Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Second Class Citizen

Second Class Citizen

Old Jun 15th 2019, 9:17 pm
  #31  
A girly swot
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 28,577
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Second Class Citizen

Originally Posted by getoutofbritainquick View Post
Check out the local election stats for Langford - 26000 eligible voters and the Mayor gets in unapposed with 3500 (probably most of his employees) and the councillors around 2000 votes. There is never anyone else to vote for.
That's not what the election results on GlobalNews say.

BristolUK is offline  
Old Jun 15th 2019, 10:28 pm
  #32  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 2,881
scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Second Class Citizen

Originally Posted by getoutofbritainquick View Post
We dont move in any circles with people here and you live in Mill Bay (one of my crew lives there and he has had a terrible time with his neighbours and he's Canadian) which is a large difference to where we live on Bear Mountain. Everything around here is tied to the Mayor and his buddies - I never knew what a thiefdom was until I moved here. If you are not in that circle you dont stand a chance. I have heard and witnessed many horror stories with what goes on here. Check out the local election stats for Langford - 26000 eligible voters and the Mayor gets in unapposed with 3500 (probably most of his employees) and the councillors around 2000 votes. There is never anyone else to vote for. These people are well known in this area for what they are. Nothing more than white trash or below. They have mutilated this place for the benefit of themselves and their friends. They pride themselves with not following rules like any civilised society would its like living in the 19th century.
Victoria is not much better although we do like the Saanich are towards Sydney. We have tried to sell and move there a couple of times as we cannot stand Langford. Yes, the delightful place where the Premier lives! My Canadian neighbour refers to the place as mutant city. I met with a RCMP officer in Langford the other day following a break in to my sub. He had only just moved here from Kelowna and the first thing he said was he regretted moving here becuase of the Municipality.
We tend to spend a lot of time with our friends in the LM or stay in hotels in Victoria every now and again.
I manage all the electrical substations in the area and my stations never used to have any break-ins until the past year. Now it happens almost every week and its getting worse. Drugs and discarded needles everywhere. We have a very large income and not finacially challenged but the cost of living here is a joke. We were planning to retire in Victoria. Now we dislike the place and dont think it justifies the expense - we know quite a few Brits who moved here only to leave a year or so later because they disliked the place. It is like living in a permanent construction zone and looks a mess. For those who are not familiar with VI it is all virtually all socialist NDP with only 1 or 2 Liberal MP's scattered over the Island. There are small pockets of nice areas but mostly its very low end and run down. What has changed our thinking since we have been in Canada is that we prefer being in the States and often spend time over there on road trips and vacations. We find the Americans to be far friendlier and more intelligent than those we meet here.
Like others on this post have said we have found people here not what they claim to be and find them extemely rude both socially and in the work place - I could write a book on what we have experienced. We are very social people but find this place culturally devoid. Everyone to their own but we cant wait to get back to the UK. Hopefully to retire in Devon or Cornwall.

What on earth made you buy on Bear Mountain???

That place has had quite the name since the idea was first promoted years back, went into receivership, and then the development finally got going. It has also always been well over-priced for what it was ...... unless one thought it was going to be exclusive.

I wouldn't have touched it with the proverbial barge pole!

I live in Vancouver, have lots of friends on the Island, mainly in and around Nanaimo or further north .............. nothing you say fits with what I know about the Island, except perhaps the large amount of development going on in Victoria and that you find everywhere these days.

Drug taking and stealing of copper wire and other metals is occurring in many places. Not so much stealing from substations around Vancouver now as the police got to work on the recyclers not to accept metal.

Methinks you got sucked in to a "lifestyle advertising", and fell for it.

I even like the thought that the Provincial Government is NDP, after many years of Liberal finangling and outright political skulldugery! That really harked back to the laughable government of the Social Credit days, which really did reward their friends.


I think you probably will do better in the UK with your attitude!

Last edited by scilly; Jun 15th 2019 at 10:33 pm.
scilly is offline  
Old Jun 15th 2019, 10:45 pm
  #33  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 2,881
scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Second Class Citizen

Originally Posted by getoutofbritainquick View Post
Check out the local election stats for Langford - 26000 eligible voters and the Mayor gets in unapposed with 3500 (probably most of his employees) and the councillors around 2000 votes. There is never anyone else to vote for. These people are well known in this area for what they are. Nothing more than white trash or below.
Bit of honesty here, please ................

Result of the 2018 Municipal Elections .........

Mayoral Candidates (2)5 incumbent councillors were re-elected and there was 1 newcomer elected


from the Victoria Buzz

The Mayor was not elected unopposed.


It is a sad fact of elections that an incumbent has a much better chance than a newcomer to get elected, mainly because people are not willing to pay attention or to read about other candidates. They tick the name they recognise.

Same thing happens in elections all over the world!

Yes, the number of voters was low, but that seems to be the case for most municipalities in BC though Langford was the lowest.

Did you vote?????


scilly is offline  
Old Jun 16th 2019, 5:43 pm
  #34  
"In cruce vincam"
 
rivingtonpike's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Mill Bay, Vancouver Island
Posts: 3,167
rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Second Class Citizen

When you said you lived in Victoria I didn’t realize you meant Langford. Apart from going to do some shopping, it’s not a place I’d choose to live either. Saying that, I’m still surprised you’ve encountered so much aggression and hostility. Nothing but kindness and generosity has been my experience.
rivingtonpike is offline  
Old Jun 18th 2019, 2:31 pm
  #35  
BE Enthusiast
 
getoutofbritainquick's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Victoria
Posts: 562
getoutofbritainquick is just really nicegetoutofbritainquick is just really nicegetoutofbritainquick is just really nicegetoutofbritainquick is just really nicegetoutofbritainquick is just really nicegetoutofbritainquick is just really nicegetoutofbritainquick is just really nicegetoutofbritainquick is just really nicegetoutofbritainquick is just really nicegetoutofbritainquick is just really nicegetoutofbritainquick is just really nice
Default Re: Second Class Citizen

Originally Posted by scilly View Post
Bit of honesty here, please ................

Result of the 2018 Municipal Elections .........

Mayoral Candidates (2)5 incumbent councillors were re-elected and there was 1 newcomer elected


from the Victoria Buzz

The Mayor was not elected unopposed.


It is a sad fact of elections that an incumbent has a much better chance than a newcomer to get elected, mainly because people are not willing to pay attention or to read about other candidates. They tick the name they recognise.

Same thing happens in elections all over the world!

Yes, the number of voters was low, but that seems to be the case for most municipalities in BC though Langford was the lowest.

Did you vote?????
The term unapposed refers to any viable opposition. Normally their is a healthy selection of alternative candidates - their never is in Langford. Thats the third set of 'different' results I have seen for the same election. One of the councillors did resign and was replaced by one of their buddies. We were going to vote but as soon as we reviewed the candidates we didn't both like many in the municpality. It seems some peole living in this area go around with their eyes closed and are totally unaware of their surroundings. Check out WTF Langford to find out a lilttle history of this place. .
getoutofbritainquick is offline  
Old Jun 18th 2019, 2:56 pm
  #36  
BE Enthusiast
 
getoutofbritainquick's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Victoria
Posts: 562
getoutofbritainquick is just really nicegetoutofbritainquick is just really nicegetoutofbritainquick is just really nicegetoutofbritainquick is just really nicegetoutofbritainquick is just really nicegetoutofbritainquick is just really nicegetoutofbritainquick is just really nicegetoutofbritainquick is just really nicegetoutofbritainquick is just really nicegetoutofbritainquick is just really nicegetoutofbritainquick is just really nice
Default Re: Second Class Citizen

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike View Post
When you said you lived in Victoria I didn’t realize you meant Langford. Apart from going to do some shopping, it’s not a place I’d choose to live either. Saying that, I’m still surprised you’ve encountered so much aggression and hostility. Nothing but kindness and generosity has been my experience.
We wished we didnt move to this place and have tried to move several times. We live on a golf resort which has been severley hit by the speculation tax and properties are difficult to sell. My wife and I met an Engineer on the ferry a year or so ago. He lived in Mill Bay had done some work for Langford. He said that they often took short cuts and ignored building codes. I have heard the same stories from work colleagues. When a place expands as rapid as this place that is no surprise. The Mayor here makes Doug Ford look a saint. My point was people from this Municipality are now running the Province. I could tell you a number of stories how people operate here but wont on a public forum - this is what really made up out minds to leave Canada because we have no faith in the system. You should check out WTF Langford for a history of Bear Mountain - it makes interesting reading. Len Barry should have been charged but he got off scot free. The owners are constantly trying to dig up the mountain golf course, they have already dug up the10th hole and put houses on it and now trying to to develop the 6th and 7th holes. Bear Mountain has a community association and overwhelming voted to request Langford to ban short term rentals and Air BNB because its creating problems for the residents. Langford ignored them. This place is run by the few for the few and is not what I would expect in the 21st century. There are other reasons we have decided to leave one of the main ones is the cost of living is out of control in BC. Forget property prices why an earth would you want to bring low income families into this place when they cannot afford to live here? We can also retire 5 years earlier if we move back to the UK than we could if we stay in Canada. This is our experience of the place, others will have theirs but I would suggest people really do some deep research into the place before they move and look at the not so obvious. We had to move with the job rapidly and the people we asked about the area let us down knowing what the place was like. Even my HSBC bank manager who I am very good friends with tellls me the same.
getoutofbritainquick is offline  
Old Jun 18th 2019, 3:04 pm
  #37  
BE Enthusiast
 
getoutofbritainquick's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Victoria
Posts: 562
getoutofbritainquick is just really nicegetoutofbritainquick is just really nicegetoutofbritainquick is just really nicegetoutofbritainquick is just really nicegetoutofbritainquick is just really nicegetoutofbritainquick is just really nicegetoutofbritainquick is just really nicegetoutofbritainquick is just really nicegetoutofbritainquick is just really nicegetoutofbritainquick is just really nicegetoutofbritainquick is just really nice
Default Re: Second Class Citizen

Originally Posted by scilly View Post
What on earth made you buy on Bear Mountain???

That place has had quite the name since the idea was first promoted years back, went into receivership, and then the development finally got going. It has also always been well over-priced for what it was ...... unless one thought it was going to be exclusive.

I wouldn't have touched it with the proverbial barge pole!

I live in Vancouver, have lots of friends on the Island, mainly in and around Nanaimo or further north .............. nothing you say fits with what I know about the Island, except perhaps the large amount of development going on in Victoria and that you find everywhere these days.

Drug taking and stealing of copper wire and other metals is occurring in many places. Not so much stealing from substations around Vancouver now as the police got to work on the recyclers not to accept metal.

Methinks you got sucked in to a "lifestyle advertising", and fell for it.

I even like the thought that the Provincial Government is NDP, after many years of Liberal finangling and outright political skulldugery! That really harked back to the laughable government of the Social Credit days, which really did reward their friends.


I think you probably will do better in the UK with your attitude!
My attitude - I totally disagree what your assumptions but are not going to bother to reply. Believe what you like but we cant wait to get out of the place.
getoutofbritainquick is offline  
Old Jun 18th 2019, 3:38 pm
  #38  
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 37,715
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Second Class Citizen

Originally Posted by getoutofbritainquick View Post
We live on a golf resort .
Blimey, do you have wear plaid polyester all the time, like in Falling Down?
dbd33 is offline  
Old Jun 18th 2019, 7:30 pm
  #39  
A girly swot
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 28,577
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Second Class Citizen

Originally Posted by getoutofbritainquick View Post
... we cant wait to get out of the place.
Where do you think will be the next place you can't wait to get out of?

BristolUK is offline  
Old Jun 18th 2019, 9:01 pm
  #40  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 2,881
scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Second Class Citizen

Originally Posted by getoutofbritainquick View Post
The term unapposed refers to any viable opposition. Normally their is a healthy selection of alternative candidates - their never is in Langford. Thats the third set of 'different' results I have seen for the same election. One of the councillors did resign and was replaced by one of their buddies. We were going to vote but as soon as we reviewed the candidates we didn't both like many in the municpality. It seems some peole living in this area go around with their eyes closed and are totally unaware of their surroundings. Check out WTF Langford to find out a lilttle history of this place. .
1. I understand that here in Canada "unopposed" means NO other candidate running for that position, so the candidate is elected as "acclaimed".

There was 1 other candidate running for Mayor, therefore the incumbent was not unopposed


2. Ah ......... that is where you may have made a mistake, especially if the ones you DID like were new candidates.

You do NOT have to vote for ALL the candidates in Canadian elections, especially local ones. You cannot vote for MORE than the required number.

So, you could have gone and just voted for one or two candidates, and your ballot would have been accepted.

And of course, it really shouldn't matter whether both of you like the same candidate or not. One vote may cancel out the other, but that's what happens in a democracy ..... even between husband and wife

Last edited by scilly; Jun 18th 2019 at 9:05 pm.
scilly is offline  
Old Jun 18th 2019, 9:08 pm
  #41  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: bute
Posts: 8,130
scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Second Class Citizen

"getoutofbritain". Maybe you will head back to that country of which you said - "There is no leadership in the UK anymore. Politicians lie every day and is seen as an acceptable part of politics so what chance do the rest stand?"
scot47 is offline  
Old Jun 18th 2019, 9:12 pm
  #42  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 2,881
scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Second Class Citizen

Originally Posted by getoutofbritainquick View Post
We wished we didnt move to this place and have tried to move several times. We live on a golf resort which has been severley hit by the speculation tax and properties are difficult to sell. My wife and I met an Engineer on the ferry a year or so ago. He lived in Mill Bay had done some work for Langford. He said that they often took short cuts and ignored building codes. I have heard the same stories from work colleagues. When a place expands as rapid as this place that is no surprise. The Mayor here makes Doug Ford look a saint. My point was people from this Municipality are now running the Province. I could tell you a number of stories how people operate here but wont on a public forum - this is what really made up out minds to leave Canada because we have no faith in the system. You should check out WTF Langford for a history of Bear Mountain - it makes interesting reading. Len Barry should have been charged but he got off scot free. The owners are constantly trying to dig up the mountain golf course, they have already dug up the10th hole and put houses on it and now trying to to develop the 6th and 7th holes. Bear Mountain has a community association and overwhelming voted to request Langford to ban short term rentals and Air BNB because its creating problems for the residents. Langford ignored them. This place is run by the few for the few and is not what I would expect in the 21st century. There are other reasons we have decided to leave one of the main ones is the cost of living is out of control in BC. Forget property prices why an earth would you want to bring low income families into this place when they cannot afford to live here? We can also retire 5 years earlier if we move back to the UK than we could if we stay in Canada. This is our experience of the place, others will have theirs but I would suggest people really do some deep research into the place before they move and look at the not so obvious. We had to move with the job rapidly and the people we asked about the area let us down knowing what the place was like. Even my HSBC bank manager who I am very good friends with tellls me the same.

I think is precisely why all the advice given on this Forum to new comers is ................. rent at first. Do NOT buy without carefully looking at a situation and deciding where in the town and city you would like to live and where you would not. I've so many of the people who help on here tell pending immigrants "Do NOT rent or buy on some one else's advice or from Craig's List or Kijiji. Wait until after you've arrived and really seen the place"

It's called Due Diligence.

You could have rented AirBnB, a motel or hotel ........ there are lots in the Victoria area that offer long-term stays because of all the snowbirds escaping Eastern winters ........... or taken an apartment for a short time.

Time spent investigating Bear Mountain on the internet would have led to you a lot of times detailing why you probably should not consider the area. If you had to live on or near a gold course, there are plenty of other possibilities.

You have just provided another great example for newcomers to read.

Last edited by scilly; Jun 18th 2019 at 9:20 pm.
scilly is offline  
Old Jun 18th 2019, 9:20 pm
  #43  
Stand-up Philosopher
 
caretaker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Regina and Oliver
Posts: 10,855
caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Second Class Citizen

I'm a little surprised at all the push-back. I'm Canadian, love Canada, love Saskatchewan, born here, die here, all that, and I'm probably the first to think in cases like this, "Too bad, don't let it hit you on the way out.", but not when I give it just a little bit of thought. We all acknowledge that Canada isn't for everyone, and some aren't going to like it. We all acknowledge that each individual isn't going to have the same experiences, because each place is a different place, and each person is different, and they're all going to meet different people. In some cases it's going to be the people you meet, in some cases it's just you, but for whatever reason it doesn't always work out. I like to see people come here and like it, and I like the way they add to this country, but I suppose sometimes we have to try to let people go in the same spirit we welcome them with. The national character isn't about being vindictive.
caretaker is offline  
Old Jun 18th 2019, 9:31 pm
  #44  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 19,479
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Second Class Citizen

All very true.

No 2 people experience the same thing. Put 2 people in the same city and they will both experience it differently, one may love it, one may accept it, one may hate it. Some people love Vancouver, I see it as a mediocre city lacking the things I like and enjoy doing, but doesn't make Vancouver a bad city in anyway, just doesn't suit my needs and likes.

I have been here 15 years and its safe to assume if things haven't worked out and I haven't found a place I like, its doubtful I ever will, but doesn't make Canada bad, its just not for me, doesn't offer the lifestyle I want. But doesn't make the place bad and no reason for people to get defensive when people experience things differently and feel differently about a place.

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
I'm a little surprised at all the push-back. I'm Canadian, love Canada, love Saskatchewan, born here, die here, all that, and I'm probably the first to think in cases like this, "Too bad, don't let it hit you on the way out.", but not when I give it just a little bit of thought. We all acknowledge that Canada isn't for everyone, and some aren't going to like it. We all acknowledge that each individual isn't going to have the same experiences, because each place is a different place, and each person is different, and they're all going to meet different people. In some cases it's going to be the people you meet, in some cases it's just you, but for whatever reason it doesn't always work out. I like to see people come here and like it, and I like the way they add to this country, but I suppose sometimes we have to try to let people go in the same spirit we welcome them with. The national character isn't about being vindictive.
Jsmth321 is offline  
Old Jun 18th 2019, 9:37 pm
  #45  
BE Forum Addict
 
CanadaJimmy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Langley, BC
Posts: 1,579
CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Second Class Citizen

I agree. However I can also understand people's frustration when someone researches poorly and goes to a widely known bad town or city and then uses that to write-off the entire country.
CanadaJimmy is online now  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.