Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Serious about going back

Serious about going back

Old Dec 9th 2010, 10:22 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Serious about going back

Originally Posted by neolight90
Surely only homework in the week and not really at the weekends?

Takes over hanging out would be a good thing no?

I know what you mean about balance though that its good for them to be social but surely it cant be that bad that they never have any time to do anything, like play ice hockey with friends or what not?
It depends where you are but there are def. neighbourhoods like that here too where the emphasis is on study etc. and not sport or free play. It can be lonely if you're not that kind of family/kid.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

taichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by izzi81
I'm confused... are you trying to say that your limited experience is more accurate than the data gathered by the 2009 Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA)? If you are not happy in Canada that is fair enough, if you have issues with your child's school that is also fair enough, but making a claim like that is ludicrous, and any remotely educated person would know that. Cognitive science tells us that it is a human trait to extrapolate from our own observations and believe that something is true because it is what we have experienced, but unfortunately this is most often not the case.

It would be interesting to know what your son and husband think? It is a shame if it has been a wasted effort, and I hope in the future you can look back on it as an adventure rather than a disappointment. I wish you the best of luck!
The reason we are going back is because of them two, not me.I am prepared to stick it out till the Summer.Seeing a 12 yr old not pick up his guitar for 3 weeks when it was his right arm, sit on his bed in his room when hes not doing homework, and crying at all hours is not what I came here for.I have tried to reassure and support as every good parent would, enrolled him classes and offered his friends round for sleepovers etc. Anyone who is a parent knows there has to be a cut off point and say enough is enough.I am not going to let it get to the stage where he is so depressed he needs medication, just so I can say I'm giving it a go.We only have one life, its too short to waste a few years being like this.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

taichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ann m
I wasn't going to join in but I have to remark on this comment:

Yes - when the kids are doing the subjects towards their High School Diploma - then yes, higher grades will of course work well towards applications for further education.

Surely this is the same for A levels where an A* is ten a penny

At 12 years old, he doesn't need to get 80%+ in everything.
I have been told that is what he needs to pass grade 7,by the Principal

Old Dec 9th 2010, 10:41 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by taichiiqueen

...and as an educator yourself you actually believe this totally insane comment?

Do some research for goodness sake and your sons.

http://education.alberta.ca/

http://education.alberta.ca/admin/te...standards.aspx
Old Dec 9th 2010, 10:45 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Read and weep. --- pointless and not helpful.I know otherwise.
Unbelievable arrogance and conceit.

I truly hope you find happiness back in the UK.

You can't leave Canada fast enough as far as I'm concerned.

Goodbye.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 10:50 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Having now read through this whole thread and watched the attitude degrade ( as well as the punctuation ) I say best of luck back in blighty, don't let the door....
Old Dec 9th 2010, 10:55 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

English schools shouldn't be teaching in one way.The area that I came from, that did not happen otherwise ofsted would put them in special status.
Already have several leads for jobs with one or two being real possibilities, anyway I know I will get work eventually and money isn't above our happiness.
The rose tinted glasses have come off but looking at Canada.My OH got transferred and it SOLD to us, don't get me wrong I did plenty of research and even a reccie, but it hasn't worked.
Can get son back into same school, its sorted.
Thank you for the luck I know I will need some.Also thank you for everyone's opinions, I certainly didn't think it would get this much attention.BUT We have tried and realise where our priorities lie.
As for the bored housewife, frustrated and not been able to get a Teaching post, I was well aware of the situation.Intelligent enough to know that I have this free time,and use it constructively, like stroking fluffy kittens and knitting.
As it was a transfer, I am thinking the idea was given to you to move rather than it being a big ambition/desire to live in Canada, you tried it, not what you want, you got here an easier way than lots and probably got transfer money too, easier to give up - less to lose than others I suppose.

Determined is a more polite way of putting it.Did a reccie.School isnt the only factor here , the reason we came was to get a better life for our son.Its not happening, he is depressed( at 12 may I add) and I cant see it improving.We just dont fit into this way of living.

But on a positive side will have family network again, friends with a sense of humour and we tried things we haven't before, but then I can go on holiday for that.
Theres no way round it we're not conservative enough and don't fit in.
I'm thinking your son has always thought that going back is on the cards. When my daughter went upto high school, she had some big problems, with some of the kids/lessons. Grade 9 was a bit of a 'mare and my happy go lucky kid dissappeared. we discussed moving schools - what ANY parent would do if your kid was unhappy. She didn't want to move schools, she is on anti depressants, which does distress me but it's not all Canadas fault, it's not all the schools fault (most of the problems came from a re-emergence of a biological idiot). I would say if your son is showing signs of depression as you state then the sooner he gets medical help the better, depression doesn't just go away, wherever you are.

That's rubbish, seriously do you really beleive it, he may need 80% to pass honors but the pass mark for the grade is 50%, obviously the higher his exam grades when graduating will help him get into the university course of his choice but like anywhere else, if he doesn't meet the grade then there are foundation courses/upgrading he can do. I've a feeling you pressure your son into getting higher grades.

Anyway, sincerely very best of luck with your move back, I hope it goes smoothly for you. At least you've worked out Canada isn't your Utopia
Old Dec 9th 2010, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
As it was a transfer, I am thinking the idea was given to you to move rather than it being a big ambition/desire to live in Canada, you tried it, not what you want, you got here an easier way than lots and probably got transfer money too, easier to give up - less to lose than others I suppose.

I'm thinking your son has always thought that going back is on the cards. When my daughter went upto high school, she had some big problems, with some of the kids/lessons. Grade 9 was a bit of a 'mare and my happy go lucky kid dissappeared. we discussed moving schools - what ANY parent would do if your kid was unhappy. She didn't want to move schools, she is on anti depressants, which does distress me but it's not all Canadas fault, it's not all the schools fault (most of the problems came from a re-emergence of a biological idiot). I would say if your son is showing signs of depression as you state then the sooner he gets medical help the better, depression doesn't just go away, wherever you are.

That's rubbish, seriously do you really beleive it, he may need 80% to pass honors but the pass mark for the grade is 50%, obviously the higher his exam grades when graduating will help him get into the university course of his choice but like anywhere else, if he doesn't meet the grade then there are foundation courses/upgrading he can do. I've a feeling you pressure your son into getting higher grades.

Anyway, sincerely very best of luck with your move back, I hope it goes smoothly for you. At least you've worked out Canada isn't your Utopia
(most of the problems came from a re-emergence of a biological idiot0.My son doesnt have that problem, he has a problem with the lifestyle here and school, he just misses his life in the UK.

Anyway, you all obviously have made it work , and you are lucky with that.So before this gets any sillier, thankyou, its appreciated it has put things even more into perspective for me, i am now busy packing.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 11:04 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

(most of the problems came from a re-emergence of a biological idiot0.My son doesnt have that problem, he has a problem with the lifestyle here and school, he just misses his life in the UK.

Anyway, you all obviously have made it work , and you are lucky with that.So before this gets any sillier, thankyou, its appreciated it has put things even more into perspective for me, i am now busy packing.
And hopefully seeking medical help for your son
Old Dec 9th 2010, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

Poolsadie will become famous soon enoughPoolsadie will become famous soon enough

To have your choice of University you have to look at 80% pass rate in the last two years of school (grades 11 and 12) I am astonished the discussions have been about a grade 7 student!!! My daughter is aiming at Guelph Uni for becoming a Vet......she is grade 7 and a mostly A and B student, she is never pressured at age 12 by school or home to do any better than that - Blimey she isn't even in High School yet!!

Again...Good Luck back in the UK, hope you don't regret doing more research before going.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 11:36 pm

zRichi is an unknown quantity at this point

Never underestimate the pettiness on your average emigration forum.

Some of you i actually believe, monitor this forum waiting to get your cloven hoofs into someone that's obviously vulnerable. Suppose, as long as you follow it up with its just forum banter its all ok.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 12:49 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

There's much to be said in favour of moving back as the OP says while the ties are still there. I see no reason to sit it out waiting in case it gets better when you know you can make life better for your child by moving back home.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 10:13 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

(My son doesnt have that problem, he has a problem with the lifestyle here and school, he just misses his life in the UK.

Genuinely sorry the experience hasn't worked out for you as a family. Not everybody is suited to a life in Canada. My brother and his family lives in New Zealand and love it; our mother lives in France and loves it. I personally don't want to live in either place. For our family, Canada will do just fine. For yours, it sounds like North Yorkshire will do just fine.

I hope the move home will end your son's unhappiness and you all find again whatever it is that your previous life had that Alberta hasn't.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Just curious...what did your son think about moving to Canada BEFORE you moved there? Was there any indication that he didn't want to leave the UK? Did you visit Canada before the move?
Old Dec 10th 2010, 11:47 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poolsadie
My daughter is aiming at Guelph Uni for becoming a Vet......she is grade 7 and a mostly A and B student, she is never pressured at age 12 by school or home to do any better than that - Blimey she isn't even in High School yet!!
Guelph? Vet? Age 12? And a girl to boot? I hope she's already the star of her 4H club and a riding instructor, when she's not leading sessions at the Mathletes club. It's a bit competitive, entrance to that course.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.