Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Removal Companies in to Quote

Removal Companies in to Quote

Old Oct 30th 2008, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

treehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nice
Default Re: Removal Companies in to Quote

Thanks emmabell - we definitely don't have enough stuff to fill a whole container, and based upon what I've read (and my parent's experiences - they moved back to Canada a few months ago) I figured around £2000 was a rough guesstimate. Query tho - we'll be living with family for an indefinite period whilst we get on our feet (probably 6-8 weeks), do you know if the shipping companies have a limit on how long they will hold stuff for shipping? Forgive is this is a stupid question, I'm new to all this.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 5:24 am
KJM
BE Enthusiast

KJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to all

Originally Posted by The Ross Family
Just remembered - sorry.

Both to date have told us NO FOODSTUFF OF ANY KIND although I do believe others have managed to get stuff packed.

Daughter can't live without Marmite.

Did anyone get a company to take their tins etc?
I also got told
No baskets
No candles
No flammable products
Clean the bottom of your shoes
etc etc
Old Oct 31st 2008, 5:26 am
KJM
BE Enthusiast

KJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to all

Still waiting for the robinson quote and then I will update you all

K
Old Oct 31st 2008, 8:11 am
Permanent Resident

The Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud of

Got my Robinsons quote this morning, bottom line figures was £4,095. Haven't read through in detail yet will let you all know later.

Have PSS to quote this afternoon.

Also told

no dried flowers
no herbs or spices
no tinned goods
no cleaning products
no cosmetics
no showergel/shampoo etc

At this rate I am going to need another suitcase to take with me with all my bits and bobs.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 8:56 am
KJM
BE Enthusiast

Got my Robinsons quote this morning, bottom line figures was £4,095. Haven't read through in detail yet will let you all know later.

Also told

no dried flowers
no herbs or spices
no tinned goods
no cleaning products
no cosmetics
no showergel/shampoo etc

At this rate I am going to need another suitcase to take with me with all my bits and bobs.
and then your insurance on top.....
Old Oct 31st 2008, 3:23 pm
Permanent Resident

The Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud of

Too true.

PSS just left - seemed very professional. Gut reaction so far is PSS, then Robinsons, then White's (at a push). Don't know if I should get anyone else round or will I just be getting quotes for ever and a day.

PSS quote is due on Wednesday, will then sit down and decide. I would be interested to see who you decide to go with.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really nice

We used Robinsons - North Wales to Edmonton. They were ace!! All quotes were pretty much the same give or take a few hundred, but their service was very good.

Insurance can be expensive!!

They export wrapped and packed our stuff at the end of June, stored it until we gave them the nod, we arrived here on 29 Aug, our stuff was packed in a container and left Liverpool on 4 Sept, and was in Montreal within 10 days. It was in Edmonton on 25 Sept ready for Customs clearance.

Successful move - nothing broken and nothing missing.

BEWARE ... when your stuff arrives by rail, the Canadian Pacific Railway give the company on this side very little time to get your stuff out, so you could incur charges for storage at the railway. AMJ Campbell delivered our stuff. I wouldn't say my experience with them was excellent, but the lads unloading did a good job.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 5:11 pm
KJM
BE Enthusiast

Too true.

PSS just left - seemed very professional. Gut reaction so far is PSS, then Robinsons, then White's (at a push). Don't know if I should get anyone else round or will I just be getting quotes for ever and a day.

PSS quote is due on Wednesday, will then sit down and decide. I would be interested to see who you decide to go with.
If you have the time get around GB Liners around.

I will post my quotes in the morning
Old Oct 31st 2008, 5:12 pm
KJM
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lloydies
We used Robinsons - North Wales to Edmonton. They were ace!! All quotes were pretty much the same give or take a few hundred, but their service was very good.

Insurance can be expensive!!

They export wrapped and packed our stuff at the end of June, stored it until we gave them the nod, we arrived here on 29 Aug, our stuff was packed in a container and left Liverpool on 4 Sept, and was in Montreal within 10 days. It was in Edmonton on 25 Sept ready for Customs clearance.

Successful move - nothing broken and nothing missing.

BEWARE ... when your stuff arrives by rail, the Canadian Pacific Railway give the company on this side very little time to get your stuff out, so you could incur charges for storage at the railway. AMJ Campbell delivered our stuff. I wouldn't say my experience with them was excellent, but the lads unloading did a good job.
A couple of my quotes use AMJ Campbell......great
Old Oct 31st 2008, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

Mim_Pangers will become famous soon enoughMim_Pangers will become famous soon enough

We had AMJ Campbell on arrival to Edmonton and they were fantastic. They called me Friday to say the shipment had arrived into the railroad. Could I go to Customs Mon or Tues to get release. I went on Monday and by 10am after 5mins our goods were released. Phoned AMJ Campbell to tell them, he called me back an hour later to say they could deliver the goods the next day! Fabulous. The guys unpackign were fantastic. Brilliant after our UK expeirence.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mim_Pangers
We had AMJ Campbell on arrival to Edmonton and they were fantastic. They called me Friday to say the shipment had arrived into the railroad. Could I go to Customs Mon or Tues to get release. I went on Monday and by 10am after 5mins our goods were released. Phoned AMJ Campbell to tell them, he called me back an hour later to say they could deliver the goods the next day! Fabulous. The guys unpackign were fantastic. Brilliant after our UK expeirence.
We had AMJ Campbell at this end too and they were reasonably competent in the office and very efficient when here and unpacking.

E&J.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Also told

no dried flowers
no herbs or spices
no tinned goods
no cleaning products
no cosmetics
no showergel/shampoo etc

We brought a big box containing Marmite, Branston, Colmans mustard, stock cubes, custard powder, tea, chocolate etc.etc. We also brought cosmetics, toiletries, shampoo, herbs and spices.

The packers just labelled it "kitchen goods" and "bathroom sundries".

We haven't actually used all the food yet and have been here 14 months! Food we thought essential in England just doesn't seem so important here - except Marmite!

Last edited by fuschiagirl; Oct 31st 2008 at 6:49 pm.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

no dried flowers
no herbs or spices
no tinned goods
no cleaning products
no cosmetics
no showergel/shampoo etc
OK your having a GIRAFF why on earth would you want to pack this stuff This is all sundries that can be purchased in any modern country. So why on earth would you want to take up space in a container that you are paying for?
Old Nov 1st 2008, 9:01 am
KJM
BE Enthusiast

Quotes to date without checking the small print.

This is a sole 20ft container

Robinson £4095.00
GB Liners £4447.00
Fox £4130.00

then insurance on top.
Old Nov 1st 2008, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Beastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of light

I would recommend getting as many quotes as you can, even from companies that you don't particularly want to use but know will provide a low quote. Once you have all the quotes in you can then send all of the companies notification of the cheapest price you have been given in order to provide them with the 'oportunity' to revise their quote in line with the lowest received.

You will find that all of the companies will lower their quotes to secure your business. Once the revised prices are in you can then select the company that impressed you the most. Their revised price may not be the lowest but you will get their services cheaper than they originally quoted.

We have not moved yet, and are no longer planning on doing so for a couple of years. However, before our plans changed we went through the process of getting quotes ourselves. We used Fox who provided the lowest price but appeared completely innept as the benchmark for the other companies we contacted. The other companies all dropped their prices, some by a considerable amount.

The way all the prices suddenly lowered made us wonder why the original quotes were less competitive in the first place. We came to the conclusion that they all factor in the possibility that people will do what we did so they up their first price to give them room to lower it if necessary in order to get your business and still make a reasonable profit.

If you have the time to do this then it makes sense. Takes a little bit longer but why pay the first price they quote if you can get them to provide the same service cheaper?

Last edited by Beastie; Nov 1st 2008 at 11:30 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.