Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Second Class Citizen

Second Class Citizen

Old Mar 14th 2020, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Second Class Citizen

Originally Posted by adrianj
It really does depend,

Although I was born in the UK, I always felt like an immigrant and was discriminated against. So yes 2nd class citizen at times. Moving to Canada, discrimination is still a thing although it's more behind a smile.
Except now I am an immigrant as opposed to feeling like an immigrant.

I have read the ugly side of Canadians on the yahoo groups and it's pretty disgusting.

To my face and in general I don't feel like a 2nd class citizen. Well not when I driving in My BMW with the top down LOL
I think like most countries, if you integrate and are friendly you'll get a fair shake.
The only real issue I would have is with authorities, if they start distinguishing between "born" and "naturalized" Canadians in terms of your right and what you can and can't do.

So far this has never happened to me. As far as I know, "born" and "naturalized" are legally treated equal. I don't know how it is in the US, but I believe this would be different south of the border.

The only thing I noticed in practical life is that some people who were born in Canada, don't really like it, if you have an experience from other countries. However this would only happen if one has either poor language skills, starts comparing life to the one one left behind, or makes some indirect remarks that things are better in the country the came from.

But in the end, as you said, if you integrate and are friendly, it's a fair country. Overall the attitude in Canada is very positive to immigration. Political parties may have some different views, however all or a very strong majority of all parties see the benefit of immigration.
Old Mar 14th 2020, 1:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
As a migrant can you expect to be treated like a native-born citizen ?

Yes.
Old Mar 14th 2020, 1:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

dbd I would hope so too but observations in other parts of the world tell me this does not often happ
en. Canada may be better than other places !
Old Mar 14th 2020, 1:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
dbd I would hope so too but observations in other parts of the world tell me this does not often happ
en. Canada may be better than other places !
I believe that to be absolutely true of Guelph and to be true in varying degrees in other places within Canada where I have been. it doesn't necessarily imply being treated well!