Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Serious about going back

Serious about going back

Old Dec 9th 2010, 7:07 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Serious about going back

I honestly think you are generalising. Don't judge Canada on the school he is in and the attitude of the principal. It was your choice to put him into that school (that's what research is all about) and it could just as easily be your choice to find a different one where he will fit in and feel comfortable.

"Regular kids" generally have a great social life, do activities that they are interested in (and by the way, hockey is a way of life here and continues to be where kids mix with the same group for years and then as adults). Hockey "clubs" (we call them leagues) are the easiest way to become part of the community - they are certainly not elitist in any way shape or form. Most children I know have friends who they hang out with, friends they play sports with, go to bbq's with their parents, go out for dinner with their parents etc. Regular kids are just that - regular! They are not controlled zombies.

You keep saying "over here...." well, again, you are generalising and the vast majority of people want to spend as much time with their children as possible. Yes, they encourage their children to take part in activities but if you had ever been to a hockey league game, a baseball game or anything similar you would have seen parents galore supporting their children!

If you had chosen a different neighborhood to live, had chosed a different school for your son I think you would be feeling a lot different.

You have obviously made your mind up and have decided that everything to do with Canada is horrendous, despite the evidence to the contrary.

What a shame - "this country" happens to be a great one.

Good luck.

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 9th 2010 at 7:15 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 7:15 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by taichiiqueen
As a Teacher I certainly understand and that's why we are going back.I understand childhood psychology etc.This country doesn't, the Principal even said that children don't get to be children.No its not just our son, although that killed it.I prefer people with a sense of humour, and a thousand other things.UK -The economy is what you make it, you want a job you get it through sheer hard work.
I think other posters here have shown you that your son's school is not the norm. Maintaining that this is your main reason to return to the UK is to ignore their greater experience and good, supportive advice.
If you are not interested in looking for solutions for the issues you have in Canada (even when others with experience tell you there are better places where your son might be much happier), then fine. If you don't like Canada, make the decision to go home by all means, but don't hang it on your son is all I am saying.
Assessment procedure in UK schools at Primary is an OFSTED-appeasement exercise that has no benefit for children at all (and I am currently in the business!). Canadian schools are not behind the UK.
As for the UK economy and job market, no, it isn't what you make it.That is naive. There are a lot of good people without work or facing redundancy here who would attest to that.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

taichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I am also puzzled on the levels of homework. Taichiiqueen, how old is your son? I believe to pass the grade you have to have an average of 50% - that would be a kid that struggles really (imo).

My kid, 15, grade 10 is doing SOME IB subjects - she found full IB a bit much with some of her other issues she is having so chose to cut down - saying that she has just switched from a regular subject next semester to IB Japanese - I really can't help on that one if she gets stuck Anyway - she gets very little homework, quite often it's just finishing off what she didn't manage in class or reading. I do believe she could put a little more effort in, especially revising at exam time but that's just me (and her Dad).

We do see kids playing in the streets, the ice skate rink is not used too often, I think parents rely on organised activities around here, if you have a boy then it seems to be imperative that they go to hockey school, they all seem to want the next mega famous hockey player in the family, girls do dance. It does amaze me how much time some parents spend going here and there dropping kids off one place picking up at another to drop off at another a little like a status symbol I suppose, my kid is in a,b and c! What's yours in?

Anyway, you know if this whole thing is going to work for you, I remember being on cloud nine for the first 3.5 years, the last 9 months or so I have been wondering if it was all really worth it - the goal posts we were aiming for have moved drastically and I have given up, if I knew it would be like this I would have stayed where I was BUT I do love living here, it's just the circumstance I don't like.
My sons school expects 80% + and that goes for the whole of St Albert, and its not the level of work, they are 2 years behind the UK, its the amount.My son was on cloud nine to begin with he loved his new friends,no uniform etc. Then realised that the friends he made at school he was only going to see them there unless he joined several clubs.One or two a week maybe but a lot have 2 each night.OMG,unbelievable,they are children. Children's rights don't even come into it.

I am getting out now whilst the links at home are still fresh and we can pick up our old life.We came here because we wanted to, not because we had to.We both had jobs and thought that the outdoor life and supposed more opportunities would be better for our son.How wrong was I, at least I can admit I was wrong for the benefit of my child; and not try and live some ideal life because that is how it is sold, its Canada it must be great.NOT
Old Dec 9th 2010, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

taichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by helcat12
I think other posters here have shown you that your son's school is not the norm. Maintaining that this is your main reason to return to the UK is to ignore their greater experience and good, supportive advice.
If you are not interested in looking for solutions for the issues you have in Canada (even when others with experience tell you there are better places where your son might be much happier), then fine. If you don't like Canada, make the decision to go home by all means, but don't hang it on your son is all I am saying.
Assessment procedure in UK schools at Primary is an OFSTED-appeasement exercise that has no benefit for children at all (and I am currently in the business!). Canadian schools are not behind the UK.
As for the UK economy and job market, no, it isn't what you make it.That is naive. There are a lot of good people without work or facing redundancy here who would attest to that.
I know its St Albert wide and not just my sons school.
I am not putting it all on my son -read previous post to find that out.
I know all about assessment procedures in the UK and ofsted thank you very much.Teaching in the top 10% tends to do that to a person.So wouldn't you think that I am for more education and striving for greatness;a good school can balance it.Ofsted is there for the parents and nothing else.The higher standards are certainly better for the children and with a new flexible approach to the curriculum, even better.Canadian schools are behind they are working two years behind.AND they don't teach to the individual needs they teach on mass.BTW, this is one of the better schools.

Its no wonder the country has gone to pieces when we keep knocking,the one thing I will say for Canada, they know how to stand by their own. patriotism would go a long way, with some people.

So you are not actually here,try the boat then tell ya story.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 7:39 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

My sons school expects 80% + and that goes for the whole of St Albert, and its not the level of work, they are 2 years behind the UK, its the amount.My son was on cloud nine to begin with he loved his new friends,no uniform etc. Then realised that the friends he made at school he was only going to see them there unless he joined several clubs.One or two a week maybe but a lot have 2 each night.OMG,unbelievable,they are children. Children's rights don't even come into it.

I am getting out now whilst the links at home are still fresh and we can pick up our old life.We came here because we wanted to, not because we had to.We both had jobs and thought that the outdoor life and supposed more opportunities would be better for our son.How wrong was I, at least I can admit I was wrong for the benefit of my child; and not try and live some ideal life because that is how it is sold, its Canada it must be great.NOT
80% + is honors so I suggest it is totally unreasonable to expect this to be a pass mark in any school.

Alberta Education mandates 50% is the pass mark in all subjects, to suggest a student repeat a grade if they fall below 80% is just not believable.

Once again change schools.

Move into Edmonton if you seriously believe the problem is system wide, it's not that far to commute to St. Albert.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 7:46 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Again, you chose the school - you can easily choose another school where children do socialize other than at organised activities. If the amount of schoolwork is too much (to attain an 80% average) then send him to an outreach school (50 Sir Winston Churchill Ave. St. Albert, Alberta) where kids learn at their own pace. ( http://outreach.spschools.org/ - Outreach High School is an alternative school with special qualities to offer students. Outreach accounts for different learning styles, and allows students to learn at their own pace. It offers a flexible and friendly environment in which students work independently on their studies but have the support of knowledgeable teachers) Another alternative could be http://www.al.gsacrd.ab.ca/index.php...emid=1&lang=en where they say (in the handbook) that there would be little homework.

Honestly, there are alternatives out there if you wanted to improve his life.

You state that children don't have rights because they attend more than 1 club a night - has it occurred to you maybe the children want to do those activities rather than the parents making them? You are seeing everything in a negative way instead of rationalizing.

You say you came here to give your son opportunities but have you actually explored the outdoors life yet? Been anywhere? Done anything? If you had then you would realise that it is a great opportunity your son has.

There is no ideal life - because life is what you make of it. You have to want it to begin with, of course, which I get the impression you don't.

Perhaps your unhappiness with Canada has affected your son too.

Canada is great... for most people. My son put his life on hold for 5 years to be here (waiting for processing) and now he is here he couldn't be happier.

I wish you well.

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 9th 2010 at 8:20 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 7:52 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I know its St Albert wide and not just my sons school.
I am not putting it all on my son -read previous post to find that out.
I know all about assessment procedures in the UK and ofsted thank you very much.Teaching in the top 10% tends to do that to a person.So wouldn't you think that I am for more education and striving for greatness;a good school can balance it.Ofsted is there for the parents and nothing else.The higher standards are certainly better for the children and with a new flexible approach to the curriculum, even better.Canadian schools are behind they are working two years behind.AND they don't teach to the individual needs they teach on mass.BTW, this is one of the better schools.

Its no wonder the country has gone to pieces when we keep knocking,the one thing I will say for Canada, they know how to stand by their own. patriotism would go a long way, with some people.

So you are not actually here,try the boat then tell ya story.
I hear ya. ST albert sounds like a snobhole.

However could you please stop generalising about "Canadian" schools. You've only experienced one school in St Albert. There are a lot of different provinces, school districts etc. in Canada and lots of different schools. Ta.

BTW, by "better school" what do you mean? Do you mean some Fraser I report says so, or what? Just wondering...
Old Dec 9th 2010, 8:04 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Two years behind you say.

Read and weep.

http://www.alberta.ca/acn/201012/296...054CA4138.html
Old Dec 9th 2010, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Canadian schools are behind they are working two years behind.AND they don't teach to the individual needs they teach on mass.BTW, this is one of the better schools.
I'm not going to try to wind you up more than you already are but I would like to comment on the above statement.
You obviously mean by this that English schools cater for the individual needs? I totally disagree. English schools can only teach in one way! I have 4 kids and have experienced over the years several schools in the South of the UK so feel confident in making this statement.

With regards also to the comment you made about getting a job in the UK it is complete rubbish. It is almost impossible to get a job over here. I have been lucky and I am moving to another job through nepotism. The company I am leaving is advertising for my replacement and another role. It is so sad that some very experienced and capable people are applying for a role which is so obviously below them but they are trying everything to get something, anything! And the majority of those applying are unemployed at the moment!

So please for all your sakes take off the rose tinted glasses. Make sure that you don't come back to the UK to join the ranks of the unemployed and also will you even be able to get your son back into the school he was in? Otherwise it will be another new beginning for him and on top of that he will have 5 months work to catch up on!

Good luck!
Old Dec 9th 2010, 8:12 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

You are very argmentative in your replies, I would suggest your son isn't in one of the better schools if they are not listening to the parents concerns (how old is your son). For what reason did you emigrate in the first place? It is seeming like you did it on a bit of a whim, 5 months really isn't long enough to settle anywhere - it's taken me longer to settle in an new town in the UK to settle somewhere to to think 5 months is realistic in a completely different country is nuts.

You certainly don't want to listen to any one elses point of view or even fact. A 50% grade average passes the grade, as SteveP said 80% is Honors, a school cannot accept this as the norm. You have spent a lot of money in moving to St Albert, you have spent a lot of emotion on moving, you will spend even more moving back when you haven't really given it a chance, you obviously hate it here - did you do a reccy? Just interested. I think the school situation is an excuse as you are not happy and want to give up. It is hard work to make a new life in a new country and you have to be committed.

Saying that we have all done things that we have regretted the moment it happens and wish we could turn back time, your one is a huge one though and I'm sure(?) you have given it lots of thought.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 8:24 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Two years behind you say.

Read and weep.

http://www.alberta.ca/acn/201012/296...054CA4138.html

http://www.pisa.oecd.org/dataoecd/31/28/46660259.pdf links to the actual findings ... UK is 18 places below Canada in maths, 19 below Canada in reading and 8 below Canada in Science.

Full Canadian comparative listings, including provinces: http://www.cmec.ca/Publications/List...can-report.pdf - the tables at the end show Alberta students are excelling.

Go figure.

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 9th 2010 at 8:36 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 8:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect the real reason for wanting to move back is to be employed. A teacher in the UK can find a job anywhere, a foreign trained teacher trying to establish themself in Canada is going to find things a little tough.

Like Steve_P, I call bullshit on much of what the OP has written, but then, I don`t have an axe to grind.

I wish the OP the very best with whatever she decides.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 8:57 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I suspect the real reason for wanting to move back is to be employed. A teacher in the UK can find a job anywhere, a foreign trained teacher trying to establish themself in Canada is going to find things a little tough.

Like Steve_P, I call bullshit on much of what the OP has written, but then, I don`t have an axe to grind.

I wish the OP the very best with whatever she decides.
Looks like a classic case of culture shock and a mother with too much time on her hands who hasn't developed a new role for herself after the move. The kid is a kid - clip him around the back of the ear and he'll get on with it, the kids normally adapt pretty well to the new way of life, the unemployed partners not so much.

Five months is not enough time. It just isn't. The OP had already decided before posting that she wanted to uproot her husband and child again and head back.

One positive note is that, whilst 5 months is not enough time to get through the whole culture shock process, the OP (& hopefully the rest of the family) will head back to the UK with a renewed vigour & respect for the UK and that can be a positive for them when living there.

That is if they don't ping-pong

OP - good luck, just because most of the posters don't agree with the sweeping generalizations you are using to make yourself feel like you are making the correct decision, don't forget they're taking the time and effort to post and give you the benefits of their experience having already been where you are now.

Before you head back, take a week's vacation in Vancouver and environs.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

Juliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the rough

taichiiqueen

Please do not judge the entire Canadian education system on your son's experience. Your assessment of the Canadian education system is inaccurate and misleading. Assessment is both formative and summative!! Schools are generally inclusive. Remember education is provincial so there is no point talking about a Canadian system.
I have taught in both the British and the Canadian system. Both have the benefits and drawbacks. I have not seen the 2 year gap that you are talking about. The international tables would also support that. Students in the UK start earlier; however Canadian students do catch up!

I am sorry to hear that you are having a tough time. Hopefully when you get your Canadian teaching certifications you will have a better understanding of the education system. I do believe that Alberta requires a Masters degree to teach, but I may be wrong.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

5 months isn't enough - not even close. I've moved around a bit (UK - Canada - UK - US) and I was always determined to give every move at least a year. After 7 years in Canada we moved back to the UK for 2 years before realizing we'd made a mistake and that North America was a better place for the kids. We moved to the US and have been here almost 13 years. Never say never but I can't see me ever living in the UK again. I'm glad I did move back there for a couple of years as I got that out of my system.

You may just be in a bad situation at the moment but don't judge the whole country by your situation. I'd give it at least until the summer when it will be easier to make the move (less disruption for the kids in terms of switching schools etc.) Meanwhile, try to change your personal situation and give Canada a chance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.