Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Security threats!!!

Security threats!!!

Old Aug 10th 2006, 4:26 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Security threats!!!

If the restrictions that have been put in place today are kept, or made even tighter, we'll be seeing some major changes in the airline industry. My boss made the point to me this morning. She is due to fly from London to San Diego in the near future, to attend a conference. Her view is that: "if I'm expected to sit all that time without a book to read, I may just say stuff it". Duplicate that across the business-traveller community - which is where the airlines make their money - and you're looking at way more expensive tickets at the back of the bus.

Looking at it from my own point of view, I have made a couple of trips to the US in the last month or so. Things I took with me, that I absolutely needed, included a cell phone a laptop and, on the last occasion, some highly confidential paperwork. Am I going to put that stuff in a suitcase that I'm not allowed to lock? I think not.

Video-conferencing, anyone?
Old Aug 10th 2006, 4:27 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercedes
I fly every week or two, so my chances are probably alot higher on the flight angle. I also drive alot so my chances are higher there, only had 3 in my life and they were in the last 5 years. Only one recently.

Death doesn't actually bother me, as long as its quick, the thought of being badly maimed or ending up a vegetable, is more of a concern.
No, your odds are still one in a million, the odds per flight dont change the more you fly. You just carry a higher overall risk than us earthbound people, but your odds are still tiny. Besides, as plane crashed tend to be a lot more fatal then car crashes, I would be more worried about driving if I were you

This is without doubt one of the oddest threads Ive seen here. Of course current events arent going to make any difference to anyones application. Unless you are one of the plotters, in which cae your criminal record check might become a problem.

People have all sorts of irrational fears. The fact that the odds are extremely slight that an airbourn incident will happen for real doesnt negate the fact that the fear is for real.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 4:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lees147
At the end of the day I would rather not get blown up I don't give a sh*t about whether the risk is high or not if you were planning to fly to america this week just considor yourself *****ing lucky because they believe 10 planes were targeted thats 2000 people! This is also assuming that the damn plane don't land on anybody.

I aint afraid of flying but at the same time I can see the requirement to improve security that ugly woman who asks you 'did you pack your bags yourself' just doesn't cut it.

Don't forget that today the statistics might be low but whats stopping them from doing this once a week if we don't improve security.
I say, take a Midol, old chap.

I flew to America a fortnight ago. Well, actually we drove to America and then caught a plane across the country. It was nothing to get excited about. After that we drove cars and rode horses; those activities give cause for concern, lots of people get hurt driving and riding, so precautions such as seatbelts and helmets are prudent; people very rarely get hurt flying so it's not proportionate to fuss about it.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 4:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
If the restrictions that have been put in place today are kept, or made even tighter, we'll be seeing some major changes in the airline industry. My boss made the point to me this morning. She is due to fly from London to San Diego in the near future, to attend a conference. Her view is that: "if I'm expected to sit all that time without a book to read, I may just say stuff it". Duplicate that across the business-traveller community - which is where the airlines make their money - and you're looking at way more expensive tickets at the back of the bus.

Looking at it from my own point of view, I have made a couple of trips to the US in the last month or so. Things I took with me, that I absolutely needed, included a cell phone a laptop and, on the last occasion, some highly confidential paperwork. Am I going to put that stuff in a suitcase that I'm not allowed to lock? I think not.

Video-conferencing, anyone?
A lot of this has already happened. I used to fly everywhere but security is now a bother so for 500 miles or less I drive. I suspect this has really hurt the airlines as all those tickets to Chicago, Detroit and Cincinnati were good earners for them.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 4:35 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget that today the statistics might be low but whats stopping them from doing this once a week if we don't improve security.
They could do it once a week and the numbers would still pale into insignificance compared to traffic accident.

No one has been killed today (AFAIK)

Did the terrorists win?

HELL YES they won,

If people like you are now more paranoid or frightened, thats how they win. Stop living in fear, carry on your life as normal and show them that they are not the boss of you. You are more likely to drop dead of a heart attack out of the blue than be a victim of terrorism. Get out there, get on with your life and enjoy it, cos today could be your last day anyway.

F**k the terrorists, I wont let them scare me.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
A lot of this has already happened. I used to fly everywhere but security is now a bother so for 500 miles or less I drive. I suspect this has really hurt the airlines as all those tickets to Chicago, Detroit and Cincinnati were good earners for them.
At $1600 for an Ottawa-Detroit ticket, I'd say they were bloody good earners!
Old Aug 10th 2006, 4:39 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by iaink
They could do it once a week and the numbers would still pale into insignificance compared to traffic accident.

No one has been killed today (AFAIK)

Did the terrorists win?

HELL YES they won,

If people like you are now more paranoid or frightened, thats how they win. Stop living in fear, carry on your life as normal and show them that they are not the boss of you. You are more likely to drop dead of a heart attack out of the blue than be a victim of terrorism. Get out there, get on with your life and enjoy it, cos today could be your last day anyway.

F**k the terrorists, I wont let them scare me.
After 911 there was a phase of about six months during which I flew most weeks. That was a wonderful time; planes were almost empty, airlines valued the passenger's business. Another terrorism chill wouldn't be the worst thing, if prices fell we might take more trips.

<rushes to check price of tickets to London>
Old Aug 10th 2006, 4:47 pm
Banned

Lees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud of

Unfortunately you are one of these people who are blind to the fact that sh*t can happen. I used to smoke and any smokers will tell you "I'm not worried about the risk of lung cancer, It wont happen to me or I might be hit by a bus tomorrow". The fact is It has to happen to someone, you increase the risk by smoking and before you cross a road you take preventative action and look out for buses.

When you drive now there are bumps, cameras and road signs telling you where people crash. You hold a license. All these things are called 'preventative actions'. It doesn't mean you eliminate all the risk but it just makes it safer.

To sacrifice a 'laptop' for 10 hours of your life is not going to make the slightest bit of differance to anyones life whatsoever. But by taking it away you can be increasing security you can make the differance between life and death whether it be by a suicide bomber or just a psycho with a knife.

I'm not saying the risk is high but then whats the point of any safety improvements?
Old Aug 10th 2006, 4:54 pm

After 911 there was a phase of about six months during which I flew most weeks. That was a wonderful time; planes were almost empty, airlines valued the passenger's business. Another terrorism chill wouldn't be the worst thing, if prices fell we might take more trips.

<rushes to check price of tickets to London>
That thought did strike me this morning. Tickets across the pond will be dirt cheap for the next few weeks. After that.........

My main concern at the moment is that my ex-wife (a born panicker) will chicken out of letting our son travel here as an UNMIN in a couple of weeks. She emailed me this morning expressing concern. She is clearly looking for my blessing to cancel. She won't get it.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 4:56 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Unfortunately you are one of these people who are blind to the fact that sh*t can happen. I used to smoke and any smokers will tell you "I'm not worried about the risk of lung cancer, It wont happen to me or I might be hit by a bus tomorrow". The fact is It has to happen to someone, you increase the risk by smoking and before you cross a road you take preventative action and look out for buses.

When you drive now there are bumps, cameras and road signs telling you where people crash. You hold a license. All these things are called 'preventative actions'. It doesn't mean you eliminate all the risk but it just makes it safer.

To sacrifice a 'laptop' for 10 hours of your life is not going to make the slightest bit of differance to anyones life whatsoever. But by taking it away you can be increasing security you can make the differance between life and death whether it be by a suicide bomber or just a psycho with a knife.

I'm not saying the risk is high but then whats the point of any safety improvements?
I'm not sure who this is aimed at but lecturing Souvenir and I about smoking is not a promising way to win an argument.

How come, if you're so concerned about risk, you want to emigrate? Moving is fraught with danger and, besides, Canada has bears and raccoons.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 4:58 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

How come, if you're so concerned about risk, you want to emigrate? Moving is fraught with danger and, besides, Canada has bears and raccoons.
Not to mention ice storms, killer moose, cougars, tornados...the list is almost as long as Australias.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 5:02 pm

I'm not sure who this is aimed at but lecturing Souvenir and I about smoking is not a promising way to win an argument.
I thought you'd given up.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 5:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Souvenir
That thought did strike me this morning. Tickets across the pond will be dirt cheap for the next few weeks. After that.........

My main concern at the moment is that my ex-wife (a born panicker) will chicken out of letting our son travel here as an UNMIN in a couple of weeks. She emailed me this morning expressing concern. She is clearly looking for my blessing to cancel. She won't get it.
Two of my daughters returned (separately) from Europe in the past couple of weeks. It never crossed my mind to think flying was a danger to them, shit, they'd each been bumming around foreign countries hitch-hiking, drinking and generally having a great time for weeks on end. If they were going to get pregnant or dead it wasn't likely to happen on the plane.

Currently the fares for September seem to be about $1,000. I'll wait a couple of days, maybe there'll be better.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 5:03 pm
Banned

Lees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud of

You are totally missing the point i am a safety critical worker which means that anything i do wrong can kill people.

This is not to say that every thing i do is 'perfect' but we will always take the safest option and 'airlines' are the same. The airlines have to ensure that they can do nothing more to protect your safety. If they say to you 'we think taking an aerosol can be dangerous' you are not allowed it. It's not about 'letting the terrorist win'. It's just saying that if we take this action it will prevent this from happening.

If the terrorist can not terrorise then they can not 'win'.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 5:04 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

WE ARE NOT AFRAID!

http://www.werenotafraid.com/images/745/index.html#

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.