Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

School Uniform

School Uniform

Old Jul 7th 2007, 3:56 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School Uniform

Thanks, I am warming to this theme.

Here's an interesting article. Kids can also learn a lot about design, fashion and marketing and democracy too, while they're at it ......

http://www.education-world.com/a_adm...admin418.shtml
Old Jul 7th 2007, 4:00 am
Reunited

raine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Thanks, I am warming to this theme.

Here's an interesting article. Kids can also learn a lot about design, fashion and marketing and democracy too, while they're at it ......

http://www.education-world.com/a_adm...admin418.shtml
ok, ok, I'm luvvin it, can you come to school when I put this to the committee
Old Jul 7th 2007, 4:06 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

what about sponsorship as well, they could all have 'oilers' on the fronts of their jumpers and 'exxon' on the rear of the blazers.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 4:07 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raine66
ok, ok, I'm luvvin it, can you come to school when I put this to the committee

ROFL well you are welcome to use the article! Good Luck!
Old Jul 7th 2007, 4:11 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not suggesting it for any age group.

It's simply something I thought maybe up for discussion with the committee members.

So you're wanting this to go through the entire system from elementary to high school?
Old Jul 7th 2007, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

I just had a quick look through this thread and it seems like it's the Brits (naturally as it's britexpats) that are in favour of a uniform.

My only experience since being here is of my (at the time) 14 year old daughter attending school and loving the fact there were no school uniform requirements. Since then she's thrived over here in comparison to her old uniformed school back in the UK where she was periodically on the end of some bullying.

I recall her old school and it's uniformed yobbish atmosphere and it pales compared to the two schools she's now attended over here.

Sorry, but no one will convince me that school uniform encourages discipline it's all just nonsense. I used to work at a private school back in England and the behaviour of the kids was dreadful. Also, have you seen just how scruffy kids can look in a uniform they clearly don't want to wear? Plus it got more and more expensive as schools started insisting on funky little designs that meant parents had to buy from the school shop at inflated prices.

All anecdotal stuff of course but I truly doubt that a uniform helps a school run any better.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 4:26 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stepnek
Sorry, but no one will convince me that school uniform encourages discipline it's all just nonsense. .
quite right, sound thrashings and early morning runs followed by cold baths are the order of the day.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
quite right, sound thrashings and early morning runs followed by cold baths are the order of the day.
Exactly. Just like it was in my day!
Old Jul 7th 2007, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of light

Some very valid points have been made on this thread and its nice to see it being done in good spirit.

From my perspective, both as a parent and as someone who works with vulnerable children within a secondary school environment, I am in favour of uniforms providing the school is prepared to be consistent in the way it enforces the policy of uniform being worn in an appropriate way. I have never had any pupil tell me that wearing their uniform was restricting their freedom of expression and it is my belief that creativity and expression of ones self can easily be demonstrated in ways that do not conflict with the sense of community and belonging that uniforms can instill in young people.

It has been my experience that 'non uniform days' when pupils can wear what they want (within reason) cause a great deal of stress for those individuals who come from poorer families, those who's personal style is less conventional and those who have a generally low self image. Peer acceptance is immensely important to young people and being considered different or not as good as someone else simply because of the clothes they wear can have a disastrous impact on their school lives. A uniform on the other hand generally provides everyone with the safety of anonymity and allows the focus to be on who they are instead of what they wear. I find it hard to believe that young people in the Canadian education system are free from this kind of peer pressure and the resulting social/educational difficulties it creates.

Would it be wrong of me to suggest that those people who emigrate to Canada with children generally have the financial means to provide their children with clothes that are socially acceptable within their high school environments once there? If not (and I am more than happy to accept that this might be too much of a generalisation for some) then is it not fair to say that those children are bound to be happier not having to wear a uniform at their new schools because their own clothes are more comfortable and they still blend in?

Finally, I have never considered school uniform as being a 'costume of comformity'. Reminds me of something Wolfie from the 70's show Citizen Smith would say (now I am showing my age).

Come the revolution!!!!!

Stab vest on, barricaded in and awaiting the inevitable incoming fire

John
Old Jul 7th 2007, 12:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps a uniform school would a good choice for a newly arrived kid as it would be one less different thing, you can't help your children speaking better than the locals but at least with a uniform they won't stand out for having better clothes.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beastie

Would it be wrong of me to suggest that those people who emigrate to Canada with children generally have the financial means to provide their children with clothes that are socially acceptable within their high school environments once there? If not (and I am more than happy to accept that this might be too much of a generalisation for some) then is it not fair to say that those children are bound to be happier not having to wear a uniform at their new schools because their own clothes are more comfortable and they still blend in?
Truly, since arriving in Canada nearly three years ago we've found ourselves struggling a little financially. We haven't over indulged my teen daughter in designer clothing at all and I've never been aware of her feeling pressured to wear a label of one kind or another. Believe me she'd have no trouble in letting us know if she did!

Your point about one off non-uniformed days. Those days probably create pressure as to what to wear because they are one off special occasions. I'm not especially anti-uniform I just think that the reasons given for it's use really don't make a good argument and it's just a traditional parents viewpoint of "don't they all look nice in a uniform".
Old Jul 7th 2007, 2:52 pm
Reunited

raine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
So you're wanting this to go through the entire system from elementary to high school?
Like I said, I'm not suggesting it for any age group in particular.

It's simply something I thought maybe up for discussion with the committee members.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 3:20 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Like I said, I'm not suggesting it for any age group in particular.

But in your original post you stated "I'm thinking of approaching our school committee in September regarding school uniforms."

So is your school an elementary, junior high, high school, what?
Old Jul 7th 2007, 3:31 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
But in your original post you stated "I'm thinking of approaching our school committee in September regarding school uniforms."

So is your school an elementary, junior high, high school, what?
Elementary.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

I'm generally against uniforms.

I hated school, and 30 years later still feel ill at the thought of the place, so this will colour my opinion. We wore uniforms, one for summer with a straw boater, one for winter, with a felt hat. Plus gym clothes, summer and winter and hockey gear, Even the makes of coat and shoes were specified. They had to be bought at great cost from one shop in town, or you could get them second hand but my mother wouldnt send us to school in second hand clothes.(thank goodness) The paid for pupils still knew you were an 11 plus girl, the differences in class and income were there for all to see in the way you spoke, ie whether you called your parents mummy and daddy or mum and dad, also the type of car your parents drove, where you lived, took your holidays etc. Uniforms didnt even that out at all, plus left you open for more bullying by the others in the town who didnt go to that school. Ugh horrid horrid, schooldays the best days of your life?- my arse.

Anyway then I worked as a radiographer in the UK, uniform supplied by the hospital, no nail polish, hair tied back, no unusual hair colours etc. So more people telling me what to wear.

And now? I'm an x-ray tech I can wear what I like as long as its clean and smartish. I can buy scrubs to wear or i can wear a white coat over my own clothes. Trouble is I am confused by having this choice, what does everyone else wear, how will I fit in best? 40 years of indoctrination is hard to fight, but I'll get over it pretty soon and and loving being able to be me.

So no, no uniforms.

Last edited by daft batty; Jul 7th 2007 at 4:05 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.