Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

School Uniform

School Uniform

Old Jul 6th 2007, 4:28 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: School Uniform

Originally Posted by Londonuck
So kids with less money dont have the p*ss taken out of them by kids with more money.
Do you really think that a uniform is going to stop that?
Old Jul 6th 2007, 4:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Steve_P
So he can cross dress if he chooses?

That's nice.
All you two smart-asses, I changed it.....!
Old Jul 6th 2007, 4:34 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howard1944
Our Neighbour's daughter got so harassed by a pair of little bitc5S, 11 years of age, that she became suicidal, the solution was to enroll her in Branksome Hall where she flourished.

The Tormentors were children of very successful Business Women who were never home, but the little snots had all the latest Designer Labels.
Well, Howard, although you come down in favour of Canada in most areas, I take it you would concede this one point to Australia.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 4:39 pm
Canadiain

Notiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Have you ever attended a school that did not have uniforms so that you are making a valid comparison.
Yes, reread #12, and #20.

5 years with, 2 years without. Not counting junior school, which also had a uniform.

Peer pressure is huge, even at JK level there are signs of it here.

Last edited by Notiaink...honest; Jul 6th 2007 at 4:43 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

While I was back in England visiting I went into Sainsbury's and M&S and bought my kids navy sweatshirts and white/blue polo shirts. They wear them to school now with either shorts or trousers and I've had many positive comments from parents. It's easier for me with the washing and my kids look smart and they are perfectly happy. We don't have the 'what am I going to wear?' thing going on in the mornings.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 5:42 pm
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

Judy, and NZ, and most of the caribbean Islands,a nd to the Catholic Schooll system, and to the Private Schools, and to the Christian schools,a nd to those public Schools that have opten for uniforms.

10 Teenage Girls all can wear the same uniform in an entirely different manner, some looking like an old man's Fetish.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 6:11 pm
Reunited

raine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond repute

I think I'm going to print this out and take it with me to the committee members.

There are alot of valid points which are for and against it, and I suppose this is what I'll come up against when I approach these people.

Interesting tho that a few of you have come up with a DIY for your school uniform, I also done this and my son wears a pair of dark trousers/shorts and a white polo shirt. The thing is he's still a cheeky wee monkey so I don't think it has stopped him expressing himself in anyway.

My MIL sent the the M&S uniform book, must have another look at it to see what I can dress my daughter in for starting JK.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

Mizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter she is 10, asked me if she can have gift vouchers from "Gap" and "Lasenza Girl" for her birthday, she wants to get nice clothes for the new school year. I've told her I would rather get her vouchers from Zellers or Sears. She almost fainted and says no, her friends will laugh at her if she rock up with clothes from Zellers or Sears.

So I am in for school uniforms. Bring it on
Old Jul 6th 2007, 7:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mizz Teapot
My daughter she is 10, asked me if she can have gift vouchers from "Gap" and "Lasenza Girl" for her birthday, she wants to get nice clothes for the new school year.
Wait till she gets to high school. When they were in a non-uniform school my children were competing with kids who's parents could send them to Paris or New York for clothes. It was easier when they were at the uniformed school (one still is at a uniformed school) though there was still the need to wear Jimmy Choo's and stylish coats. All in all, I thought the uniform was a good thing for roughly NotIain's reasons.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 7:24 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
That's the west coast for ya.

My kids are in both uniformed and non uniformed schools. Give me the uniformed choice any day. Everything that NotIainkhonest says, I agree with. The two in uniforms cost me far less in clothes than the other two did as well.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raine66
I think it just makes life easier for parents.

You know exactly what your kids are wearing to school the next day, and everyone is going with exactly the same thing on, a little bit of self discipline in a way.

I don't know it just looks nice.
Chairman Mao tse tung thought so too ?????
Old Jul 6th 2007, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Kids are at school to learn and there is no evidence that uniforms make any difference one way or another. One thing that I would say is that if a school goes down the uniform route then it needs to be fully supported and enforced. Kids will always try to push it as far as they can.

One concern (from me as a parent of children in a uniform school) is that a considerable slice of teachers time is spent pulling kids up aboout their uniform. This takes staff away from what they should be doing and doesn't help to build positive relationships between staff and children.

I have even known children to be sent home and miss lessons for incorrect uniform. Now where is the learning in that!
Old Jul 6th 2007, 10:22 pm
Canadiain

Notiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
Now where is the learning in that!
They learn that in the real world there are rules that are enforced and boundaries not to be crossed for starters.

You show up at my place of work without your safety shoes and you get sent home too.

I wonder what happens if you show up for your shift at Tim Hortens in civies?
Old Jul 6th 2007, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

This is an interesting thread I have to say.

Hannah thinks it is "so cool" that she doesnt have to wear a school uniform now that she is in Canada - in the UK she wore the obligatory black trousers, blazer, sweatshirt, white shirt and school tie. Her school was very strict on uniform - if something was missing they would send you home to get it, inform your parents you were inappropriately dressed and give you a C4 - detention.

Yes I do think they OTT with it - but I also think that it breeds some kind of self respect to kids - which is something lacking in a lot of UK kids today.

The school in Canada monitors the stuff kids turn up to school in and skirts have to be a certain length and no offensive t shirts and the like. I think that this is good as this also makes the kids think about the choices of school wear more.

Now comparing the two as the kids in the UK are forced to conform to the wearing of school uniform I think that when they are out of school if just makes them want to rebel more in the things that they wear - belts as skirts, offensive tshirts etc. I feel this makes for the teens in the UK to rebel more against their parents wishes for their clothes and causes our girls especially to attract sooooo much unwanted attention for the opposite sex.

Looking at my cousins who have lived in Canada for nearly 30 years - they long to have their kids in school uniform so that as many of you have already said makes it easier to know what to wear, no peer pressure, smartness and equality etc.

If Canada was to bring uniforms in then I think I would have a very unhappy bunny

Gaynor
x
Old Jul 6th 2007, 10:54 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Our kids wore school uniforms back in the UK and I think it was good idea. All the kids looked smart and it cost very little to kit them out. As a mum I prefer to see a uniform. No uniforms here though. Don't think that kids are very fashion concious where I live now but can see problems in bigger cities with designer label snobbery if its anything like the UK.

Similarly, I worked in an office and always dressed in skirt/trousers/blouse/top while others in the same office wore jeans, often with too tight t-shirts exposing belly and occasional female butt crack - not pretty and not very professional IMHO especially as our office was open plan with reception area and clients were regularly shown around.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.