Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

School Uniform

School Uniform

Old Jul 6th 2007, 4:12 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School Uniform

Originally Posted by raine66
Can anyone tell me why most PS across Ontario, or maybe even Canada for that matter don't have school uniforms.
Because the USA doesn't have them.

In many aspects of life, Canada takes its example from the USA rather than from the UK.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 4:13 pm
Reunited

raine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I don't necessarily agree with you.
What part don't you agree with?
Old Jul 6th 2007, 4:14 pm
Canadiain

Notiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud of

Personal freedom aside (like kids have any of that at school anyway...go there, do this, he here at this time etc) I think the main resistance is because once its gone its seen as an additional financial burden to buy into it again, and that kills any attempt to reintroduce it.

Besides once they graduate they will probably get a nice uniform at Timmys or MacDs, so why not start them early to get used to it.

Last edited by Notiaink...honest; Jul 6th 2007 at 5:25 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 4:14 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Notiaink...honest
Fair enough, but I know enough teachers that do, and it makes sense to me, although kids will still pick on other kids anyway.

My "main" school had uniforms, and compared to a school I later went to that didnt, it certainly made a difference, although it could just be that the first one was a selective grammar school and expected and maintained certain standards of behaviour that the second comprehensive did not.

We fostered our independence by bending the rules on sock colours and wearing our ties skinny side out. Besides, as soon as you got home the uniform was off and we wore whatever we felt like, and we mostly grew up to be well balanced independent individuals.
I also know a number teachers, my son is one and believe me what the kids wear to school is not a major issue as long as it meets some rules concerning common decency.

Most kids grow up to be well balanced individuals without having to wear school uniforms too, that argument goes both ways.

More of an issue is cell phones and text messaging in class.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 4:16 pm
Canadiain

Notiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud of

I also know a number teachers, my son is one and believe me what the kids wear to school is not a major issue as long as it meets some rules concerning common decency.

Most kids grow up to be well balanced individuals without having to wear school uniforms too, that argument goes both ways.

More of an issue is cell phones and text messaging in class.
I certainly agree about phones

Has he taught in a school with uniforms too to make a valid comparison?

My (albeit ancient) experience was that as a student, there was WAAAAY more pressure to conform in the non uniform school than there ever was in the uniformed one.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 4:19 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Besides once they graduate they will probably get a nice uniform at Timmys or MacDs, so why not start them early to get used to it.
Exactly... get them use to working for Da Man rather than for themselves.

I personally think that's frightening.

Originally Posted by raine66
What part don't you agree with?
I just don't think that peer pressure is as big an issue as some make it out to be.

I see no need for uniforms.

Normal everyday clothing is good enough for school.
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

I hated my school uniform, and was glad for my kids that they didn't have to wear one.

I do think that school uniforms limit freedom of expression.

The things that people say in favour of school uniforms are a postponement of life skills that kids have to pick up sooner or later and/or issues that they have to face sooner or later.

When you work in an office, you have to figure out how to look neat without wearing a uniform. You have to figure out how to budget for your work wardrobe. If you work with a colleague who has a collection of shoes that rivals that of Imelda Marcos, you have to be able to get over it and get on with your job.

Anyway, you guys are in CANADA now. Take it or leave it.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 4:22 pm
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

Our Neighbour's daughter got so harassed by a pair of little bitc5S, 11 years of age, that she became suicidal, the solution was to enroll her in Branksome Hall where she flourished.

The Tormentors were children of very successful Business Women who were never home, but the little snots had all the latest Designer Labels.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 4:22 pm

Has he taught in a school with uniforms too to make a valid comparison?
No, there are no high schools in the Calgary Board that I know of that have uniforms.

Have you ever attended a school that did not have uniforms so that you are making a valid comparison.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 4:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

I went to a private catholic school for 13 years and had to wear a uniform. It was an ungly throw-up green colour skirt and jacket, with a white blouse, black tie and black oxfords.

I hated it, it was SO ugly compared to the lovely uniforms I see kids wearing today.

My son wears a uniform every day for school. Grey pants or shorts, White shirt and navy blazer. He really looks very nice.

Last edited by willmore; Jul 6th 2007 at 4:28 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 4:24 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by willmore
White skirt and navy blazer. He really looks very nice.
That's the west coast for ya.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 4:25 pm
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

Response to Judy, My Sons were in private School for many years, uniforms were great, when they went to a public High school, Leaside, they wore normal clothes, but fortunatly were rebels who refused to wear labels or wht the other kids wore.

My Younger Son was one of the early Snow Boarders, attitude and all, he quit when the labels hit the slopes and Designer Boards came in vogue.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by willmore

My son wears a uniform every day for school. Grey pants or shorts, White skirt and navy blazer. He really looks very nice.
So he can cross dress if he chooses?

That's nice.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 4:26 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Not in Calgary.

Why would anyone want uniforms anyway?
So kids with less money dont have the p*ss taken out of them by kids with more money.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.