Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Removal Companies in to Quote

Removal Companies in to Quote

Old Nov 12th 2008, 8:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Removal Companies in to Quote

Originally Posted by thebakers4
If there are any questions about the bits you have in the container only you can answer them, but yes for a few of approx £300 you can get the customs clearance done for you but you still have to be there.
Our goods came to Calgary via Tippett & Richardson (who were fine) - and they cleared our container for us. However, our container was 'especially' chosen and was searched which caused us some stress and a sleepless night - but we did not have to be there, even though we offered to attend

Originally Posted by gary123
and clean all outdoor equipment of dirt and mud - unless you want customs to see your dirty things and then charge you for cleaning!
It's not a case of being charged for cleaning the items. The harsh reality is that the whole container could be refused entry if customs are having one of those days and do not like your soil-laden garden tools - and sent straight back again - at your cost. Scrub everything - and list it on your "goods to follow" forms as disinfected !

Personally, I've never heard of anyone on this forum reporting this for Canada, but I have heard this occur for New Zealand. Other countries don't want our dirt and soil particles!!
Old Nov 12th 2008, 8:40 pm
KJM
BE Enthusiast

KJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to all

Hi

The original quote was £4485.00 plus insurance so I didn't bad.

Who has quoted for you? and how much

I have sent you a PM

K

Last edited by KJM; Nov 12th 2008 at 8:44 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ann m
It's not a case of being charged for cleaning the items. The harsh reality is that the whole container could be refused entry if customs are having one of those days and do not like your soil-laden garden tools - and sent straight back again - at your cost. Scrub everything - and list it on your "goods to follow" forms as disinfected !
I would take it one step further and where possible place items in clear bags, seal them up. A few years back when the UK had foot and mouth outbreak I was travelling from Germany to Canada with the army. This was the advice we were given for boots etc that would be likely to have been in contact with soil. The idea being that as it is bagged and sealed it wont contaminate anything else, so only the offensive item being removed and not all your belongings. It was a hard exercise that year as my left boot never made it through customs
Old Nov 12th 2008, 9:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dinger24
It was a hard exercise that year as my left boot never made it through customs
Old Nov 12th 2008, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

treehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nice

Have started preliminaries for moving from our two bedroom flat. We're not taking all our furniture but we have quite a lot of 'junk'. So far very rough unseen quotes have ranged from £2500 to £4500 so...lots of leverage to work with
Old Nov 12th 2008, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

Moggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to all

Hi
Am using Fox to ship to Thunder Bay at just under £5k for a 20' container. They start next Wednesday with the packing. So far, have found them very good - local depot as well as Steve at head office - will post after they have been to let you know how this end went.

Only 10 days before landing! OMG!
Old Nov 13th 2008, 6:35 am
Permanent Resident

The Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud of

My best quote so far is with PSS and that is just under £5K, why is there such a difference in people's quotes?

Thanks for the PM KJM I am going to call them today.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 7:55 am
Banned

paul090971 is an unknown quantity at this point

uk haulage could be a few £100 difference, if a removal company uses a line ex southampton, the cost will be very different if you live in Newcastle compared to if you live in Bournemouth.

Originally Posted by The Ross Family
My best quote so far is with PSS and that is just under £5K, why is there such a difference in people's quotes?

Thanks for the PM KJM I am going to call them today.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 1:44 pm
KJM
BE Enthusiast

KJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to all

Hi All,

Just for the benefit of the thread and PM's that I have been receiving, my winning quote company was knocked down three times by me to win my business.

All the removal companies are knocking down their quotes in order to win the business so don't accept 1st or 2nd offers.

Its time to save money.

K
Old Nov 16th 2008, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

FarrellFamily is an unknown quantity at this point

That's good to know, thanks
Old Nov 16th 2008, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

pollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to all

Originally Posted by thebakers4
Ps dont take washing machine and electrical items as they wont work - 220v here and 110v in Canada - tv's will only work if they are NTSC compatible as Europe is PAL

Yes everything will be done for you and its all straight forward - the bigger companies will average 6-8 weeks but the company I intend to use say about 20 days (approx) which means we wont be without our bits for too long
Cheers again
Jan
Hi what company did you use as I am just getting quotes.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 6:17 pm
Permanent Resident

The Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud of

HI KJM

Did you use the company you PM'd me about in the end? If so have them coming this Wednesday, so fingers crossed.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 7:12 pm
Banned

paul090971 is an unknown quantity at this point

you may think you can get it cheaper by haggling but please be aware that as the dollar rate sinks the prices are going to get higher. In July the $3000 freight fee was @ $2.05/£ its expected to drop to $1.3/£ so that an increase of £845. You may find that if you are moving in a couple of months time your charges are alot higher.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 3:28 am
KJM
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Ross Family
HI KJM

Did you use the company you PM'd me about in the end? If so have them coming this Wednesday, so fingers crossed.
Yes I did....and they have been very hopeful.

Tell them you are looking for the best price from 3 companies but DONT TELL THEM WHO THE COMPETITION IS at this stage.

Good luck

K
Old Nov 17th 2008, 3:30 am
KJM
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by paul090971
you may think you can get it cheaper by haggling but please be aware that as the dollar rate sinks the prices are going to get higher. In July the $3000 freight fee was @ $2.05/£ its expected to drop to $1.3/£ so that an increase of £845. You may find that if you are moving in a couple of months time your charges are alot higher.
Paul.

I have made sure that mine is a fixed price but I do hope to move in the next couple of weeks.

Maybe wise words for some people to note.

K

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.