have spent a lot of money in moving to St Albert, you have spent a lot of emotion on moving, you will spend even more moving back when you haven't really given it a chance, you obviously hate it here - did you do a reccy? Just interested. I think the school situation is an excuse as you are not happy and want to give up. It is hard work to make a new life in a new country and you have to be committed.

Saying that we have all done things that we have regretted the moment it happens and wish we could turn back time, your one is a huge one though and I'm sure(?) you have given it lots of thought.
Determined is a more polite way of putting it.Did a reccie.School isnt the only factor here , the reason we came was to get a better life for our son.Its not happening, he is depressed( at 12 may I add) and I cant see it improving.We just dont fit into this way of living.

But on a positive side will have family network again, friends with a sense of humour and we tried things we haven't before, but then I can go on holiday for that.
Theres no way round it we're not conservative enough and don't fit in.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 10:20 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izzi81
Cognitive science tells us that it is a human trait to extrapolate from our own observations and believe that something is true because it is what we have experienced, but unfortunately this is most often not the case.

It would be interesting to know what your son and husband think? It is a shame if it has been a wasted effort, and I hope in the future you can look back on it as an adventure rather than a disappointment. I wish you the best of luck!
I'm with taichi on the reccie issue. It's easy to blame a disappointed expat for 'not researching enough' but I call bs on the idea that you can ever really know what it's like to live somewhere else until you actually do it. A recce visit is just that, a visit. It's not a guarantee of anything (imo). In fact I think you can overanalyze and get too rational about stuff like this...you never know when the emotional side is going to catch up and have a different POV.

I mean, I'm happy in Canada and all, but it's not like it's the Utopia of the World. I get it when tai says she doesn't like it. She doesn't like it. It's okay. She may well just be experiencing culture shock etc. etc. or maybe it's really not for her. No way of knowing.

Now, if she would just shut up about the schools...
Old Dec 9th 2010, 10:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by taichiiqueen
All the school in the area say to get into Uni they need 80-90% because that is what the Unis want.They are results driven .
I wasn't going to join in but I have to remark on this comment:

Yes - when the kids are doing the subjects towards their High School Diploma - then yes, higher grades will of course work well towards applications for further education.

Surely this is the same for A levels where an A* is ten a penny

At 12 years old, he doesn't need to get 80%+ in everything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.