Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

School Uniform

School Uniform

Old Jul 6th 2007, 11:23 pm
Reunited

raine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School Uniform

That's it, I have 100% decided the contents of this thread is being shown to the committee members.

While we were having dinner I asked my 6 year old if he remembered having to wear a school uniform, when we informed me that... 'yes he did, and where was it, could he wear it to school now' oh bless.

I am quite obviously in agreement of school uniforms for pretty much the same reasons as the rest of you, I just don't know why they have never been implemented here, unless the reason is as Judy says.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 11:32 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raine66
I am quite obviously in agreement of school uniforms for pretty much the same reasons as the rest of you, I just don't know why they have never been implemented here, unless the reason is as Judy says.
What on earth makes you think they have never been implemented here? The are just considered unacceptable vestiges of the British class system, and so are rejected by the majority.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 1:32 am
Reunited

raine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
What on earth makes you think they have never been implemented here? The are just considered unacceptable vestiges of the British class system, and so are rejected by the majority.
OK wrong choice of words, since quite obviously private and catholic schools wear them.

As for it being a vestiges of the British class system, I thought vestiges meant something that once existed, where as the school uniform is very much part of the British system, and it's not only the british that wear them.

Last edited by raine66; Jul 7th 2007 at 1:56 am. Reason: canny spell
Old Jul 7th 2007, 2:22 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

As for it being a vestiges of the British class system, I thought vestiges meant something that once existed, where as the school uniform is very much part of the British system, and it's not only the british that wear them.
Yes, something that once existed in Canada, but doesn't anymore. Thank goodness. No doubt it is still part of the British class system. This is not a positive.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 2:25 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

That's it, I have 100% decided the contents of this thread is being shown to the committee members.

While we were having dinner I asked my 6 year old if he remembered having to wear a school uniform, when we informed me that... 'yes he did, and where was it, could he wear it to school now' oh bless.

If you show the contents of this thread to the committee members (the majority of whom, I am guessing, are Canadian), and say to them, "You're against school uniforms because not having school uniforms is an American custom and you imitate American customs," I predict they'll defend themselves against that suggestion.

I don't think that the average Canadian parent who is asked his/her opinion of school uniforms is conscious that he/she thinks along American lines when it comes to this issue.

I'm just saying that that is my personal take on it.

Think about it. Most countries in which cricket is popular are countries that have school uniforms.

Just my observation.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 2:56 am
Reunited

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
If you show the contents of this thread to the committee members (the majority of whom, I am guessing, are Canadian), and say to them, "You're against school uniforms because not having school uniforms is an American custom and you imitate American customs," I predict they'll defend themselves against that suggestion.

I don't think that the average Canadian parent who is asked his/her opinion of school uniforms is conscious that he/she thinks along American lines when it comes to this issue.

I'm just saying that that is my personal take on it.

Think about it. Most countries in which cricket is popular are countries that have school uniforms.

Just my observation.

No that was not my intention at all, I was just thinking more along the lines of a for and against.

I have not intention of going in there all guns blazing and why aren't the children wearing school uniforms, it's simply not my style. I was purely going to put the motion forward as a possibility and maybe asking them to read some of the comments of this thread.

The thread was not submitted as an argument as to wether or not the children should wear a school uniform or not.

I have asked the 30 or so people whom I have got to know over a very short period in school, most of whom are Canadian, their opinion on this, and to my surprise they have said they are all for it.

Yes you're probably right that most countries in which cricket is popular are countries that have school uniforms, for very obvious reasons.

I spoke with my sister today who lives in the US and she told me that her middle child wore a school uniform. Ok albeit she is now 17, and at the time she wore it between the ages of 7-9 when they lived in Boston, but they still wore one.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 3:00 am
Reunited

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Yes, something that once existed in Canada, but doesn't anymore. Thank goodness. No doubt it is still part of the British class system. This is not a positive.
I'm sorry but it still does exist in Canada.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 3:22 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

i have just registered my daughter in her new school, it wasn't the dress of the kids that surprised me, i have visited schools here before and realise its come as you please pretty much, but the standard of dress of the teachers, jeans and t-shirts mostly, male and female. now not that this makes them any less of a teacher of course, and it certainly didn't put me off, its just different.
what was important was the academic prowess of the school and all the people there, does what teachers or pupils dress in affect their teaching or ability to learn? does a standard of dress invoke standards, discipline, morals and ethics, or is it example, the example of someone they respect for being knowledgeable, kind, trusting and fair.

i'll stick my neck out and say maybe this is a little culture shock, i don't know of any schools in my area, in england?, i stand to be corrected, without uniform any more.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 3:24 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sorry but it still does exist in Canada.

The question that so far I don't think has been asked is, what age group are you suggesting this for?
Old Jul 7th 2007, 3:41 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
The question that so far I don't think has been asked is, what age group are you suggesting this for?
probably without putting words in his/her mouth, up to leaving as in the uk. i can see his point, its certainly easier, and measures could be put in place to reduce cost, suppliers can always get around this of course, and then there is the issue currently in good old blighty where certain schools were making their uniforms exorbitantly expensive in order to exclude the peasants.
on that note i think the class system point is a fair one. uniform is also a little militaristic i think, i'm still brainwashed and have been out 10yrs after only serving 7yrs, not good, something to be said for individualism and self expression.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 3:44 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

How about ...... if considering introducing a uniform to a school ..... 1) ask the kids what they feel, ie whether they would like a uniform. I think a surprising number would actually be quite keen!

......And then 2) ask the kids to design it. I believe this has been done with great success in schools before.

This gives the kids both freedom of expression and ownership of the uniform. It doesn't have to be completely "uniform", in that some choices can be given, to allow for some personal input to be included as well as a democratically agreed uniform voted for (at least primarily) by the kids themselves.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 3:47 am
Reunited

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I'm not suggesting it for any age group.

It's simply something I thought maybe up for discussion with the committee members.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 3:49 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
How about ...... if considering introducing a uniform to a school ..... 1) ask the kids what they feel, ie whether they would like a uniform. I think a surprising number would actually be quite keen!

......And then 2) ask the kids to design it. I believe this has been done with great success in schools before.

This gives the kids both freedom of expression and ownership of the uniform. It doesn't have to be completely "uniform", in that some choices can be given, to allow for some personal input to be included as well as a democratically agreed uniform voted for (at least primarily) by the kids themselves.
I actually think that's a great idea.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 3:51 am
Reunited

Originally Posted by Morwenna

I love it
Old Jul 7th 2007, 3:52 am
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
I actually think that's a great idea.
ditto. that seems like the best of both worlds to me, as long as those opposed to the kids decision, whatever it may be, abide by it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.