Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Second Class Citizen

Second Class Citizen

Old Oct 29th 2019, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Second Class Citizen

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
the employees at this store might have felt 2nd class when being yelled at.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...aby-drug-store
Gross behavior. More evidence that white supremacy is still alive and well in Canada. There's a Facebook group called "Justin Trudeau Must Be Stopped" that is anti-muslim immigration and has some truly vile content.
https://globalnews.ca/news/6091196/facebook-investigating-19000-member-anti-muslim-group/

Just have to keep calling out this behavior really.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

craig_hoxton is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, this happened to me. Wasted 11 years here (my supposed peak earning years from my mid-30's to mid 40's) and only spent two of them in my field of work (financial media). My First World education and work experience (at some big names in my field) were of no interest to Toronto employers. Sadly, I'm looking at the propect of packing it in here in Toronto as minimum wage shit jobs is all that I can expect going forward.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 7:38 pm

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by craig_hoxton View Post
Yes, this happened to me. Wasted 11 years here (my supposed peak earning years from my mid-30's to mid 40's) and only spent two of them in my field of work (financial media). My First World education and work experience (at some big names in my field) were of no interest to Toronto employers. Sadly, I'm looking at the propect of packing it in here in Toronto as minimum wage shit jobs is all that I can expect going forward.
Hopefully you were aware before deciding to come to Canada that unless you have a niche profession (or in a trade) most professionals take a few steps backwards career wise, sometimes having to change career completely. It's very common.

Why would a Canadian company be interested in the work you have done in another Country - they won't, unless you have been headhunted. It'sa tough thing to deal with, I know. There's plenty of jobs out there though https://ca.indeed.com/Financial-Media-Marketing-jobs

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Categ...ada_Challenges
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Poten...llenges-Canada

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 12th 2019 at 7:40 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 8:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you looked outside the Toronto area?

Employers in Vancouver seem to have trouble finding qualified workers these days for higher level jobs, although chances are wages are lower as Vancouver suffers from lower wages vs other city's in Canada, but you might be able to get your foot into something more suited to your field.

Biggest expense in Vancouver is housing, everything else tends to be relatively affordable.

But yeah it's common to take steps backwards job wise when coming to Canada, that isn't unusual. I have worked over the years with very well educated individuals who were working low skill and low pay jobs as their experience and education was either not recognized or not considered on par with Canadian experience.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Nov 12th 2019 at 8:09 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

You are not alone- many of us on here have had to take a BIG step backwards.
Old Nov 13th 2019, 3:19 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Siouxie View Post
Hopefully you were aware before deciding to come to Canada that unless you have a niche profession (or in a trade) most professionals take a few steps backwards career wise, sometimes having to change career completely. It's very common.

Why would a Canadian company be interested in the work you have done in another Country - they won't, unless you have been headhunted. It'sa tough thing to deal with, I know. There's plenty of jobs out there though https://ca.indeed.com/Financial-Media-Marketing-jobs

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Categ...ada_Challenges
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Poten...llenges-Canada
It sounds like he's already taken a step backwards for most of the past 11 years though. He's not a newcomer.
Old Nov 13th 2019, 5:16 pm

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jandro View Post
It sounds like he's already taken a step backwards for most of the past 11 years though. He's not a newcomer.
Yes, I am aware of that thank you; however, he appeared shocked that was what happened... I was curious as to whether he was aware of this possibility before deciding to move to Canada - it's a common theme (having to take jobs at a lower level than you are used to), not surprising in the slightest.
Old Nov 13th 2019, 5:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie View Post
it's a common theme (having to take jobs at a lower level than you are used to), not surprising in the slightest.
Perhaps it's not surprising but it seems to me to be a very odd thing to do. If you want to move abroad then surely the sensible thing is to move to somewhere where you're in demand. If you want to go to a specific place then adapt yourself so as to be desirable when you get there. If you're an experienced and knowledgeable deck chair attendant and you move to Canada it's no good complaining that you'd be valuable in the Bahamas.