Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Security threats!!!

Security threats!!!

Old Aug 10th 2006, 5:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Security threats!!!

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I thought you'd given up.
I try not to let on.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 5:05 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lees147
You are totally missing the point i am a safety critical worker which means that anything i do wrong can kill people.
Do you drive a bus ?
Old Aug 10th 2006, 5:06 pm
Banned

Lees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dbd33
Do you drive a bus ?
No i design signalling systems to stop 1 train colliding with another
Old Aug 10th 2006, 5:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

No i design signalling systems to stop 1 train colliding with another
Oh. Don't trains in England collide killing masses of commuters ? I saw something about that on the news. I'd be very worried about taking a train in England if I were you.

Here, http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/465475.stm

Which is safer, a train in the UK or a plane across the Atlantic ?

Last edited by dbd33; Aug 10th 2006 at 5:12 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 5:13 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh. Don't trains in England collide killing masses of commuters ? I saw something about that on the news. I'd be very worried about taking a train in England if I were you.
This is, of course, something we don't have to worry about in Canada too much. There are only two trains; and only one crew. The chances of a collision are thus rather remote.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 5:13 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

You are totally missing the point i am a safety critical worker which means that anything i do wrong can kill people.

This is not to say that every thing i do is 'perfect' but we will always take the safest option and 'airlines' are the same. The airlines have to ensure that they can do nothing more to protect your safety. If they say to you 'we think taking an aerosol can be dangerous' you are not allowed it. It's not about 'letting the terrorist win'. It's just saying that if we take this action it will prevent this from happening.

If the terrorist can not terrorise then they can not 'win'.

I dont follow. I thought the discussion was about whether there are any legitimate grounds to be afraid to fly due to the threat of terrorist actions, not whether life is possible without a laptop in the cabin.

It will never be 100% safe, and as long as people live there life in fear, IMO the terrorists are winning. Frankly I'm not to impressed with the various governments actions to heighten this paranoia with all this red alert, orange alert bullshit and the enormous sensational media coverage either, its just oxygen to the terrorists cause.

Last edited by iaink; Aug 10th 2006 at 5:19 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 5:14 pm
Banned

Lees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud of

Believe it!!!

With trains you sacrifice reliability for safety.

My train is delayed every day pretty much but like I said I would rather come home late than not at all.

Much to my point I would rather not have a laptop for 10 hours than (potentially) someone attacking me somehow.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 5:16 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

If that level of risk panics you you had best avoid bicycling, use of power tools, barbecuing and, at all costs, sex.
Especially all at the same time. Believe you me.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 5:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Believe it!!!

My train is delayed every day pretty much but like I said I would rather come home late than not at all.

Much to my point I would rather not have a laptop for 10 hours than (potentially) someone attacking me somehow.
If you look at the link above you will see that a slow, or stationary, train is not safer than a moving one. It's non-moving trains that moving ones crash into.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 5:19 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Believe it!!!

I am not worried about having a laptop while in the air. I never use the thing while flying. I'm more concerned about not having a laptop at all when I get off the plane because a baggage handler has nicked it from my unlocked suitcase. The point I was trying to make is that restrictions like this will make business travellers think twice before deciding on a trip.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 5:20 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I am not worried about having a laptop while in the air. I never use the thing while flying. I'm more concerned about not having a laptop at all when I get off the plane because a baggage handler has nicked it from my unlocked suitcase. The point I was trying to make is that restrictions like this will make business travellers think twice before deciding on a trip.
FedEx it to your hotel. It will probably get there before you do anyway.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 5:24 pm
Banned

Listen we do not need to go into how Signalling works. Like I said if you increase security then people don't need to be worried by what threat terrorists possess and the thing that they are proposing is you lose 'some' of your hand luggage.

I'm not saying risk is high i am just saying that it happens.

You learn from experiance. normally you need to sacrifice something to achieve a greater gain all i am saying is that if you make a sacrifice for the duration of your flight then people would be less worried and ultimately we can stop the reporters from using the scare mongering techniques.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 5:29 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Unicycles and hot coffee are an inadvisable mixture, as are wifebeaters and strong midday sun.

I also advise against tackling a tree-bound porcupine at the dead of night wearing just slippers and a losely hung dressing gown.

Rich.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 5:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond repute

If the hold is a safe place to carry our hand-luggage maybe I should all sit down there and still have my laptop
Don't react to the Bastards that's what they want, the wrinklies showed us how to act in the Blitz so take a leaf out of their book and carry on regardless.
Stuarty
Old Aug 10th 2006, 5:32 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Listen we do not need to go into how Signalling works. Like I said if you increase security then people don't need to be worried by what threat terrorists possess and the thing that they are proposing is you lose 'some' of your hand luggage.

I'm not saying risk is high i am just saying that it happens.

You learn from experiance. normally you need to sacrifice something to achieve a greater gain all i am saying is that if you make a sacrifice for the duration of your flight then people would be less worried and ultimately we can stop the reporters from using the scare mongering techniques.
Where I was going with the UK train wrecks is that, although the news coverage makes taking a train look a dangerous adventure, it's probably not. The same is true of aeroplanes and terrorists. What's odd is that you seem to think trains reasonably safe, you travel on one (perhaps with a computer) but fear aeroplanes. I don't see why you should allow news coverage to worry you about one but not the other.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.