Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

School Uniform

School Uniform

Old Jul 9th 2007, 11:36 am
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of
Default Re: School Uniform

Steve-P, why would anyone in Calgary have seven families in a home and there is an abundance of Charity Stores where good clothing is very cheap or free, albeit slightly used.?

there are far too many Social Programmes that I have trouble buying into your argument.

7 Families, a major shortage of unskilled labour, plenty of jobs, yet 7 families must huddle together, i don't buy it.

We were dirt poor in the UK, the 50's., whole Council Flat thing, no socks in winter , 8 kids, I got to wear a school uniform, I felt like all the other kids.

Today I am highly educated and quite wealthy, I think my roots drove me to outwork and to out study the other guys, and gals.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 1:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen Parnell
Getting back to the original post, school uniform or not, there are lots of reasons for and against and all have been posted here.

At the end of the day, the canadian culture is not to have uniform. So at the end of the day you can be in England with school uniform or be in Canada without it.

I remember when I did live in England people complained about people emigrating to England and then wanting things changed to thier old culture. Apparently it is hard now to fly the St Georges flag in some places because we do not want to offend other cultures.

Also as it is in the culture in the UK to have uniform every clothes store sells uniform. Thus it can be brought very cheaply. In Canada I would not know which shop to visit as I know walmart/old navy/ gap do not sell uniform, so you are going to have to find a shop to import the uniform in. The expense would be high.

Just remember why you moved here, I like the canadian culture and want to keep it. If I reach a stage where I do not like it, I am sure there are plenty of airlines that will sell me ticket back to the UK.
Eh? Loads of schools in Toronto have uniforms, it's not a foreign thing to Canada.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sam/stu
Its not a case of 'tradition' and its not a British thing either.! Its more to do with the practicalites(?). What do you do when you 8 year old daughter has a 'hissy' fit on a Monday morning because the clothes you have laid out for her are not 'trendy' enough. Your 15 year old son brings out a pair of 'bum skimming' shorts (hope those boxers are clean), and your 6 year old starts arguing that knee length shorts aren't trendy. In the UK (here we go again), I ironed my eldest sons shirt, rubbed an iron over the little'uns tops and trousers/skirts, if they were lucky they might even have got their sweatshirts ironed on a good day(!!). My eldest son has even kept his tie as a momento. No arguments, school uniform was as it was. You went to school looking like everyone else 'cos you were learning like everyone else - immigrant/high flyer/needs to concentrate more/average 'joe'/plonding along/etc So what! At the weekend Mum and Dad bought you nice clothes to go out in.
Wheres the problem?
Anyone that has a problem with the issue if school uniform has obviously not got nothing better in their lives to argue about!!
Goodness me. Who's arguing? We're on a forum discussing the pros and cons of school uniform. This subject caught my interest and I wanted to contribute. A problem with school uniform? Nope. just an opinion.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 1:34 pm
Account Closed

sam/stu is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stepnek
Goodness me. Who's arguing? We're on a forum discussing the pros and cons of school uniform. This subject caught my interest and I wanted to contribute. A problem with school uniform? Nope. just an opinion.
Sorry, point taken. Maybe I used the wrong word there! I am, like you, just putting my point across.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 1:47 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

School uniform is clearly an emotive issue. I'm in favour.

My stepson was not pleased when we moved to Gatineau and stuck him in a school with uniform. His displeasure wore off pretty quickly. The "uniform" is merely a range of clothes in various colours. It's not nerdy and the mix-and-match opportunities are many. And there is no peer-pressure.

He has just graduated from high school and will be going to CEGEP in the Fall. This is when competitive clothing will start.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 2:07 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Howard1944
Steve-P, why would anyone in Calgary have seven families in a home and there is an abundance of Charity Stores where good clothing is very cheap or free, albeit slightly used.?

there are far too many Social Programmes that I have trouble buying into your argument.

7 Families, a major shortage of unskilled labour, plenty of jobs, yet 7 families must huddle together, i don't buy it.

We were dirt poor in the UK, the 50's., whole Council Flat thing, no socks in winter , 8 kids, I got to wear a school uniform, I felt like all the other kids.

Today I am highly educated and quite wealthy, I think my roots drove me to outwork and to out study the other guys, and gals.
OK the seven families might have been a stretch but certainly two or three.

You obviously haven't had much to do with refugees.

Some are fiercely proud and will not have anything to do with welfare, they do not speak English, they are barely literate in the own language so getting a job is extremely difficult, what they do get barely makes ends meet.

You were successful good for you but not everyone is that fortunate.